Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I have a this thing floating around somewhere: https://www.startech.com/AV/Converters/Video/pcie-hdmi-capture-card~PEXHDCAP60L2 it has a breakout adapter for HDMI, will basically suck up anything you can throw at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.
Confirmed, I am impatient and bad with money.

The video card and case are the 2 things holding me back from my new build, so I pulled the trigger on a 2080 Ti which I will use to build my computer right on my desk until my case arrives in a couple months, then when the new cards drop I'll sell my 2080 Ti and get the new hotness.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

whats more important is that you maximize your preferred settings and convince yourself youll get enough of a return on the resale

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.
I'm only expecting to get half my cost back, depending of course on what the cost of the 30 series is, and how long the wait is.

Welp, Microcenter was wrong and it wasn't in stock, so my reservation got cancelled right away. I guess I am not picking one up right now.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

isnt the 2080ti still over 1k? why not grab a 2080 super for now at $700 and expect to take well less than a 50% loss, or even if you do it'd be a loss of like... $350 instead of $600

if you could go back in time a 2080ti like a year ago wouldnt have been that bad because you'd have enjoyed it for a year without losing tons on its resale... also the next gen consoles seem like they'll come in under the current 2080ti performance, so it will likely have an extremely long lifespan.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 24, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The next-gen is supposedly coming out in September, so I'd hold off on buying any cards until late June/early July, and even then, have a bias for EVGA while Step-Up is still a thing.

The 2060S is the best 'placeholder' card at the moment.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
drat. Buying a 2080Ti right now is such a money-burning big baller move that I'm actually kind of impressed. That's the nerdy equivalent of taking a money gun to the strip club.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Best Buy is pissing me off now. I mentioned before that the 2070 Super I ordered got "delayed," and that I couldn't contact customer service yesterday because they close by 6pm my time.

Well, I contacted them today.

First I spent half an hour in the Live Chat, where the agent verified the order now showed that they would try to deliver it by Friday, May 29, or would cancel the order. That's a week loving late. At this point there are several cards that show in stock, including a couple at Best Buy I would have been happy to switch over to. Also there were cards available at NewEgg. The agent tells me a refund can take 3-5 business days to process, and I think about it and decide I don't want to hang in limbo, that I have just enough money to be able to still buy a different card and have enough left over to wait for the refund to come through. I tell the agent to go ahead and cancel the order, and he is away from the chat for a couple minutes and comes back to say the system won't let him cancel it, that it's "stuck" and the next step would be to call the customer service line. I don't have any reason to doubt the chat agent - I've worked jobs like that and he probably has poo poo in the way of access to anything meaningful.

So I call the Best Buy 800 number. I get the automated message saying estimated wait time is 2 hours 4 minutes. That puts it close to their closing time, but I figure, gently caress it, put the phone on speakerphone and hoped for people to lose their patience.

An hour and 20 minutes passes, with some of the worst hold music ever, and then the line opens and I hear a female voice say "Uh, hi, can I help you?"

I said, "Yes, I have a delayed order I need help with."

And then she hung up.

I kept checking Best Buy and NewEgg while on hold, and watched as the cards slowly went out of stock, one by one.

Also, after getting hung up on I checked my Best Buy order page and it now shows they hope to deliver it by Saturday, May 30.

This is loving infuriating. I ordered the card in the first place because I wanted to have it installed for my birthday, which is tomorrow. Now I not only don't have a new GPU, I also have an inaccessible order, no delivery estimate, and over $500 sitting in limbo.

I ordered my new monitor from them like 2 or 3 weeks ago and everything was just fine. This experience is like pulling teeth and makes me want to never order from Best Buy again. At this point I want to demand next-day shipping if they actually the get the loving card I ordered, or a refund along with a gift card to make up for the amount of time and frustration they've caused me.

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015
I just got a hand me down 1080 I wanted to pop into my Ryzen rig, but my 550w PSU only has 6 pin power connectors and not the 8 the card expects.

Would I be safe going with an adapter, or should I really get a whole new PSU? 550w seems like plenty for this rig - no overclocking either - but I don’t know enough whether adapters deliver adequate power or not.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Foolishly, I too, am trying to buy a video card right now. Where the hell did all the Nvidia cards *go*?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Guys it's kind of an unprecedented time right now in the world lol

There's been no inventory of stuff for awhile (fake edit: I should say "crappy inventory")

It's annoying and lovely and I feel the frustration with best buy because that's the same run around I got after smashing my legs and body in a car wreck in March , except it was with that poo poo.

Microsoft is up like 75% YOY on w10 license sales so that should tell you drat near all you need to know about PC industry rn

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Except for "my current card just broke" there is pretty much no reason to buy a new GPU right now. Just tackle those backlogs for a few months until the new gen cards arrive and then get the lay of the land and make your purchasing decisions based on the new info.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i will say though that being hung up on by the umpteenth rep on the phone that clearly just had probably their 10th gently caress this moment of the day

fuckin blows.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cactus posted:

Except for "my current card just broke" there is pretty much no reason to buy a new GPU right now.

Unless you want one and can afford it, like at any other time.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Unless you want one and can afford it, like at any other time.

There's no point paying more for something that will probably cost less in a few months unless you really need it say for example if it breaks.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

The way I see it every goon that buys a card puts one more potential card on SA mart

Let it ride

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I’ll be pretty pissed if NVidia decides that they can get away with another generation without a price/performance improvement just because they managed to launch two generations in a row at the tail end of historic supply issues.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The next-gen is supposedly coming out in September, so I'd hold off on buying any cards until late June/early July, and even then, have a bias for EVGA while Step-Up is still a thing.

The 2060S is the best 'placeholder' card at the moment.

I didn't know this existed until just now. I might just adopt this strategy. The most recent graphics card I have on hand is a 970 mini that still works, so I plan to limp along on that, but that program makes rolling the dice on getting a placeholder card and hoping Ampere launch falls within the window possibly make sense.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

This is a whole bunch of nerd poo poo I don't understand but maybe some folks here will get something out of it:

Optimizing for the RDNA Architecture: presentation notes

https://interplayoflight.wordpress.com/2020/05/23/optimizing-for-the-rdna-architecture-presentation-notes/amp/

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Warmachine posted:

I didn't know this existed until just now. I might just adopt this strategy. The most recent graphics card I have on hand is a 970 mini that still works, so I plan to limp along on that, but that program makes rolling the dice on getting a placeholder card and hoping Ampere launch falls within the window possibly make sense.

The real EVGA play is to buy their products and RMA them when they're near end of warranty to hopefully get a free new model card.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Cactus posted:

There's no point paying more for something that will probably cost less in a few months unless you really need it say for example if it breaks.

A lot of us are going to be stuck around the house a lot more this summer and maybe feel like it's worthwhile even if you "lose" more money than you usually would. For some of us the time is work way more than the money.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Stickman posted:

I’ll be pretty pissed if NVidia decides that they can get away with another generation without a price/performance improvement just because they managed to launch two generations in a row at the tail end of historic supply issues.

The move to 7nm will, by itself, ensure that performance is massively increased. Now what they do with the pricing...well that remains to be seen, and I think they're trying to play chicken with AMD on that so they can price them "correctly" (read: as high as possible without giving AMD much of an opening to slot in as substantially better deals).

But, yeah, if you're hoping that >$1k xx80 Tis aren't here to stay, you are almost certainly going to be disappointed.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It’s why I really wish AMD would put out a card that could actually goddamn compete when it comes to high end stuff. The 5700XT can, performance wise, stand up to the 2080 or the 2070S but driver issues really killed it for being something that could put market pressure on NVidia, and I really, really fuckin’ doubt they’ll have a good ray tracing option for PC anytime soon. Pretty sure ray tracing is really gonna take off in the next year or two since the new consoles are gonna have it. And yes, I know they’ll be doing that on AMD hardware but that’s in an environment where it’s standardized hardware. I’m sure for PC there’s going to be some major growing pains. And if NVidia lays out some cash for DLSS to really take off, that market gap is only gonna grow and make pricing even less competitive. It’s frustrating- I like Nvidia’s stuff but they’re mopping up a bit too handily.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
There's essentially no chance of AMD competing at the high end, but what we might see this generation is the $300-500 market make a significant step forward in performance, and while that's midrange for Nvidia and upper range for AMD, at least they can compete to some degree.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

K8.0 posted:

There's essentially no chance of AMD competing at the high end, but what we might see this generation is the $300-500 market make a significant step forward in performance, and while that's midrange for Nvidia and upper range for AMD, at least they can compete to some degree.

It's also a much larger market segment than the top-tier that the xx80 Ti serves, so in that sense it'll be a better experience for far more people, which is something I think we can all get behind.

But I agree with you: AMD's design focus has been on smaller cards, not on huge one, and there's little reason to expect that they're putting much effort into chasing the performance crown right now.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Warmachine posted:

There are a few things to keep in mind going this route:
1. Once you're enrolled in the program (which requires registration of both card and the program within 90 days of purchase), it's hands off until your 'window' opens. With a new generation of cards, this could be as long as 3-6+ months after the launch.
1a. I say this because I remember people saying their 'turn' came up last time around with the 2xxx series cards around January-March.
2. This means you have to plan to have the money to take advantage of the program when your turn is up, which might be iffy in the coming months. You have a limited timeframe to confirm you still want to take advantage of it.
3. Initially, they'll only make the lower-end Black SKUs available. The incorporation of the other SKUs on the list at present is new-ish.
4. If you're planning on going from a 2060S to a 3080Ti...be prepared for the 3080Ti's price to be eye-wateringly high.
5. Keep all the dongles and knick-knacks that came with your card somewhere handy as well as a scanned copy of your invoice/receipt, as well as upload a copy with your registration.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

K8.0 posted:

Maybe 2080/super level or marginally better performace available for $500. Certainly would be that "step forward" but I wouldn't expect anything better than that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Besides noise, is there any downsides to setting a very aggressive fan curve for my blower 2070S? I went and upped a lot of stuff and it’s dramatically improved my stress test numbers and is giving me a good pretty decent boost on other benchmarks. Nothing crazy but 3-4 percent for free is pretty nice.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

BCRock posted:

You can't input the HDMI into your video card, but there are various other ways to use your digital camera as a webcam that depend entirely on the specific camera you're talking about.

Canon, for example, has their own software that lets you capture a live feed from (almost) any of their EOS cameras over the USB connection, but won't work for many of their digital camcorders that shut off the love view once USB is connected.

Easiest way to find out is to type your camera model + "webcam" into Google/YouTube. If it can be done, someone's already done it and made a video about how to do it.
A bit late but I personally tried this with an EOS M50. It works great, you can set all the settings on the camera manually (white balance, exposure, aperture, even color profiles for the artsy B&W look), face detection dual-pixel AF works, and it just shows up as a regular webcam on the PC. The resolution I think is a bit under 720p but it looks orders of magnitude better than any webcam.

Other manufacturers might have something similar or I think there's a paid software that works with pretty much everything. Otherwise you'd need a capture card as others said.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I maybe kinda vocally agreed to buy a used 2070S after the 3000 launch, at a price below whatever they’re going for on eBay after the downward price adjustments. The good news is we didn’t agree to any specific price or percentage, so negotiations are still ongoing. The bad news is you guys make it sound like this raytracing stuff will catch fire and the weak experimental support in these current cards will be outclassed quickly.

I still don’t see that happening until AMD does to DLSS the same thing they did to hair motion and other features, creating a functional copy that isn’t so tightly tied to their own hardware. Of course Nvidia wouldn’t immediately drop DLSS even if an open competitor appeared, and there’s this period where a format war will be a proxy for the card war, but Nvidia always gives in on these over time.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The 2070 Super does fine with RTX maxed out and everything cranked/1440p even with DLSS off. Youngblood’s benchmark got me an average of 99fps with DLSS off compared to 107 with it on and set for quality and 130 with it on and set for performance. DLSS is nice but the 2070S is no slouch without it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

The bad news is you guys make it sound like this raytracing stuff will catch fire and the weak experimental support in these current cards will be outclassed quickly.

They'll get outclassed mostly because the 30-series will be on 7nm. Raytracing will come eventually, but I wouldn't expect it to really be more than a nice-to-have for another year or two after the new consoles release--it's gonna take dev shops a bit to figure out how to implement it without tanking performance like it currently does. In any even the 2070S should be able to keep up at least with a console-equivalent experience. Whether or not that's good enough for you is your own choice to make.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

LRADIKAL posted:

I just did the web cam from DSLR thing... My Lumix can connect via WiFi, but it's a low quality stream. You need an HDMI capture card. As far as I can tell, there are three types. Ones in eBay with limited capabilities 1080p@30 fps for 16$, old used full frame 1080p ones for a hundred dollars, and very expensive 4k versions. I ordered a cheap junk one, they get mixed to bad reviews, but we'll see.

There's also this from El Gato.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Will there still be newly-made 2000 series cards when the 3000's come out? Or will they entirely move manufacturing to the 3000 series only?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

redreader posted:

Will there still be newly-made 2000 series cards when the 3000's come out? Or will they entirely move manufacturing to the 3000 series only?

Generally no. They tend to stop production of the old gen somewhat before the new gen comes out, and from then on it's new gen only. They'll still be available for awhile, though, until stock runs out entirely--usually 6+ months.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

DrDork posted:

Generally no. They tend to stop production of the old gen somewhat before the new gen comes out, and from then on it's new gen only. They'll still be available for awhile, though, until stock runs out entirely--usually 6+ months.

Unless there's a run on cards right as production is ramping down, for some reason . . . . *side-eyes BTC*

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Update on my ill-fated quest to purchase an RTX 2070 Super:

After the fiasco yesterday I put off doing anything until this evening - it was my birthday so was doing family stuff.

I check and of course my order with Best Buy is still in limbo. Out of curiosity I check to see if they have any other 2070S cards in stock, and they don't. Then I check NewEgg and a card I would have preferred to order in the first place is in stock AND at a lower price.

gently caress it, I went ahead and ordered it with next-day delivery - it should be here on Wednesday. Then I went to Best Buy's customer service forum and posted that I wanted that order cancelled ASAP.

Since I am running the ragged edge of my finances because of this I went and checked my bank account, and the authorization for Best Buy is gone. Like, without a trace. Now the NewEgg charge shows up. I should've checked before placing the NewEgg order but the drat cards go out of stock so fast I didn't want to wait. As far as I can tell my balance is right where it was before, which would make sense if the Best Buy charge went away. But the order is still showing live on the Best Buy site, and I worry it could show up again if they miraculously get the card I ordered in stock. Worst case I can manage it, but it will mean having to be extra careful financially until I get refunded after returning the stupid thing.

I've never had a problem with an order from Best Buy before, but holy poo poo this has been bad. I feel lucky my monitor order went so smoothly, because this GPU order has been a bumbling clusterfuck.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Thanks for the heads-up on Newegg Cap, I hate that I broke my fatwa against Newegg, but I finally got the drat 2060 supers I was looking for, and I can be done with these loving computers.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

I did quite a bit of shopping. I'm trying to spend less than 100, much less 250. The bargain basement part is worth trying at 15$. It'll probably be terrible, I'll find out tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

DrDork posted:

Didn't nVidia have a stockpile of old stuff this time around, so they stuck on a newer memory interface, and that's how we got the 1660 line?