Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

What’s the pro strat for Vorkken? I had trouble with him every time so far but the volcano fight was by far the most embarrassing. I ended up with a damage score of -9999 lmao

Honestly, Vorkken is where I bust out hero sense, if it’s available anyway. What with all the chaos your batteries fill quickly and it’s way harder to dodge than a regular enemy. Failing that, hero time is the next best thing. Really there’s no one strategy since you kinda have to react and bait him out, since he tries to counter your moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Attacking Vorkken's guys can help, since his morphs work the same way yours do--they can only be as big/powerful as the amount of guys he has to morph with. Other than that, my general strategy is to just wait until he does hammer/punch and guts, then counterattack. Remember if HE uses guts he almost always uses a whip cyclone attack immediately after, so don't be anywhere near him.

Unrelated to the above, but I did recently find out that L1 + Left stick down zooms the camera out (and R1 + right stick up zooms in) which makes a lot of fights way more readable, and I'm pretty sure this isn't in the controls menu

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I thought it did say somewhere that L1 and R1 zoom out and in respectively somewhere.

Also for Vorken I am still not sure what the answer for the boomerang morph is, other than bugging out and jumping.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Unlucky7 posted:

I thought it did say somewhere that L1 and R1 zoom out in respectively somewhere.

Also for Vorken I am still not sure what the answer for the boomerang morph is, other than bugging out and jumping.

For that specific attack I usually double jump and then dodge, but there might be a better way to handle it

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

L1/R1 are zoom out/in but you have to hold them for a second.

For vorkken you should equip dodge mines, they scatter his dudes effectively. He's a very tough fight and tests everything you've learned (and he cheats a little) so good luck,it's extremely satisfying when you manage to beat him.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy
Finished up yesterday, was fun to go back and nice that I don't have to dig my WiiU out if I want to play it.

I do wish they added some sort of collectibles screen, I'm missing 2 heroes that I had to scour a guide and my roster to find, and 2 hero hearts that I have no idea where they could be.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Every day i'm thankful of ChipCheezum's lp. I learned to much stuff from it over the years, and refreshing on it when I'm struggling is letting me really get the hang of the game.

https://twitter.com/morningmoonmeme/status/1264566140086497281

I think ultimately the game's largest flaw is that it doesn't explain itself very well. There's a ton of systems for you to discover in the middle of high-speed super-stylish battle, including basic camera (if I didn't remember i could zoom out from the Wii U version, I'd probably stay with the default one and be sad) but goddamn is it worth watching supplemental material that explain that stuff. There are so many options to feel powerful.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

MorningMoon posted:

I think ultimately the game's largest flaw is that it doesn't explain itself very well.

Yeah, this is basically the problem with every Platinum game

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

"This game is great but doesn't explain itself well" is actually a description of every Platinum Game

edit: beaten!

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

speaking of poor explanations, in case anyone else was wondering about this, ukemi does not just apply to lethal damage as per the description but damage of any sort

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Jenny Agutter posted:

speaking of poor explanations, in case anyone else was wondering about this, ukemi does not just apply to lethal damage as per the description but damage of any sort

Is it actually worth using?

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy
If you Ukemi you can still get a no damage bonus. Useful if your going for pure platinum but make a mistake.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

How does Hero Counter work? Is it any good? The description is very vague.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

How does Hero Counter work? Is it any good? The description is very vague.

It’s essential. You push the stick in the direction of an oncoming attack and it negates all damage and counter-attacks with the largest form of whatever unite you have equipped. It's the secret to making turtles a pushover. If you've played Bayonetta it's the moon of mahaa kalaa

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Jenny Agutter posted:

It’s essential. You push the stick in the direction of an oncoming attack and it negates all damage and counter-attacks with the largest form of whatever unite you have equipped. It's the secret to making turtles a pushover. If you've played Bayonetta it's the moon of mahaa kalaa

Is it like a SF3 parry where you need to push the direction within a timing window?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Have you ever played Metal Gear Rising. It's that game.

Also Ukemi is cool because Poseman does Viewtiful Joe's pose when he recovers with it.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

Is it like a SF3 parry where you need to push the direction within a timing window?

Yes but it's not super tight as far as I can tell

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I own this on the Wii u and didn't get very far. Are the PC/switch remasters so much better, or should I pay it on the Wii u?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

redreader posted:

I own this on the Wii u and didn't get very far. Are the PC/switch remasters so much better, or should I pay it on the Wii u?

Get it on PC unless you really want it portable, the Switch version’s performance is barely better. Skip the Wii U version if you can.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

redreader posted:

Firstly it’s a remaster in name only. I think all of the assets are the same, the effects are the same. That being said playing it at 1080 60fps is such an improvement I would absolutely recommend a purchase on PC

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Yeah it plays like a dream on PC. We're eventually getting more game content as well with the remaster.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Beat it the other night. Felt really good to get an average of gold this time around. Spent a couple hours today unlocking the 14 wonderful ones i missed, and getting one of the secret sets (the ones in the flashback, because gently caress doing 006-B again anytime soon)

Hopefully the game carries over to the PS5 so I can boot it up again in the future with locked 60 and get a full replay with everything unlocked. Then I'll probably try hard.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It took them long enough, but they finally patched the game.
About time they added some leeway to getting better scores.

They have been doing some other things as well before that. Adding hints for new players.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 1, 2020

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/platinumgames/status/1333487922150998016?s=21

https://twitter.com/platinumgames/status/1333489167754424320?s=21

New update with Wonderful Ones based on Bayonetta, Jeanne and Rodin

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

First DLC just dropped

Time attack mode with leaderboards, automatically skips small cutscenes

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Kamiya will be streaming a playthrough in 20 minutes here https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MROdDmO91LY

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

All those remixes after an hour were pretty cool

Vorkken Mode announced

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 20, 2021

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Here's the archive of just the truncated remixes
https://youtube.com/watch?v=ny3voNNLNiw

Vorkken mode looks cool, I hope it doesn't take another year to come out.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Time attack mode is cool, I'm faster than Kamiya lol. Weirdly i had to go to the steam page for the time attack dlc (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1521860/The_Wonderful_101_Remastered_Time_Attack/) and launch the game from there before the option showed up

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Gonna gripe for a sec

Time attack is neat, but its been a year. Next time I boot up the game it'll be for a full playthrough and I doubt I'll look into the time leaderboards.
Still nothing on the 2D Missions content stuff. I'm not like clamoring for it, but it's still something I technically paid for...
...and that Vorkken DLC better be free for backers. But also... kinda why? Again, its been a year. Love The Wonderful 101 but with everything on Platinum's plate, it's kinda insane that they made a new moveset for a year+ after launch.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

They probably got behind because of the pandemic, like every other game studio. And this game was probably pretty low priority hence the lack of updates. It sucks but I’m avoiding giving anyone a hard time about not being productive enough during the past year.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/platinumgames/status/1431502176325537794?s=21

Surprise bitches, it’s Vorkie time.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

hell yeah, that's awesome

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

1 dollar is a pretty sick price for that, i'll bite

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

It’s not integrated beyond the gameplay but the monster unites are very cool, ends up playing quite differently. I also got a kick out of vorkken loosening up when you go down the water slide

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I know it’s only a buck but didn’t they say dlc was gonna be free for backers? It’s been so long that I forgot.

Also since there’s no general Platinum thread that I saw, why didn’t anyone tell me that Anarchy Reigns is basically Platinum Power Stone. It kicks rear end and now I'm sad I didn't get to play it online when it was new.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 29, 2021

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

i think specifically the luca DLC missions were going to be free. as far as i recall they never mentioned vorkken dlc during the campaign so i'm fine paying a buck for it

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Everyone check your e-mails, the remastered album is out

you know, that album from the kickstarter, with like eight rearrangements

yeah!

anyway they got loving Rushdem & Diamonds back for one of them holy loving poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szWGNlrjjHc

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is anything else still coming? Are they still working on DLC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is anything else still coming? Are they still working on DLC?

quote:

Please enjoy and look forward to more updates about the remaining rewards in a future update,
i guess it'll randomly show up in 2023 if this album two years later is any indication