Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I’ll get an ad up in a few days once we’re near pre-reg. It worked well last year, so I’d love to do it again.

It’s a charity event, the more eyes the better, and sadly Retro doesn’t even get as many views as the Mobile Games forum. It has a better chance being noticed here than in Retro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Retro Games forum browsers are considerably more likely to be interested in the Fiesta because they are, by definition, interested in Retro Games. Don't be fooled by the greater Games forums simply having more eyeballs at any given moment. I'd be surprised if as many as one in twenty of the posters here would be interested in the Fiesta assuming they even notice it's going on at all. But literally everyone who so much as peeks inside Retro Games once a week would almost certainly be intrigued by the new thread and eager to participate once they understand what it's all about.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
It sounds like Retro Games could use this thread’s help.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

Just want to take a moment to express sheer shock at this thread being in Games, when there's a Retro Games forum now with low enough traffic that it's practically as good as being stickied there. How any of you were even able to notice this thread shuffling behind the several dozen high traffic threads it has to compete for attention with in Games is beyond me. I couldn't search for it either.

There was a link to it in the previous thread. That's how we regulars found it.

Every year, once it starts, the thread is stickied, making it easy for new people to find.

And with bookmarks, it doesn't matter how many or few threads move in a forum.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Some Guy TT posted:

Retro Games forum browsers are considerably more likely to be interested in the Fiesta because they are, by definition, interested in Retro Games. Don't be fooled by the greater Games forums simply having more eyeballs at any given moment. I'd be surprised if as many as one in twenty of the posters here would be interested in the Fiesta assuming they even notice it's going on at all. But literally everyone who so much as peeks inside Retro Games once a week would almost certainly be intrigued by the new thread and eager to participate once they understand what it's all about.

I would never have dreamed of looking in Retro Games for the Fiesta thread. Which is good, because I wouldn't have found it! It was right in here, where it always is.

Retro Games is practically dead, it's not going to bring traffic to 4JF; stop trying to make fetch happen, come on.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Lots of new people manage to pop up in these fiesta threads every year, so it doesn't seem like a problem. Don't fix it if it isn't broken

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Serene Dragon posted:

Lots of new people manage to pop up in these fiesta threads every year, so it doesn't seem like a problem. Don't fix it if it isn't broken

Pretty much my thought too

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Is there something resembling a general discussion thread in the retro sub? It wouldn't hurt to drop a link in there somewhere, if nothing else.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Serene Dragon posted:

This is how I function re: the thread. :v:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

taichara posted:

I would never have dreamed of looking in Retro Games for the Fiesta thread. Which is good, because I wouldn't have found it! It was right in here, where it always is.

Retro Games is practically dead, it's not going to bring traffic to 4JF; stop trying to make fetch happen, come on.

Retro Games has enough traffic I don't actually post there. I lurk at pretty much the exact right speed necessary to play the games being discussed in the threads I read, then I catch up on the newest old games people are reminiscing about.

I'm honestly enjoying it enough it's not like I really need the Fiesta in there. It's just, I enjoyed it last year, it's pretty much the exact same posting culture...and FFV is a retro game, so it seems really obvious to me. But if you'd honestly rather be a small fish in a giant pond than a big fish in a cozy one, that's on you. I've only done the Fiesta one year so it's not like I'm going to try and pull seniority or anything.

Cattail Prophet posted:

Is there something resembling a general discussion thread in the retro sub? It wouldn't hurt to drop a link in there somewhere, if nothing else.

I should note that if your whole premise of wanting to keep this thread for a thirty old year game in Games is that the Retro Games forum sucks and no one posts there...you're not exactly working off a pitch inclined to make people want to jump subforums to have a good time with you.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

There wasn't a retro games sub forum in 2013 when I started posting these threads, and given that I did not know it existed until you started asking about a move, that doesn't bode well for its discoverability.

Just because the game itself is old doesn't mean it should be siloed off - primarily it's a discussion thread about the event, not so much the game itself. More eyes on the thread theoretically means more charity bucks. RK has even told me that SA drives a bunch of traffic and donations.

I just don't see a compelling argument to change what's worked for nearly a decade, you dig?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I just thought of a dumb gimmick for this year: characters have to wear a mask at all times. I think that would be pretty powerful pool though.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Fister Roboto posted:

I just thought of a dumb gimmick for this year: characters have to wear a mask at all times. I think that would be pretty powerful pool though.

Going off the chibi art of the characters in their various jobs, that leaves you with:

Thief (Galuf only)
Blue Mage
Mystic Knight (All except Galuf)
Geomancer (All except Lenna)
Ninja (All except Galuf)
Dragoon (All except Galuf)
Samurai (Bartz and Faris only)
Chemist
Gladiator

Edit: went back and rechecked the art and Mystic Knight Bartz's face is actually properly covered.

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 24, 2020

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Fister Roboto posted:

Also, characters must alternate rows going down the line, f/r/f/r or vice versa. Social distancing!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Glancing at the sprites, and assuming scarves/robes partially covering the face count...

Bartz: Ninja, Samurai, Mystic Knight, Black Mage, Time Mage, Chemist (kinda?), Geomancer
Faris: Dragoon, Ninja, Samurai, Mystic Knight, White Mage (sorta...?), Black Mage, Time Mage, Chemist (kinda?), Geomancer
Galuf: Thief. That's it, and that's only because his hood wraps over his beard. Otherwise, he feels compelled to show that beard off.
Krile: Ninja, Berserker, Mystic Knight, Black Mage, Time Mage, Chemist (barely), Geomancer (barely)
Lenna: Dragoon, Ninja, Chemist

Also depends on if you count Blue Mage's eye mask as a mask for the purposes of this run.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

So we have confirmation that Chemist is the best, beyond all the other confirmation that Chemist is the best. :smaug:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Chemist can mix up hand sanitizer.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

There wasn't a retro games sub forum in 2013 when I started posting these threads, and given that I did not know it existed until you started asking about a move, that doesn't bode well for its discoverability.

Just because the game itself is old doesn't mean it should be siloed off - primarily it's a discussion thread about the event, not so much the game itself. More eyes on the thread theoretically means more charity bucks. RK has even told me that SA drives a bunch of traffic and donations.

I just don't see a compelling argument to change what's worked for nearly a decade, you dig?

It's funny you should mention visibility. Because you know what I saw when I finally did find the 2019 thread, that put me in a bit more of a snappy mood than I'd intended? Twenty-two new posts. Now, how could there be twenty-two new posts when I stopped checking in after the Fiesta ended?

As I'm sure you are aware, it's because RK held two events, one in December and one in March. I didn't know about these events and judging by the thread's traffic nobody else did either. That's because this subforum was covered, as usual, in a deluge of posts and threads by users with little interest in the Fiesta even assuming by sheer chance their eyeballs had managed to spasm for long enough to notice its existence.

Games has always been an imperfect environment for the Fiesta thread. It's a shotgun spread that does bring in new players, enough to be fairly successful, even if after six years we're still talking about a thread that caps out at sixty-two pages. But that's not because of the magic of Games. That's the magic of the Fiesta. That same magic that gets you all here every year. Because you're passionate about FFV's classic design, formatted in a style that's rarely seen this century. You are special and I am not saying this to flatter you. I am saying this to empathize that the Fiesta appeals to a certain kind of person.

That person is a Retro Games poster. A person utterly obsessed with ancient obscure games, and typically in the possession of more money than any kind of sense about an appropriate place to spend it. The kind of person who could get hyped by posts in a dead thread three months later because it's in a subforum that gets a lot less action- but what action it does get is centered around that very special itch, in a more convenient, intuitive location to boot. You dig?

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 24, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Is this really the hill you want to die on?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

It's funny you should mention visibility. Because you know what I saw when I finally did find the 2019 thread, that put me in a bit more of a snappy mood than I'd intended? Twenty-two new posts. Now, how could there be twenty-two new posts when I stopped checking in after the Fiesta ended?

As I'm sure you are aware, it's because RK held two events, one in December and one in March. I didn't know about these events and judging by the thread's traffic nobody else did either. That's because this subforum was covered, as usual, in a deluge of posts and threads by users with little interest in the Fiesta even assuming by sheer chance their eyeballs had managed to spasm for long enough to notice its existence.

Games has always been an imperfect environment for the Fiesta thread. It's a shotgun spread that does bring in new players, enough to be fairly successful, even if after six years we're still talking about a thread that caps out at sixty-two pages. But that's not because of the magic of Games. That's the magic of the Fiesta. That same magic that gets you all here every year. Because you're passionate about FFV's classic design, formatted in a style that's rarely seen this century. You are special and I am not saying this to flatter you. I am saying this to empathize that the Fiesta appeals to a certain kind of person.

That person is a Retro Games poster. A person utterly obsessed with ancient obscure games, and typically in the possession of more money than any kind of sense about an appropriate place to spend it. The kind of person who could get hyped by posts in a dead thread three months later because it's in a subforum that gets a lot less action- but what action it does get is centered around that very special itch, in a more convenient, intuitive location to boot. You dig?

You sound very obsessed with this whole thing and should just drop it instead.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

The thread gets less attention outside of fiesta season because the event is over and the niche side-events are just that - small, impromptu things that generally don't have a charity tie-in and are more for dicking around. There's no need for lots of eyes and as such the thread is generally de-stickied by that point.

You're more than welcome to make a fiesta thread in retro games! I cannot and will not stop you! That's the magic of an internet forum, people can post whatever the heck they want, within the auspices of the rules!

That said it's really rude to kramer into a thread, decide "this is the wrong place for this in spite of it being just fine for eight years, I will contact The Authorities", and then go on and on about how it would be for the best.

You don't need a license to post in this thread! I'm not going to be like "ackshually I see here that you have overstepped your quota of Dead Subforum posts, I am going to need you to leave" because that's antithetical to the whole loving point of the event jesus christ on toast

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Actually since there is a chance someone will post a link to a stream they're doing we should shunt the whole thing into the Streaming thread in LP.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

a whole bunch of stuff about obsession and forums visibility

You do know there are other ways to find out information about the Fiesta, right? The Discord, RK and Gilgabot's Twitter, etc etc etc? SA isn't the only place for this information, and Games is a more visible forum, and you're wrong on this and need to stop talking immediately before you dig this metaphorical hole all the way through to Sydney and pop out dazed and confused by the Opera House screaming about Berserker Risk being unfair because it wasn't posted about in the #FFVGoons IRC channel.

Polster14
Feb 9, 2020
An extremely Obsessed and shame based. . .

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Actually this thread belongs in BFC because it's all about jobs.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Actually we should petition QCS to turn the RSF into a FF Fiesta Themed board where we can fiesta in all FF games.

RSF: FF FIESTA FAMILY FUN > FF14 All WHM Trials: This Taint Shall Be Cleansed.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

You don't need a license to post in this thread! I'm not going to be like "ackshually I see here that you have overstepped your quota of Dead Subforum posts, I am going to need you to leave" because that's antithetical to the whole loving point of the event jesus christ on toast

I have no idea what you thought I said that this is somehow contradicting me.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Fister Roboto posted:

Actually this thread belongs in BFC because it's all about jobs.

No, it belongs in Heavy Petting, because there's a job involving adopting animals.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Actually we should petition QCS to turn the RSF into a FF Fiesta Themed board where we can fiesta in all FF games.

RSF: FF FIESTA FAMILY FUN > FF14 All WHM Trials: This Taint Shall Be Cleansed.

You jest but a FF Challenge Run RSF would be my second home.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Cspam where we root for the nihilist tree.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

I have no idea what you thought I said that this is somehow contradicting me.

Dude.

Just take the goddamn L on this one, trust me.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I'm not even arguing with anyone anymore. Those were seriously two of the most nonsensical sentences I've ever seen on these forums. I sincerely want to know what they were supposed to mean.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Some Guy TT posted:

I should note that if your whole premise of wanting to keep this thread for a thirty old year game in Games is that the Retro Games forum sucks and no one posts there...you're not exactly working off a pitch inclined to make people want to jump subforums to have a good time with you.

It took me a bit to parse why this was a response to me specifically, considering I was closer to agreeing with you than a lot of other people. Are you seriously suggesting that retro games posters, who for the sake of argument we're pretending don't already post in games too, would refuse to participate in the fiesta out of... spite, for some reason? For a perceived slight (noone itt has said retro games sucks, btw) that they wouldn't even be aware of without already having expressed interest by clicking on the link?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

Just want to take a moment to express sheer shock at this thread being in Games, when there's a Retro Games forum now with low enough traffic that it's practically as good as being stickied there. How any of you were even able to notice this thread shuffling behind the several dozen high traffic threads it has to compete for attention with in Games is beyond me. I couldn't search for it either.

Anyway I just put in a report to have the thread moved. I'm assuming most of you just have it favorited anyway and for anyone else it'll be a lot easier to check in on in Retro Games.

This thread is not being moved to Retro games. This is a yearly event thread that all of Games enjoys.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mega64 posted:

You jest but a FF Challenge Run RSF would be my second home.

I'm not loving joking Mega go make the QCS thread.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

I'm not even arguing with anyone anymore. Those were seriously two of the most nonsensical sentences I've ever seen on these forums. I sincerely want to know what they were supposed to mean.

:ssh: kyro was making fun of you for coming into a thread you have no creative input over and basically trying to dictate a move to a different subforum based off your weird, bad personal opinion of how the forums should operate

Like the entire reason you are being poo poo on here isn't for suggesting a different subforum, to be perfectly honest, it's for framing reporting the thread to the moderators with absolutely zero input from the thread you are unilaterally trying to displace as somehow being altruistic and helpful, and then becoming weirdly aggressive when you were rightfully called out for it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

VideoGames posted:

This thread is not being moved to Retro games. This is a yearly event thread that all of Games enjoys.

Cheers, Thrilling Futuristic 50s Kirby. :)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cattail Prophet posted:

It took me a bit to parse why this was a response to me specifically, considering I was closer to agreeing with you than a lot of other people. Are you seriously suggesting that retro games posters, who for the sake of argument we're pretending don't already post in games too, would refuse to participate in the fiesta out of... spite, for some reason? For a perceived slight (noone itt has said retro games sucks, btw) that they wouldn't even be aware of without already having expressed interest by clicking on the link?

Multiple posters have made mention of how nobody clicks on Retro Games. It's literally one of the key premises of the argument against moving the thread and it's pretty insulting. It's not as big as Games but it's not a dead subforum by any means.

Grinnblade posted:

:ssh: kyro was making fun of you for coming into a thread you have no creative input over and basically trying to dictate a move to a different subforum based off your weird, bad personal opinion of how the forums should operate

I got that kyro was making fun of me. What I didn't understand was the joke. Thread licenses? Post quotas? Being scared that someone's going to ask me to leave? Huh? Maybe I'm just not operating on a high enough level of intelligence to have any idea what that had to do with anything we were talking about.

VideoGames posted:

Thank you Video Games. I'll see myself out.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

Maybe I'm just not operating on a high enough level of intelligence to have any idea what that had to do with anything we were talking about.

You don't. Namaste.

Kyrosiris posted:

Cheers, Thrilling Futuristic 50s Kirby. :)

I misread this and now I just wanna see Jack Kirby's Kirby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Let's say I want to play the GBA version on my computer, and also have access to the save file on my phone, either through the Internet or just copying it through Wi-Fi, so I can play it when I'm at work. Is there a simple way to accomplish this? Do GBA and mobile emulators even share enough code to have transferable save files?