Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

What is your use case exactly? Remote render/processing is fairly common, but you're typically throwing a project/code at a VM and letting it do the heavy lifting. Remoting in should work fine as well, but you're going to run into delay and compression issues as you've mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I need Mac & Windows, and preferably Android/iOS, users to be able to connect to a GPU accelerated OS X instance for remote learning. VM's themselves are a bit out of the question, as our current Adobe CC Shared Device Licensing... license doesn't support virtualized clients; and I don't really have a server with the GPU acceleration to host them on anyway.

I know delay and compression will be issues; basically looking for best case scenario trip reports.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

If you just need them to see something I'd occam's razor that poo poo and just OBS it out to Youtube or whatever but I assume you actually want them to be able to interact with something on this machines which is "a whole thing" and I'm not sure there's an easy way to handle that. Have you reached out to your Adobe rep and see if they could bend things a bit considering ongoing world events?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Binary Badger posted:

For me, it's better than the CrApp Store because all I have to do to check for the latest version of an app is

brew cask upgrade somecoolapp

None of this poo poo where I have to track down the website, find the update link, download, mount, drag the app to the Applications folder, tell it yes I know I'm replacing an older version.

Wait, you don’t get updates through the App Store?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

most good apps are not in the app store

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Weedle posted:

most good apps are not in the app store

Sure, but I thought a whole thing about the App Store was that it handled updates for you reasonably well. (Xcode obviously an exception.) it’s weird to me that someone would install something from there and then go chasing feral DMGs for updates.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Don’t y’all just check periodically within an app?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah I sometimes don't get what Binary Badger is talking/complaining about. the Mac app store has auto updates in addition to like an updates tab?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

oh lol i missed that you're installing apps from the app store and then updating them from the web?? have you seriously been doing that all this time

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I'll give you one example of App Store being terrible at updates- I have the AppStore version of Movist and I have a Homebrew version of Movist Pro. Both bought and paid for.

Movist Pro often winds up requesting to update itself within hours of an update appearing on the website.

TWICE, check for updates did not work for the AppStore Movist using the updates command in the App Store. I wound up having to delete the version I had in /Applications, then go back to the AppStore, search my purchases, then redownload it from scratch to get the new version. I had to do the same for TamperMonkey and AmorphousDiskMark.

These days I'll only get the app from the AppStore if it's the only venue; otherwise it seems all the cool kid apps are available through Homebrew. Not every single app, I'll admit, but many of the better ones

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

Toast Museum posted:

Jamf Connect is formerly NoMAD, so you might find more discussion under that name, if that hasn't been part of your search.

Oh yeah, totally aware of NoMAD. we've been tinkering with it a bit but engineer excitement is not the same as widespread academic takeup.

Jamf Connect does seem to do the thing while NoMAD was a bandaid of trying to make OSX act like a enterprise system, without giving up to enterprise controls. We're at the point of not caring and trying to create a managed environment OSX and a big first step is making OSX play with AzureAD user accounts.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think 2i2s are Scarletts which are still on their ‘we officially support these!’ list. The saffires are listed in their ‘we have drivers for Catalina for these, but hey’ list.

I was about to pull the trigger on a presonus firebox but it came up as absolutely not supported. Luckily I found that.

Budget interfaces look so crummy, I’d rather take the $50 risk on something older with solid hardware and hope for driver support than ‘hey this $30 piece of Chinese amazon poo poo isn’t grounded and everything buzzes’.

idk why i didn’t think to link you to this earlier, but there’s an audio interface thread

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

DOOMocrat posted:

Is anyone in education/design using a remote solution for users that need graphics horsepower to access machines remotely? Given how compression & delay sensitive a lot of these applications are, it would be very helpful to hear if anyone has a solution their users like or at least tolerate. Getting the college to spring for ARD licenses is probably not going to happen, and I'm trying not to set up 90+ individual VNC connections, but things are trending that direction.

I saw something on this on maxon's / cinema4d youtube channel. There was a guy sharing how he was sharing machines and machine resources remotely and efficiently- sharing one machine for a couple of users and things like that. It's in the last month or so, and will have NAB 2020 in the title (sorry, I'm on mobile and I forget his name).

If it's just a couple of machines, you could always give Anydesk or TeamViewer a go. I've used Anydesk to remote into my home machine (had more cores) from work a few times when render time was heavy.
It really does depend on how good your connection is though.

the_lion fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 20, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Jazz Marimba posted:

idk why i didn’t think to link you to this earlier, but there’s an audio interface thread

Ah, thanks! I knew the home recording thread but this even more specific one will definitely come on useful if it gives me grief. I’m hoping years of dealing with their crummy software on older machines (my old interface had its model number recycled which of course didn’t help matters) has prepared me. At least this thing is way more basic than the 8 ins + ADAT 8 ins I used to have.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Grassy Knowles posted:

Accurate, and the rest of your statement is simply what follows as the result of that. It didn't start out so toxic, but a toxic maintainer will certainly bring more people willing to engage that toxicity.

I also agree it's the best package manager for MacOS, though I question whether my needs really even justify a package manager at this point.

There's a tweet by the current maintainer and original author of brew that's basically making GBS threads on Google interviews for him not passing them but the more I deal with homebrew the more I think they passed on him because he's a jerk

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I came out of nowhere with an update to a formula the other week and everyone was perfectly pleasant about it, so this is surprising!

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

the_lion posted:

I saw something on this on maxon's / cinema4d youtube channel. There was a guy sharing how he was sharing machines and machine resources remotely and efficiently- sharing one machine for a couple of users and things like that. It's in the last month or so, and will have NAB 2020 in the title (sorry, I'm on mobile and I forget his name).

If it's just a couple of machines, you could always give Anydesk or TeamViewer a go. I've used Anydesk to remote into my home machine (had more cores) from work a few times when render time was heavy.
It really does depend on how good your connection is though.

The University of North Texas seems to have spun up TightVNC for this and shared a few compression settings with me to hopefully keep image quality as high as possible. When I'm able to touch the machines (No ARD, woo) I think that's what I'm going to try.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Just in case anyone is listening, Apple issued a new update to the Command Line Tools for Xcode, version 11.5 I believe.

Required for Homebrew, available through Software Update.

Hmmm, no 10.15.5 yet..

Edit: 10.15.5 beta 5, though

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 20, 2020

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Hmm.. :thunk::thunk:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

What could it mean?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Binary Badger posted:

Just in case anyone is listening, Apple issued a new update to the Command Line Tools for Xcode, version 11.5 I believe.

Required for Homebrew, available through Software Update.

I went looking for this and didn't see it. Do I have to update to Catalina?

When doing looking for that update, I noticed I had an update through the App Store as well, and in trying to apply it, I'm getting this message:

In googling it, I'm seeing a lot of posts about it in the last 24 hours, so hoping it's just some server poo poo on Apples side that will clear up soon. Anyone else seeing it? People in those conversations are suggesting you need to update to Catalina to clear that as well, which isn't really ideal on my side.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Well whatever it was, it cleared up for me now, so thanks for listening

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I searched around for this and it seems like this is still an issue - is there anyway to either hide the Junk mail folder in the os x mail app, or at least turn off the new messages counter next to it? the filtering doesn't even seem to do anything (beyond whatever filtering gmail is doing) regardless of the options I select. I still get one spam message in there every day or two, and see the stupid "1" next to it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Interesting read about the 'slowdowns' in the latest Mac OS

https://sigpipe.macromates.com/2020/macos-catalina-slow-by-design/

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

DOOMocrat posted:

Is anyone in education/design using a remote solution for users that need graphics horsepower to access machines remotely? Given how compression & delay sensitive a lot of these applications are, it would be very helpful to hear if anyone has a solution their users like or at least tolerate. Getting the college to spring for ARD licenses is probably not going to happen, and I'm trying not to set up 90+ individual VNC connections, but things are trending that direction.

I'd very much like a link to this when you get a chance. A youtube search didn't turn up anything obvious.

Malcolm XML posted:

There's a tweet by the current maintainer and original author of brew that's basically making GBS threads on Google interviews for him not passing them but the more I deal with homebrew the more I think they passed on him because he's a jerk

Yall do realize that Max Howell isn't involved anymore right

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Is HandBrake still the free go-to app for DVD ripping?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah. Handbrake rules.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
What's the best way to download a DMG of Mac OSX Catalina?

I'm trying to use virtual box to set up a virtual machine with it but the instructions from Apple only tell you how to do it with a USB drive - and I don't have one that works with thunderbolt ports.

Edit: Hmm the guy who makes the Catalina patcher seems pretty legit - so I downloaded an ISO via that. Just need to make sure to untick apply patches.

Edit 2: I still can't get it to work. Has anybody recently set up virtual box with Catalina? I get to a shell which I can exit to a basic UEFI but no further in the installation process.

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 24, 2020

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Crunchy Black posted:

I'd very much like a link to this when you get a chance. A youtube search didn't turn up anything obvious.

Yall do realize that Max Howell isn't involved anymore right

Welp I thought it was Mike mcquaid. Oops. Well, nevertheless,,,

Tbh I respect Mcxl for having the guts to develop brew from scratch. Not easy and it’s better than most of the alternatives.

It’s the current maintainers i have a problem with since they aren’t particularly good at their jobs

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I think it's still kind of dumb that the only way to transfer a 'Live Picture' from an iPhone to a Mac is either by direct USB connection or using iCloud photos. If you try and send it over Bluetooth, only the still JPEG comes over, not the mp4 part.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Binary Badger posted:

I think it's still kind of dumb that the only way to transfer a 'Live Picture' from an iPhone to a Mac is either by direct USB connection or using iCloud photos. If you try and send it over Bluetooth, only the still JPEG comes over, not the mp4 part.

I haven't tried it, but does AirDrop work? I AirDrop all my normal photos to my MacBook that way and it sends them in HEIC.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

It works, but Live Pictures come over as JPEG/HEICs as I stated before.

They only go into Photos as Live Photos via direct import over USB. iMazing moves them, but splits them into the component JPEG / MP4 files.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I find 99% of the photos I get sent over iMessage that are Live Photos weren’t done on purpose.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

EL BROMANCE posted:

I find 99% of the photos I get sent over iMessage that are Live Photos weren’t done on purpose.
Queue article about the lady who sent a photo of her engagement ring to her family and friends and didn't realize it also contained her fiancee walking into frame with his penis out.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

At least they all know why she’s marrying that stupid rear end in a top hat now

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

If I select the Live Photo in Messages on the Mac and ctrl-click Add to Photos Library only then does it import there as a full Live Picture.

If I select the Live Photo in Messages on the Mac and drag it to the Finder desktop, it's seemingly converted on the fly to a plain JPEG.

This is under Mojave, will try on Catalina when I get a chance.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So, how do I get older MacOS installers to use in VMWare on Catalina? Attempting to navigate to them in the App Store in Catalina just tells me they're unavailable, the installers on my USB sticks appear to have expired certificates, and they don't seem to have a legacy downloads section on apple.com anymore.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Sierra installer: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208202

High Sierra installer: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-high-sierra/id1246284741?ls=1&mt=12

Mojave installer: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-mojave/id1398502828?ls=1&mt=12

You need a machine with macOS and the AppStore already installed to use these links.

If an installer says it's corrupt or expired, go to Terminal in the Recovery partition, and use the shell to enter a date or time in the past, preferably sometime after that particular macOS's release, but before the cert expires..

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208052

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Binary Badger posted:

Sierra installer: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208202

High Sierra installer: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-high-sierra/id1246284741?ls=1&mt=12

Mojave installer: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-mojave/id1398502828?ls=1&mt=12

You need a machine with macOS and the AppStore already installed to use these links.

I attempted this on a few machines running Catalina, and all I get is:

I borrowed a machine with Mojave, and was able to download the Mojave installer just fine, but not the High Sierra installer; it would give the same error. Is that expected? It seems stupid.