Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

I am consistently impressed by Minna Sundberg's ability to churn out excellent art for a daily webcomic in Stand Still Stay Silent. I have no idea how she does it, though she does take breaks between chapters.

Yeah it's ridiculous, as far as I can tell she is a goddamn robot just regularly churning out amazing pages every day?? And her breaks are like 2 weeks so it's not really enough to build up a giant backlog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Mikl posted:

Friends, I need your help in tracking down a webcomic I read... Probably like a decade and a half ago, if not more.

It was called As If! and it detailed the daily lives of several friends in high school. The website that had hosted the comic, asifcomic.com, is currently occupied by... Some Japanese company, apparently? I don't even know.

Through googling I found out that the comic archive was apparently moved like 14 years ago to a new website (as detailed a forum I found through the search), but the details of the new site are apparently lost to time. Those forums seem to be dead, too, since the last post in the As If! section is nearly a decade old, and the last post overall is more than a year old. So that's a dead end, too.

Any help?

ah, as if!

Writer's here:
http://blog.jetwolf.com/

Artist, Amy Mebberson, is here:
https://amymebberson.com/index.html

Last I checked she's working for Disney now! She also made "pocket princesses", which was basically chibi disney princesses (I think related to how she got her job) and Thorn, a sisters in the 70s strip concept.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Warthur posted:

My main Webcomic likes lately have been Mr Boop, which I think the BYOB webcomic thread noticed a while back, and Red Ring of Death, which is yet another parody of mid-2000s gamer comics (like Powerup Comics was) but has the advantage of hindsight on how gamer culture developed and also makes good use of the Twitter medium to flesh out the backstory of "Shawn Tuckley", the comic's creator.

Basically it's a spoof of the sort of person who does comics like this.
:allears:

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
The tweet that goes with that one adds vital commentary:
https://mobile.twitter.com/RRoD_Comic/status/1263516896508420098

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Apparently the real Tim B^Uckley has jumped the shark right into self insert comics about his real life as a father (like all the rest). And he still isn't funny

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

https://twitter.com/oniongamers/status/1224392117256183811?lang=en

Obligatory.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Mary Cagle wrote on Patreon that Sleepless Domain is going on a mini-hiatus; she's moving house, so she's taking two weeks off to pack everything up and do the move before resuming the comic.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Speaking of Sleepless Domain, is that the happiest we've seen Rue this whole comic?

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Apraxin posted:

The tweet that goes with that one adds vital commentary:
https://mobile.twitter.com/RRoD_Comic/status/1263516896508420098
Yeah, the Twitter backstory about Shawn currently being in prison is great. The tone of the webcomic is also really judged, based on the year it was made: the early 2006 comics are full of smug "I am gamer hear me roar" poo poo, then later in the timeline you get stuff like this.

With the tweet:

https://twitter.com/RRoD_Comic/status/1246464347662155777

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

IDGI why are we just posting Penny Arcade pages

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Joe Slowboat posted:

IDGI why are we just posting Penny Arcade pages
Did Gabe ever apologize for calling Kirsten Dunst a whore for having an opinion regarding Spiderman he didn't agree with?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SardonicTyrant posted:

Did Gabe ever apologize

I think we all know the answer to this question

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

SardonicTyrant posted:

Did Gabe ever apologize for calling Kirsten Dunst a whore for having an opinion regarding Spiderman he didn't agree with?

Gabe is a huge, huge rear end in a top hat, I doubt he's ever apologized for anything. Tycho's job was half writing the comic, half keeping him from embarrassing them.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It got a little better once their PR guy finally convinced him to shut the gently caress up on Twitter, now his lovely views are his in private.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Gabe is a huge, huge rear end in a top hat, I doubt he's ever apologized for anything. Tycho's job was half writing the comic, half keeping him from embarrassing them.

So not only is the comic wildly overwritten, which honestly I don’t mind stylistically, but any writing over reasonable amounts is directly taking away from Gabe being restrained? That explains a lot.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cup Runneth Over posted:

According to commentary in the trade versions of the comics, this was Tycho's job in real life as well.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Warthur posted:

Yeah, the Twitter backstory about Shawn currently being in prison is great. The tone of the webcomic is also really judged, based on the year it was made: the early 2006 comics are full of smug "I am gamer hear me roar" poo poo, then later in the timeline you get stuff like this.

With the tweet:

https://twitter.com/RRoD_Comic/status/1246464347662155777
I love the joke that, even in the original crappy endings there actually was a 'destroy the Reapers' choice that this guy ignores to get mad about.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

It's true, Lowtax makes us spirit glue the little goatee on and everything.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

How Wonderful! posted:

Fake goatees were a sign of office for the pharaohs of Egypt too

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How Wonderful! posted:

Where does he keep the stacks and stacks of Troll 2 DVDs to push on the unwary?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dawgstar posted:

According to commentary in the trade versions of the comics, this was Tycho's job in real life as well.

Sorry, that is what I meant.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

oriongates posted:

That hit close to home. I actually had to hold a mini-intervention for NJ to get her to stop redrawing the earlier chapters of Undead Friend.

oriongates posted:

I'll keep that in my pocket for the next time she has a relapse.

It's definitely a dangerous thing for a webcomic to do. Back when I did my own early-mid-2000s webcomic I couldn't help but try the same thing..my early art was just so ugly (my later art was ugly too, of course...just not quite as ugly) and it was one of the reasons for the eventual collapse of my update schedule.

The only reason I let her go back to redo ch 1 and 2 was because she had several months of buffer at the time and we had come up with some ideas we wanted to insert into those early chapters (and we wanted to add the prologue pages).

Still a fan and regular reader of UF since you mentioned it here a while ago, but this had me go back and recheck and start binging through again. With what I know now the prologue went from "uh, what just happened?" to "oh dang this persons ghost just abandoned them at the zero hour and this is how sadly it can end". I got a whole different take on that now.

What really has me scratching my head now is that those two people that happened upon that situation just seemed to instantly forget what they saw. Makes me wonder if everyone forgets about someone forever if things go south in the UF universe.

E: just got back to the point where it explains that yeah, like i thought, everyone forgets you, totally forgot about that, been quite a while!

Twenty Four fucked around with this message at 12:11 on May 24, 2020

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Twenty Four posted:

Still a fan and regular reader of UF since you mentioned it here a while ago, but this had me go back and recheck and start binging through again. With what I know now the prologue went from "uh, what just happened?" to "oh dang this persons ghost just abandoned them at the zero hour and this is how sadly it can end". I got a whole different take on that now.

What really has me scratching my head now is that those two people that happened upon that situation just seemed to instantly forget what they saw. Makes me wonder if everyone forgets about someone forever if things go south in the UF universe.

It gets a mention by Brigger here: http://undeadfriend.com/comic/undead-friend-chapter-06-page-16/

So yeah, the game will actively remove the memory of losers.

...and not to give too/ many teasers, but the next chapter will have some...more information on that. Also some spotlight time for Darwin and Haley.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

oriongates posted:

It gets a mention by Brigger here: http://undeadfriend.com/comic/undead-friend-chapter-06-page-16/

So yeah, the game will actively remove the memory of losers.

...and not to give too/ many teasers, but the next chapter will have some...more information on that. Also some spotlight time for Darwin and Haley.

lol just edited my post as you mentioned to clear it up, but yah, I totally forgot. Still the prologue makes way more sense being where we are now and i really like that!

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

NJ will be very pleased once she wakes up. She's always starved for comments and feedback, so I'll make sure to show this off to her.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I think there's a lot of feedback for new jersey but it's probably for the best that it's kept on the DL

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Powerup Comics is the only good gaming webcomic

https://twitter.com/ShadowPowerup/status/1264564657118945280?s=20

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
So here's a public post from John Allison's Patreon.

John Allison posted:

A number of people have asked me, since Steeple started, with its complex sea monster mythology, if Desmond Fishman would appear in it. I think this was also an inadvertent way of asking if Steeple is part of the Scary Go Round Cinematic Universe. It wouldn't be good for Des to appear in Steeple. It would damage the comic very badly. But Steeple can appear in Des' comic, "Cattywampus", and so he has now moved to the Cornish town of Tredregyn.

Please take the time in the comments to thank your fellow readers who made this happen. I am not sending him back to Tackleford. This is how things are now.

plus a bonus pic of Maggie and Des from Allison's Instagram

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
getting back into narrative longform webcomics after catching up on gunnerkrigg and kill six billion. did unsounded ever end

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Nah its still going but I just can't generate the give-a-shits about the characters to keep reading.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
what about that objectivist psuedo-cyberpunk comic with the blue haired girl and the symbolic rear end. did that ever start telling a real story

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
dresden kodak

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Not really. I'm not even sure if Diaz has gotten any faster.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

getting back into narrative longform webcomics after catching up on gunnerkrigg and kill six billion. did unsounded ever end

Just Offscreen posted:

Nah its still going but I just can't generate the give-a-shits about the characters to keep reading.

Unsounded is still going other then the occasional "scheduled" break. I still really enjoy it for the characters and word building, but jumping from so many different sets of characters, side stories, and settings back and forth it sure can take a while for anything to move forward much with any particular group. Some of it seems more like the multiple stories the author wants to write for themselves because she sure does love her characters, then conveying the story to be easily read and seen which is fine, but I totally get how that can get tiring for plenty of readers, myself sometimes included.

I still like the unique universe, and the author having so much of it fleshed out in their head when she does the constant tumblr Q&A's that it keeps my interest, but I do wish we could fast forward a bit pretty often. I feel like that might be part of my issue with it, the fact that the author has it all figured out but really likes hinting and teasing at things with no context and no reason for anyone to have a clue about what's going on. It's like a jig saw puzzle with half the pieces missing, but I guess that's supposed to be "clever", both for the author and anyone trying to piece anything together, with the hint that one day the rest of the pieces will show up years from now.

That might all sound like a tough criticism, but I mean it more as a complement in the "I care enough that I just want some answers" category then anything.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Gripweed posted:

Powerup Comics is the only good gaming webcomic

Awkward Zombie is both Cool and Good :colbert:

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Twenty Four posted:

"scheduled"

There are pretty clear rules to her schedule though? Three pages per week, but sometimes she releases more for whatever reason, which she eventually makes up for (like now) by taking a break and evening things out so it still averages out to three per week. And the breaks after chapters are always the same. As far as I'm aware it's about maintaining a buffer.

e: oh hey, new Unsounded update

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 25, 2020

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Unsounded definitely benefits from letting a backlog build up and then bingeing a chapter all at once.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

Not really. I'm not even sure if Diaz has gotten any faster.

I think he got faster but not any better at storytelling.

Looking at some recent pages and judging from his waifu's outfits it seems like he's over his Korra phase and is just crankin it to generic steampunk stuff for the most part

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 25, 2020

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

scary ghost dog posted:

what about that objectivist psuedo-cyberpunk comic with the blue haired girl and the symbolic rear end. did that ever start telling a real story

Yes, but it's still as dense and incomprehensible and horny as ever.

Just people giving multi-paragraph speeches loaded with jargon on every single page, with cyberpunk stuff in the background. Like a webcomic version of Shirow Masamune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

The_Other posted:

So here's a public post from John Allison's Patreon.

plus a bonus pic of Maggie and Des from Allison's Instagram

GOD.
loving.
DAMNIT.
I.
HATE.
THAT.
FISHMAN.