Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Denji aint afraid to be stupid as hell tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
If anything Denji would probably become best of pals with the Stupidity Devil after they realize how extremely dumb both of them are.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The twist is Power was the Stupidity Devil all along

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
if there's a Death Devil and it ever meets denji then it's probably going to ask for this kid's autograph

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
That was totally Kobeni's power's car wasn't it?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I just read this entire dang manga today.

It's good.

I hope future chapters have more chainsaws. Will stay tuned to find out.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Denji, become Fire Chainsaw

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
https://imgur.com/a/6NARtMp

Speed scan

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
when those blindfolds came out I knew poo poo was going to go down, but I didn't expect an immediate capitulation then decapitation. This manga just keeps going

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Vacation Time?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

So that's pretty much the end of the plot against Makima. The world's top devil hunters are either dead or permanently incapacitated aside from Kishibe.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Quanxi should still be alive since she’s a half devil like Denji. I want to hear the backstory of the first devil hunter.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I guess everyone's okay after the darkness devil stuff. Not surprised that Makima recovered fine, but I thought Quanxi might have a harder time getting back into tip top shape. At any rate, that two-page spread was loving great.

Halloween halloween! Hallo...weeeeeeeeen!!

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Halloween.

The kamehameween was amazing. When Quanxi 'set' her on Santa, I thought 'Oh, maybe Halloween isn't the goofy low-level devil of halloween which people are scared-but-not-really of, but something more insidious, like brain damage. And then it one-upped that. Hive mind taken down by the Total Perspective Vortex.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I'm dying laughing about Santa Claus getting defeated by the very embodiment of the Galaxy Brain meme.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I wonder if this means that something cosmically insane will happen on Halloween, so that it overshadows all other knowledge.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I wonder if this means that something cosmically insane will happen on Halloween, so that it overshadows all other knowledge.

IT's just getting a song stuck in their head for eternity. Halloween Halloween This is Halloween.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That was not what I was expecting from that goofy-looking fiend. :stare:

Makima basically used the same thing to kill Reze, right?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Elfface posted:

Halloween.

The kamehameween was amazing. When Quanxi 'set' her on Santa, I thought 'Oh, maybe Halloween isn't the goofy low-level devil of halloween which people are scared-but-not-really of, but something more insidious, like brain damage. And then it one-upped that. Hive mind taken down by the Total Perspective Vortex.

That was not the end I expected of a kamehameha

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Whelp.

I know that over-reading Makima's expressions is already my thing, but it's interesting to compare Makima when killing Reze to her killing Quanxi.

For Reze, Makima's comments were creepy, but also kind of sympathetic, in a weird way. She talked about their common ground, showed no particular joy in the killing, and held Reze's hand as she died rather than lopping that one off too. Heck, considering where she was waiting, it's possible Reze could have got away if she wasn't going to take away Makima's dog.

Quanxi, meanwhile? For Quanxi, Makima was pissed. She took real pleasure in killing her, even cracking a one-liner. A one liner calling back to her people that Quanxi killed.

There's a lot of possibilities for the difference, including me just assuming more kindness out of Makima vis a vis Reze than is warranted, but right now I'm leaning towards it being a real difference, and it being about Denji.

Reze killed plenty of Public Safety agents, but she only did that after other methods failed, and she really did care for Denji. There was nothing personal, just business.

Quanxi, meanwhile, killed dozens of agents without even a half-assed attempt at an alternative, and she decapitated Denji before even announcing that their truce is over. She killed Makima's dog. And that's even worse than killing John Wick's dog.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

chiasaur11 posted:

She killed Makima's dog. And that's even worse than killing John Wick's dog.
It would be pretty funny if Makima uses the revenge devil and that's why whenever we see her act it's in retaliation.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
She's like Camilla from the latest arc from Hunter x Hunter. But... y'know, with her own vibe.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Sindai posted:

It would be pretty funny if Makima uses the revenge devil and that's why whenever we see her act it's in retaliation.

She did kill Quanxi the same way Quanxi killed Denji. And when those yakuza shot her on the train they were filled with holes afterwards.

It can’t be her only devil contract though, it doesn’t explain the vermin control stuff or what she did at the temple.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.

RatHat posted:

She did kill Quanxi the same way Quanxi killed Denji. And when those yakuza shot her on the train they were filled with holes afterwards.

It can’t be her only devil contract though, it doesn’t explain the vermin control stuff or what she did at the temple.

Karma Devil.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Personally, any line of thinking that relies on Makima caring about Denji is a non-starter. Like Octopus Boy laid it out, Makima surrounded Denji with a bunch of third rate protectors against the top assassins of the world. She doesn't give a drat about Denji getting wrecked (and it's all fixable with some blood).

On that note though, I kind of assumed that Makima knew how to permanently take down hybrids. Is Reze actually still alive?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
iirc makima called out "hell devil" when she showed up to pull everybody out of hell.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Inflammatory posted:

iirc makima called out "hell devil" when she showed up to pull everybody out of hell.

She did. She offered herself i think? Either that or she offered “herself” through the doll guy

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Also this is my favorite new manga. I need a thousand chapters

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

NickRoweFillea posted:

Also this is my favorite new manga. I need a thousand chapters
I very much doubt this gets beyond 200 chapters, maybe 250 if we're hella optimistic. I mean, how many relevant/named characters were we left with alive/not driven insane?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
in this town
we call home
everyone hails to the PUMPKIN SONG

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
hopefully reze and quanxi are just locked up in the basement hanging out with the future devil. stop killing cool characters makima

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Wark Say posted:

I very much doubt this gets beyond 200 chapters, maybe 250 if we're hella optimistic. I mean, how many relevant/named characters were we left with alive/not driven insane?

Seems like there’s a mass deletion of characters every couple arcs. Their deaths are the sorbet helping us to savor the major characters. :kheldragar: Plus, everyone’s afraid of something, so there’s endless possibilities for weird devils.

That being said, if the creator wants to go full cocaine mode and make it a short but intense experience, well, I suppose I’ll enjoy that as well.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Halloween

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Makima conjecture:

Personally, I think it'd be cool if Makima's first contract was with some sort of deception devil. Something that represents the fear of being cheated or ripped off or lied to. The power she got from that devil lets her make contracts with other devils that she just doesn't fulfill. She just gets what she can and then can renege on the contract because she's a cheater.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Along those same lines, maybe some kind of sacrifice devil, that lets her sacrifice others in place of parts of herself. She sacrifices dudes at the temple to splat people, and did something funky to escape hell.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hypocrisy posted:

Personally, any line of thinking that relies on Makima caring about Denji is a non-starter. Like Octopus Boy laid it out, Makima surrounded Denji with a bunch of third rate protectors against the top assassins of the world. She doesn't give a drat about Denji getting wrecked (and it's all fixable with some blood).

On that note though, I kind of assumed that Makima knew how to permanently take down hybrids. Is Reze actually still alive?

And then she puts her own rear end on the line to bail him out.

Makima also knew Denji would be at ground zero for the Katana devil and crew, and probably knew that Reze was an enemy agent, even if the Bomb thing came as a shock to her watchdog. At the same time, she makes getting him out of whatever mess he's in the top priority. Denji getting banged up is fine, since he can take it, but keeping him recoverable is seemingly priority one, even when Makima's got people saying "No, don't, this is too dangerous even for you".

She also pays close attention to his emotional well being, which is interesting. When he has a problem, she talks him through it, and it's good life advice. (Sex is better when you care about each other, you'll always remember bad experiences but they won't drown out the good, he does have a heart) She also lets him have his romance with Reze, only having Beam interfere once things get... heated.

Hard to call how much of that is just more of her manipulation and how much is something else, but at minimum she seems to like that her dogs don't just wait around for orders.

At minimum, she seems to think her people are hers in a way that makes her less charitable towards people who kill them. She can break her toys, but other people doing it? That's not allowed.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think makima might have a soft spot for denji because he's seemingly the only person in the world that doesn't see her as a terrifying monster. not everything has to be complicated.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think makima might have a soft spot for denji because he's seemingly the only person in the world that doesn't see her as a terrifying monster. not everything has to be complicated.

Him and Aki.

Which explains a little about why Makima seems to have a soft spot for him too.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

CubeTheory posted:

Makima conjecture:

Personally, I think it'd be cool if Makima's first contract was with some sort of deception devil. Something that represents the fear of being cheated or ripped off or lied to. The power she got from that devil lets her make contracts with other devils that she just doesn't fulfill. She just gets what she can and then can renege on the contract because she's a cheater.

That’s a neat theory. If that were true, I wonder what she had to give up to perpetually welch on bets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

NickRoweFillea posted:

She did. She offered herself i think? Either that or she offered “herself” through the doll guy

I interpreted it as her making the dude speak, thus making him sacrifice himself to save the rest of them.