Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Caidin posted:

How do they square all that with the zombies and triffids and the lovecraft monsters?
With every passing day I grow more convinced that if the current team could just write all that poo poo out, they would in a heartbeat. If they had their way it'd be hardcore milsim survival and all the portals, zombies, blobs, mutagen and cybernetics would be gone overnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Turns out I was partially wrong about friendship not being in the game :v:

quote:

Grocery bot...A popular product from Uncanny, this friendly android can carry your bag or push your Grocery Cart for you. You know it's friendly because its human face is constantly smiling at you......Examine to befriend.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

For anyone who doesn't know, kevin nerfed archery in the experimentals by reducing its damage to 20% of what it was, but increasing crit damage by 5x. You'd think it averages out to the same, but in order to crit at all you need to be doing more than some percentage of the target's hp. Otherwise instead of a crit you get a 'good hit' for slightly more than normal damage. Against regular zombies, anything at the level of a recurve bow or lower can never crit, regardless of your marksmanship/bow skill. Anything better will crit all the time, also regardless of skill. But don't even dream about critting tougher monsters.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Palcontent posted:

For anyone who doesn't know, kevin nerfed archery in the experimentals by reducing its damage to 20% of what it was, but increasing crit damage by 5x. You'd think it averages out to the same, but in order to crit at all you need to be doing more than some percentage of the target's hp. Otherwise instead of a crit you get a 'good hit' for slightly more than normal damage. Against regular zombies, anything at the level of a recurve bow or lower can never crit, regardless of your marksmanship/bow skill. Anything better will crit all the time, also regardless of skill. But don't even dream about critting tougher monsters.

I mean... I guess that means that your bow is effective at shafting chaff but not great for shooting big beefy boys which... seems ok?

I mean, its just more loving tuning on the endless war front that is making guns and ranged weapons generally as tedious and un fun as possible that has been going on literally forever but hey. Can't wait to see how they gently caress it up next.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Do the devs know it's pretty much inevitable that in so open a game you can end up grossly overpowered because you've carrying more firepower than an F-15 but can avoid going anywhere unusually dangerous and can thus mow through n zombies?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
One of the chicks spawned from rotten eggs is blocking me from going into a basement. :lol:

Morbid Fiesta
Dec 20, 2008

Tin Tim posted:

Turns out I was partially wrong about friendship not being in the game :v:

It's okay. I'm starting to rethink this whole friendship thing.

I brought the Bone Seer some real bones. My pile of sd cards full of dick picks failed to impress. She then carved her mark into my hand.

Somebodies getting a previously worn friendship bracelet. (I did wash it first) :ohdear:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Ms Adequate posted:

Do the devs know it's pretty much inevitable that in so open a game you can end up grossly overpowered because you've carrying more firepower than an F-15 but can avoid going anywhere unusually dangerous and can thus mow through n zombies?
yes and basically that state is generally considered an outlier. like basically after you get to that state you're beyond the scope of the game's current design and should be able to do whatever you want until you get bored from there being no challenge anymore.

truthfully even the most dangerous places in the game become pretty trivially nonthreatening after a certain point, the only things that can really threaten a truly end game character are things that are deploying seriously heavy caliber ammo or numerous explosions. so basically crap like chickenwalkers and zombie grenadiers, which are rare spawns even in the most threatening areas of the game.

i'd really prefer it if they'd work on some truly end game challenges that could provide endings to a character that didn't involve swallowing your own tongue, but unfortunately the dev team is currently a lot more interested in figuring out how to make the F-15 state harder to get to, which interests me a lot less.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Hordes, more spawns, and increased defense can stress even overpowered characters.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I was wondering whether it's worth it to put away my crowbar (for bashing damage) and instead wield my combat knife from my sheath to stab zombie soldiers to death. Cause I was playing it out in my head, and zombie soldiers are kitted out in pretty tough gear, it made me realise bashing them is kinda pointless. So would I kill them quicker and more reliably with a cutting / piercing weapon instead? Or is it all weird cause zombies don't technically bleed out or have a hard time shrugging off internal organ damage.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Combat knife is a pretty good weapon. Machete's even better if you can find one.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Zombie soldiers have 25 cut armor but only 15 bash so smacking is better than slicing by default. I'm not sure how piercing damage works but I think it reduces the cut armor and rolls damage against that modified number. In melee I take soldiers down with the quarterstaff I carry in my inventory for enemies with higher cut resistance

The Lone Badger posted:

Combat knife is a pretty good weapon. Machete's even better if you can find one.
Yeah the machete is pretty good, especially after you have some skill and get more crits. You can also make one without too much trouble after you're able to forge stuff. It also fits into a survivor tool belt as a backup for when a technician yoinks your weapon, so it stays relevant even when you can make something stronger like swords. The only issue is that its DPS drops hard against cut resistant enemies

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

A thing I'd really like is some sort of reason to build an actual house instead of the objectively correct strategy of making a Death RV. Farming isn't worth it when every house has several days or even weeks worth of food to the point where even a nighttime grocery store raid is barely worth the hassle. Even if you did farm you could technically just plant and then leave. The game's got such a high number of construction options that you would just never use.

I'd love some sort of horde summoning mechanic that worked like the special Base Defense mode. You cut up some zombies and you craft zombie pheremones which can summon a horde, and there are some loot-based zombies that you can only find this way or something.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Tin Tim posted:

Zombie soldiers have 25 cut armor but only 15 bash so smacking is better than slicing by default. I'm not sure how piercing damage works but I think it reduces the cut armor and rolls damage against that modified number. In melee I take soldiers down with the quarterstaff I carry in my inventory for enemies with higher cut resistance

How can you tell what an enemies armour is against certain types of damage? Is it something you can see ingame or wiki only.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Is there some historical reason for the launcher always getting picked up as a trojan or something, and are they seriously never going to fix it? I mean, it's only a launcher/downloader, plenty of people manage to make those without that issue.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Qubee posted:

How can you tell what an enemies armour is against certain types of damage? Is it something you can see ingame or wiki only.
Use this handy page. Aside from stats for everthing you can also see recipes and such. If you don't want to spoil yourself you have to go by trail and error

Also, tragedy.jpeg

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 23, 2020

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Cheers for that, I actually prefer using it as it means I get to enjoy the game more instead of avoiding everything from fear. I thought fat zombies were tough just cause they're fat, but it turns out they're not much more difficult than the things I've already killed.

Also, why am I seeing so many fresh dead corpses all over the place? Human remains, I'll just find a bunch all together. I'm not sure if they were recently alive and something killed them, or if it's just remnants from the cataclysm that I'm seeing.

Chobayt
Oct 9, 2012
Oh hey, something that is cool and good and the game doesn't really tell you is to go into the options and turn on the Autonotes feature. It automatically makes note of things you see on your map that aren't terrain/buildings. You can set it to filter out marking stuff like "Oh there's a bunch of bullet casings here" or "A patch of burned forest" but it's really handy for marking military supply drops/sites with dead military guys that you otherwise wouldn't notice.

Edit:^^^ The autonotes thing will usually tell you what those are, just groups of dead bodies are usually labeled as "college kids" or "drug deal" and can have to ok loot in terms of bags/guns/drugs and sometimes CBMs.

Chobayt fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 23, 2020

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Tin Tim posted:

Use this handy page. Aside from stats for everthing you can also see recipes and such. If you don't want to spoil yourself you have to go by trial and error

I might feel bad about spoilers, except that somebody asked the devs to maybe put, like, some tiny fragment of a hint about how diseases work in-game — you know, maybe if you’re an actual medical doctor with 8 first aid and a pile of medical textbooks you should get some info about what “your veins itch” indicates?

The response was “there’s no way a survivor could possibly know that without blood analysis (which doesn’t exist); also it’s immersive and realistic and scary to not know!” So reading the wiki is the only way you can possibly learn how bloodworms work, period.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I like the "we don't have a medical skill, it's first aid, so in the Cataclysm nobody can know anything about how the human body actually works" excuse

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Hey I haven't played CDDA in about two years, is the dev community still dead set on nerfing every fun or useful thing in the game until even the most exciting parts are a tedious slog?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Tin Tim posted:

Use this handy page. Aside from stats for everthing you can also see recipes and such. If you don't want to spoil yourself you have to go by trail and error

Also, tragedy.jpeg

How do you get other tiles like that?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Mr. Lobe posted:

How do you get other tiles like that?

That's undeadpeoples, get it here https://github.com/SomeDeadGuy/UndeadPeopleTileset as it's probably the most complete tileset.

Drop the file in the gfx folder.

Morbid Fiesta
Dec 20, 2008

Tin Tim posted:

Also, tragedy.jpeg

:negative: Can you give grocery bots commands?

Also I befriended a dog after eating dog food on the first attempt :barf:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
If you cross the feline threshold does cat food become tasty? :thunk:

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Caidin posted:

If you cross the feline threshold does cat food become tasty? :thunk:

I'm not saying it definitively does, but other lines have stuff like that. Like how the rat mutation line lets you eat rotten food with no penalties at all, and eventually lets you drink unboiled water.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Morbid Fiesta posted:

Can you give grocery bots commands?
I would assume so since their description says that you can befriend them. But that one got destroyed before I could save it so I haven't done it myself

I looted a few heavy weapons from military vehicles and got the links+ammo to make some belts so I got to thinking...can I instal a turret on a shopping cart and then fire it? The M2 for instance says it needs to be set up to fire and I would love the idea of my own MG cart

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
The readme for UndeadPeople says that it’s intended for experimental, does it still work with the latest Stable?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

I would assume so since their description says that you can befriend them. But that one got destroyed before I could save it so I haven't done it myself

I looted a few heavy weapons from military vehicles and got the links+ammo to make some belts so I got to thinking...can I instal a turret on a shopping cart and then fire it? The M2 for instance says it needs to be set up to fire and I would love the idea of my own MG cart

Yes. Install a weapon mount (steal from a military vehicle), then install the gun. You'll need to remove the basket so you can stand on top of it. Empty your hands and shoot.

nb WEAR EARPRO!

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 24, 2020

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Yes. Install a weapon mount (steal from a military vehicle), then install the gun. You'll need to remove the basket so you can stand on top of it. Empty your hands and shoot.

nb WEAR EARPRO!
:woop:

And I assume I can add a second frame with casters to still have a basket for spare belts? I guess weight becomes an issue for pushing the thing but at Str 12 I should have some room in that regard

Also yeah I figured that I'd go deaf instantly without protection lol

E: I've just discovered a golf cart...so my next idea is a solar powered MG buggy :black101:

Kevin DuBrow posted:

The readme for UndeadPeople says that it’s intended for experimental, does it still work with the latest Stable?
Yes. All the images I posted itt are from stable with the tileset

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 24, 2020

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
drat, stay away from the current experimental, I'm getting constant crashes whenever I pickup certain guns.
:negative:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

:woop:

And I assume I can add a second frame with casters to still have a basket for spare belts? I guess weight becomes an issue for pushing the thing but at Str 12 I should have some room in that regard

Also yeah I figured that I'd go deaf instantly without protection lol

If you pull apart a CROWS-II for parts you can even make it into a computer-controlled autogun that will mow down zombies without your intervention.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Yep, works fine!

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

If you pull apart a CROWS-II for parts you can even make it into a computer-controlled autogun that will mow down zombies without your intervention.
Haven't met a CROWS-II yet but I have several types of broken bots and some riot control turrest available for salvage which I assume basically hold the same parts.

Also I assume that the vehicle system isn't flexible enough to allow vehicles inside of other vehicles? If you make a gun cart for instance it would be cool to have a bigger "carrier" vehicle for it to drive it up to towns. But since vehicle frames collide on contact I would think that this doesn't work

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Tin Tim posted:

Haven't met a CROWS-II yet but I have several types of broken bots and some riot control turrest available for salvage which I assume basically hold the same parts.

Also I assume that the vehicle system isn't flexible enough to allow vehicles inside of other vehicles? If you make a gun cart for instance it would be cool to have a bigger "carrier" vehicle for it to drive it up to towns. But since vehicle frames collide on contact I would think that this doesn't work

Bike racks work on single-tile-side vehicles. Dunno if you can attach multiple ones though.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

AFashionableHat posted:

Bike racks work on single-tile-side vehicles. Dunno if you can attach multiple ones though.

How do you make a single tile vehicle? I assume there is a way besides stripping down an existing one to 1 tile

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Mr. Lobe posted:

How do you make a single tile vehicle? I assume there is a way besides stripping down an existing one to 1 tile

Extra light frame, saddle, wheelchair wheel, v12 engine

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

same except unicycle wheel

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Mr. Lobe posted:

Sorry that's supposed to be "single tile wide". Like you can attach a bicycle to the back of an RV with a bike rack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

same except unicycle wheel

Yeah but just strip out the motor and have the purity of design that is the unicycle