Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Duckman would’ve been weird enough to fit in as well (iirc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Icon Of Sin posted:

Duckman would’ve been weird enough to fit in as well (iirc).

I'm kinda surprised they never tried to get any of the old "Oddities" cartoons from MTV. poo poo like The Maxx and Aeon Flux and The Head.
Or hell, Undergrads and Clone High.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Aeon Flux was better as the little shorts on Liquid Television than the fully formed show.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Aeon Flux was better as the little shorts on Liquid Television than the fully formed show.

Admittedly I don't remember much about any of the old cartoons. I was probably no older than 11 or 12 when they were on TV, so they went way the hell over my head. I remember liking The Maxx because my dog's name was also Max.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Does Clone High hold up? I loved the hell out of the show when it was on but then it vanished and I never sought it out after it was done airing.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yes it rules

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

sweeperbravo posted:

Does Clone High hold up? I loved the hell out of the show when it was on but then it vanished and I never sought it out after it was done airing.

Clone High holds up like woah. Too bad India got mad about the depiction of Ghandi and torpedoed it.

Amazon.ca used to have the whole thing on DVD. I loaned mine to a guy and, for reasons, never got it back...last I checked, the YouTube rips are behind a paywall.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm reminded of how the Wacky Deli show in Rocko's Modern Life was almost prescient of Adult Swim, particularly Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Clone High is still incredible but does rely heavily on you knowing the celebrities of the time.

Scudworth's Stamos rant still bubbles up in my mind now and then (although to be honest I did not know who Stamos was when I first saw it :v: ).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUKhLJBRp6g

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm reminded of how the Wacky Deli show in Rocko's Modern Life was almost prescient of Adult Swim, particularly Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

People always say Wacky Delly predicted Adult Swim's weirder cartoons, but really, that whole episode is just a retelling of how he made Rocko's Modern Life. He really did just keep trying to make a show that would fail so he could move on, but instead kept accidentally stumbling into genius.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cleretic posted:

People always say Wacky Delly predicted Adult Swim's weirder cartoons, but really, that whole episode is just a retelling of how he made Rocko's Modern Life. He really did just keep trying to make a show that would fail so he could move on, but instead kept accidentally stumbling into genius.

That's true. IIRC he started the show coming off a personal tragedy and it was basically just a long-form rage against capitalism.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Winklebottom posted:

Clone High is still incredible but does rely heavily on you knowing the celebrities of the time.

Scudworth's Stamos rant still bubbles up in my mind now and then (although to be honest I did not know who Stamos was when I first saw it :v: ).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUKhLJBRp6g

Clone High’s celebrity cameos being so extremely 2002 makes them funnier imo. Especially Ashley Angel from O-Town.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

People always say this as if the season of full episodes of Aeon Flux isn't still weird as Hell and amazing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's true. IIRC he started the show coming off a personal tragedy and it was basically just a long-form rage against capitalism.

It actually happened several times. The pilot came from him not actually wanting to make a show for a kid's network, but needing the money from giving them a pilot to fund his independent film. So, he made what he thought was total garbage, only to have it get picked up.

Then, when they actually did pick it up, his wife committed suicide shortly before production started. So he tried to tank the actual show, too, so he could move back home and sort his life out. Then that led to success, so he kept trying harder and harder to gently caress it up, until eventually just giving up.

That Static Cling special on Netflix is debatably the only Rocko's Modern Life thing he made that he actually wanted to make.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 14:30 on May 24, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I've also heard theories that Ren and Stimpy was getting so much heat from the moral busybodies and censors that the rest of Nick's shows weren't paid nearly as much attention.

Someone said before that one of the key aspects of Rocko's is that while most funny animal cartoons ignore the whole animal species food chain thing aside maybe from one-off jokes, Rocko's Modern Life just has it coexisting with and often an unsubtle metaphor for unconstrained capitalism, a literal dog-eat-dog world. Heffer's adoptive mother Virginia Wolf will serve you dinner with her family or serve you as dinner to her family depending on what's most convenient at the time. Also the whole Chokey/Chewy Chicken thing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
There is also an upbeat musical number about the futility of fighting city hall

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

CharlestheHammer posted:

There is also an upbeat musical number about the futility of fighting city hall

And recycling.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Cleretic posted:

That Static Cling special on Netflix is debatably the only Rocko's Modern Life thing he made that he actually wanted to make.

I guess that explains the quality.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've also heard theories that Ren and Stimpy was getting so much heat from the moral busybodies and censors that the rest of Nick's shows weren't paid nearly as much attention.

Someone said before that one of the key aspects of Rocko's is that while most funny animal cartoons ignore the whole animal species food chain thing aside maybe from one-off jokes, Rocko's Modern Life just has it coexisting with and often an unsubtle metaphor for unconstrained capitalism, a literal dog-eat-dog world. Heffer's adoptive mother Virginia Wolf will serve you dinner with her family or serve you as dinner to her family depending on what's most convenient at the time. Also the whole Chokey/Chewy Chicken thing.

Heffer was supposed to be dinner for the Wolfe family before they adopted him. And he had to "bring an elk to dinner" as part of his inititiaton into manhood, so he brought one home as his date.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
ok but why was that one guy a foot

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mister Kingdom posted:

Heffer was supposed to be dinner for the Wolfe family before they adopted him. And he had to "bring an elk to dinner" as part of his inititiaton into manhood, so he brought one home as his date.

A lot of parents can tell you about that happening every time they bring home a live crab or lobster. The Pinchy episode of the Simpsons is true to life.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
So I finished binging the last season of Handmaid's Tale -- had its ups and its downs as usual, but the one thing that stuck out to me was the subplot about being force to wear face masks. The intent is obvious: women are being visibly silenced. And kudos to the costume design, those things are terrifying, with metal buckles locking them in place in the back.

But man, talk about unfortunate timing. It came out about 6 or 7 months before the pandemic, but the timing is close enough that in a couple of years it won't matter. And yes, idiots are already dressing up in the costume to protest Corona safety measures.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Watching Rocko as an adult is hilarious, because there are so many of these unsubtle metaphors about how much capitalism sucks that flew over my head as an eleven year old. It never seemed to get the attention of Hey Arnold! or Rugrats, but Rocko's Modern Life was one of their best '90s cartoons.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Watching Rocko as an adult is hilarious, because there are so many of these unsubtle metaphors about how much capitalism sucks that flew over my head as an eleven year old. It never seemed to get the attention of Hey Arnold! or Rugrats, but Rocko's Modern Life was one of their best '90s cartoons.

Oh, baby, Oh baby, Oh baby

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Mister Kingdom posted:

Oh, baby, Oh baby, Oh baby

Rocko?!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
He also outright warned Ed that if he didn't learn to appreciate his wife he'd lose her to someone else after an episode where she was trying to seduce Rocko because she was feeling sexually frustrated due to Ed's attitude. He even punctuates it with "Why, if I weren't such a gentleman I'd... I'd *Kisses Bev's hand then walks out before Ed kills him*"

It's kind of amusing that Ed becomes one of the most relatable characters as you get older because he's a man who used to enjoy his job but got all the joy crushed out of him by an oppressive corporate atmosphere and is now severely burnt out. As people get older they go from Heffer, to Rocko, to Ed.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BioEnchanted posted:

He also outright warned Ed that if he didn't learn to appreciate his wife he'd lose her to someone else after an episode where she was trying to seduce Rocko because she was feeling sexually frustrated due to Ed's attitude. He even punctuates it with "Why, if I weren't such a gentleman I'd... I'd *Kisses Bev's hand then walks out before Ed kills him*"

It's kind of amusing that Ed becomes one of the most relatable characters as you get older because he's a man who used to enjoy his job but got all the joy crushed out of him by an oppressive corporate atmosphere and is now severely burnt out. As people get older they go from Heffer, to Rocko, to Ed.

Episode 2 of season 1 actually

She even slips him Spanish fly

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

BioEnchanted posted:

What age and stage of life is Filburt?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
There’s an entire episode where he has the urge to go to the Galapagos island to mate so he’s at least post puberty

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Given Filbert has the most complex relationship, that of course being with Dr Hutchinson, and his admission of his lounge singing kind of feels a little midlife crisis-y I'd say he's a later stage of life, someone who by the end of his development/arc knows what he likes to do and who he wants to be with and is completely fine with it. He ends as the most self-actualised character compared to where he starts. Also he has a brilliant episode where he marries Rocko to keep him in the country due to a mix-up with his Greencard meaning Rocko is facing deportation - the episode shows the consequences of this action as he and Hutch are stuck with their relationship completely stalled while Rocko's situation resolves, both of them pining for each other when they see each other but knowing that Filbert is doing the right thing even though it's killing them both inside to have to wait for each other.

Heffer also matures a lot in a very subtle way - he starts being a complete mess, a total sponge with zero common sense or agency in his own life. He's a total manchild. however he does try to push himself, failing initially due to his immaturity in the Museum job (being too scared of the dark to be a good night watchman), then trying to strike out on his own to prove that he can when he becomes manager of a chokey chicken branch, failing there due to his naivete and a toxic roommate, crashing out the worst he ever had a totally giving up on ever being his own man, literally crawling back home completely broken and in denial about how he's doing even as his body drags him home while he's on a phone call with his mother assuring her that "I'm fine... I really really love living on my own..." practically in tears by the end of it if he weren't so dehydrated. By the end of the show he's found a balance, still living at home, but having a stable job as a postal worker that he takes very seriously. He improves immensely over the course of the show and has a very complete arc.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 21:55 on May 24, 2020

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
That episode where Rocko's boss goes on vacation and Rocko has to take over for him and becomes so power-hungry and monstrous by the end that he literally turns into his boss is too real.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Ed has a parallel episode where he gets promoted out of his comfort zone due to a lucky guess on a really complicated problem that the higher-ups are totally failing to figure out that requires knowledge of advanced financial maths, Ed uses a Magic 8-Ball to get an answer that happens to be correct and gets promoted, however becomes reliant on his crutch. By the time he's at the top he has become so incapable of the slightest original thought that the most basic questions give him as much trouble as advanced calculus.

The first question is "Is the derivative share requirement indexed according to cost and percentage analysis?" Fair enough, a tough question, definitely executive level thinking that would need a business degree. By the end his brain is melting at "Should we increase the amount of employee parking?" I'll admit I looked up the episode on Dailymotion while writing this post to get that first question :P It's a great exploration of just how people get promoted out of their competency and also how out of touch executives tend to be.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

Same with the good seasons of the Simpsons really. You start sympathizing with Marge and Homer (despite his antics) when you rewatch the old episodes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BioEnchanted posted:

Ed has a parallel episode where he gets promoted out of his comfort zone due to a lucky guess on a really complicated problem that the higher-ups are totally failing to figure out that requires knowledge of advanced financial maths, Ed uses a Magic 8-Ball to get an answer that happens to be correct and gets promoted, however becomes reliant on his crutch. By the time he's at the top he has become so incapable of the slightest original thought that the most basic questions give him as much trouble as advanced calculus.

The first question is "Is the derivative share requirement indexed according to cost and percentage analysis?" Fair enough, a tough question, definitely executive level thinking that would need a business degree. By the end his brain is melting at "Should we increase the amount of employee parking?" I'll admit I looked up the episode on Dailymotion while writing this post to get that first question :P It's a great exploration of just how people get promoted out of their competency and also how out of touch executives tend to be.

IIRC the joke is also that the higher he gets promoted the easier his job gets, with his stress being entirely self-inflicted because he's incapable of seeing how good he's got it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Yeah, like even the volume changes - the first level he has massive stacks of paperwork to go through, the final floor is only that one simple question.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm watching Allen Gregory right now and wowzers this is bad. Every character is awful and unlikable except the Cambodian girl, and what the gently caress with the little boy ogling his principal's rear end and poo poo

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I'm watching Allen Gregory right now and wowzers this is bad. Every character is awful and unlikable except the Cambodian girl, and what the gently caress with the little boy ogling his principal's rear end and poo poo

Haha, I started watching it today too, just to see what the fuss is about. I generally like shows full of horrible people, too, as long as they're actually funny. This wasn't as horrible as goons were making it out to be but it certainly wasn't good or funny, and even though I got over halfway through I couldn't muster the energy to finish it off. The only thing I thought was actually funny was that his father works a fake job as "Super CEO" of his own father's company, and they just give him busywork to do for half a day then send him home and manage to run this lie for quite some time, then he finds out, but they're able to get it up and running again because he's an idiot.

e: Oh, and I also started watching the new season of the Trailer Park Boys animated series, cause I thought I remembered the first season of it at least being better than the Netflix seasons of the live action show... and maybe it is, but that's a low bar. Plus I dunno what staff member was keeping them from literally saying "eww, gay" but they're long gone now. Also I've said it before and I'll say it again: Julian is so one-dimensional they can't think of a thing to do with him besides him trying to make money.

Diet Poison has a new favorite as of 06:23 on May 25, 2020

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:
Jonah Hill should get roasted for it in every interview he's done since, though

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

As soon as Jonah hill wasn’t fat he instantly became unlikeable and unfunny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:

oldpainless posted:

As soon as Jonah hill wasn’t fat he instantly became unlikeable and unfunny.

more like, oldlaughless