Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Don't know if it's entirely relevant here, but been listening to an audiobook of the cultivation novel A Thousand Li, and while I don't know what to make of the book's actual quality so far, the narration is top notch.

Similarly, I'm disappointed that I Can Turn Into a Fish stopped updating, because it was a lovely novel with one or two really solid burns by the translator every chapter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Tao Wong is normally a fun read, his system apoc books are quite a bit different from most the genre.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh, an english language author who covers the standard wn genres using amazon self-publishing? that sounds interesting. he's a very prolific author, too.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Jymmybob posted:

Also I wish qidian underground would come back up because I'm in Way of the Devil withdrawal.

it still exists bruv, google it

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

oh, an english language author who covers the standard wn genres using amazon self-publishing? that sounds interesting. he's a very prolific author, too.

Dude also has written about the business side of trying to make self publishing on amazon work and it is kinda interesting:
https://www.mylifemytao.com/category/publishing-business/

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Dude comes across really well in those blog posts. Really glad to have stumbled onto his stuff. Nearly finished Book 1 of Thousand Li and it's a pretty decent grounded cultivation book with more of a focus on the role of class than the last one I read, A Will Eternal.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
His stories are pretty fun but in dire need of an heavier editing pass, just for basic continuity errors. People’s levels jump around haphazardly between chapters (in System Apocalypse). Character’s names change between books because he seemingly forgot what he named them and couldn’t be bothered to check. It’s frustrating at times how simple but consistent the errors are.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, this is the webnovel thread, not the competently written literature of any kind thread.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
I’ve read all of it, don’t get me wrong, garbage lit is fine. I’m just saying that forgetting your own characters’ names is pretty egregious.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Webnovels and Kindle unlimited have a bunch of the same issues which is they are published quick and dirty and could use an editor coming in to clean it up and help make sure continuity stays together.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Web novel "clean-up" becomes a weird balance issue, where there's limited time for the "author" to enjoy his hobby, and readers basically have to decide if they'd rather the author went back and fixed an old chapter (which they'll never reread), or post a shiny new chapter. It's an easy choice for most, even if I personally grumble about first impressions and future readership.

At least there's now a streamlined (?) typo reporting system on Narou, so I tap to highlight wonky bits when I read on my Kindle, and then batch report mistakes once I catch up with the latest chapter. Most authors have graciously fixed things within a few days, so I guess my fellow readers just don't give a poo poo.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

darkgray posted:

Web novel "clean-up" becomes a weird balance issue, where there's limited time for the "author" to enjoy his hobby, and readers basically have to decide if they'd rather the author went back and fixed an old chapter (which they'll never reread), or post a shiny new chapter. It's an easy choice for most, even if I personally grumble about first impressions and future readership.

At least there's now a streamlined (?) typo reporting system on Narou, so I tap to highlight wonky bits when I read on my Kindle, and then batch report mistakes once I catch up with the latest chapter. Most authors have graciously fixed things within a few days, so I guess my fellow readers just don't give a poo poo.

Like I left a comment on Cultivator chat group webnovel.com release that they had a typo "Has foodwork not footwork" in a chapter 2 years ago that still gets likes on their site because they still haven't fixed it.

Also for some of these "licensed" releases fixing it and then just throwing the arc up on amazon for kindle is something that happens at would at least fix some dumb mistakes.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

chat group has the whole 'hand guided tractor' issue as well, which is a blind character-by-character translation of the Chinese. A correct translation would be 'two-wheel tractor' or 'walking tractor'.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Silynt posted:

His stories are pretty fun but in dire need of an heavier editing pass, just for basic continuity errors. People’s levels jump around haphazardly between chapters (in System Apocalypse). Character’s names change between books because he seemingly forgot what he named them and couldn’t be bothered to check. It’s frustrating at times how simple but consistent the errors are.

I noticed some of this too, in Thousand Li.

well, this is the webnovel thread, not the competently written literature of any kind thread.

Fallorn posted:

Webnovels and Kindle unlimited have a bunch of the same issues which is they are published quick and dirty and could use an editor coming in to clean it up and help make sure continuity stays together.

Iunno, I don't think I usually see continuity errors like this crop up too often in WNs. Maybe it's just more noticeable here because I'm not cutting a garbled translation slack, I don't know.

Anyway, the three Thousand Li books were a fairly placid, grounded take on xianxia. I always like it when these stories tie the worlds of the sects and the sword wizards into some sort of greater social context, and that's very strong here, Tao Wong placing the story into the context of a Warring States-esque milleu. I have to say, though, I'm coming away from it feeling only an ambivalent connection to the characters. Placing it next to Cradle, Wu Ying is lacking the all-powerful obsession that makes Lindon a compelling protagonist. The dude really just wants to chill and gently caress around with plants. The author notes suggest that book 4 might be something of a change of direction, so that might change.

Speaking of Cradle, Will Wight is finished with his Kings/Killers trilogy and it's... fine. The bifurcation of the narrative hurts it, I think- either series alone feels a little underweight and lacking, and reading them together... I suspect it would work better if you were swapping back and forth between chapters, rather than books. Y'know, like you would be doing in a regular book with two plot threads.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the sword deity in tokyo is so dang weird. it is clearly written by a chinese weeaboo, about a chinese dude who does the time leap thing and prepares for the appearance of magic which is coming. except, it is more of an alternate reality time leap and all of his supposed future knowledge is useless. so instead he ends up as a rough yuusuke urameshi equivalent as a banchou/exorcist. his most amazing ability seems to be inflicting savage public beatings without anyone ever calling the cops, for no particular reason. also, he reformed a delinquent school using violence and intimidation and now he's a beloved school icon who sometimes works as a substitute teacher for his own grade. it's a bizarre japanese delinquent fantasy completely unmoored from reality. by contrast, the exorcist and cultivation stuff seems downright grounded. the grand return of magic never happened, so he's cultivating by eating ghosts, who are made of magic. at one point he resolved a ghost's lingering attachment by forcing the ghost's brother to beat up his pre-beaten bullies in the middle of class in front of all the teachers and administrators. the ghost wept tears of joy at witnessing this dumb, confusing scene. also there's a subplot which is basically 5 4 toubun no hanayome, but with corporal punishment.

seriously, wtf is this?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

the sword deity in tokyo is so dang weird. it is clearly written by a chinese weeaboo, about a chinese dude who does the time leap thing and prepares for the appearance of magic which is coming. except, it is more of an alternate reality time leap and all of his supposed future knowledge is useless. so instead he ends up as a rough yuusuke urameshi equivalent as a banchou/exorcist. his most amazing ability seems to be inflicting savage public beatings without anyone ever calling the cops, for no particular reason. also, he reformed a delinquent school using violence and intimidation and now he's a beloved school icon who sometimes works as a substitute teacher for his own grade. it's a bizarre japanese delinquent fantasy completely unmoored from reality. by contrast, the exorcist and cultivation stuff seems downright grounded. the grand return of magic never happened, so he's cultivating by eating ghosts, who are made of magic. at one point he resolved a ghost's lingering attachment by forcing the ghost's brother to beat up his pre-beaten bullies in the middle of class in front of all the teachers and administrators. the ghost wept tears of joy at witnessing this dumb, confusing scene. also there's a subplot which is basically 5 4 toubun no hanayome, but with corporal punishment.

seriously, wtf is this?

You know what this is.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm very familiar with bad webnovels, yes, but this thing still confuses me.

also, in a classic weeb move the author conflates kendo with swordsmanship. that's always funny to me.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 23, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

i'm very familiar with bad webnovels, yes, but this thing still confuses me.

Eh, so the weird fetish this one is based around is corporal punishment of schoolkids. That's unusual, but not outside the realm of what I'd expect from a webnovel.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Library of Heaven's Path's translation wrapped up.

The author's next novel, Notebook of Fortune, at a mere 250 chapters is tiny morsel in comparison and is already wrapped up on Qidian as well, but the Webnovel translation, unfortunately, was paused/dropped at 60 chapters. It's a shame - I've read what was there to read of it and it's a pretty fun, enjoyable read.

Then there's the author's new novel, which seems to have just started over at Qidian; 17 chapters available so far. I've read the first dozen chapters with Google Translate and it seems like it should be fun as well.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm enjoying Immortal Devil Transformation so far, one of the newest round of wuxiaworld novels: https://www.wuxiaworld.com/novel/immortal-devil-transformation

It's a wuxia isekai with an unusually mild-mannered and likeable main character who's incredibly jazzed he gets to go to wuxia school and learn how to use muscle magic. It's also somewhat reminiscent of Way of Choices in that there's a lot of political stuff going on the background where martial artists stoically face death because they lost the game of 5D chess everyone is playing against each other.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

A lot of these reviews are deeply amusing.

quote:

Love the story how he make them from bullies and humiliate them and make them embarrassed

From this thing, which seems like the most on-the-nose chuunibyou thing I've ever seen - https://www.wuxiaworld.com/novel/tranxending-vision

quote:

One day, he got into an accident at work which burnt his left eye. After he awoke in the hospital bed, he discovered that his eye was not blind – it gained abilities!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i remember that one. the highlight was when he decided to build a factory so he hired a bunch of brand new college grads and had them design and construct the building. they were not engineers or architects and none of them had any applicable experience. it was like the platonic ideal of chabaduo.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

i remember that one. the highlight was when he decided to build a factory so he hired a bunch of brand new college grads and had them design and construct the building. they were not engineers or architects and none of them had any applicable experience. it was like the platonic ideal of chabaduo.

The factory with his german girl who he is like I don't love you I know you love me I will bang you and we will have our secrete awesome super lathe to makes guns?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lmao, novelupdates has begun filtering the word slave into s*ave. there is no reduction in slavery fetishism webnovel translations, of course.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I feel like if you have to filter the tag you should just remove it and strongly consider removing everything that has the tag

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
It's probably just to make google ads happier.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Probably, it looks like they (barely) censored the tags for anything sexual too.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Oh hey a thread for something I have a massive interest in, I wonder what people have posted in here-

jwang posted:

Meng Hao goes to McDonalds

:perfect:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Questions from a newbie to the genre:

1) Wuxiaworld updates its novels at a frantic pace. How is this sustainable?

2) Looking at coin costs on webnovel.com it takes like several hundred dollars to unlock a full 600 chapter novel. Is there any alternative?

3) Are there any other major websites I should be aware of for webnovels? Novelupdates, wuxiaworld, webnovel and then hundreds of random translators.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
webnovel.com is qidian, so don't feel bad about piracy. there are a lot of other sites that rehost qidian's translations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

webnovel.com is qidian, so don't feel bad about piracy. there are a lot of other sites that rehost qidian's translations.

What's the history behind qidian?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they are ridiculously exploitative and make their authors sign profoundly illegal contracts. as far as i know the full terms of the contracts aren't generally applied, but if they were it would be outright indentured servitude.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

they are ridiculously exploitative and make their authors sign profoundly illegal contracts. as far as i know the full terms of the contracts aren't generally applied, but if they were it would be outright indentured servitude.

:mad:

That sucks, especially since I'm really enjoying World of Cultivation. The author should get a better deal!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

On a happier note here's what I'm reading now. I got into the genre via nyaa's LP and now I can't stop reading 'em, they're great popcorn.

World of Cultivation: 20 chapters in, I really love the slow pace as this poor amnesiac farmer tries to get better at growing crops while fate hands him worse and worse problems. The prose quality is easily the worst in my set, but it's readable. I'm not sure if it's the translation or the author himself, but whatever. More farming action please! (Also I love how the farmer works incredibly hard at practicing his cultivation stuff, none of it is handed to him for free.)

Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation: 7 chapters in, has the best prose so far, and the plot is really non-typical of the genre so far - a horrible villain dies, and gets brought back in the body of a young madman who basically sacrificed himself so an evil spirit could take revenge on his family. Now that the villain's done that he's ridden off on a donkey and I don't know what he's up to next. There's some great horror scenes in this!

Nine Star Hegemon Body Art: 11 chapters in, would the protagonist stop being handed things for free..... I'm curious about the lurking hints of a conspiracy plot, and I almost enjoy the prose, but it's frustrating how the protagonist wakes up with free memories of how to get swole, and then proceeds to get swole and rich. The bit where he kicked a man's ballsack off and into a villain's mouth so he swallowed it was crass but hilarious tho.

Renegade Immortal: 14 chapters in, really slow pacing but has solid prose. I have no idea where this one is going because our protagonist has started at the absolute bottom. Opening with him being denied access to cultivation, sending him in shame to his family - lord, that was too sad for my popcorn reading. But now he has a magic bead and I'm worried that he's going to start getting things for free. We'll see.

I'm thinking of adding City of Sin and Martial World to the roster while I'm at it. I've also read Cradle v1+2 and really enjoyed them, but that was several years ago and I didn't know about webnovels at the time.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

https://lnmtl.com/

I like it, others don't. I find the machine translations tend to make idiomatic usage clearer because it stands out as strange, but it does take a bit of leaning into it for any particular story to feel like it flows.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

I’m not sure if the part in cultivation chat group where a character is kidnapped by a cultivator and forced to write webnovel chapters all day less funny, or funnier

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I wouldn't recommend Renegade Immortal. The same author wrote the far more entertaining I Shall Seal The Heavens and Will Eternal later.

My top recommendations are probably Way of Choices, Divine Throne of Primordial Blood, and Immortal Devil Transformation.

The later two are on WW but I'm not sure where to find WoC these days. It looks like the site that did most of the translation has disappeared from novelupdates.

StrixNebulosa posted:

1) Wuxiaworld updates its novels at a frantic pace. How is this sustainable?
I get the impression most WW translators who update 2+ chapter a day make enough to do it as a full time job. Between ad revenue, VIP subs, advance chapter subs, ebook sales, and whatever I'm missing they must pull in a fair amount.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 8, 2020

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
world of cultivation is kind of notorious because of how the translator has a firm moral stance. said stance is that translation is objectively bad. so, he leaves as many words untranslated as possible. i find this impossibly funny, but it makes for a very unpleasant reading experience.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah I had to give up on WoC because it was incredible how every chapter had twenty untranslated Chinese terms with one word "translator notes" that were just the word they could have put in the text instead. :pwn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the solution the translator gave was for readers to each make their own custom list for a word replacing browser extension.