Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

Aramek posted:

Every* video game should be played on the easiest difficulty setting. Video games exist to entertain us and are not actually enriching. People seeking challenge and meaning in video games are not obtaining it from real life so by pushing themselves in them are doing it to try to obtain fulfillment.

*Except Elite Beat Agents, play that over and over on harder settings until you get perfect S ranks on every track. poo poo owns.

This. The number of cutscenes in a video game is inversely proportional to my chances of playing it. Don't show me the action, let me loving play it.

I don't care how well regarded it is, if it's "cinematic" or whatever bullshit, I'm not playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Cutscene placement is more important than length. A five minute long cutscene at the end of a level is way better than a 30 second long cutscene, then 30 seconds of gameplay, then another 20 second long cutscene.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I always felt like cutscenes should be rewards and breathers.

You did it! Here's some neat story you can kick back and watch before a bird kicks you off a bridge a hundred times.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Cutscenes never bother me if they are well directed and not slow paced (especially for opening cutscenes). I find it very hard to skip them, they just feel like part of the product, good or bad.

I

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Scaling game difficulty by making things bullet sponges is not fun. Make them more aware, better at sneaking up, working together, stuff like that, don't just make me burn twice as much ammo on something with the exact same behavior. Also, hits to critical areas, like a head or dead center chest shot on a human, should be instant kills, not minor annoyances to them. If I'm picking off one guy from a few hundred feet away, I shouldn't have to use a rocket launcher.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Of all games the Stalker series did it like that. Normal difficulty is more bullet spongey than hardest, where everything is super lethal, to you and the enemies.

But, such is life in the zone.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

GWBBQ posted:

Scaling game difficulty by making things bullet sponges is not fun. Make them more aware, better at sneaking up, working together, stuff like that, don't just make me burn twice as much ammo on something with the exact same behavior. Also, hits to critical areas, like a head or dead center chest shot on a human, should be instant kills, not minor annoyances to them. If I'm picking off one guy from a few hundred feet away, I shouldn't have to use a rocket launcher.

Have you played Sniper Elite 4?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Nobody ever talks about the benefits of dam collapses

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pastry of the Year posted:

I always felt like cutscenes should be rewards and breathers.

You did it! Here's some neat story you can kick back and watch before a bird kicks you off a bridge a hundred times.

Ninja Gaiden was such a good game.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Gripweed posted:

Nobody ever talks about the benefits of dam collapses

When they redid the entire map in Fortnite last year, they added a dam in the southern part of the map.

I know that fucker is going to collapse at some point and it’s making me mighty anxious waiting for it to happen. :argh:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Vandar posted:

When they redid the entire map in Fortnite last year, they added a dam in the southern part of the map.

I know that fucker is going to collapse at some point and it’s making me mighty anxious waiting for it to happen. :argh:

Dams suck rear end. They're absolutely destroy the ecosystem both above and below the dam. They're like environmental atomic bombs. And they create reservoirs, and only bad things happen at reservoirs. Everybody knows reservoirs are bad news. Seriously, which of these sentences sounds natural to you?

"They got married down at the reservoir!"

or

"They found another torso down at the reservoir"

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Gripweed posted:

Dams suck rear end. They're absolutely destroy the ecosystem both above and below the dam. They're like environmental atomic bombs. And they create reservoirs, and only bad things happen at reservoirs. Everybody knows reservoirs are bad news. Seriously, which of these sentences sounds natural to you?

"They got married down at the reservoir!"

or

"They found another torso down at the reservoir"

Yup, better burn more coal

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Piss Meridian posted:

I'm guessing you own a jetski dealership.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Beavers are pretty cool though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Beavers are pretty cool though.

A capybara hosed a duck-billed platypus and here we are.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I have no problem with beaver dams

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Beaver dams smell bad. People dams generate PS4 food.

People dams > beaver dams

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

PS4s eat dead ecosystems?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Amoeba102 posted:

PS4s eat dead ecosystems?

As does every other electrical device, yes.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Piss Meridian posted:

Most dams have nothing to do with generating power.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

dammed if you do, dammed if you don't

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
In that case I choose to dam.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Monkees were a way better orchestra than the Beatles.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
Boomers are the most successful generation because they worked harder than anyone else. Gen X and millennials and whoever comes after that will be poor because they are lazy.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

There's a special class of poster who sees a troll post, knows it's a troll post, but still feels a need to debate with it anyway. And they're terrible. They're worse posters than the original troll

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Adam Sandler's movies have sucked for a long time (except Uncut Gems) but I loving love the man for grifting millions and millions of dollars from Hollywood to basically go on vacation with his friends.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He seems like a really cool guy too. There hasn't been any weird #metoo stuff about him has there?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

He seems like a really cool guy too. There hasn't been any weird #metoo stuff about him has there?

No he's just a Republican.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Adam Sandler's movies have sucked for a long time (except Uncut Gems) but I loving love the man for grifting millions and millions of dollars from Hollywood to basically go on vacation with his friends.

It's really not a grift if they're making money, which they presumably are.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Tiggum posted:

Yeah it’s just a really big craft services table which Rob Schneider presumably lives on.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

All records are that he's a really nice guy to everyone who works for him in an industry that loves gossip so I imagine he's either paying absolute top dollar for PR, he's really nice on a relative scale where the groupie sex is always consensual, or he's genuinely nice.

Tiggum posted:

That's the genius of it. Him and his friends can still spin punchlines in any setting and while putting production crews up in nice hotels (which he supposedly does) in a fun vacation area might be expensive it probably still costs way less than an actual honest-to-god budget picture. Plus he was smart enough to get into Netflix while that getting was good.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Uncut Gems is the single worst thing that I have ever experienced via the internets recommendation and that is some achievement because I find it very easy to be bored by something and switch it off, its not often I feel complelled to watch the rest of something I actively dislike half-way through to try and understand why other people care.

It's the sort of thing that when someone comes out with "Uncut Gems is amazing, have you seen it yet? Adam Sandler is fantastic and its a must see movie" I genuinely want to phone a doctor or maybe get in touch with their parents or something because its that 2 and a half hour long clusterfuck of angry shite is something you enjoyed, you must have an awful real world problem to escape from.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

As someone who would unambiguously say he's "part of the problem" in supporting teenager and family-friendly stuff like Marvel, a lot of people are overeager to embrace something "realistic" and "adult" in the way that Uncut Gems is. There's no grand conceit and it's all about real adult poo poo like family divorce, cheating, and lying to be a big shot, and Adam Sandler really does burrow into the role and try in a way he famously doesn't for 90% of his projects.

That's absolute loving catnip to the critical circuit which really is normally chained to Boomer Cop/Soldier Procedurals, Superhero and teen melodramas, and kiddie garbage 90% of the time.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Uncut Gems is the single worst thing that I have ever experienced via the internets recommendation and that is some achievement because I find it very easy to be bored by something and switch it off, its not often I feel complelled to watch the rest of something I actively dislike half-way through to try and understand why other people care.

It's the sort of thing that when someone comes out with "Uncut Gems is amazing, have you seen it yet? Adam Sandler is fantastic and its a must see movie" I genuinely want to phone a doctor or maybe get in touch with their parents or something because its that 2 and a half hour long clusterfuck of angry shite is something you enjoyed, you must have an awful real world problem to escape from.

Please, it’s not even as stressful as Good Time.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

mind the walrus posted:

As someone who would unambiguously say he's "part of the problem" in supporting teenager and family-friendly stuff like Marvel, a lot of people are overeager to embrace something "realistic" and "adult" in the way that Uncut Gems is. There's no grand conceit and it's all about real adult poo poo like family divorce, cheating, and lying to be a big shot, and Adam Sandler really does burrow into the role and try in a way he famously doesn't for 90% of his projects.

That's absolute loving catnip to the critical circuit which really is normally chained to Boomer Cop/Soldier Procedurals, Superhero and teen melodramas, and kiddie garbage 90% of the time.

Thats a good point, I only watch a handful of films a year but I can understand people having a higher opinion of it [Uncut Gems] if they literally expose themselves to every Star Wars and Disney movie the week it comes out. Its actually annoying because I'm sure I've thought about Uncut Gems more in the past 3 months than anyone who really loved it (except that one poster on here who said it "ruined all other movies for him". Thats the nature of thinking too much about other peoples opinions though. Its much easier to understand why someone HATES a film or song or game than the opposite. I'd happily spend 5 minutes telling you my favourite films ever but I could spend an hour telling you why Uncut Gems was so awful.

Edit; while we are on the subject of highly rated films from recent years; Get Out was utterly predictable and did nothing interesting, I don't know why people cared about it. Also No Country for No Men is a 6/10 film with a 1/10 ending

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

My PHUO - stuff that is different is by no means always good, but there is some intrinsic value to being different.
There are lots of reasons not to enjoy China Mieville or House of Leaves, but they are doing something different and that has value. If you don't like them because they aren't Tolkien or King, read the literally hundreds of Tolkien/King derivatives. Again, they aren't necessarily good - but they have value from being unique. I happen to like the above examples, but I didn't enjoy Mother or Heriditary. I still think they had more value than another trite by-the-book horror film.

This does not conflict with the fact that it's okay to do something one way and do it well forever.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

tv shows are bad

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Shibawanko posted:

tv shows are bad

and even when they are good they go on far too long so the success can be milked to the point where only the most die-hard and crazy fans stick around

its why the best tv shows are always British shows with 12 episodes which were filmed on a shoestring budget and made up for it with their comic chops and wit

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

a lot of people don't like the ending to no country for old men, I have no idea why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was dog poo poo.