Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

How do people like this make enough money to continually waste it on the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door

Arkage posted:

How do people like this make enough money to continually waste it on the game.

The world is a horribly unfair place, see: Chris Roberts

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Jesus christ that looks so bad. Nothing has any mass, so the massive ships weighing tens of thousands of tons jitter, pop and move like they were empty cereal boxes.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:reddit: showing my friend the star citizen experience

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

:reddit:: "Walks by SC reddit for monthly check in

looks around

shakes head

walks out"

:argh: [posts link to their old thread calling for the mods to "permaban known trolls and people known to be arguing in bad faith" - a thing that originally earned them a temp ban]: "This subreddit is toxic, and it's going to just get more and more toxic unless the moderators actively do something. I've given up this subreddit a long time ago."

(yet they keep coming back)

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

SaltEMike:
https://clips.twitch.tv/FlirtyUnusualBarracudaBibleThump
:( I've been streaming for 2 hours 12 minutes and the servers have been down the whole time

:reddit: Official "status page" shows no incidents reported, even when it's not true.

Star citizen shows red on down detector: https://downdetector.com/status/star-citizen/
And the most recent 50001 report has over 80 "can reproduce" in in 30 minutes: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...game/contribute
And yet, the official status page still shows "no incidents reported" today: https://status.robertsspaceindustries.com/
I get things take time, but when the servers go down, this stuff should be updated in real time. Otherwise, the official status page is officially useless.
Please automate the page or at least be responsive in real time. I've been having this problem for over an hour and the status page is still wrong. Please don't gaslight people with a useless status page.
Edit: I understand it's early morning in Austin. This game is sold around the world. A status page that only works during Austin business hours shouldn't exist.

:shepspends: This is due to the different time zone. They will eventually update the page when their offices open.

:colbert: A status page that works 8 hours out of the day isn't a status page.

:eng101: Correct. I'd expect a company running an online game to have 24/7 staff anyways. They should update this page by hand or it should update itself automatically by monitoring critical services and their availability.

:shepspends: What does it matter? Your just going to see it’s degraded or outage. Free fly week isn’t going to have proper functioning server performance. Any other time it won’t matter as much.. besides the status page is new like only a couple months old before that guess what we went on reddit or spectrum and echoed into the crowd.. servers down.. yup servers down.

:reddit: Breaking News

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:gonk: Star Citizen is the most profoundly disappointing, anticipated trial offer ever.

I fully recognize the down-votes I'm going to encourage but allow me to describe to you my experience thus far, which began two days ago.
1. Spent a few days watching one of my favorite Tarkov streamers get frustrated yet mildly entertained by Star Citizen. Decided to give it a go.
2. Downloaded launcher. Installed launcher. Began game download. Went to bed.
3. Woke. Found that it really only downloaded basic files and required a 40 gig update. Began update.
4. Launched game after update was done. Waited five minutes for the game to load.
5. I'm in! Get to character creation and get inexplicably stuck on gender selection.
6. Reboot game. Wait another five minutes for it to load. Now I get a network error. Servers are down.
7. Come to Reddit to look for updates. Find posts saying "check back tomorrow". LOL.
8. Tried a few hours later, servers still down. Planned to try again the next day.
9. Next day. Load game. Five minutes later I'm in.
10. Success! Character created. Models seem lifelike and the customization options were pleasantly surprising.
11. Choose to load into Universe. Wait 15 minutes. Seriously. Okay, probably about 12-13.
12. 16 GB DDR4 @ 4000 MHz hits 99% usage (with just three tabs in Chrome and Discord open). Game seizes up. End tasked.
13. Closed Chrome. Memory usage at \~20% with Discord open. Load game. Again, an eternity later.
14. Selected Universe. Loaded in about 5-10 minutes later. Memory jumps to 85% usage but hovers. Great!
15. Get out of the bed, leaving the suite(?) I spawned in. Frames go from \~40 to 15. Stutters everywhere. Essentially, seizure-inducing visuals.
16. Bumped graphics down to Low @ 1080p. Got a 5-10 frame boost that averaged anywhere from 25-45. Exited.

I've spent the better part of 3-4 hours, spanning a few days, just trying to get into the game and have encountered nothing but frustration and disappointment every step of the way. I entered this journey with quite low expectations given the Alpha stage but quickly found that this isn't an Alpha, it's a goddamn rough draft doodled in MS Paint.
In fairness, when I watch the handful of streams by people who possess the patience of a Tibetan monk, this game looks fantastic. The estranged offspring of No Man's Sky and Eve Online. But frankly, any game this complicated to partake of isn't worth the disk space. It's alarming that Star Citizen has crowdfunded likely close to half a billion dollars but offers an experience equivalent to running a scratched-up disc for your old Xbox 360 that randomly gets the 'ole Red Ring of Death.
For what it's worth, my system has an i7-8700K @ 4.6 GHz, RTX 2060 6GB, and the aforementioned system memory with an SSD (of course). Yet this very same system handles notoriously hoggish games like Metro Exodus without hiccup. Big yikes.
Fair travels to you all but this game is decidedly not for me. Not because it's Alpha, but because it's the most profoundly disappointing, anticipated trial offer ever.

EDIT: I posted this as a perspective for other interested new players and as feedback for CIG.**
EDIT 2: The positive, constructive responses are appreciated. I applaud those of you that lucked out or have greater faith/patience. Those of you that seek to harass anyone with a dissenting opinion of this game are a shining example of why this project has been so drat controversial for so long.

:ohdear: :tif:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I refuse to believe this isn't some form of advanced parody but lmaoooo

:reddit: posted:

I think nobody is ever claiming they are doing everything perfect and everything they do makes sense.

Yet claiming they are doing the wrong thing all the time is just as wrong. As with everything failing and making mistakes is a core part of the process and it’s not like we didn’t sign up knowing this game will not be done in our lifetimes.

emphasis mine

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Maybe he got a prognosis that he had around 8 years to live.

PhallicPhalanges
Jun 9, 2015

Her navel is all time musky... Bt look at her face... Her face makes my ROD wakes

Beet Wagon posted:

emphasis mine

Goalposts eternally moving

marumaru
May 20, 2013

The Titanic posted:

So how do I play with any goons or find them?

I'm on new Babbage doing whatever in the commons, enjoying how much detail they put into this level that is literally just like 3 stores with some options.

I'm sure this won't get old after a while when you just want to buy something.

you have to add them as friends and then join the same server.
i recommend doing that from the main menu, because good loving luck joining someone who's already in a server.

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Rabelais D posted:

The world is a horribly unfair place, see: Chris Roberts [and how much he's been paying himself over the last 8 years]

The problem is that nobody outside the CI!G inner-circle knows how much he's been paying himself, despite this being the most open development ever, with the promised full financial accounting overdue from 2016

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

quote:

Stop using Alpha as an excuse

Ok, so I only wanted to say one thing. This game has been in Alpha since god knows when... IT'S OKAY, it's okay to be in Alpha, to be developing BUT, to all citizens, all the devs that use "We are in alpha" as an excuse, please. The fact that you are a 5 year old boy that's pooping in the saloon every day, it comes clear that there is one problem and that is not the fact that you have a 5 year old boy that's pooping wherever he wants but the fact that we are permitting it and that we excuse a conduct that's inacceptable. Even No Man's Sky didn't excused themselves and delivered so STOP excusing this behavior. SUPPORT THE GAME, DON'T EXCUSE THE FAILURES, WE ALL WANT TO SEE THIS UNIVERSE HAPPENING AND EXCUSING YOURSELF BEHIND THAT WALL IS PREVENTING IT.

Star Citizen: A 5 year old boy that's pooping in the saloon every day

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Star Citizen: There was some mismanagement

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

emphasis mine

That reminded me of an old comic, but I had to fine-tune it a bit for the topic

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Did get a chuckle when I launched the game after many clusterfucks and the "lumberyard" logo in cursive was there in the corner. I bet there is some exec at Amazon thinking "dear god" as he face palms himself and takes another sip of scotch.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Store Citizer: this isn't an Alpha, it's a goddamn rough draft doodled in MS Paint.

Alternately

Store Citizer: A solution is already implemented: Prison

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

And they say we make stuff up!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Whatever happened to the single player game that was supposed to come out 4 years ago

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Paul Zuvella posted:

Whatever happened to the single player game that was supposed to come out 4 years ago

6 years ago.

And its still in development, not even beta yet. The true state of it nobody outside CIG really knows. They said they would move to internal beta this year. CIG say lots of things though, many of which never actually happen.

Answer the Call 2014

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Goddamn I can't get over how dull the Idris looks, it's such a generic rear end boring ship.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Paul Zuvella posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33ue0lzVnys

Currently supposedly entering closed beta in Q3. Pushed from Q2...

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
3.9.1 has added an alien mystery to keep them amused

Robot penis prevents me from leaving the cockpit on the Reliant Tana

So, the Idris is hollow and has some kind of weird 'artifact' that's the actual ship. Any ideas what it is?

quote:

I saw this same thing floating in my Carrack hangar last night, wished I would of gotten a screen shot I thought it was probably a common bug. Now I'm super curious. Looked like some sort of alien technology.

I can't leave my Reliant Tana since 3.9.1 gone live. Thanks to floating obstacles

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Pixelate posted:

So, the Idris is hollow and has some kind of weird 'artifact' that's the actual ship. Any ideas what it is?

It's the fidelity, obviously.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

That's really disturbing.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

That dude is bound to be a Sataball star.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

It is the Space Jockey.

Cripes.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

So, now you can play as Mr. Fantastic? Will they add the other Fantastic 4? Hey, maybe invisible woman is already in! Have CIG tried selling an invisible JPG yet?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Agony Aunt posted:

So, now you can play as Mr. Fantastic? Will they add the other Fantastic 4? Hey, maybe invisible woman is already in! Have CIG tried selling an invisible JPG yet?

Chris doesn't have experience selling invisible cars, so this will break new ground if he does

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

:reddit:: I've been harassed a few times as well, one got to the point where the Reddit admins got involved. I've been PMed by someone telling me to kill myself. I've been vilified as all kinds of pejoratives like white knight, cultist, sycophant, boomer, shill, etc. all because I disagreed with someone.

:sympathy:: Man...that's the poo poo that is the real problem here too. I am in the same boat. I have been harassed and brigaded endlessly. Villified in the same way as you all because I enjoy a game and refuse to criticise CIG over things they don't deserve criticism for. Hell...I have evidence of some users following me into other subs and harrassing me. One of them decided it was wise to mock me in a PM regarding my experience of [redacted].

Let's face it, we know that the majority of these people are from the /refunds sub and SomethingAweful. These people have no interest in anything but seeing the project fail. They troll, brigade and harass while the mods do nothing about it. It makes this sub look like it's toxic when it really isn't. Anybody who starts tagging users using RES would see what I mean. It's always the same people using the same tired and disproven arguments that are creating drama and stirring up FUD in this sub.

:reddit:: I know for a fact that one of the people who keeps harassing you is the one where the Reddit admins got involved.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Dementropy posted:

These people have no interest in anything but seeing the project fail.

We've been seeing this for some time now

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

*cue x-files music...*

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Agony Aunt posted:

Store Citizer: this isn't an Alpha, it's a goddamn rough draft doodled in MS Paint.

Alternately

Store Citizer: A solution is already implemented: Prison

Prison.
For whom?
Crobear?
Ortwinning?

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

peter gabriel posted:

I've always loved this one.
:smug: Is there another scenario that is exactly the same as my incredibly specific example? Well? Thought not, check and mate good sir

"Ambitious"
No other game has done this exact specific combination of elements, therefore you're wrong.
Doubly amusing since "specific combination" frequently includes "photo realistic graphics", "interact-able toilets" "AAA cast" .

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Dementropy posted:

:reddit:: I've been harassed a few times as well, one got to the point where the Reddit admins got involved. I've been PMed by someone telling me to kill myself. I've been vilified as all kinds of pejoratives like white knight, cultist, sycophant, boomer, shill, etc. all because I disagreed with someone.

:sympathy:: Man...that's the poo poo that is the real problem here too. I am in the same boat. I have been harassed and brigaded endlessly. Villified in the same way as you all because I enjoy a game and refuse to criticise CIG over things they don't deserve criticism for. Hell...I have evidence of some users following me into other subs and harrassing me. One of them decided it was wise to mock me in a PM regarding my experience of [redacted].

Let's face it, we know that the majority of these people are from the /refunds sub and SomethingAweful. These people have no interest in anything but seeing the project fail. They troll, brigade and harass while the mods do nothing about it. It makes this sub look like it's toxic when it really isn't. Anybody who starts tagging users using RES would see what I mean. It's always the same people using the same tired and disproven arguments that are creating drama and stirring up FUD in this sub.

:reddit:: I know for a fact that one of the people who keeps harassing you is the one where the Reddit admins got involved.

When our dark lords Derek Smart and Andrew Wilson order us to unleash the massive goon botnet and sock puppet swarm, who are we to disobey?

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Did get a chuckle when I launched the game after many clusterfucks and the "lumberyard" logo in cursive was there in the corner. I bet there is some exec at Amazon thinking "dear god" as he face palms himself and takes another sip of scotch.

I can assure you not a single exec at Amazon even knows they have a game engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

So does the chat display "& quot ;" because their chat can't display " ?

Because if so :laffo: