Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Liefeld didn't create Moon Knight! Don't freak me out like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I was curious about Platt and seems like he's still doing stuff. This cover was this year.

Looks like he's still got some McFarlane influence but is a lot better.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Codependent Poster posted:

I was curious about Platt and seems like he's still doing stuff. This cover was this year.

Looks like he's still got some McFarlane influence but is a lot better.

That's purty.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
That one guy has enough pouches to make Cable blush.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

these are the most liefeld things not actually done by liefeld I've ever seen :kimchi:
even the feet are appropriately hidden

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

sticksy posted:

This panel kind of reminds me of the style of Stephen Platt aka S.PLATT who blew up overnight in the early 90's doing Moon Knight, then a big move to Prophet at Image, only seemingly to disappear forever not long after by my recollection (I'm sure E&C knows much more and probably hung out with him last month or something) - wtf happened with him??
Never met him but as luck would have it I have his big Wizard Magazine cover interview handy, and his 'origin story' is kind of funny/weird.

He was in college in Canada working on a commercial art/graphic design degree but he was a fan of comics as a kid and read Heavy Metal sometimes. As it was the early 1990s and comics were 'hot' he whipped up a portfolio of sample pages and went down to New York to pitch himself to the companies, and was roundly rejected.

He ran into Terry Kavanagh(? a 'Marvel editor' who was wearing a Marvel Comics jacket) at an ATM and I guess impressed him enough with the inside-the-bank pitch that he got hired to draw some Marvel Comics Presents try-out stories, but then got bumped up to be the artist for the last few issues of Moon Knight, which is where his "more lines = better than" style immediately wowed Wizard staffers and presumably some fans as well.

More than Liefeld, I'd say his early stuff was heavily indebted to Todd McFarlane and kind of sideways Richard Corben/Heavy Metal brawny dudes, and Wizard definitely hailed him as the second coming of Todd for obvious reasons

He was going to be the artist for the then-launching Cable series at Marvel, but Liefeld poached him over to Image:

quote:

I called up Bob Harras and told him that I wasn't going to work on Cable after all... I've always wanted to do a mutant book with Marvel, but I just had to decide which I thought would be the better career choice for me, and Prophet appeared to be the obvious choice. I chose to go to Image because it is a creator-oriented publisher, I own everything I create. At Marvel, I would not.

So then Platt drew Prophet, if in Extreme Studios' trademark sporadic way:

Prophet #5 (April 1994)
Prophet #6 (May 1994)
Prophet #7 (October 1994)
Prophet #8 (December 1994)
Prophet #9 (January 1995, mostly drawn by Pat Lee)
Prophet #10 (March 1995)
Prophet v2 #1 (August 1995)
Prophet v2 #2 (October 1995)
Prophet v2 #3 (January 1996)
Prophet v2 #4 (March 1996)
(fill in art)
Prophet v2 #7 (June 1996, almost entirely drawn by Manny Clark)
X-Force/Youngblood (August 1996, one of seven credited artists for 40 pages, I would guess he did maybe six?)

So he drew part of twelve comics over the course of over two years, though he did do a lot of covers and pin-ups. That was pretty much the end of his relationship to Extreme Studios (Liefeld was in the middle of getting kicked out of Image and forming Maximum Press and then Awesome Comics at this time). Platt would go on to actually draw "some mutant books at Marvel"; half an issue apiece of Cable and Wolverine in 1998, and then the following year he managed a full 48 page Wolverine/Cable one-shot, though the book required seven inkers to get out vaguely on time.

From there, he co-wrote and drew Soul Saga for Image/Top Cow, a six issue mini-series that put out five issues in sixteen months and as of this moment, the sixth and final issue is about twenty years behind schedule.

Platt went off to work on production art after that, most significantly on the first Iron Man movie. About ten years ago he started (sporadically) doing variant covers for Marvel and DC, and for awhile was hinting at doing a new comic for Image. That may have been scotched because of bad blood with Liefeld, or maybe he just got distracted. From 2014:

Stephen Platt posted:

OK, after 200 request for Prophet commissions/sketch let me make this clear.

Never. Gonna. Happen.

I'm done with that character and that studio. Forever. Period.

Rob Liefeld posted:

Someday I will tell you the real reason why I hired Stephen Platt and the subsequent meltdown that occurred. But not today….

Also I have not spoken Mr. Deadline in 20 years. No Plans…

But ask him why he won't allow Image to print the final chapter of Soul Saga. Guy is a loon…

Look to each his own, like what you like, I'm not here to say what anyone should like. The part where he won't draw Prophet is weird and is his problem.

Also – he tried a career as a stand up comic…. Guess that didn't work out.

Another Extreme Studios member posted:

I remember Eric asking me to go in and find out just how far behind Platt was on an issue of an already late Prophet comic. I found him working very diligently…on a two page spread which was for the following issue and not the one which was needed. Like a week ago. He went into a whole 20 minute spiel about his art style, how art is a higher calling, and how he approaches his work like Moebius does.

I pointed out that Moebius was a long time professional who would have been working on the pages he needed to finish and how he wasted a slew of time telling me how he works without actually working as he did.

He never really talked to me much after that.

Rob Liefeld posted:

He tried to convince me that I needed to print an entire issue as a "tapestry"…. I said that was not possible, he told me I didn't understand what a tapestry was. ….the whole thing was absurd.

Larry Marder posted:

My strongest memory was going into Rob's office & the first Platt Prophet pages had come in. Various EXTREME people were marveling over the art. One spread was so layered & textured its details looked like a Jackson Pollack painting. Some of the pen work was 0000 rapid-o-graph that would never reproduce on the page after shrinking & coloring. What I remember saying was something like "Unless he adjusts his style this guy will never draw a monthly book."

As it turns out, maybe not having anyone experienced with most steps of creating comics in the original Image group (besides Marder and Valentino, I guess?) was a mistake.

Platt is still around, I don't know how he's making his money but he's pretty active on Instagram with new art.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wicked artist, bad comic professional.

His storytelling is not good but man I still love the stuff he pencils and inks himself.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'd love to read all of that but my eyes rolled so hard they detached my retinas when Rob Liefeld called someone else "Mr Deadline".

On the plus side my civil suit against SomethingAwful LLC will now mean I'm set for life.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Scaramouche posted:

I'd love to read all of that but my eyes rolled so hard they detached my retinas when Rob Liefeld called someone else "Mr Deadline".
This is actually kind of relevant to the whole Image (and greater Comic Book Speculator Bubble) Boom; Rob Liefeld was (and to a lesser extent, has been in modern WFH situations) actually pretty consistent; not a total workhorse like Bagley or JRJR or whomever, but prior to Image forming he could generally keep a monthly schedule, ditto his runs at DC in the past decade, I don't think any of his issues at Marvel or DC in the 21st Century stemmed from blowing deadlines.

When Liefeld (and really all of the Image creators except arguably Erik Larsen) fell apart was when they were the artist AND writer AND editor AND publisher AND everything else. If it was anyone other than Liefeld complaining about blown deadlines I'd have some sympathy, and even with Liefeld I have some small amount.

Now of course, maybe Rob shouldn't have spent the early days of Image trying to launch a dozen titles and cut movie deals and merchandise the hell out of characters before he bothered putting out three monthly issues of anything in a row, but "is trying to do a hundred things and only really knows how to do like two of them" looking at "you were hired to do exactly one thing" and getting frustrated at their failure to do that one thing is understandable. Liefeld made his own bed in that regard, but still. This is true of pretty much all of the Image creators and most of the other "New Universes" of the early 1990s, especially the ones that looked at the DIY Creator Owned Success Stories floating around (be they Jeff Smith or the Pinis or Dave Sim or whomever) and didn't realize that Doing That Yourself is a lot simpler (but still not simple!) when you're just trying to put out a comic, not create a New Marvel Multimedia Empire.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 24, 2020

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Edge & Christian posted:

Never met him but as luck would have it I have his big Wizard Magazine cover interview handy, and his 'origin story' is kind of funny/weird.

Awesome, thanks for the background - I figured that even if you hadn't had brunch with him a few weekends ago, you'd still have the scoop so good write-up as always :D.

(As an aside - I swear you need like a BSS "moderator at-large" (not a fat joke) or some sort of similar title to denote the depth of knowledge you have on this stuff - like an "Ask E&C Anything Comics-related" thread or if you host a podcast or something, would be pretty interesting and I'd definitely subscribe.)

Edge & Christian posted:

From there, he co-wrote and drew Soul Saga for Image/Top Cow, a six issue mini-series that put out five issues in sixteen months and as of this moment, the sixth and final issue is about twenty years behind schedule.

Edge & Christian posted:

This is actually kind of relevant to the whole Image (and greater Comic Book Speculator Bubble) Boom; Rob Liefeld was (and to a lesser extent, has been in modern WFH situations) actually pretty consistent; not a total workhorse like Bagley or JRJR or whomever, but prior to Image forming he could generally keep a monthly schedule, ditto his runs at DC in the past decade, I don't think any of his issues at Marvel or DC in the 21st Century stemmed from blowing deadlines.

When Liefeld (and really all of the Image creators except arguably Erik Larsen) fell apart was when they were the artist AND writer AND editor AND publisher AND everything else. If it was anyone other than Liefeld complaining about blown deadlines I'd have some sympathy, and even with Liefeld I have some small amount.

Dammit, this reminds me - sitting in a dusty pull box somewhere in a run-down comic book store in suburban Atlanta, is a copy of Deathmate: Red that 11-year old sticksy desperately wanted but never got :smith:

Maybe it was naive unsophisticated me who had predominantly read Marvel/Image so hadn't gotten too much exposure to the Valiant characters at the time and/or the weird AoA-like mashup of characters between universes but I really wanted to like that huge mess and still have fond memories despite the calamity of it all. I'd love an E&C effort post-mortem on that whole debacle sometime.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Comics, man. What a wonderful thing.

(From Doom Patrol: Weight of the Worlds #2. Words by Gerard Way and Jeremy Lambert. Pencils, inks, colors and lettering by James Harvey).

Vincent fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 26, 2020

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

that owns so hard :allears:

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

sticksy posted:

Also for content/context, wasn't sure if the Liefield Prohibition in this thread included characters he created. Behold some pure uncut 90's pouches/bullet casings/vascularity:

Preteen me sure loved SPLATT’s art.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

This is probably the only time I am ever gonna squint my eyes a little bit at anything by Mike Mignola but, uh

it's just one specific thing about this image

well two things

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They make much better connections with the croc clips on jumper leads.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

One is for frequency the other is for squelch, that’s standard radio design

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Personally, I think it makes a lot of sense.
In fact I find myself wondering why he hasn't been portrayed like this from day 1.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's like you all have never seen a pair of bolt-ons before.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

That's not Mignola. That's Simone D'Armini with a bit of the Mignola look.

His other stuff do bang though.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

good poo poo OP

and don't get me wrong I like the Frankenstein cover, just that one specific design choice is pretty distracting.
e: and I realize it might be just some weird gender baggage I have idk :shrug:

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

This page caught my eye because I don’t think I’ve ever seen anybody show Emma’s diamond form as prismatic, in the way that diamonds are. But of course she sparkles.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

A good way to stop her from looking like Iceman.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

This one is by Afu Chan.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

...drat, you right. That's D'Armini's character from The Spider King but the hi-octane colors and crazy lockdown of perspective/foreshortening is very standout from the other two. Good eye, I'll think harder next time.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Zombie Dachshund posted:

This page caught my eye because I don’t think I’ve ever seen anybody show Emma’s diamond form as prismatic, in the way that diamonds are. But of course she sparkles.

Reminds me of Terra for FF6, I dig.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Lobok posted:

A good way to stop her from looking like Iceman.

drat, I need to catch up, I guess. Bobby really got into fetishwear at some point, hmmm?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Beyond the Grave #10 (1983)
Pencils / inks: Steve Ditko

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

gently caress your thread title. I am posting Liefeld. As GOOD art.

https://twitter.com/vanshea/status/1266747207031586816?s=20

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

:hmmyes:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Endless Mike posted:

gently caress your thread title. I am posting Liefeld. As GOOD art.

https://twitter.com/vanshea/status/1266747207031586816?s=20

Still not drawing feet, I see.

:haw:

(I wonder why I would assume Liefeld couldn't draw realistic things well if he tried. Just because he's goofy in many, many ways doesn't mean he's unskilled.)

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

prefect posted:

Still not drawing feet, I see.

:haw:

(I wonder why I would assume Liefeld couldn't draw realistic things well if he tried. Just because he's goofy in many, many ways doesn't mean he's unskilled.)

He's famous for having a very tenuous grasp of human anatomy, I don't think it's a stretch to assume he isn't capable of drawing something realistically.

That said, that is a surprising piece of art due to both the quality and the gesture

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I'm sure it's been said before, in this thread, that while Liefeld was one of, if not the most, famous pouches-and-ammobelts artists, comic books wanted that and paid him and others to keep doing it. They had a cash cow they were going to keep milking. Experiment with new styles? But this one it what's selling!

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Somebody help me out:

what's the source for this?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Somebody help me out:

what's the source for this?

House of X #1. Here's the original.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos

Internet Wizard posted:

That said, that is a surprising piece of art due to both the quality and the gesture

I'm curious as to why the gesture is surprising? It seems like a lot of people really hate Liefeld in ways that go beyond "he's a bad artist" but I've never seen anything from the guy that indicates he's like a bad person really.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Jedit posted:

House of X #1. Here's the original.

Derp, should have realized that was an edit and Marvel prooooooobably wouldn’t feature an F-bomb.

Man, has it ever been a long week.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Derp, should have realized that was an edit and Marvel prooooooobably wouldn’t feature an F-bomb.

It's all right, if any characters were to state that, it would be the X-Men. And Spider-Man.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Excuse me, may I have a few moments of your time to bring you the goods news about the Marvel MAX line?

(Fury v3 #3, Garth Ennis of course, 2002)

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Codependent Poster posted:

It's all right, if any characters were to state that, it would be the X-Men. And Spider-Man.

Spider-Man would not say gently caress he wouldn't loving say that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm sure Peter has said bad words and felt very guilty about it.