Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Leon A S+ reaching NEST at 1:30. Not proud of that, I expected that going back to the RPD for the magnum/upgrade is greedy, I decided to be greedier and get the spare keys item pouch in the armory, but really, this was an enormous routing goof and a lack of experience(or a dislike for) with Leon's route. I took the first floor route to the parking lot halfway before realizing that didn't lead to the interrogation room(needed the box) and even forgot to go to the STARS office after getting the second spare key at the linen room. I still have an hour to clear NEST and I'm now well overloaded with weapons for G3 but drat that's 5-10 minutes of bumbling.

I'll take this outcome though since it was a clean one shot. Even juked a pair of G-Adults properly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

hey-heeeeey. Had some hilarity getting there. Lab was effortless, saved before G3, very wise, crashed on my first start of G3, died to G3 because I didn't over-prepare on knives and he showed me his jump and OHKO I've never seen before in his last phase, actually had a crystal clear Super Tyrant kill. In that it was a one shot with 3 full heals used but aggressively unloading into his chest with the shotgun to force faster timer worked well. The speed runner strat of hanging out near his left arm and dodging forward as he attacks is much harder than it looks. My hard earned experience with Hardcore S A/B taught me to preemptively grenade him if he stops for any reason, my final flash interrupting him mid charge animation. Very fun stuff, I've run the game like 10 times in a row now and enjoyed every trip.

So believe it or not I haven't cracked into Hunk, Tofu or Ghost Survivors much. Got a blind one shot of Runaway, died 3 times as Kendo. I guess I wanted to meticulous plan routes and run them sequentially before I started learning 4 new odd routes, the gauntlet games feel a lot different than the main routes. Clear Hunk +5, clear Kendo and Other Hunk, hunt down 10 more Raccoon Figures, clean out the Ghost Survivor records and that's a perfect 100% game. RE2Remake really is a gem.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Resistance is lol, no wonder no one plays it (at least on PC).

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

While I can sympathise with it not being super fun to be stunlocked by grenades, that Resistance player is very childish: he disconnected at the exit to prevent the survivors getting the full reward for escape. When challenged on this he replied to me:

"No, they don't deserve the points playing the way they did."

That's just being an rear end. Sometimes you'll play people with a lot of experience who are able to beat you: I've never disconnected from any loss because that's not fair on the people who beat you.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Seedge posted:

That's just being an rear end. Sometimes you'll play people with a lot of experience who are able to beat you: I've never disconnected from any loss because that's not fair on the people who beat you.

I am 100% not endorsing his lovely behavior and think it's trash; I am simply pointing out that the game's meta is 100% stunning the Mastermind which works incredibly well against all of them. The best bioweapon in the game is a chump against stuns. Really the only MM that has any chance in the current meta is Daniel, who has access to Rampart as well as being most effective with his cams shot out and even then an Arsenal Jan with a Sparkshot will absolutely wreck him unless he's running Wombies near 100% efficiency or the team screws up their positioning.

BTW I am not saying MMs can't beat Survivors (the win rates prove that) but I'm saying the absolute optimum MM plays and builds cannot beat the optimum Survivors at this point. The Survivors are only as good as their worst player, though, which is saving a lot of Masterminds.

sigher posted:

Resistance is lol, no wonder no one plays it (at least on PC).

It's really quite good in some ways and has a lot of potential, but right now it has a big problem with stuns.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 19, 2020

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

Wanderer posted:

...I'd wait to make that call until you've seen the second half.

Beat it. Not sure what you mean specifically aside from the massive difficulty spike in Earthgov. It remained extremely high quality and a lot of the most memorable moments were in the latter half. That final gauntlet with the regenerator wasn't what I'd call fair, but it was insanely tense and that has value. Not a "perfect" game, but I'd say it's up there with the best horror games.

Also, the comedic timing on this was great (Dead Space 2 endgame spoiler:) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SFf1DXo9VQ

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Here's a neat video about Dead Space. The main takeaway is that the game was very much a passion project and I think that shows in the final product, for sure.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Scissorfighter posted:

Beat it. Not sure what you mean specifically aside from the massive difficulty spike in Earthgov. It remained extremely high quality and a lot of the most memorable moments were in the latter half. That final gauntlet with the regenerator wasn't what I'd call fair, but it was insanely tense and that has value. Not a "perfect" game, but I'd say it's up there with the best horror games.

Also, the comedic timing on this was great (Dead Space 2 endgame spoiler:) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SFf1DXo9VQ

Earthgov is where the Pulse Rifle and Ripper really shine. You don’t have to be so accurate with the rifle because of its damage and huge amounts of ammo, which is great when you’re under pressure and on the move. As for the Ripper, when you’re getting swarmed in confined spaces just make sure you don’t get flanked and the disc blade does the rest.

Dead Space 3 was so close to greatness but EA just has to ruin it like everything else they touch.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Here's a neat video about Dead Space. The main takeaway is that the game was very much a passion project and I think that shows in the final product, for sure.

That's a cool video. I was going to say Dead Space 1 feels like if every encounter was the dog windows from RE1, so him namedropping them as the scariest moment for him was telling. The vent system he talks about had the effect of making everything feel like a jumpscare. Unfortunately they have diminishing returns, so after about three or four, I was really missing just being able to see enemies before they jump right on top of me. Enemies in DS2 being in the room and having to run to you made everything much scarier for me. It's definitely a game where you can tell they were trying to innovate everywhere they could, though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, the thing about jumpscares is that by definition they only work when you aren't expecting them. Once you get so used to the game constantly doing them and never stopping, they just cease to scare because they're simply the new normal.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The only thing I remember about Dead Space 1 is the set piece with the regenerating enemy. I actually really liked that part.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, the thing about jumpscares is that by definition they only work when you aren't expecting them. Once you get so used to the game constantly doing them and never stopping, they just cease to scare because they're simply the new normal.
Or in the case of the remake, when you expect them and they fail to show up.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Or in the case of the remake, when you expect them and they fail to show up.

At the end of Dead Space 2 there's a great joke similar to that where they use all the same shots as the end of the first game and Isaac looks over nervously expecting the same jumpscare to happen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUElc4p6J9E&t=272s

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nobody remembers the Dead Space rail shooter game, designed primarily to explain the cut-off hand on the cover.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I remember it. It was one of the key reasons I went hard on PS Move when it was coming out and then I learned playing rail shooters by dragging a cursor across a heavily shaking screen makes me incredibly motion sick.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

Dead Space Extraction was dope. I'm honestly tempted to get a used PS Move just for that and the 2 Resident Evil rail shooters.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
One thing I really liked about RE3 was that when Nemesis was chasing you, it seemed like there was always an environmental way to drop him and get him off your tail.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

clip extremely related https://clips.twitch.tv/GiftedDignifiedTriangleDoggo

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Pretty much. The Mine ruins Molded really fast if they weren't there for you already.

Got through the Mr X room and past everything but the G Adult on Forgotten Soldier without any ammo left, died there to chain grab even when he was nice enough to just poison me. Also had a zombie do a quick 180 to grab me as Hunk. Really tilting stuff, but I can see how to finish Soldier on my next try. Got Kendo done, 10 raccoons. Only thing keeping me going is gun shop jams.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Call of duty has this new in game event involving phones you have to pick up and decipher the Russian messages. Running along tonight and a phone rang and I just about poo poo my pants

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Anyone else think that Lucas would be a great fit for the next Mastermind in REsistance? Throw in Jack or Marguerite as his BOW of choice. Just something that occurred to me while I was watching a speedrun of RE7. Would love more Lucas as he was great.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009

That would be great, yeah. Add a new map of the Baker House, too, with Ethan as the new Survivor who has to play in first person.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present: the worst lag I've ever had, in any multiplayer game, of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfqnCFDWI5Y

Rest assured when you see me stare at a door I'm pressing buttons.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Cleared Forgotten Soldier within 5 attempts total, including limping to the exit in Danger status after gunning everything but the full armor guys down. Very proud of dodging Mr X in that super tight kiting test chamber.

FINALLY got both routes of No Time to Mourn tonight. loving elated because I never have to use the God forsaken G-Adults route again. Once you know the perfect solution to them they're the easy part, even if "3 G Adults in a row" sounds like a death sentence or ammo black hole. But the loving janky ivys? 4 runs lost tonight to grab and die. Learning that the Ivy in the control room spawns on the right side of the room even if he usually ends up on the left. Learning that Ivy ignores flash in the last hall. Getting bitten in the last hall and rising in danger, poison, way clear but just one Ivy bulb between me and freedom and COUGH COUGH gently caress YOU PLAYER. It'd almost be tolerable if that one control room door wasn't so god drat horrible. My successful run? I used my hard saved Flash meant for the sweet release at the end just to get by that room cleanly!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Christ. After that learning Hunk and No Way Out will be almost relaxing. The S+ runs were soothing compared to nailing these gauntlets when they're janky.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I'm playing Resident Evil Revelations, and, uh, wow. It's a little rough, especially considering how loving solid Revelations 2 is. I'm glad I only played $7 for it.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I mean given it’s origins as a 3DS title it’s pretty drat solid. But I agree 2 is the superior experience.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I forgot it was originally a 3DS title. Like, I don't think it's awful, but mostly just average. I'm not upset I bought it, and I'm not going to regret playing it, but I think it's because there's a lot of other really good stuff it has to stand against.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I enjoyed Revelations 1 far more than 2. But I most definitely think the raid mode in 2 is far superior to 2's

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

I enjoyed Revelations 1 far more than 2. But I most definitely think the raid mode in 2 is far superior to 2's

Raid mode in 1 is better than 2, you mean? Or 2 better than 1?

I really liked Revelaitons on the 3DS and it still holds up fine as a spooky survival horror. Mr Mayday is still a sequence I fondly remember as being terrifying on a pair of tiny screens in my hands, and then the new enemy they added to the ports made me recoil when I saw what they do to poor Jill.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Seedge posted:

Raid mode in 1 is better than 2, you mean? Or 2 better than 1?

I really liked Revelaitons on the 3DS and it still holds up fine as a spooky survival horror. Mr Mayday is still a sequence I fondly remember as being terrifying on a pair of tiny screens in my hands, and then the new enemy they added to the ports made me recoil when I saw what they do to poor Jill.

My guess is he meant 2 is better than 1.

I remember trying out Raid Mode in 1, and having to burn most of my earnings from a stage just restocking my ammo. At least RM in 2 made restocking cost a pittance so buying mods and weapons isn't a slog.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I meant 1 is better than 2. My bad. 2's raid mode is too repetitive and formulaic. It's basically an arena shooter instead of an actual linear progression through a level.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

The mayday enemy creeped me out when I first heard his message. I thought it was someone genuinely calling for help. And Rachel creeped me out, too, until I saw her; the dialog is spooky, though.

Is it just me, or does Jill sound a bit like Samus from Other M? It seems like there's just no emotion in her lines.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Doomykins posted:

Cleared Forgotten Soldier within 5 attempts total, including limping to the exit in Danger status after gunning everything but the full armor guys down. Very proud of dodging Mr X in that super tight kiting test chamber.

FINALLY got both routes of No Time to Mourn tonight. loving elated because I never have to use the God forsaken G-Adults route again. Once you know the perfect solution to them they're the easy part, even if "3 G Adults in a row" sounds like a death sentence or ammo black hole. But the loving janky ivys? 4 runs lost tonight to grab and die. Learning that the Ivy in the control room spawns on the right side of the room even if he usually ends up on the left. Learning that Ivy ignores flash in the last hall. Getting bitten in the last hall and rising in danger, poison, way clear but just one Ivy bulb between me and freedom and COUGH COUGH gently caress YOU PLAYER. It'd almost be tolerable if that one control room door wasn't so god drat horrible. My successful run? I used my hard saved Flash meant for the sweet release at the end just to get by that room cleanly!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Christ. After that learning Hunk and No Way Out will be almost relaxing. The S+ runs were soothing compared to nailing these gauntlets when they're janky.

Personally, I think Hunk's game is tougher than the three Ghost Survivor scenarios you've done, and as for No Way Out, just lol. I'll probably beat the Tofu game before that one.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Got Hunk down in 4 tries, you've really got a generous amount of resources once you lock down when to spend grenades and such. That leaves No Way Out + 60 Bullets. Dunno about Tofus. Gave it a blind run, got to the library in the RPD, really getting tired of Run, Pray, Dodge speed running tactics.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Ya know I really thought I could get everything down by sheer daily effort but I just had a successful 60 Handgun run ruined because the flamethrower didn't register contact, deal damage or start fires at horde 40. I'm talking emptying 300 fuel into 4 zombies in a line and the kill counter not moving for ten seconds straight. Now I'm gonna just infinite handgun through the whole thing, get that last cheevo and uninstall. You were a good game RE2Remake until all the times you weren't.

When's the RE3Remake sale?

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

A little late to the Dead Space chat, but my favorite part from 1 was when I looked up a list of chapters to see how far I was into the game and saw they spell out NICOLE IS DEAD.

I keep meaning to play DS2. DS1 was a one-trick pony in a lot of ways, but I really enjoyed running through it with only the plasma cutter.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Seriously, did Dead Space 2 get a lot of work done after launch or something? I remember playing it a couple of days after its debut and the latter half of it was some of the most frustrating bullshit I've ever encountered in a survival horror game, not least of which was the weird Regenerator retread hallway. The rumor was that Sledgehammer had poached most of the DS2 team for Call of Duty, and I could've believed it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The only frustrating bit I remember from the end of DS2 was the stupid eye poke machine, just loving keep your eye still, gently caress

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

The only frustrating bit I remember from the end of DS2 was the stupid eye poke machine, just loving keep your eye still, gently caress

I think half my deaths came from that part. Why is this minigame in the game, and why is it so hard?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The funny thing is, it's actually really easy once you realize that the only thing you have to do is to release the activation button for like a second for every three seconds you have it pressed. It'll make Isaac's eye stop going crazy and while the needle moves back up, it never moves as far as it would have moved downwards in the same amount of time. Once you know that, you'll never fail at it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Wanderer posted:

Seriously, did Dead Space 2 get a lot of work done after launch or something? I remember playing it a couple of days after its debut and the latter half of it was some of the most frustrating bullshit I've ever encountered in a survival horror game, not least of which was the weird Regenerator retread hallway. The rumor was that Sledgehammer had poached most of the DS2 team for Call of Duty, and I could've believed it.

It’s the Earthgov difficulty spike that’s been talked about before in the thread. If you retool your arsenal (I opt for the Pulse Rifle and Ripper) it’s not hard to deal with. Unfortunately there’s no indication the spike is coming so most of us, including you it seems, got caught out in a bad way.