Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Chili posted:

I don't really care about alignment. I want to play with people who are here.

ha, should have previewed, but my point still is basically the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

TICK MOTHERFUCKING TOCK PANDER THIS IS YOUR LAST WARNING

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Hal Incandenza posted:

Yeah chili moving from spoonsy to pander before potentially leaving for the day is also not a look I like. Both of them have posted about the same amount of "serious" content and from that bit spoonsy looks a lot worse than pander if the whole case is lack of content.

Not leaving for the day, I'll just be in and out. And what else would you have me do, of that were the case?

And I didn't move from spoonsy did I? I thought I was still on you. My b if so. I'd be happy with either spoonsy or pander. Solid scum hunting can be for later.

I'm actually surprised by voodoo here the most. Not an alignment call really, but voodoo aren't you usually really big on removing lowposting players? I could be misremembering but I thought that was your mo.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Chili posted:

I'm actually surprised by voodoo here the most. Not an alignment call really, but voodoo aren't you usually really big on removing lowposting players? I could be misremembering but I thought that was your mo.

##vote Chili

I've been yelling at the lowest postcount player for 30 or so posts, and also voting Spoonsy for two bad posts and then nothing more, and you are wondering what I feel about low postcount players?

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Spoonsy (2): Voodoofly, Hal Incandenza, Voodoofly, wins32767, Voodoofly, Hal Incandenza, Hal Incandenza, Chili, Chili, Voodoofly
b-minus1 (2): Chili, Chili, Highwire, Spoonsy, Spoonsy, Spoonsy
Pander (2): CCKeane, CCKeane, Dhaes, Voodoofly, Voodoofly, Chili
Chili (2): Cidrick, Voodoofly, wins32767, Voodoofly, wins32767, Voodoofly
Jamuraan (1): dy.
wins32767 (1): Jamuraan
Highwire (1): Pander
dy. (1): CCKeane
Voodoofly (0): Cidrick, Cidrick
Cidrick (0): Dhaes, Dhaes
CCKeane (0): Highwire, wins32767, dy., wins32767, Dhaes, Dhaes, Highwire, dy.
Hal Incandenza (0): Chili, Hal Incandenza, Hal Incandenza, Chili

Not Voting (1): b-minus1

With 13 alive, it's 7 votes to execute. The current deadline is May 24th, 2020 at 1 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 2 hours, 39 minutes.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

PANDER POST POST POST POST POST POST

LIKE TEN I A ROW, RIGHT NOW, POST

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Voodoofly posted:

##vote Chili

I've been yelling at the lowest postcount player for 30 or so posts, and also voting Spoonsy for two bad posts and then nothing more, and you are wondering what I feel about low postcount players?

And yet here you are, voting me.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Voodoofly posted:

PANDER POST POST POST POST POST POST

LIKE TEN I A ROW, RIGHT NOW, POST

Kinda getting sick of this. You allude to big plans early, and now you're just spamming the thread with bullshit. You've also said next to nothing about me whatsoever except for jumping on other people's points and now you're voting for me instead of the person you've been yelling at, nonstop for the last day.

This is striking because I don't ever remember you being this much of a pain in the rear end.

What is going with you man? Like sure, you're trying to do something but it really just seems like fappery.

Dhaes
Dec 1, 2006

You realize, of course, that everything I say is horseshit.
It's really early come on merk I just woke up

I'm more comfortable with spoonsy than pander, mostly just a lurker vote. If the vig is town he'd be a great target

##vote Spoonsy

Voting on phone is a pain in the rear end

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Pander if you come back tell me if I should get the expansion for xcom 2 or if I would be ok just playing the vanilla version I got for free, thanks

Dhaes
Dec 1, 2006

b-minus1 posted:

Ngl I don’t understand this fixation on pander. Yeah he’s lurking but it’s a weekend and also day 1. It isn’t necessarily a scumtell imo.

The gently caress is this poo poo for real tho this is a daft as poo poo fake post. Voodoo isn't calling him scummy he is saying he needs to post. Is this a scum post defending a looking for a reason to defend someone they know is townie?

Dhaes
Dec 1, 2006

Cause that is exactly what it looks like

Dhaes
Dec 1, 2006

Phone sleep postingo woke up 15 minutes ago I hate this

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

tbf voodoo does appear to have a bit of a fixation though

Dhaes
Dec 1, 2006

Why is the deadline so early fuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Voodoofly posted:

TICK MOTHERFUCKING TOCK PANDER THIS IS YOUR LAST WARNING

I live on the west coast and just woke up. You remind me of my dog, sure he's going to die if I don't get up and feed him *right now*

I don't mean to be insulting, just I'm pretty sure that's the tone of voice everytime he trots between his food bowl and the bedroom.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

Dhaes posted:

The gently caress is this poo poo for real tho this is a daft as poo poo fake post. Voodoo isn't calling him scummy he is saying he needs to post. Is this a scum post defending a looking for a reason to defend someone they know is townie?

Uh, I didn’t call him scummy for doing it.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Didn't know there was a noon deadline, ugh.

I get what Voodoofly is doing, it is amusing and I am hoping he has the Voodoofly role, and that the Voodoofly role is what I'm thinking it is, ho ho ho.

Dhaes
Dec 1, 2006

b-minus1 posted:

Uh, I didn’t call him scummy for doing it.

No poo poo it may be early but I can read I'm calling you scumbo-columbo

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Pander posted:

I live on the west coast and just woke up. You remind me of my dog, sure he's going to die if I don't get up and feed him *right now*

I don't mean to be insulting, just I'm pretty sure that's the tone of voice everytime he trots between his food bowl and the bedroom.

You're not being insulting at all. Voodoo has been straight up harassing you.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Pander posted:

ten posts, right now, don't care what

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Voodoofly posted:

ten posts, right now, don't care what

at least one should answer my question

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Hal Incandenza posted:

at least one should answer my question

the 11th can answer your question.

the 10 should be RIGHT NOW TICK TOCK NOT MUCH TIME LETS GO PANDER HIT THAT POST BUTTON GOOD JOB YOU MADE A POST ETC ETC

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

PANDER I'LL HELP, JUST POST THIS TEN TIMES:

code:
[b]##vote Chili[/b]

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
gently caress this.

I don't care what the role is or whatever gambit this is supposed to be.

I'm voting on principle. Voodoo you should knock it off.

## vote voodoofly

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Pander posted:

Also:

1. I am also on the west coast and yes its loving early but welcome to having a kid and waking up at 6:30 even on a day where he is with Nana and you should be able to sleep in

2. I took the dog comment as a compliment. but maybe its you who needs to post RIGHT loving NOW, not me, in this scenario

Dhaes
Dec 1, 2006

Are you like a vig or something that targets bottom post count? Pander you should post I dunno what he's going on about but that seems like a merky thing to do

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Dhaes posted:

Are you like a vig or something that targets bottom post count? Pander you should post I dunno what he's going on about but that seems like a merky thing to do

We don't know voodoos alignment. I don't see any reason to give him what he wants right now.

Dhaes
Dec 1, 2006

Chili posted:

We don't know voodoos alignment. I don't see any reason to give him what he wants right now.

That's true but look at what he is asking vs who he is asking

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

wait is the deadline noon EST?

I was banking on PST.

Well poo poo.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Here's my case on dy. :

1.) Set up spec that's useless:

dy. posted:

I like game theorizing more than I like jokevoting, so in the spirit WIFOA: what roles do you think the scum would have drafted first?

Oracle and vig seem like slam dunks - oracle especially seems to have very limited town use. Hastener could be super-powerful if the scum can use it in conjunction with the previous two roles. Tracker/watcher and rolecop seem like the third-tier.

This doesn't provide anything to town, and dy. continues this a few times through the early day. I pressed him for where he was going for with this, and he posted:

dy. posted:

What? That was just an anecdote about how people are bad at mafia and you often can't treat townies as rational actors.

So I don't really see his angle of how this helps town root out scum - it feels like a lot of posts, and discussion points, but without anything that can tangibly help execute scum.

2. Twisting words:

In reference to town selecting the role of oracle, I posted this:

CCKeane posted:

I don't think there's a role that exclusively scum or exclusively town would want, except the role of vig, because anybody taking vig is third party.

And this:

CCKeane posted:

Yes, and town wants to keep this out of scum hands.

And dy. responded by posting this:

dy. posted:

I don't understand your argument. It seems like you're saying "Oracle is not a scum-sided role" but then also "townies would want to keep it out of scum hands." Can't really have it both ways, right?

I fell squarely in the middle of the draft order and with so many town-sided roles, I never considered taking any role to keep it from the scum.

This feels like a willful misinterpretation of how somebody would draft in a zero sum game like mafia.

3. Votes:

I made a joke vote here:

CCKeane posted:

You're calling town RATIONAL ACTORS and you're saying ACTORS because when you think "town" you think "PRETEND" because you're scum pretending to be town.

##vote dy. Scum slip of the century folks.

And dy. shortly after votes this way:

dy. posted:

I'll do a for-realsies vote because it seems like you are pushing a little hard.

##vote CCKeane

This feels like an immediate response to my post, but whatever. However, he still has a vote on me when he makes this post:

dy. posted:

Not sure how active I will be the rest of the day. I did a minor read-through and here's a brief rundown of my dumb thoughts:
  • There have been a number of players who have taken obvious joke-posts seriously. I'm not sure that there's a scum-tell in there.
  • wins seems to be pushing hard. His questioning of Dhaes for a very Dhaesy post specifically pings me a bit.
  • I get a weird "trying too hard to keep it light" vibe from CCKeane but I vaguely remember always finding him hard for me to pin down, so whatever.
  • Hal's vote on Spoonsy seems a bit "me too"-ish. I'm particularly suspicious because it's literally the only alignment call he's posted.
  • I would vote Pander for lurking
  • Still don't like Jamuraan's suggestion that thinking about the setup is scummy, it just seemed like a drive-by.
Also it's really nice to be playing with all of you guys after so long! Thanks wins, for prodding me into this.

So I guess I don't know if dy. feels I'm pushing too hard, or if I'm trying too hard to keep it light. I also feel like this post is pretty mild! It feels set up to allow for easy backing off. So I'm happy with my vote on dy., thank you, good night.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Pander posted:

wait is the deadline noon EST?

I was banking on PST.

Well poo poo.

post you fool post more more more and NOW NOW NOW

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

b-minus1 posted:

I’m already getting some scum pings from a few people
This is way too early to gambit like this.

wins32767 posted:

##vote Keane for not just posting jokes for the first 3 days.
I don't know when reading this post whether wins is joking or actually thinks this is suspect behavior for keane.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Pander just vote chili like 5 more times and then go back to normal stuff

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
I’ll ##vote spoonsy

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

CCKeane posted:

Here's my case on dy. :

1.) Set up spec that's useless:

This doesn't provide anything to town, and dy. continues this a few times through the early day. I pressed him for where he was going for with this, and he posted:

So I don't really see his angle of how this helps town root out scum - it feels like a lot of posts, and discussion points, but without anything that can tangibly help execute scum.

2. Twisting words:

In reference to town selecting the role of oracle, I posted this:

And this:

And dy. responded by posting this:

This feels like a willful misinterpretation of how somebody would draft in a zero sum game like mafia.

3. Votes:

I made a joke vote here:

And dy. shortly after votes this way:

This feels like an immediate response to my post, but whatever. However, he still has a vote on me when he makes this post:

So I guess I don't know if dy. feels I'm pushing too hard, or if I'm trying too hard to keep it light. I also feel like this post is pretty mild! It feels set up to allow for easy backing off. So I'm happy with my vote on dy., thank you, good night.

I actually liked dy's question posing as town. He makes reasonable efforts to bring in viewpoints and discuss context, and I think keane went overboard in asserting that maybe town want to take anti-town roles because ????

And his latest case, quoted above, it just a giant ball of fluff masquerading as an actual case. It's the "Look how big this post is, therefore I'm blameless when he flips cause at least I clearly put effort in", when there's really nothing there except "he voted me".

CCKeane posted:

Dhaes is mod confirmed town, wins.
callback to nostalgia, while I appreciate, doesn't feel like a from the heart keane joke.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING SACRED POST PANDER LIKE 5-6 MORE POSTS JUST POST CRAP THEN GO BACK AND PLAY THE GAME

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Pander posted:

I actually liked dy's question posing as town. He makes reasonable efforts to bring in viewpoints and discuss context, and I think keane went overboard in asserting that maybe town want to take anti-town roles because ????

And his latest case, quoted above, it just a giant ball of fluff masquerading as an actual case. It's the "Look how big this post is, therefore I'm blameless when he flips cause at least I clearly put effort in", when there's really nothing there except "he voted me".

callback to nostalgia, while I appreciate, doesn't feel like a from the heart keane joke.

It's a zero sum game. Stopping scum from getting a powerful role that would help them win helps town because it makes it more difficult for scum to win.

Let's say there is a role that, if awarded to scum, automatically wins the game. Regardless of alignment, Highwire is going to take it, because either he is scum and wins the game, or he is town and wants to stop scum from winning.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Chili posted:

I've noticed that making some bold alignment calls early generally allows me to appear townie. Regardless of my alignment it's generally helpful to do. Thanks for asking!
Irrespective of your alignment, that's some bad behavior imo chili. I kinda doubt you can make a firm town call on someone 5 posts in without reading way too much into something. It's not *as* bad if you're town since this is an open setup, we don't have to wonder if you've got masons, but it still messes up what I'm supposed to think about how you view other people. And it looks like a good way for scum chili to fake alignment calls and to screw with people analyzing his posting after he flips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

CCKeane posted:

It's a zero sum game. Stopping scum from getting a powerful role that would help them win helps town because it makes it more difficult for scum to win.

Let's say there is a role that, if awarded to scum, automatically wins the game. Regardless of alignment, Highwire is going to take it, because either he is scum and wins the game, or he is town and wants to stop scum from winning.
10 town, 3 scum, and a bunch of roles that can stop kills, find scums, and investigate actions/roles that all work toward finding scum.

And then there's the towny who thinks "Oh I have a spot early enough to take this role, that can be game-breaking for the scum in a very certain circumstance, but anti-town to pretty much ever use as town, I should take that instead of making sure cop/doc/watcher/bodyguard got taken or hell even keeping the vig out of scum hands."

Nah. It's not zero scum, it makes the town less powerful because a town with enough power roles (and good play) can avoid the MYLO/LYLO situation where the oracle is a 33-50-100% win button depending on the # of scum left.

And let's compromise and say it's a matter of opinion: it still doesn't change the aggressive response you had beyond what seemed merited.