Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Neophyte posted:

Getting a real

vibe from that Forbes drawing

Xakura posted:

They should really just get Don Rosa to draw those

M. C. Escher:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Haven’t seen an F-35B in person yet but Harriers are a new definition of loud.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

TCD posted:

Being that they are strike length 41s, I'm guessing you're going to see some tomahawks or SM-6s on there?

Playing with CMANO you could fit:
2 ASROC
12 Tomahawks
12 SM2 BlkIIICs
28 ESSMIIs

If you ditch the Tomahawks and carried 4 SM-6s for CEC and a few more ASROCs
4 ASROC
12 SM2
48 ESSMIIs
4 SM-6s

or just 18 SM2s and 56 ESSMs. That would stay up a long rear end time in most CMANO scenarios so long as your helos could launch for subs. Having 16 NSMs is sooo much better than harpoons.

I'm curious if they'll equip Tomahawks on any FFGs since those times we seem to need tomahawks we have a few days-weeks to gear up and get other assets in place with much larger magazines, especially once Virginias with VPMs are around. That, and it starts to eat up the limited tube space pretty fast because how often does the Navy fire like 2 Tomahawks and not 40.

I think your second loadout makes a lot of sense though.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 22, 2020

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Sorry for posting a tweet with a link to an article, but it’s easy on mobile.

This article contains a lot more context to the F-35B/C afterburner plus supersonic limitations.

https://twitter.com/valerieinsinna/status/1263893314132115456?s=21

tl;dr - the issue was discovered in some pretty brutal high speed testing conditions and the limitation is intended to keep aircraft working for 40 years, not avoiding the aircraft just failing in flight if someone really had to break the limits for combat reasons.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

tl;dr - the issue was discovered in some pretty brutal high speed testing conditions and the limitation is intended to keep aircraft working for 40 years, not avoiding the aircraft just failing in flight if someone really had to break the limits for combat reasons.
But If I just flash the ECU I get 40 more horsepower.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

So that's where the budget for the rest of the Zumwalts went.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Haven’t seen an F-35B in person yet but Harriers are a new definition of loud.

I believe F-35s are the loudest fighter in the world. They seem louder than F-15s and 22s. Way louder than 16s.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
The loudest fighter in the world is a Super Hornet landing about 30 feet away from you on an aircraft carrier deck.

Though I guess the 35C is probably set to take that record.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
When the F-35A pulls back hard for a near-vertical afterburner departure it just shakes you to the core because of how much burner is being pounded straight into the runway and then reverberating toward everyone on the ground. F-22 has a lot more thrust but seems a bit less ridiculous coming from twin engines.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The loudest fighter in the world is a Super Hornet landing about 30 feet away from you on an aircraft carrier deck.

Though I guess the 35C is probably set to take that record.

Easily.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
https://twitter.com/USPacificFleet/status/1263932322048434176

LAZORS

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

That legitimately looks photoshopped to me, I am shocked if that's real.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
It honestly looks so blatantly fake that I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually real, but gently caress if I know what kind of camera and filter you use to get something that looks like that.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It honestly looks so blatantly fake that I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually real, but gently caress if I know what kind of camera and filter you use to get something that looks like that.

If it's real, it looks like a FLIR (ship is black) that gets overloaded by UV, I'm guessing UV anyway from the bloom. It's all digital so it's hard to guess why the colour response goes the way it does, could be programmed and colour mapped any way they want.

That beam was firing towards and sort of close to the camera, you can tell by the beam divergence, it was just to the left of the camera and taken by a telephoto lens else it couldn't spread so much in picture.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Ice Fist posted:

I was one of ~70,000 people to get a B1 flyover at a football game a few years ago (It was the only good thing that happened that night). No other flyover I've witnessed has come close to just the pure awe of a B1. It was incredible.

Some time in the 1990s I got to see a Vulcan and Concorde do a flyover together at some air show in SE England and it was amazing.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Mazz posted:

I'm curious if they'll equip Tomahawks on any FFGs since those times we seem to need tomahawks we have a few days-weeks to gear up and get other assets in place with much larger magazines, especially once Virginias with VPMs are around. That, and it starts to eat up the limited tube space pretty fast because how often does the Navy fire like 2 Tomahawks and not 40.

I think your second loadout makes a lot of sense though.

Right - I figured I'd mirror the load out of a non-VPM Virginia but you don't have a lot of room left. The one thing that could be of interest is the new new maritime tomahawks - which would give this thing a loving huge anti surface range plus NSMs for closer in or when you want it to be more discrete.

There was "talk" of getting the ship to 48 cells on USNI but with 16 NSMs, I guess they figured 32 would be enough with quad packed ESSMs

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

drgitlin posted:

Some time in the 1990s I got to see a Vulcan and Concorde do a flyover together at some air show in SE England and it was amazing.

"Sorry, you'll have to repeat that, I've got a ringing in my ears. Been that way for 30 someodd years now."

"Oh...how'd it happen, if you don't mind my asking?"

"From too much awesome flying overhead."

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Looks like the Trump admin is considering resuming nuclear testing, and alleging China and Russia have both conducted nuclear tests. I doubt they’ve done so because worldwide seismic monitoring that’s done by other than the DoD would have picked it up, and anyway our nuclear monitoring enterprise leaks like a sieve.

But hey, maybe we can get some 16:9 4K UHD/HDR footage of nuclear tests. Link:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...foutputType=amp

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Looks like the Trump admin is considering resuming nuclear testing, and alleging China and Russia have both conducted nuclear tests. I doubt they’ve done so because worldwide seismic monitoring that’s done by other than the DoD would have picked it up, and anyway our nuclear monitoring enterprise leaks like a sieve.

But hey, maybe we can get some 16:9 4K UHD/HDR footage of nuclear tests. Link:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...foutputType=amp

The religious zealots in the GOP trying to fast-track Armageddon?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Ok take the trump chat to cspam or d&d or YouTube comments or whatever.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

Ok take the trump chat to cspam or d&d or YouTube comments or whatever.

Uhhhh, resumption of nuclear testing seems rather prescient to the thread. Just because I mention that the trump admin is thinking about undertaking the effort isn’t trump chat.

Trust me, I’m the last motherfucker that wants Trump chat. I wanna talk about how we’re maybe gonna set a nuke off, after a few years of tearing up nuclear arms / verification treaties put in place from the Cold War era and later.

There is literally no higher form of Airpower than nuclear weapons. And it’s an extremely close to the Cold War topic.

Maybe this line of conversation doesn’t need to be shut down because that orange rear end in a top hat gets mentioned?

Just a thought. You do you though, I guess.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

TFR has a blanket no politics rule and trump chat turns toxic fast. Take it elsewhere. Just draw a line under this and move on.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

here is literally no higher form of Airpower than nuclear weapons.

We're all game for nuke chat. Just only talk abut the nukes.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You can discuss strategic weapons but not strategy.

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

TCD posted:

There was "talk" of getting the ship to 48 cells on USNI but with 16 NSMs, I guess they figured 32 would be enough with quad packed ESSMs

I bet the additional 16 strike cells (32 tons unloaded) might have been too much of an ask of the FREMM design without adding development costs. The Navy rightfully was trying to keep mods and therefore price to a minimum, and ended up picking what looks on paper to be a pocket Burke.

Now if the Navy/DoD can also get to the unsexy tasks of fixing training cycles and improving maintenance/shipyards, it'd be in a far better place.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon posted:

On the bright side, I’ve always wanted to see a nuclear detonation. :shobon:

I would prefer that it occur at DEFCON 4 or higher, but whelp.

The monkey’s paw heard my wish.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Memento posted:

ha ha ha holy poo poo I just watched this, due to a discussion about the music in that show in another thread.

Psst, hey there....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnBgMIYA874

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

https://www.csis.org/analysis/marine-corps-radical-shift-toward-china

Seems to set upon getting marines out of tanks and policing and onto the beach and back into the Philippines (where I think they are happiest). Makes the FFG(x) make even more sense as well as explain for me why the Marines have been looking at tomahawks (not for attacking land targets as I had just assumed, but for projecting from shore to sea).

A lot depends on how much Duturte keeps the US out of the Philippines versus China but from the Philippines, a lot of the recent island additions of China would be untenable if marine detachments were on say Palawan with a few truckloads of anti ship tomahawks - the Chinese not being able to keep track of all trucks versus keeping track of (thinly spread) DDGs. Between Taiwan, Malaysia and The Philippines controls access to the Pacific and Indian oceans.

Also, the army can have more tanks if it is feeling short...

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

ArmyGroup303 posted:

I bet the additional 16 strike cells (32 tons unloaded) might have been too much of an ask of the FREMM design without adding development costs. The Navy rightfully was trying to keep mods and therefore price to a minimum, and ended up picking what looks on paper to be a pocket Burke.

Now if the Navy/DoD can also get to the unsexy tasks of fixing training cycles and improving maintenance/shipyards, it'd be in a far better place.

My guess is the FREMM and Navantia were the only designs remotely close to being able to hold 48 cells and they would have had Austal screaming bloody murder. 32 VLS and 16 NSMs and 6000nm range is still a lot of ship for most parts of the world. Once I add another FFGX or Burke in CMANO, the pair take a lot of ships or planes to get through.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
There’s always block II. If it can fit the extra cells they can uprev the design once it’s less costly/risky/etc.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
This is the weirdest captcha I've ever had to solve...

c/o @Iceman_B1 on Twitter

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/NuclearAnthro/status/1264430985694728193

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Bet they were 222343/CH751/2642 keys too.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Electric Wrigglies posted:

https://www.csis.org/analysis/marine-corps-radical-shift-toward-china

Seems to set upon getting marines out of tanks and policing and onto the beach and back into the Philippines (where I think they are happiest). Makes the FFG(x) make even more sense as well as explain for me why the Marines have been looking at tomahawks (not for attacking land targets as I had just assumed, but for projecting from shore to sea).

A lot depends on how much Duturte keeps the US out of the Philippines versus China but from the Philippines, a lot of the recent island additions of China would be untenable if marine detachments were on say Palawan with a few truckloads of anti ship tomahawks - the Chinese not being able to keep track of all trucks versus keeping track of (thinly spread) DDGs. Between Taiwan, Malaysia and The Philippines controls access to the Pacific and Indian oceans.

Also, the army can have more tanks if it is feeling short...

That's a return to form, the USMC Defense Battalions were a key factor in Plan Orange for doing the dirty work of holding islands against attack. It looks like the modern version is going to be armed with anti-shipping missiles to create an exclusion zone that enemy shipping cannot operate in. Ideally you'd land bulldozers, dig holes, emplace VLS cells, and dominate a 250nm radius.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

mllaneza posted:

That's a return to form, the USMC Defense Battalions were a key factor in Plan Orange for doing the dirty work of holding islands against attack. It looks like the modern version is going to be armed with anti-shipping missiles to create an exclusion zone that enemy shipping cannot operate in. Ideally you'd land bulldozers, dig holes, emplace VLS cells, and dominate a 250nm radius.

You need to be road mobile nowadays or you eat a ballistic missile with a 3m CEP.

The Marines are buying WAY more HIMARS and also working on a truck mounted Tomahawk for mostly that reason.

What’s interesting to me is do you also incorporate something like ESSM into the same general platform?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The Marines haven’t been able to decide what they want to do for a better-than-interim ground-based air defense shooter for maybe the last... 20 years?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

mlmp08 posted:

The Marines haven’t been able to decide what they want to do for a better-than-interim ground-based air defense shooter for maybe the last... 20 years?

Yep, and the whole thing feels kind of a mess anyway looking into the wide range of ideas you can find.

What makes sense to me is that you figure out some kind of HEMTT or (whatever the Marines call it) TEL that can hold VLS canisters. This provides commonality with any weapon the Navy is already buying. You need C3, but realistically you can tie in CEC and such, and you already have the G/ATOR in play as well.

Hard to find a good size comparison of a single canister compared to something like a PAC-3 tube though, everything seems to be centered around the 8 cell Mk41 unit. It’s definitely longer but I can’t tell if prohibitively so.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 24, 2020

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Two weird stories: The video game industry and DARPA are an odd paring; they are developing software to break RTS/Strategy games

Also: Boeing makes something good and reliable?!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

They probably looked at that team who trained an AI to be competitive in professional Brood War and thought "what if we did that for a real war game" which to be fair is an awesome idea and will in no way be a problem for the largest professional officer corps on the planet.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Turns out the 737NG is still pretty good and easy to build