Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think Christina lives there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

My Lovely Horse posted:

:frogout:

jabadoo
Aug 10, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

:golfclap:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Don't, you'll only encourage him

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

My Lovely Horse posted:

:drat:!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

My Lovely Horse posted:

:rimshot:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

On a more serious note, it's amazing we finally have a photo of the author of Animorphs.

Nobbler
May 21, 2020

Blistex posted:

Or a contractor who tries to skim some money and installs horizontal sliding windows as vertical sliders.

My house has 4 skylights made out of patio door glass.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Philly's kind of dumb. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's not as broken as Baltimore or Detroit or Chicago, but it does a lot of dumb things.

One thing it keeps trying, and failing to do is to "revitalize" its waterfront. I'm not sure that you could ever say the waterfront was vital unless you consider shipyards to be vitality, but that ship has long sailed and there's no way those are coming back. So it keeps trying to turn the waterfront into a destination for tourists and residents.

These schemes are consistently crippled by this obstacle:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Penn's+Landing,+Philadelphia,+PA/@39.9460038,-75.1427007,219m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x89c6c89046f0ce8b:0xdc775f86056b4066!8m2!3d39.9468286!4d-75.140674

That's right, roads. There's a 6-lane surface street and a huge interstate running right between the city and the waterfront it wants to turn into something.

One of the ideas was to spend $174 million on an "entertainment center" boasting such features as a Cheesecake Factory and a carousel, and then spending more money on a sky tram connecting the waterfront to Camden. Now, there are some obvious problems with this plan. One is that Camden (for those unfamiliar with it) at the time put to "hell" in "benighted hellscape." The place was a crime and drug-ridden wasteland, with the highest homicide rate in the country (three times higher than Philly's and 30% higher than New Orleans), made all the worse by a police force so notoriously corrupt that the state finally got fed up and fired the entire 270-man force and replaced them with county cops. They built a ballpark there that was a financial disaster and lasted only 17 years before it was torn down. Second is that there's already loving huge multimodal bridge which connects the two cities. The idea was that people from south Jersey would park in Camden and tram over to Philly, but see issues one and two immediately above. And to allow the passage of river traffic, this skyway would have required towers 250' tall. Almost none of this happened.

The Delaware River Port Authority (another organization whose depths of corruption cannot be plumbed with any technology known to man) initially promised that the entire tramway could be built for $15 million. By 2004, the estimate had increased to $46 million, there were whispers that it could balloon further to $100 million, and an amount of money which is still unknown but was at least $15 million had been spent on nothing more than paper and a large concrete pi which was to serve as footing for one of the tram towers.

It stood there unmolested and undisturbed looming over the parking lot like a sullen trigonometry professor for 20 years. Until today.

Maybe now we can build a monorail. Or a Popsicle stick skyscraper. Or that escalator to nowhere.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 26, 2020

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I have lived in my house for over 10 years and one bedroom has always had an annoying creaky and wobbly floor board and holes just inside one doorway which I have put up with because initially I rented the room out and then because I am lazy.

I finally ripped the carpet and underlay out fully today and found that at some point before I owned it a floor board was violently removed and the resulting hole was partially patched with a cut and flattened baked bean tin. No attempt was made to fix down the boards around it. (might not be a baked bean tin but it is definitely some sort of canned food and i'm in the north of the UK so beans are likely)

I felt that house repairs using food cans probably belonged in this thread.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Phanatic posted:

Philly's kind of dumb. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's not as broken as Baltimore or Detroit or Chicago, but it does a lot of dumb things.

One thing it keeps trying, and failing to do is to "revitalize" its waterfront. I'm not sure that you could ever say the waterfront was vital unless you consider shipyards to be vitality, but that ship has long sailed and there's no way those are coming back. So it keeps trying to turn the waterfront into a destination for tourists and residents.

These schemes are consistently crippled by this obstacle:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Penn's+Landing,+Philadelphia,+PA/@39.9460038,-75.1427007,219m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x89c6c89046f0ce8b:0xdc775f86056b4066!8m2!3d39.9468286!4d-75.140674

That's right, roads. There's a 6-lane surface street and a huge interstate running right between the city and the waterfront it wants to turn into something.

One of the ideas was to spend $174 million on an "entertainment center" boasting such features as a Cheesecake Factory and a carousel, and then spending more money on a sky tram connecting the waterfront to Camden. Now, there are some obvious problems with this plan. One is that Camden (for those unfamiliar with it) at the time put to "hell" in "benighted hellscape." The place was a crime and drug-ridden wasteland, with the highest homicide rate in the country (three times higher than Philly's and 30% higher than New Orleans), made all the worse by a police force so notoriously corrupt that the state finally got fed up and fired the entire 270-man force and replaced them with county cops. They built a ballpark there that was a financial disaster and lasted only 17 years before it was torn down. Second is that there's already loving huge multimodal bridge which connects the two cities. The idea was that people from south Jersey would park in Camden and tram over to Philly, but see issues one and two immediately above. And to allow the passage of river traffic, this skyway would have required towers 250' tall. Almost none of this happened.

The Delaware River Port Authority (another organization whose depths of corruption cannot be plumbed with any technology known to man) initially promised that the entire tramway could be built for $15 million. By 2004, the estimate had increased to $46 million, there were whispers that it could balloon further to $100 million, and an amount of money which is still unknown but was at least $15 million had been spent on nothing more than paper and a large concrete pi which was to serve as footing for one of the tram towers.

It stood there unmolested and undisturbed looming over the parking lot like a sullen trigonometry professor for 20 years. Until today.

Maybe now we can build a monorail. Or a Popsicle stick skyscraper. Or that escalator to nowhere.

Probably a bit more of one for the traffic engineering thread, but yeah I don't know who the gently caress believed that a tramway with a dedicated bridge over a river that size could be built for only $15mil.

And yeah, Vancouver nearly got a freeway running along the waterfront in the 60s/70s, but mass protests stopped that. Now we have this: https://goo.gl/maps/fZF9PHbHRiPGTjoJ7

I just don't know if there's a protocol for cities to unfuck themselves from decisions like running a freeway right through downtown once they're made, though.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Probably a bit more of one for the traffic engineering thread, but yeah I don't know who the gently caress believed that a tramway with a dedicated bridge over a river that size could be built for only $15mil.

And yeah, Vancouver nearly got a freeway running along the waterfront in the 60s/70s, but mass protests stopped that. Now we have this: https://goo.gl/maps/fZF9PHbHRiPGTjoJ7

I just don't know if there's a protocol for cities to unfuck themselves from decisions like running a freeway right through downtown once they're made, though.

It's about seizing property from whatever the 'undesirable' du jour is (black people, poor people, immigrants, brown people, etc) and justifying it with a highway or other access point to enable white flight without impacting their commute.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Phanatic posted:

I’ve always wondered what that was. Based on the Franklin kite abomination at the western approach of the Ben Franklin Bridge, I figured that it was another lovely sculpture on Christopher Columbus Blvd Delaware Ave.

There is a decent book about the history of the Delaware waterfront at Philadelphia. The writer takes every opportunity to slam the Eisenhower Highway System planners for severing this river city from its waterfront.

The only way to revive it is to roof over I-95 from Morris Street north through Bainbridge, over a mile, and make it a greensward.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 27, 2020

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I just want to go to Morgan's Pier and day drink now goddamnit.

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.

Boston managed to do it by burying the central artery, part of i90 and a bunch of the feeders and ramps for them. It cost about $22 Billion and took most of 20 years to complete.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

EoRaptor posted:

It's about seizing property from whatever the 'undesirable' du jour is (black people, poor people, immigrants, brown people, etc) and justifying it with a highway or other access point to enable white flight without impacting their commute.

Yeah that was pretty much exactly what was attempted with trying to shove the freeway through downtown Vancouver -- the neighbourhoods they wanted to bulldoze were the local Chinatown, the one place where the handful of black people in town lived (Jimi Hendrix used to hang out at his aunt's place there), and the poorer part of town where aboriginal and less well-off LGBT folks lived. It's a good thing it was stopped, although rear end in a top hat developers continued to gentrify the gently caress out of the neighbourhood afterwards.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Yeah that was pretty much exactly what was attempted with trying to shove the freeway through downtown Vancouver -- the neighbourhoods they wanted to bulldoze were the local Chinatown, the one place where the handful of black people in town lived (Jimi Hendrix used to hang out at his aunt's place there), and the poorer part of town where aboriginal and less well-off LGBT folks lived. It's a good thing it was stopped, although rear end in a top hat developers continued to gentrify the gently caress out of the neighbourhood afterwards.

And this is the result: The Georgia Viaduct. If you follow the traffic to the end of what appears to be a three-lane highway (continue on Prior, don't take the Main Street exit), it just ends in a residential neighbourhood.

https://goo.gl/maps/nQvt4jmtQtYB4KQB6

The city is planning on demolishing the rest of the viaduct in the next few years and I'm sure there will be a whole bunch of quarter million dollar apartments in its place.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Dillbag posted:

And this is the result: The Georgia Viaduct. If you follow the traffic to the end of what appears to be a three-lane highway (continue on Prior, don't take the Main Street exit), it just ends in a residential neighbourhood.

https://goo.gl/maps/nQvt4jmtQtYB4KQB6

The city is planning on demolishing the rest of the viaduct in the next few years and I'm sure there will be a whole bunch of quarter million dollar apartments in its place.

Just lol if you think any of those apartments are going to go for less than half a million.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Just lol if you think any of those apartments are going to go for less than half a million.

lol I meant three quarter million and apparently forgot to type the three

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Do we have / need a traffic planning or city planning thread.
This YouTube series is kind of interesting on that topic https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwkSQD3vqK1Q4BP-itzN6gMpJBTsfPucy j I think the guy is actually from Philly

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I think there might be one in ask/tell

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Tomarse posted:

I have lived in my house for over 10 years and one bedroom has always had an annoying creaky and wobbly floor board and holes just inside one doorway which I have put up with because initially I rented the room out and then because I am lazy.

I finally ripped the carpet and underlay out fully today and found that at some point before I owned it a floor board was violently removed and the resulting hole was partially patched with a cut and flattened baked bean tin. No attempt was made to fix down the boards around it. (might not be a baked bean tin but it is definitely some sort of canned food and i'm in the north of the UK so beans are likely)

I felt that house repairs using food cans probably belonged in this thread.

I have seen this exact thing done before at my dad's old house except it was a can of castrol GTX.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

wooger posted:

Do we have / need a traffic planning or city planning thread.
This YouTube series is kind of interesting on that topic https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwkSQD3vqK1Q4BP-itzN6gMpJBTsfPucy j I think the guy is actually from Philly

Oh yeah sorry for not linking it earlier. The thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3177805

There are about half a dozen actual traffic engineers and a few hobbyists like me who tend to respond to questions.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Cities try to build highways near people, the people bitch. Cities try to build highways where no one lives, people bitch. Cities try to improve ugly, blighted, crime ridden neighborhoods, people bitch. Cities do nothing and let those neighborhoods fester and rot, people bitch.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
https://imgur.com/gallery/80J7GTz

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

More like one or two engineers and a few people in allied professions. But yeah it's there.

There's also an urban planning thread in DnD which is pretty much monofocussed on affordable housing.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Holy poo poo. :nms: that poo poo next time.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I've never touched a welding torch, but I'm certain I could do a better job. :piss:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

kid sinister posted:

Cities try to build highways near people, the people bitch. Cities try to build highways where no one lives, people bitch. Cities try to improve ugly, blighted, crime ridden neighborhoods, people bitch. Cities do nothing and let those neighborhoods fester and rot, people bitch.

Certainly a take

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Warmachine posted:

I've never touched a welding torch, but I'm certain I could do a better job. :piss:

Ditto. How hard is "heat the joint" to understand?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
A plumber could have done a better job.

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
Neighbors bought an RV
They built it a garage
It was too small for the RV

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HelleSpud posted:

Neighbors bought an RV
They built it a garage

How many person‐minutes of hands‐on‐hips, cocked‐head staring were you treated to?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

HelleSpud posted:

Neighbors bought an RV
They built it a garage

I cannot wrap my head around that.

To design my garage, I opened both car doors, measured the perimeter, then added three feet all the way round. This established the absolute minimum floor area.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It's nearly impossible to predict exactly where the tiles ceiling will line up once installed.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Platystemon posted:

A plumber could have done a better job.

I mean, when I was a plumbing apprentice we did have a quick welding course since it would be very relevant if we ended up going into certain plumbing-adjacent careers, so I'd say you're right. :v:

I'm aghast, though, how do you actually make welding joints that ugly without trying to? Like literally after one day, even though the guy instructing us didn't know jack poo poo about what he was doing, we were already doing better than that.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

PurpleXVI posted:

I mean, when I was a plumbing apprentice we did have a quick welding course since it would be very relevant if we ended up going into certain plumbing-adjacent careers, so I'd say you're right. :v:

I'm aghast, though, how do you actually make welding joints that ugly without trying to? Like literally after one day, even though the guy instructing us didn't know jack poo poo about what he was doing, we were already doing better than that.

Don't plumbers work on gas lines, or is that what you meant by adjacent careers?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Interestingly though, the same situation in San Francisco was actually blocked from being fixed for years, BY the local Chinatown. (Admittedly SF's Chinatown is, or was, one of the biggest voting blocs in the city). The Embarcadero Freeway did the exact same thing running along the waterfront and cutting off the city from its waterfront, or at least the part that fronts the Bay i.e. might be a nice place to be most days as opposed to facing the cold foggy ocean. And that was a double-decker freeway so it did twice the blocking. However it ended right at Chinatown, which meant people had a literal highway right into Chinatown, and obviously the businesses there were very opposed to getting rid of that and killing their (literal) traffic. The thing that finally enabled it to be taken down was the 1989 earthquake, which rendered it unsafe to use and at which point the calculus of "pay x to take it down or pay 2x to fix it" meant that even Chinatown's objections couldn't save it.

Which ultimately was a good thing, because the Embarcadero is now a giant walkway next to the Bay, is a very nice place to be, and drives all sorts of business. It's also a huge tourist trap, natch, but I'll take that over drug / crime den (which raised freeways always seem to engender, underneath them - 93 in Boston had the same problem). I have no idea how much Chinatown was actually impacted, but it's been 30 years so at this point I don't think anyone is gonna argue it should be reversed, and as annoying as it is to get through SF on surface streets if you're going up to Marin, A) only rich idiots need to go to Marin and B) raised highways through cities are terrible. Objective fact.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

kid sinister posted:

Cities try to improve ugly, blighted, crime ridden neighborhoods

No they don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

GotLag posted:

No they don't