Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Exception to the "no rentals" part of the title: If you want to buy one of the extremely on-sale Corvette C7 Z06s that Hertz is dumping, I bless your choice to buy an ex-rental. Low mileage 95K Corvette for 60K.

It's not like anyone ever drove those anyways. They just leave them in front to trick you into thinking they won't stick you in a Versa again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Inner Light posted:

Are you mentally quoting Throatwarbler's post in the new car thread? :lol:

I definitely wish I had the lifestyle to nab one of those.

precisely

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
This is an idiotic question, I'm sorry. What's a model that's low maintenance (isn't known for dragging you to the shop regularly), is under $25-30k new, has Car Play, is reasonably sized so that you can park it in the city, and doesn't scream suburban dad? I was thinking either an Accord or a CX-3, maybe a Kona?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
25 to 30k would get you a CX-5 or CR-V if you wanted. CX-3 or CX-30 is a solid choice too. We hated the Honda CVT and infotainment system, and bought a CX-5. The HR-V was dangerously slow. RAV-4 I think added Android auto, so that's worth a look. Never drove a Kona, so can't comment.

No Nissan, Chrysler, or domestics, but these days, even those aren't THAT bad.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

DreadCthulhu posted:

This is an idiotic question, I'm sorry. What's a model that's low maintenance (isn't known for dragging you to the shop regularly), is under $25-30k new, has Car Play, is reasonably sized so that you can park it in the city, and doesn't scream suburban dad? I was thinking either an Accord or a CX-3, maybe a Kona?

I just bought a 2020 Kona Limited and I love it. Looks great, drives great, has all the active safety gizmos. I'm averaging about 31mpg with the turbo engine. MSRP was 28500 and I paid 22k after playing 4 dealerships off of each other. COVID has left Hyundai with a ton of extra inventory in America.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

DreadCthulhu posted:

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Thanks, all. I've actually been eyeballing the Kona for over a year now, maybe this is the sign from the universe. Seems to have most of the gizmos and the aesthetics are not too shabby.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
If you like the Kona but (like me) you think it looks a bit too weird due to the prominent plastic wheel wells, the Thunder Gray paint matches the plastic very well. I'm very happy I went with this option.

https://ibb.co/1zh9gr2
https://ibb.co/c8j4rBd
https://ibb.co/ScScTNn

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Why do crossover designers insist on lining the fenders with black (or gray) plastic cladding? (If the answer is "to keep it from getting scratched by brush when you go off-roading" just LOL.)

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Number_6 posted:

Why do crossover designers insist on lining the fenders with black (or gray) plastic cladding? (If the answer is "to keep it from getting scratched by brush when you go off-roading" just LOL.)

There's some arbitrary list of features that qualify a vehicle as a "light truck" for CAFE, I wouldn't be surprised if that was one of them.

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!
Proposed Budget: $25,000 to $55,000. Basically whatever, if it's worth it we're fine with spending more on purchase price.
New or Used: New
Body Style: (e.g. 2 door? 4 door? Compact/Midsize/Fullsize Sedan? Truck? SUV?) Preferred coupe or hatchback, though a sedan is acceptable. FWD or RWD doesn't matter, we'll run winter tires anyway. Philadelphia has occasional snow, mainly rainy winters.
How will you be using the car?:
Daily commuting: 5 minutes city streets, 5-10 minutes stop and go highway, 5 minutes highway free-flowing.
Road trips, Costco runs, camping. Two person household, family is 8-10 hours away and we make that trip about 4-5 times per year.
No towing, rarely more than 2 people, no off-roading beyond occasional well-maintained gravel/dirt.

What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style)

I'd like it to be fun-ish for the daily commute. I like low-end torque and manual transmissions. Tight handling is a plus, but highway comfort is also important, so nothing too stiffly sprung. We have a current-gen (2016) base-model golf, anything that handles as-good or better is fine. Our complete car-camping gear fits fine in the back of a Mustang/Veloster, which is our minimum cargo capacity requirement. We parallel park most days so shorter length is generally better. Android Auto required.

Current list is:
Honda Civic (Hatchback 1.5T/Manual or Type R): Don't know how comfy the Type R on the highway, reviews indicate it's smooth but noisy.
Veloster N: ditto to Type R probably? Cheaper and easier to park, less garish styling.
Elantra GT (1.6L/Manual): Same as the Civic Hatchback, basically.
Genesis G70 (2.0T/manual): Assuming it's really comfy, quiet and reasonably sporty. High insurance costs, basically the same as the Mustang for us at ~900 per 6mo.
Mustang (2.3T or 5.0L, Manual): Don't know how comfy it is on the highway, noisy.

Don't fit in the Camaro or Mazda3, Challenger felt too big. Corolla Hatch seems interesting, but no Turbo or Android Auto. The Golf has been a pain in the rear end to find basic parts for (wipers, air filters) and sometimes parts fall off while driving so no German cars ever again.

We're buying in the next 3 weeks. Anything else I should look into?

Edit: Also is there an easy way to compare insurance across different vehicles? The only way I've found is by creating an online quote in Progressive's site, then going back and modifying it for each car. They're the only site that seems to allow this.

MarsellusWallace fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 24, 2020

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Those are all good cars. I'd rather have the 3.3T in the Genesis with the auto than the 2.0 with the manual. You can also look at the Stinger for the liftback option since you prefer a hatch.

I feel like the Type R might be a little ridiculous for a commuter car on the highway, but I've never driven one. I know I hate long road trips in my Focus RS. Maybe a GTI or Golf R?

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

MarsellusWallace posted:

[
I'd like it to be fun-ish for the daily commute. I like low-end torque and manual transmissions. Tight handling is a plus, but highway comfort is also important, so nothing too stiffly sprung. We have a current-gen (2016) base-model golf, anything that handles as-good or better is fine. Our complete car-camping gear fits fine in the back of a Mustang/Veloster, which is our minimum cargo capacity requirement. We parallel park most days so shorter length is generally better. Android Auto required.

Current list is:

Mustang (2.3T or 5.0L, Manual): Don't know how comfy it is on the highway, noisy.

I have an '18 Mustang GT, and it's very good on the highway. I don't find it noisy when cruising at a steady speed, but it makes some noise when you get on it. I only have the standard level suspension and tires, which provide a very comfy ride. If you get the performance pack it will probably be firmer and louder to some degree. Sometimes I regret not getting the performance pack but I don't really push it that hard, and the PP option keeps going up in price.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Seems ridiculous to cross shop a Civic Hatchback and a Type R. They're completely different driving experiences. It seems like you want to a sporty car that you can also take camping. How often are you going camping? Can you just rent a larger vehicle whenever you go camping and buy a sporty car?

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!
Drove the civic Sport hatchback, G70, Veloster N and Mustang GT non-pp. Leaning towards the Mustang, it's not that much less comfortable than the G70 and it's a hoot to drive. The civic felt very cheap (it is) and the veloster was too harsh even in its softest setting. In a surprise twist, the Honda dealer was shifty and aggressive while the Hyundai dealer was just fine.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The one thing I would warn is that the build quality on Mustangs is... not great. My friend has a convertible and the motor for the rear glass isn't strong enough to push it up all the way so he has to pull on the glass with his hand to get a good seal. I know this isn't a fluke because the rental I had 6 months ago had the exact same problem.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DreadCthulhu posted:

Thanks, all. I've actually been eyeballing the Kona for over a year now, maybe this is the sign from the universe. Seems to have most of the gizmos and the aesthetics are not too shabby.

if you think a compact SUV doesn't make you look like a suburban dad uhh what

MarsellusWallace posted:

The Golf has been a pain in the rear end to find basic parts for (wipers, air filters) and sometimes parts fall off while driving so no

while i certainly believe the latter, how on earth is the former true?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if you think a compact SUV doesn't make you look like a suburban dad uhh what

while i certainly believe the latter, how on earth is the former true?

Yeah. That comment was a :crossarms: moment. A Golf Alltrack, GTI or Golf R seems to be a great fit, but I guess not... Ya know, the Mustang/Elantra are widely known for their stellar build quality. But hey, I get the aversion to VW, although I had no issues with my MK4. Parts availability wasn't a problem, and unless you live in the middle of nowhere, it shouldn't be a problem now. My local Advance Auto even carries all the special German fluids, which used to be a mail-order thing. FEBI power steering fluid, German-spec coolant, that sort of stuff.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Right? Philadelphia area is big city territory and home to one of the biggest VW wholesale parts dealers in the US. The wipers are straight up Bosch Icons, you can also buy them from your local VW dealer for a slight premium if you can't find them at AutoZone.

I'm not gonna tell you to buy a VW or whatever, but claiming that you can't find parts for a Mark 7 indicates a problem with the parts finder, not the vehicle.

edit: you got a unicorn Mk. VI then, they were pretty poo poo. Great cars, terrible quality and reliability.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Proposed Budget: No more than 40K
New or Used: I'm good with used.
Body Style: Looking for a 2 or 4 door SUV, leaning towards a Jeep.
How will you be using the car?: Primarily for fun. My daily commute is 0 miles. I live across the street from work and the grocery store is two blocks away. Closest family lives about 300 miles away, and outside of this pandemic I visit them a few times a year.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability mostly. My back is all jacked up anymore, so getting into and out of my Mazda 3 isn't as easy as it used to be. I'd like something that sits higher. The prospect of being able to take the doors and top off are kinda fun too. I saw a turquoise Jeep the other day that spoke to me, so I'm looking at those as I type. I'm open to suggestions tho!

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
If you really really care about reliability, don’t buy a Jeep or any other Fiat-Chrysler product.

Since you kind of don’t need a car, feel free to get a fun car though. It’s not like you won’t be able to go to work or get groceries if your car breaks down.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If you want a modernish SUV with the ability to remove the doors and top, the list is just "Wrangler".

With that said you really need to be committed to the doors and top off as critical features. Compared to any remotely modern vehicle, in any metric other than "rock crawling" and "removable body parts", the Wrangler is rear end. The current JL less so, but still. Wind noise, road noise, poor handling, poor acceleration, poor fuel mileage.

I've never been in a stock Wrangler so I don't know how the step-in height is.

The fact that you have no commute is a good thing for a Wrangler, but I would strongly recommend taking a long test drive in one to make sure you can live with it on a 300 mile trip. I would not drive mine that far if the destination isn't a trail.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Retrowave Joe posted:

I saw a turquoise Jeep the other day that spoke to me

Well this is a throwback

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x-JVXkd8SQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt5ghXdq6Z0

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

silence_kit posted:

If you really really care about reliability, don’t buy a Jeep or any other Fiat-Chrysler product.

Since you kind of don’t need a car, feel free to get a fun car though. It’s not like you won’t be able to go to work or get groceries if your car breaks down.

Yeah, that's why I like my current car. I had a 2008 3 that went 200k without any major repairs needed, so when it came time to get a new car I go the same thing, just a 2016 model. I like the CX line, too, so those are an option.

IOwnCalculus posted:

If you want a modernish SUV with the ability to remove the doors and top, the list is just "Wrangler".

With that said you really need to be committed to the doors and top off as critical features. Compared to any remotely modern vehicle, in any metric other than "rock crawling" and "removable body parts", the Wrangler is rear end. The current JL less so, but still. Wind noise, road noise, poor handling, poor acceleration, poor fuel mileage.

I've never been in a stock Wrangler so I don't know how the step-in height is.

The fact that you have no commute is a good thing for a Wrangler, but I would strongly recommend taking a long test drive in one to make sure you can live with it on a 300 mile trip. I would not drive mine that far if the destination isn't a trail.

Thanks, that's all great info! The removable doors are not critical features. I'm still learning what all the different packages are about (Wrangler, Rubicon, Willy's, etc.). I'll definitely take a decent test drive with whatever I find

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Retrowave Joe posted:

Yeah, that's why I like my current car. I had a 2008 3 that went 200k without any major repairs needed, so when it came time to get a new car I go the same thing, just a 2016 model. I like the CX line, too, so those are an option.

Thanks, that's all great info! The removable doors are not critical features. I'm still learning what all the different packages are about (Wrangler, Rubicon, Willy's, etc.). I'll definitely take a decent test drive with whatever I find

All I know for sure of modern Wrangler packages is the Rubicon gets you a bunch of off-road friendly features. Stronger axles, differential lockers, different axle gearing, different transfer case gearing, sway bar disconnects, M/T tires, and I think some skidplates. Unless you're actually going to go rock crawling*, there's no benefit to it, and it's an expensive package.

If you really want a Wrangler, get a Wrangler - there's nothing else quite like them. I love mine. But with the priorities you have and how you say you're going to use it, the CX-5 (and its competition) are going to be vastly better choices.

*I keep saying rock crawling because if your definition of offroad is forest roads that may be rough but have little in the way of an actual obstacle where articulation is key, you'll be better off with something off-road oriented but with more modern underpinnings than a Wrangler. Colorado ZR2, Tacoma, Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, etc.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
a Grand Cherokee Limited on a 3 yr lease wouldn't be at the shop too many times, would it???? Keep in mind I am a 10 minute walk to a Jeep dealer/many others. :newlol:

I still love the moderate size of these things (but not the weight, meh).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If you want a toy car of a similar nature and can wait, the new Bronco will be out late 21 I think.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

I'm going to look at a 2015 Fiesta ST tomorrow with 164k on it. My brother wants it for his first car, and its manual. I'm a "car guy" you could say (I've owned and driven and helped rebuild various compact cars over the years, I own a rallycross car that currently I have the engine out of in my garage), so I'm fairly savvy and will do any maintenance work myself, with my brother who will be learning. I've done my research on the Fiesta platform but something throwing me for a loop is that the asking price is $6k and before even seeing it I talked him down to $5.3k (CAD). It comes safetied even. From my experience in the rally scene these are well built cars with few glaring flaws and reasonable maintenance. Before I go look, any ideas why it may be so cheap? He has carfax and a UVIP (Ontario requires these for used vehicle sales but most people don't go through the trouble of obtaining them) as well.

The other thing is they're sparse on autotrader/kijiji/fb marketplace so its hard to get a good price point on it. Are they just so undesirable that they depreciated fast?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you want a toy car of a similar nature and can wait, the new Bronco will be out late 21 I think.

It will undoubtedly be a better choice for 95% of Wrangler buyers.

It will sell well for a short time (months? a year? two?) and then fade away into obscurity, while the Wrangler soldiers on unchanged.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

I'm going to look at a 2015 Fiesta ST tomorrow with 164k on it.

*Canada clues*

The other thing is they're sparse on autotrader/kijiji/fb marketplace so its hard to get a good price point on it. Are they just so undesirable that they depreciated fast?
Just to clarify, because you mentioned Canada a few times, is that 164,000 kms?

That's just under 100k miles for us Yanks.

5,300 CAD is like 3,850 USD.

That is a super low price.

Do you run into rust problems with FiSTs in Canada? Maybe it was flood damaged and not reported?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

CannonFodder posted:

Just to clarify, because you mentioned Canada a few times, is that 164,000 kms?

That's just under 100k miles for us Yanks.

5,300 CAD is like 3,850 USD.

That is a super low price.

Do you run into rust problems with FiSTs in Canada? Maybe it was flood damaged and not reported?

Yeah canadian, and yeah that is very cheap for a 2015, even with that mileage. Afaik from what I've seen, rust is typical on these chassis, certainly not toyota truck or subaru subframe levels of rot. Dunno if its been undecorated and I'll certainly be getting down to have a look underneath, but the seller claims "no rust". Assuming it's an Ontario car it's highly unlikely to have been flood damaged but I'll watch for it.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
If you're in doubt, it's best to run the VIN number through a database, could be rebuilt title.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Definitely run the VIN and also check for correct VINs in all of the places they exist. At minimum make sure the door tag matches the window tag and they haven't been tampered with. There may be etchings in other places on the car (strut tower, panels), but seeing as the FiST is not real expensive I doubt it. FiST owner forums would know.

It sounds basically too good to be true. If he just dumped that car on a dealer as a trade, it would be worth a lot more in the US for sure.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Proposed Budget:
$20-30k ish

New or Used:
New preferably but i'm not picky

Body Style

CUV/wagon.

How will you be using the car?
Either as a second car for a grocery getter / runabout around town, or to (more likely) to replace our Crosstrek as a single car. Couple with no kids / dogs (yet) that work remote so no commute to speak of, but we like to get out on weekends to go hiking / biking / skiing.

Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?)
CarPlay, ACC, LKA, collision avoidance are a must. Roof rack for bikes / skis if we replace the subaru.

What aspects are most important to you?

Plug-in hybrid. We're moving from SF to Los Angeles and the house we're renting has an EV charger with the owner paying for electricity, so the appeal of having free gas for local trips is appealing.

We currently have a Subaru Crosstrek and are happy with it. Haven't driven the hybrid crosstrek yet or even compared the cargo space in it to the gas version.

luminalflux fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 27, 2020

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Well I went today. First thing I did was inspect the interior and exterior for weird rust and signs of flood damage and such. Walked around back and sure enough, the ST badge is on the back. Everything looked legit so I decided to fire up the car, but when I got in I noticed there was only 5 gears on the gear selector. "Huh," I said, "I thought the ST was only made with 6-speeds". The owner just shrugged and said he bought it from the last guy like that. Turned the key and was greeted by a very boring sounding exhaust, revved it up and heard no turbo note at all. Got out and popped the hood and sure enough, no turbo. I told the guy that I was pretty sure this wasn't an ST, to which he shrugged again, put the VIN in a VIN checker real quick and yeah, it's an SE.

Not sure if this guy put the ST badge on or the last owner did but he didn't seem to care. First time I've seen such lazy dishonesty though, so I guess I'm lucky in that regard? Asked me why I wasn't gonna test drive it lol.

:sigh: back on the hunt

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

luminalflux posted:

Proposed Budget:
$20-30k ish

New or Used:
New preferably but i'm not picky

Body Style

CUV/wagon.

How will you be using the car?
Either as a second car for a grocery getter / runabout around town, or to (more likely) to replace our Crosstrek as a single car. Couple with no kids / dogs (yet) that work remote so no commute to speak of, but we like to get out on weekends to go hiking / biking / skiing.

Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?)
CarPlay, ACC, LKA are a must. Roof rack for bikes / skis if we replace the subaru.

What aspects are most important to you?

Plug-in hybrid. We're moving from SF to Los Angeles and the house we're renting has an EV charger with the owner paying for electricity, so the appeal of having free gas for local trips is appealing.

We currently have a Subaru Crosstrek and are happy with it. Haven't driven the hybrid crosstrek yet or even compared the cargo space in it to the gas version.

Wait until the RAV4 Prime (plug-in hybrid) launches for model year 2021, sometime later this year no doubt. It'll probably start at ~30k, and go up to ~40k with options.

Crosstrek hybrid is junk for the price.

CRV isn't a plug-in hybrid pretty sure.

I wish there was a plug-in hybrid wagon that existed, but alas.

Your options are limited and might push the upper boundaries of your price range a little bit.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 27, 2020

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

We rented a KIA Niro once and didn't hate it, but also it wasn't really that exciting so I kinda ruled out the Niro plug-in. Haven't driven the Optima though in any configuration but I have a weird affinity to my dad's 6-speed diesel cee'd.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I can't advocate buying a used PHEV unless you get a phenomenal deal, and most of the deals are on pure EVs. Tech changes too quickly. i'm gonna go heavily contrarian and tell you that it's not worth it for you to get a PHEV. You don't commute. Errands are short and could be covered by electricity, but by the time you are driving up to Mammoth or hell even Big Bear you're burning gas. How many miles do you anticipate driving per year, and how many of those can be done through electricity? I can see a potential advantage in terms of carpool lane access. That's about it. I know that can be a very big deal in Greater LA but you could easily meet all of your requirements and stick ten grand in your pocket. Or you could keep the Crosstrek, as it sounds like replacement isn't pressing.

that being said here's the current list of PHEVs:
If you are willing to do sedan, Fusion, Sonata/Optima, Clarity, Prius Prime, Ioniq are all fine options. Otherwsie, that leaves the Crosstrek, Outlander, and the Niro.

The Crosstrek sucks, it's all of the vices of the regular crosstrek (lovely driving experience, chintzy interior, lack of cargo space) plus you pay another 10 grand for a not that useful PHEV system. I guess at least it gets rid of the CVT.
The Outlander also sucks. It's a not very good car. The only advantage was that it was available as a CUV PHEV before anything else.
The Niro is fine, it's slow, it's cheap feeling, and despite its vague pretensions is only available in FWD. If you put a gun to my head and told me I had to buy a PHEV SUV for about 35 grand I would buy it.

Your best bet is either as I suggest above to ditch the PHEV requirement, or wait for the RAV-4 Prime and stretch your budget a bit.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Yeah, the replacement isn't really pressing. I was considering taking advantage of Carvana's VC money and the low rates dealers were throwing out and trade in my current car for a new Outback before we decided to move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Could you pick up a very depreciated Nissan Leaf or Fiat 500e for like 5-6k