Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

MrBond posted:

the laminated screen on the air really is quite a bit nicer, and it also ends up thinner as a result

$500 used to be the standard price point for the ipad, it's not like it's some unconscionable number

Yeah, I quite like mine. Didn't need a pro, but wanted the nicer screen, so there's your purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
For anyone on the fence, just try to get a look at them in person. I don’t use a stylus, where I hear the laminated screen does definitely make a difference, but the difference in display for just looking at is imo pretty minimal. It isn’t like going to OLED or the move to retina density.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
The iPad Pro might just have the nicest form factor of any Apple product though

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

abraham linksys posted:

i have a few friends who use ipad pros who are like "oh yeah the first-gen pencil is trash compared to this you should save up," and there's zero loving chance i'm going to drop $500 more on a tablet just for a nicer pencil, especially when my main use case for this thing is "a screen to watch netflix on while i am working on my laptop, and also sometimes used to look at recipes in the kitchen." the last time i actually used a stylus of any sort was a nintendo ds, so i have no idea what my expectations should be, is it relatively easy to do "normal" hand-writing with or do you have to write like you're on a whiteboard?
The new pencil is better in pretty much every way, but calling the the old one "trash" is silly.

In use, there is one major difference between the new and old pencil: you can double tap the side of the new one to change which tool you're using in a drawing app. You can't do that on the original. For a serious graphics person, I'm sure that's really nice.

When not in use, relative to the new pencil, the original one is a mild pain in the rear end.

New pencil magnetically attaches to the ipad frame, original has to be carried separately.

New pencil charges while it's magnetically attached, original has to be charged by either shoving it in the ipad lightning port or finding your special dongle to connect a lightning cable. You then have to carry that tiny dongle around too.

New pencil just charges as-is, original has a tiny cap covering its lighting connector that does not attach to the pencil. Don't lose it while you're charging!

But those are annoyances, not dealbreakers. For the last two, there is a selection on Amazon and elsewhere of $5-10 silicone things that can attach the cap to your pencil and/or the dongle to a lightning cable.

The third option is the Apple-sanctioned Logitech crayon, which was originally made for schools. Same deal as the original apple pencil, but not pressure sensitive. Has a charging port like a phone rather than bayoneting into the ipad. Price hovers between $50 and $70. I only used one for about 30 seconds, but it seemed fine.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

sourdough posted:

I don’t use a stylus, where I hear the laminated screen does definitely make a difference

this is interesting, I've actually been trying to Google whether there's any significant difference in the drawing experience between the Air and the 10.2, but most articles just talk about the slight screen size. probably not worth the extra money to go from a discounted 10.2" ($250-300) to a refurb Air ($420) even if there is, I guess

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

hey girl you up posted:

The new pencil is better in pretty much every way, but calling the the old one "trash" is silly.

You forgot the input lag- it's far better on the V2 leading to a more natural feel when using it.

The thing I hated most about my V1 pencil was that it was kind of loving weird in general. The cap sucks, charging it by sticking it in the lightning port is awkward and stupid, Keeping it around sucks because it just floats around and doesn't have a "home". The dimensions are kind of awkward in general.

Having to click the eraser on the ipad instead of tapping the pencil sucks too... it's one of those things you kind of accept until you use the V2 and then you're just like "oh this is how it was supposed to be". And that's basically the V2 pencil in general: basically every aspect of it makes you go "oh that's how they wanted it to be in the first place".

I'm not much of a "tech as art" guy but I love the 3rd gen iPad Pro. The pencil is amazing, and the tablet itself is as close to art as I've ever seen in a piece of technology. Every part of it is carefully considered, best in class, and nothing feels extraneous or left out. It's basically the Star Trek screen reader I wanted as a kid.

Like, can I honestly say that the Pro is worth it for most people? Eh probably not, but if you can swing it, drat it's so loving good. It's the only piece of tech I own where I can't think of how it could be improved (OLED or something of that nature notwithstanding I guess, but even then, meh).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Taima posted:

You forgot the input lag- it's far better on the V2 leading to a more natural feel when using it.

The thing I hated most about my V1 pencil was that it was kind of loving weird in general. The cap sucks, charging it by sticking it in the lightning port is awkward and stupid, Keeping it around sucks because it just floats around and doesn't have a "home". The dimensions are kind of awkward in general.

Having to click the eraser on the ipad instead of tapping the pencil sucks too... it's one of those things you kind of accept until you use the V2 and then you're just like "oh this is how it was supposed to be". And that's basically the V2 pencil in general: basically every aspect of it makes you go "oh that's how they wanted it to be in the first place".

I'm not much of a "tech as art" guy but I love the 3rd gen iPad Pro. The pencil is amazing, and the tablet itself is as close to art as I've ever seen in a piece of technology. Every part of it is carefully considered, best in class, and nothing feels extraneous or left out. It's basically the Star Trek screen reader I wanted as a kid.

Like, can I honestly say that the Pro is worth it for most people? Eh probably not, but if you can swing it, drat it's so loving good. It's the only piece of tech I own where I can't think of how it could be improved (OLED or something of that nature notwithstanding I guess, but even then, meh).

The OS and available apps could use development, as always. I think it’s really hard not to constantly compare the iPad to other classes of devices like smartphones and PCs, and to constantly feel like it isn’t living up to what it could be.

X86 computers don’t really have that because any current limitations have to be largely speculated away. But with an iPad, you want it to do the thing your computer does and it can be frustrating when it can’t, often because the OS simply doesn’t have a way.

Every year it improves in leaps and bounds, but it still feels like it’s playing catch-up in a lot of ways.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

the apple pencil seems to be like a week backordered from apple and up to a month backordered on other sites so i suppose i have evaded this impulse purchase for now. took a brief look at the logitech crayon but it seems like it's not worth the tradeoffs unless it drops below at least $50

will still keep an eye out for any $250 ipad drops over this weekend, since i still have use cases beyond drawing anyways, but i suspect last weekend's sale (and everyone matching it) kinda cleaned out inventory for a bit given the current situation...

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

The OS and available apps could use development, as always. I think it’s really hard not to constantly compare the iPad to other classes of devices like smartphones and PCs, and to constantly feel like it isn’t living up to what it could be.

X86 computers don’t really have that because any current limitations have to be largely speculated away. But with an iPad, you want it to do the thing your computer does and it can be frustrating when it can’t, often because the OS simply doesn’t have a way.

Every year it improves in leaps and bounds, but it still feels like it’s playing catch-up in a lot of ways.

This is a good point. I didn’t specify but I was talking about the hardware alone, my bad.

I agree that the iPad has a lot of software optimization opportunities. For sure. The upcoming iPadOS must make huge strides.

The rumors of Xcode coming are super interesting if true. That would be a huge positive shift and also implies other improvements like, potentially, a better file system and command line access. Kinda getting ahead of myself though- we’ll see what they come up with.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
The first gen pencil is fine for note taking, diagrams and sketches in my experience. I’ve never noticed any lag at all.

I had to buy a specific case with somewhere to put it though. That being said I wouldn’t trust the magnet mechanism in the new one much either.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Taima posted:

Camera bump lol

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

twelve hours have passed and the pencil is back in stock at best buy so i'm back on my bullshit

one more thing i've had trouble googling, because the internet is a loving nightmare of "top X thing" sites that have never once actually used a product they're writing about : what's a good stand or case with kickstand for propping up an ipad (10.2) on my bed? like i just need a kickstand that is wide and sturdy so it doesn't fall over on an uneven or wobbly surface. i see all the keyboard cases have a stand like that but i'm a bit unclear if you can use those stands without the keyboard

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

twelve hours have passed and the pencil is back in stock at best buy so i'm back on my bullshit

one more thing i've had trouble googling, because the internet is a loving nightmare of "top X thing" sites that have never once actually used a product they're writing about : what's a good stand or case with kickstand for propping up an ipad (10.2) on my bed? like i just need a kickstand that is wide and sturdy so it doesn't fall over on an uneven or wobbly surface. i see all the keyboard cases have a stand like that but i'm a bit unclear if you can use those stands without the keyboard

Idk what you mean. I have a collapsible AmazonBasics stand that I like because it’s collapsible and pretty versatile. I also have a super cheap plastic ikea stand that lets me prop the iPad up in two orientations. I feel like I’m good with stands.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i ended up going with this cheapo case my friend vouched for as something flat and long enough to stand up in bed

went ahead and ordered an ipad since it's down to $280 on amazon and i want it soon and do not want to deal with a run on stocks over memorial day. ordered the pencil from best buy as well which will get here tomorrow so i have something to stare at wistfully while waiting

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

abraham linksys posted:

took a brief look at the logitech crayon but it seems like it's not worth the tradeoffs unless it drops below at least $50

I got the Crayon on sale for $30 last month and at that price I’m very happy with it for my uses, which is occasionally reviewing and marking up PDFs now that we’re all working from home and there are no hard copies anymore. If you’re an artist or prefer all your notetaking to be handwritten, I’d hold out for the Pencil, but it’s decent if you only need a stylus occasionally.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

abraham linksys posted:

i ended up going with this cheapo case my friend vouched for as something flat and long enough to stand up in bed

went ahead and ordered an ipad since it's down to $280 on amazon and i want it soon and do not want to deal with a run on stocks over memorial day. ordered the pencil from best buy as well which will get here tomorrow so i have something to stare at wistfully while waiting
Those types of cheapo cases should totally fine, unless your bed is super unstable or something (:quagmire:).

Blotto_Otter posted:

I got the Crayon on sale for $30 last month and at that price I’m very happy with it for my uses, which is occasionally reviewing and marking up PDFs now that we’re all working from home and there are no hard copies anymore. If you’re an artist or prefer all your notetaking to be handwritten, I’d hold out for the Pencil, but it’s decent if you only need a stylus occasionally.
I was originally going to get a Crayon cause cheapness (and not wanting to spend on a Pencil 1 when I’ll eventually have an iPad with Pencil 2 support), but I already had a case with a Pencil slot*. So my cheapness countered itself cause I didn’t want to get another case and didn’t like the waste of the slot.

I ended up getting a used/refurb one on eBay for like $60-70 I think. Figured worst case I think the service would’ve been $30 if the battery sucked and I'd end up spending about the same for a new one total. Battery was fine so it was all good.

*This reminds me that I had a knockoff Pencil shaped stylus (with active small tip). It actually worked ok, but being a regular stylus it had the obvious issues that’d come with that. I think there’s newer knockoffs that are actual Pencil knockoffs capability wise, but at least at the time they were about the same price as the Crayon so I never bothered. There’s YouTube reviews and stuff though.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

japtor posted:

*This reminds me that I had a knockoff Pencil shaped stylus (with active small tip). It actually worked ok, but being a regular stylus it had the obvious issues that’d come with that. I think there’s newer knockoffs that are actual Pencil knockoffs capability wise, but at least at the time they were about the same price as the Crayon so I never bothered. There’s YouTube reviews and stuff though.

I read about this a bit, but one of the weird things with those newer styluses is that they require custom per-app support for things like pressure sensitivity. i was looking at adonit's lineup but the compatibility pages scared me away

it seems like the one advantage with the adonit is that if you do use an app that supports their shortcuts thing, you could use that like you would the double tap on the pencil 2, and i believe it would work with non-pro ipads. again that requires special app compatibility, but it might be tempting?

i just went with the pencil with the knowledge i can probably sell it if i want to try a different one. when they like refresh the ipad in two months with pencil 2 support or whatever it'll probably lose most of its resale value but not all so i'd live

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

abraham linksys posted:

I read about this a bit, but one of the weird things with those newer styluses is that they require custom per-app support for things like pressure sensitivity. i was looking at adonit's lineup but the compatibility pages scared me away

it seems like the one advantage with the adonit is that if you do use an app that supports their shortcuts thing, you could use that like you would the double tap on the pencil 2, and i believe it would work with non-pro ipads. again that requires special app compatibility, but it might be tempting?

i just went with the pencil with the knowledge i can probably sell it if i want to try a different one. when they like refresh the ipad in two months with pencil 2 support or whatever it'll probably lose most of its resale value but not all so i'd live
Nah the Adonit and the likes are other alternative active styluses with their own APIs. The ones I'm thinking of are like this one, it sounds like it somehow just works mostly like the Pencil, minus pressure (and presumably tilt), basically like the Crayon I guess. But like I said at the price (~$40) it's hard to justify, vs the ~$10 I spent on the cheaper type knockoff stylus.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Best Buy has the 32gb iPad for $250 and 128gb for $329 again.

I told you to wait Abraham Linksys!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:negative:

tbf I was right to be concerned about shipping lag since they're already saying they won't ship until 5/27. I'm impatient enough to be okay having paid $30 more for faster arrival

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

abraham linksys posted:

what's the point of the ipad air? i've been thinking about getting my first ipad (really pissed i missed the $250 10.2 sale :(), but i've seen a few reviews be like "well the air has a better screen and processor so you might want to save up for it." is that really the only difference? it just seems like the most pointless product, being up to twice the price for... what, better performance for a handful of apple arcade games? it still only has first-gen pencil support, no magic keyboard support, and anyone who wants a productivity tablet would just get a pro so i really don't get the point

As someone who bought an Air a couple of months ago, I was comparing between the Air, the just-refreshed iPad, and the 1st gen 11" Pro. I ended up choosing the Air because:
- same family processor as the pro (A12 vs A12X) vs A10 in the iPad*
- same resolution and dpi across all 3
- same front-face camera as the pro (7MP) vs 1.2MP on the iPad - planned on using this for video conferences since I've been WFH since before the plague
- iPad only comes in 32GB or 128GB and I was looking at a 64GB

Not a huge price difference between the Air and the iPad, and the iPad doesn't come in 64GB, so it'd mean paying an extra 25% for extra storage I realistically don't need, but getting an older CPU. At this stage, I hadn't even considered the difference between laminated vs non-laminated displays, I just looked at the screen resolutions and they were pretty much equal. So on the price comparison alone, the Air won over the iPad for me.
Then deciding between the Air and the Pro, although the display is apparently better for gaming and graphics work, that's not particularly important to me. Resolutions and DPIs are almost identical, and the processors are almost identical also*

So for me, the Air is pretty much a Pro with touch ID/lightning instead of face ID/usb-c, neither of which could justify the 50% price premium for the Pro vs the Air.

*yes, yes, more cores on the Pro, but then again, I'm not going to be rendering the next Pixar movie on this either, so not particularly important to me either way.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Camera bump lol

poo poo. I mean it’s a good question, and I’ve opinied in this thread recently that i would, 100% buy an ipad pro with absolutely no camera.

The problem is, as long as a camera exists on the pro (a bad decision arguably and we can go into why it shouldn’t) the bump is just physics. Cameras need physical space to operate. It’s difficult for me to blame a consumer product for physics-based issues :shrug:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Taima posted:

poo poo. I mean it’s a good question, and I’ve opinied in this thread recently that i would, 100% buy an ipad pro with absolutely no camera.

The problem is, as long as a camera exists on the pro (a bad decision arguably and we can go into why it shouldn’t) the bump is just physics. Cameras need physical space to operate. It’s difficult for me to blame a consumer product for physics-based issues :shrug:

Yeah, if only they could make an iPad with a camera that didn’t require a camera bump, but alas physics prevents it

sourdough fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 23, 2020

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Taima posted:

I think there is a Feynmann book on how Apple cannot make devices without bumps and are not allowed to make the phones/tablets a few millimeters thicker overall, with the resulting empty space inside used for stuff like heatsinks or batteries....

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
You guys reminded me part of the reason why I bought the $250 iPad: no camera bump. I don’t know why they can’t just put trash cameras on that take up less room.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

I think there is a Feynmann book on how Apple cannot make devices without bumps and are not allowed to make the phones/tablets a few millimeters thicker overall, with the resulting empty space inside used for stuff like heatsinks or batteries....

That's interesting, I don't suppose you know what book it is?

I actually kinda side with Apple on this- the iPad Pro 3rd gen is the perfect thickness imo. I would not support a thicker end product even if it did result in no bump, or greater heat dissipation/larger battery.

Apple is mostly all-in on their ecosystem, but they refuse to make individual parts required, to its own detriment as a holistic ecosystem (imo). Having an iPhone should be the base requirement for buying into Apple and then all product decisions and design considerations should flow from that.

For instance, say you need to scan a document on your iPad. It should prompt you to take that scan, on your phone, not on the iPad, and then transfer over the resulting image seamlessly. The iPad shouldn't have a camera at all. This is for several reasons:

1) The iPhone needs, and has, the best cameras available at any given time.
2) Phones have, on the whole, a far shorter upgrade cycle than tablets, therefore there is a high probability that your tablet will nearly always have a worse camera than your current iPhone.
3) Your phone is, by and large, always on you and readily available by default. Therefore its availability can be assumed.
4) Avoiding a duplication of redundant cameras removes a failure point and is arguably environmentally friendly, a stated Apple design goal (though we can argue about how much they really care about that, it's still a selling point to some degree, or at least a minor marketing win if framed correctly).

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
iPad without an iPhone is great. Also it looks like the last 9.7” base iPad is exactly thick enough for the Pro camera bump to be flush (iPad thickness = iPad Pro thickness + camera bump length). Given that drawing and stylus use is such a big use case for the Pros, making the camera flush so you can use the thing flat on a surface would have been ideal.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Taima posted:

Having an iPhone should be the base requirement for buying into Apple and then all product decisions and design considerations should flow from that.
You're completely overlooking education and corporate use, to start.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Any company I’ve ever dealt with will cheap out on phones and go Android, but are forced to buy iPads for people who need tablets since none of the android tablets seem to stack up.

Then there’s AR experiences which work much better on a larger screen.

Even as someone who owns both, sometimes you need to take a photo really quickly and if the iPad is already in your hands, having to set that down to pull your phone out of your pocket and swipe for the camera is just going to be too inconvenient.

All logical reasons aside, saying “if you want to own an Apple product you MUST have a £600 buy-in of a different product first” is just loving lol.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

Any company I’ve ever dealt with will cheap out on phones and go Android, but are forced to buy iPads for people who need tablets since none of the android tablets seem to stack up.

Then there’s AR experiences which work much better on a larger screen.

Even as someone who owns both, sometimes you need to take a photo really quickly and if the iPad is already in your hands, having to set that down to pull your phone out of your pocket and swipe for the camera is just going to be too inconvenient.

All logical reasons aside, saying “if you want to own an Apple product you MUST have a £600 buy-in of a different product first” is just loving lol.

The iPad camera is immensely useful as a document scanner

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Taima posted:

I actually kinda side with Apple on this- the iPad Pro 3rd gen is the perfect thickness imo. I would not support a thicker end product even if it did result in no bump, or greater heat dissipation/larger battery.

Apple is mostly all-in on their ecosystem, but they refuse to make individual parts required, to its own detriment as a holistic ecosystem (imo). Having an iPhone should be the base requirement for buying into Apple and then all product decisions and design considerations should flow from that.

For instance, say you need to scan a document on your iPad. It should prompt you to take that scan, on your phone, not on the iPad, and then transfer over the resulting image seamlessly. The iPad shouldn't have a camera at all. This is for several reasons:

2) Phones have, on the whole, a far shorter upgrade cycle than tablets, therefore there is a high probability that your tablet will nearly always have a worse camera than your current iPhone.
3) Your phone is, by and large, always on you and readily available by default. Therefore its availability can be assumed.
4) Avoiding a duplication of redundant cameras removes a failure point and is arguably environmentally friendly, a stated Apple design goal (though we can argue about how much they really care about that, it's still a selling point to some degree, or at least a minor marketing win if framed correctly).

You are off your rocker, the biggest ipad markets are education, point of sale and media consumption(all running on the lowest end ipad/ipad mini) where being thin is actually detrimental(as you will need to fit them in a shock/child/manchild proof case anyway, so who cares about cutting one extra millimeter) and cost is king. Clueless c-level that need an all apple ecosystem from iphone to apple chair wheels are a drop in the ocean.

If i had to ask finance to buy all of our ipad users extra iphones rather than our stock androids due to the ipad "subpar" rear cam, it would incur an extra expense so big we might as well give them surface pros.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 24, 2020

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Speaking of AR are there any cool apps that really take advantage of the lidar in the new pros?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Taima posted:

Having an iPhone should be the base requirement for buying into Apple and then all product decisions and design considerations should flow from that.

any argument that says "you cannot use an ipad unless you spend at least $400 on another device to do basic document scanning" is dumb as poo poo. if you want to give me the option by expanding Continuity that'll let me continue my workflow on a different device then that'd be cool, but making me do that absolutely sucks. i shouldn't be spending $800 on a device that can't do relatively basic tasks. not to mention apple's entire philosophy with the ipad over the last few years is expanding its abilities as a standalone device that is less reliant on other things to fill its gaps.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

As it is now I don't like that there's poo poo I can arbitrarily only access on my phone and not my ipad (apple health is the main one that comes to mind)

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

priznat posted:

Speaking of AR are there any cool apps that really take advantage of the lidar in the new pros?

I think people have been asking this in some form since the 6S. No.

Maybe the AR/VR glasses will spur something in a couple years time but till then enjoy putting IKEA furniture in your home/yard/hovel. For me AR on the phone is a fun diversion/novelty every now and again but holding the iPad continuously for any sort of AR experience is more hassle than anything.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Taima posted:

I don’t use my iPad camera that much but when I do it’s because my phone is nowhere near me and if my iPad demanded i go dig it out in order to scan a phot or document I would probably stop buying Apple products forever.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Taima posted:

True. Although for scanning the iPad camera is generally more than good enough as of a while ago.

quote:

You know what's more readily available and can be assumed available when you want to scan documents on your iPad? Your iPad.

quote:

Hell why not take it further and just make iPads portable screens? iPhones are more than capable enough and wireless display tech is pretty close, just get rid of all the redundant computer guts cause the iPhone will probably be there anyway.

priznat posted:

Saw this a few days ago:
https://twitter.com/KulawikZieba/status/1261962574658232320

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Taima posted:

wow people like this actually exist

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Taima posted:

This has got to be the stupidest thing I've seen this weekend. And that's with Trump tweeting up a storm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

camera bump dorks are the loving worst