Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Roth posted:

Good lord the MC of that Ghoul School one shot is a straight up groomer.

I was joking about him visually resembling the last villain of their previous series but man I guess they're gonna go deep into that particular rabbit hole.

The art for it is quite good and really creepy, shame it has to be actually creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think the main problem with the rank battles is the hiatus plus the switch to a slower update cycle. makes it feel like it's lasted longer than it really has in the actual narrative

reading it all after the fact will prob flow better

I mean, it did last a really long time. Like at least 1/3 of the current manga, and maybe closer to half. I just read from 140-something to the current chapter (I think 196 or something?) and that covered I think 4 rank battles + the second shorter invasion, and there were 2 or 3 rank battles before that.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

aftokrator desperately needs chika as a sacrifice. letting hyuse run around free on his home turf would be deeply stupid. the dude doesn't even pretend to have switched loyalties to earth.

I get the impression that Hyuse would not be willing to sacrifice Chika unless his lord specifically ordered him to do so. His loyalties are specific to his lord more than Aftokrator itself, and we don't know much about his lord beyond "apparently a nicer guy than most Aftokrator feudal lords." Though the lord in question did apparently make (or at least allow) him to go on the "capture a bunch of Meeden people for trion" mission, so he's probably not exactly against the idea. But Hyuse doesn't really directly share those goals; he just feels obligated due to his loyalty to his feudal lord/surrogate father. It's not that unlike those vassal neighbors who invaded - they don't really have anything against Earth/Meeden and don't care about helping Aftokrator beyond the extent to which they're obligated by their vassal status. The story seems to be emphasizing that there's a lot of room for shaking various factions' loyalties towards Aftokrator.

I basically agree that it's still kind of an objectively a bad idea to let him go free on Aftokrator, but that doesn't mean that Mikumo/Kuga/Chika will be fine with it (since they obviously all sympathize with his desire to return home).

(I keep mistakenly typing "Afrokrator")

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

ConanThe3rd posted:

Well not for nothing but I think Paradox Ghostwriter aquitted itself from it's first chapter quite well. Here's to the next one.

I'm not sure about this. I mean, yeah, he admitted he plagiarized the manga, but he still went along with it in the end. Him going "well, it's my duty to give this to the people because they're asking for it" feels like a flimsy justification someone gives when they know they're doing something wrong.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I actually kind of like Guardian of the Witch so far. The premise is kind of interesting; I like the whole thing with the witches basically being doomed to an early death and most of the other guardians working with them as their future assassins.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Ytlaya posted:

I actually kind of like Guardian of the Witch so far. The premise is kind of interesting; I like the whole thing with the witches basically being doomed to an early death and most of the other guardians working with them as their future assassins.

I like the concept. But it's like the art feels derivative of Black Clover which feels derivative of Naruto.

It just lacks like that thing. Or strong hook.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
We Never Learn

Rizu arc is done, and it was loving nothing! :laffo:

Next arc is probably Fumino, I hope it's better than Rizu's.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

amigolupus posted:

I'm not sure about this. I mean, yeah, he admitted he plagiarized the manga, but he still went along with it in the end. Him going "well, it's my duty to give this to the people because they're asking for it" feels like a flimsy justification someone gives when they know they're doing something wrong.

Eh, If I'm wrong then I'll eat crow, but after Undead Unluck not only pulled up from one of the most disasterous first chapters I've read in a good while but sored I'm more willing to give this the bennifit of the doubt.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Man WNL. That was one spicy kiss there!

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Mikl posted:

We Never Learn

That's not true at all.
We got a nice arc about Sekijou and a ghost got to go to heaven.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm happy for Rizu.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dexo posted:

I like the concept. But it's like the art feels derivative of Black Clover which feels derivative of Naruto.

It just lacks like that thing. Or strong hook.

The art isn't anything special, but it's plenty competent. Probably the best example of "competently done but doesn't compel you keep reading" early cancelled shounen manga are Iron Knight and Red Sprite, both of which were by the same guy (who I feel bad for, because the guy is good as a manga artist, but something about the writing just makes it feel uninspired to read; it's gotta suck to get two series into WSJ and have both be cancelled).

My main concern is probably that the main duo's "power" is something that does not lend itself to good fights. Fire powers tend to translate into boring attacks in shounen. The first two duos they encounter have pretty interesting abilities, though.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The new Bone Collection dialed all the way back on the horny this week and replaced it with action. The moron quotient remains the same, however.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Hypocrisy posted:

Viz

MangaPlus

It all depends on the next chapter.

Agravity Boys

Viz

MangaPlus

Our own version of the Jeopardy Greatest of All Time Championship. RIP Chris, forced to straight man solo since Volk decided to go along with the flow.
HB is always in to screw with their everyday lives. He must have been so bored before the morons came along.

Mikl posted:

We Never Learn

Next arc is probably Fumino, I hope it's better than Rizu's.

I thought it was really nice how they came back to the original game. It was pretty boring beyond that though.I think the best way to describe is that it was as good as it could be despite Sawako/Rizu ship.

Moriking
That was a very short battle.

Mashle
Magic world is hosed up. You mean no one misses all those kids getting transformed into dolls? And the alternative sorting hat experience was hilariously stupid. I personally can't wait for next chapter.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

MAshle is very quickly growing on me and seems to be speeding towards its conclusion rather than drag things out.
Best to die to a gag manga, rather than live long enough to become a shonen battle manga.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I like how Mashle introduces new threats in a way that you're supposed to think "oh I wonder how Mash will end up pitted against them" then he literally just runs into them on the next page

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Fabricated posted:

I like how Mashle introduces new threats in a way that you're supposed to think "oh I wonder how Mash will end up pitted against them" then he literally just runs into them on the next page

I was expecting a rehash of Zipperman and Mashle just owns them right after introducing them.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Rigged Death Trap posted:

MAshle is very quickly growing on me and seems to be speeding towards its conclusion rather than drag things out.
Best to die to a gag manga, rather than live long enough to become a shonen battle manga.

Mashle’s strength is actually from being an alien

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Is mashle really speeding towards its conclusion rather than just aiming to be a short funny series?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Jose posted:

Is mashle really speeding towards its conclusion rather than just aiming to be a short funny series?

These are both the same things

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jose posted:

This feels like the series where the MC could steamroll the elite group of upperclassman and it's just a part of the joke.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Bone Collection seems to be firmly settling into what I'd call a "pre-Soul Society Bleach but everyone's a funny idiot" vibe and I hope that's where it stays.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Agravity Boys

Viz

Mangaplus

I think this is my favorite chapter. Watching the Higher Being get depressed and go to a bar slayed me.

Time Paradox Ghostwriter

Viz

Mangaplus

Uh....okay.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'll have my crow well done and to go, thanks. :sigh:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I can't believe my dumb rival guess was right.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Mashle Really has no business being this good every chapter.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Brought To You By posted:

The best Japanese* gag manga are the ones that use this sort of tone. Saiki Kusuo has a similar tone to it.

* I mention Japanese just because humor-based Koreaan webtoons/manhwa have their own very distinct sort of humor

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

It's so good. I also can't help but laugh at all the wizards always being Bond villians. Explaining everything.

Hypocrisy posted:

Agravity Boys

Viz

Mangaplus

I think this is my favorite chapter. Watching the Higher Being get depressed and go to a bar slayed me.

Time Paradox Ghostwriter

Viz

Mangaplus

Uh....okay.

HB just wants to be loved. :) No one is allowed to touch his idiots.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
The Fumino arc started in We Never Learn and it's amazing how a single chapter is already more interesting and funny than Rizu's entire arc.

Justice for Sekijou.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ytlaya posted:

The best Japanese* gag manga are the ones that use this sort of tone. Saiki Kusuo has a similar tone to it.

* I mention Japanese just because humor-based Koreaan webtoons/manhwa have their own very distinct sort of humor

Mashle is too good for this weekly dumpster magazine.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Still not sure how to feel about Ghostwriter. He's plagarising! But he feels really bad about it! But he did it anyway! He's about to face the person he's plagarising from! Through a wacky misunderstanding she doesn't mind! Even though he never came out and admitted he stole it! They are rivals now, even though he has zero imagination or skill and she should very literally have his job!

Decide already!

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Pierson posted:

Even though he never came out and admitted he stole it!

He literally did! :confused:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

well there's absolutely no way this doesn't affect the future issues so i'm interested to see how he moves forward

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

HenryEx posted:

He literally did! :confused:
Oh poo poo you're right I totally misread that page. Now my post doesn't make sense and I blame you.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Mikl posted:

The Fumino arc started in We Never Learn and it's amazing how a single chapter is already more interesting and funny than Rizu's entire arc.

I thought nearly word for word the exact same thing.

Poor Rizu. And here she is again, reduced to being noodle girl!

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Bone Collection seems to be firmly settling into what I'd call a "pre-Soul Society Bleach but everyone's a funny idiot" vibe and I hope that's where it stays.

Remember early-on when they needed to take out a really big monster, so Ichigo tied his sword to archer-guy's head to feed him energy?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Elfface posted:

Remember early-on when they needed to take out a really big monster, so Ichigo tied his sword to archer-guy's head to feed him energy?

To be fair that was after a conga line of Super Serious Shonen poo poo.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I miss Dorkchigo.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I miss the Subsutute Soul Reaper arc of Bleach. Back when it was Ghostbusters with swords and not Toei-paced Dragonball Z with Swords.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Mikl posted:

Justice for Sekijou.
I like that this arc is starting during the original story. I think the idea of doing different routes like a visual novel will probably work better when you can see how events change due to something being different (Fumino falling down the stairs instead of Nariyuki), instead of being like Rizu's story which started with a time skip and then had to fill in the gaps with flashbacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Watch the Bleach live-action movie.