Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rochallor posted:

Who is Milo Parker? It looks like his only BF credit is this story and he's 18 years old. Is he another BF-only Master? I would guess he's far too young to be a sound-alike for Delgado.

According to this he's a new Master debuting in BF

quote:

Details about the story are so far scarce, but it will involve the Master's female regeneration "Missy" (Michelle Gomez) and the fan-nicknamed "Crispy Master" (Geoffrey Beevers), who appeared in the original 1963 TV series. Other incarnations include Eric Roberts' Master from the 1996 Doctor Who movie; the Derek Jacobi Master from Season 3 episode "Utopia" and numerous Big Finish audios and Alex MacQueen's Master, who mainly matched wits with the Eighth Doctor. Additionally, Mark Gatiss will play a Big Finish-exclusive Master played by Mark Gatiss that hails from a parallel universe where the Master was stranded on Earth and unopposed by the Doctor for decades, while Milo Parker will play a new version of the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

My guess is he's a slightly older version of the Master who looked in the schism that we saw in flashback in "The Sounds of Drum" (Hence the Time Lord robes). Sadly, the young actor who played the Master in that scene passed away a year or two ago.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh no, that's awful. That's who I figured it was too, but I didn't realize the actual actor was dead :smith:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I've got a tenner on Mark Gatiss actually being drafted in to replace the Dreyfus Master.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Where is Hissy!

This is ghost snake erasure

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rochallor posted:

Who is Milo Parker? It looks like his only BF credit is this story and he's 18 years old. Is he another BF-only Master? I would guess he's far too young to be a sound-alike for Delgado.

No one knows, though the thought is that he's playing the kid who looked into the Schism, back from The Last Of The Timelords.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Neat little piece about BF recording while in lockdown

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1264158737520119808?s=20

And at around 12:20, producer David Richardson mentions how the actors are complaining about the lack of lunches ...

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Open Source Idiom posted:

No one knows, though the thought is that he's playing the kid who looked into the Schism, back from The Last Of The Timelords.

That... sounds like Big Finish all right.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Davros1 posted:

And at around 12:20, producer David Richardson mentions how the actors are complaining about the lack of lunches ...

Can't say I blame them

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Burkion posted:

Where is Hissy!

This is ghost snake erasure

Gordon Tipple, sitting in the dark by the phone: "Any minute now... any minute now...."

Seriously though, I don't see why they don't get him. I doubt he's busy.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Burkion posted:

Where is Hissy!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/Markgatiss/status/1264258559983878144?s=20
https://twitter.com/Markgatiss/status/1264263184673898498?s=20

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 23, 2020

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Nice to see Mark Gatiss say not-cursed things for once! An Adventure in Space and Time is such a fun watch too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The bit where he looks up and sees Matt Smith :shobon:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26UFq8RGVOs

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Jon Pertwee face :vince:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The Fourteen Doctors :allears:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The Doctors on social media would be a terrifying aspect from their profile pictures alone, let alone when they all stop by to comment on something

Ten: "Good lord was that what I considered funny back then?"
Three: "Oh look at you, wearing a younger face in an older body!"
Eleven: "I'm...not with them, I swear..."
Twelve: *string of emojis*

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I was a big fan of the young John Hurt with the toilet paper in the background. And also how he just got poo poo done when almost everybody else was arguing, lol.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Vinylshadow posted:

The Doctors on social media would be a terrifying aspect from their profile pictures alone, let alone when they all stop by to comment on something

Ten: "Good lord was that what I considered funny back then?"
Three: "Oh look at you, wearing a younger face in an older body!"
Eleven: "I'm...not with them, I swear..."
Twelve: *string of emojis*

Two: Well there's no need to swear!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I was a big fan of the young John Hurt with the toilet paper in the background. And also how he just got poo poo done when almost everybody else was arguing, lol.

Six being mostly absent only for the reveal to be he'd actually just gone ahead and solved the problem while everybody else was bickering was great :allears:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Six being mostly absent only for the reveal to be he'd actually just gone ahead and solved the problem while everybody else was bickering was great :allears:

Some of the impressionists were really good. Culsaw and Dudman, obvs, but Second, Six, Ten, and particularly War were great. David Bradley was awesome, of course. But holy crap, the guy doing Eight was awful.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I didn't hate eight (no pun intended) but that might be because I'm not a Big Finish regular so I don't listen to Paul McGann's voice as often as some of the people of the thread do. Twelve's impression however... was not good. Peter Capaldi's voice is pretty distinctive, and there seems to be a trend of impressionists mimicking the accent and the mannerisms but not even attempting to disguise their timbre and pitch when compared to Capaldi? And it just doesn't work for me.

Still, that was something that a bunch of people did for free, and it was very fun, so I don't wanna be too critical. I'm sure everybody involved is a lovely chap!

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

I also feel like impressionists just put Capaldi's accent down as Scottish, but none have properly nailed the specific type of Scottish accent he has.

The attempt at Thirteen was pretty poor too, but there's obviously been less time to find someone who can do a convincing Jodie Whittaker impression. I also thought the writing on her character was off, being based entirely on the fact she's said "fam" a couple of times.

Ultimately though, this is right:

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Still, that was something that a bunch of people did for free, and it was very fun, so I don't wanna be too critical. I'm sure everybody involved is a lovely chap!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just rewatched Face the Raven - Heaven Sent - Hell Bent and I found that Hell Bent is way way way better than I remembered. The Hybrid resolution didn't even feel like stupid bullshit this time. There were actually more confusing/annoying things in Face the Raven, I felt (especially involving this Raven creature).

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CommonShore posted:

I just rewatched Face the Raven - Heaven Sent - Hell Bent and I found that Hell Bent is way way way better than I remembered. The Hybrid resolution didn't even feel like stupid bullshit this time. There were actually more confusing/annoying things in Face the Raven, I felt (especially involving this Raven creature).

Way better? Way better?!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Big Finish to end the monthy range in 2021, replacing it with rotating boxsets

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/revamped-doctor-who-audio-ranges-from-big-finish

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 25, 2020

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

I don't have strong feelings one way or the other on the decision, but I don't really understand their rationale. "We're going to end this run of adventures for each doctor and replace it with a different run of adventures for each doctor" just feels like the same marketing speak that Marvel and DC use every time they relaunch a series at #1

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Chokes McGee posted:

Way better? Way better?!

Yeah, compared to my memory of it anyway, I'd give it italics.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

jivjov posted:

I don't have strong feelings one way or the other on the decision, but I don't really understand their rationale. "We're going to end this run of adventures for each doctor and replace it with a different run of adventures for each doctor" just feels like the same marketing speak that Marvel and DC use every time they relaunch a series at #1

Word on the street is that their planned Davison trilogy for the year had to be shelved because it was about plague. Between that and the much better reception the 8th Doctor boxsets always get compared to the Monthly Range this makes business sense.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I wonder if they're going to restrict it to one Doctor release a month. For example, this month had the Third Doctor Adventures, The Sixth Doctor Monthly release, and a Fourth Doctor Special.

I liked getting multiple Doctor releases a month.

Also have to wonder what the format is going to be like. Like the current Fourth Doctor range where the box is two 2-disc stories, or the Eighth Doctor range where it four 1 disc stories. Or like the War Doctor where it was a 3 disc set.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 25, 2020

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CommonShore posted:

Yeah, compared to my memory of it anyway, I'd give it italics.

Preposterous :mad:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

DoctorWhat posted:

Word on the street is that their planned Davison trilogy for the year had to be shelved because it was about plague. Between that and the much better reception the 8th Doctor boxsets always get compared to the Monthly Range this makes business sense.

Yeah that all tracks. The "oh it'll make a better jumping on point for fans!" reads as post-facto justification

I do wonder how the price point per story is gonna work out, comparing box set releases to an equivalent number of monthly releases. And what's the format gonna look like? Are they going to all single or two part stories rather than the four shorter episodes the monthlies tended to be?

All of this will be answered in time, but there's so little hard info about the new format thus far

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

Big Finish to end the monthy range in 2021, replacing it with rotating boxsets

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/revamped-doctor-who-audio-ranges-from-big-finish

It's been a couple of years since I regularly bought any Big Finish, but when I did I would buy box sets that interested me pretty much the month they came out if not day of release, while individual story release like the monthly range, Early Adventures, and the 4DAs (before it moved to boxes too) I'd wait and pick up when they went on special.

Maybe their sales data says that more of their customers are trending that way and they're hoping to capture more regular sales from folks with that kind of buying habit

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
My weird collector/completionist brain likes that I have a finite number of Monthly Range stories to collect now (only 48 to go!) but I wish they had pushed it to 300 for dumb "pretty" number reasons

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

jivjov posted:

My weird collector/completionist brain likes that I have a finite number of Monthly Range stories to collect now (only 48 to go!) but I wish they had pushed it to 300 for dumb "pretty" number reasons

Yeah, I've really fallen behind on my BF listening but knowing that the monthly range is now "complete" makes me feel better about eventually getting through it all.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

UK time today, BF is announcing something at 3:50pm. Or to put it another way, 10 to 4.

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/tom-baker-and-david-tennant-are-out-of-time

Doctor Who: Out of Time, starring Tom Baker and David Tennant!

First in a trilogy pairing different Doctors.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 26, 2020

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Davros1 posted:

UK time today, BF is announcing something at 3:50pm. Or to put it another way, 10 to 4.

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/tom-baker-and-david-tennant-are-out-of-time

Doctor Who: Out of Time, starring Tom Baker and David Tennant!

First in a trilogy pairing different Doctors.

Shut up and take my money.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Give me the Sixth and the Ninth Doctor just being smarmy and mean to everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Harlock posted:

Give me the Sixth and the Ninth Doctor just being smarmy and mean to everyone