Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

a question for maybe someone that's done this before: why does it seem that everyone rattlecans the stencils? wouldn't it be easier to just lay down the template and then give it one good pass with a roller- sort of like a silkscreen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

boar guy posted:

a question for maybe someone that's done this before: why does it seem that everyone rattlecans the stencils? wouldn't it be easier to just lay down the template and then give it one good pass with a roller- sort of like a silkscreen?

For EMs - it's how they were done originally, and to look as close to that as possible. Original cabs almost always have some amount of overspray around the edges of various shapes.

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth
Are there any concerns about repeated use of disinfectant on pinball machines without metal protectors along the side? I discovered the danger of wearing a ring on my Metallica Pro, turns out my slap saves have been dinging up the side for a while now...

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Someone from my EM short list followed me home yesterday.... Will likely take a couple months to really spit shine it, but playfield and cab are in really nice shape. New set of drops and plastics will make it kick rear end.

Joe Man thinks I'm crazy, but might pop for a repro backglass, since once I'm done the flaking on the reds is going to annoy the poo poo out of me.

Still semi laughing at the pieces of cardboard the prior owner taped in place to block the outlanes.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Tony Phillips posted:

Someone from my EM short list followed me home yesterday.... Will likely take a couple months to really spit shine it, but playfield and cab are in really nice shape. New set of drops and plastics will make it kick rear end.

Joe Man thinks I'm crazy, but might pop for a repro backglass, since once I'm done the flaking on the reds is going to annoy the poo poo out of me.

Still semi laughing at the pieces of cardboard the prior owner taped in place to block the outlanes.

grats man!

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

boar guy posted:

the documentation on this thing is unbelievable, back in the day when you bought something you really bought the whole thing. you could pretty much create an F-14 from scratch with the wiring diagram and schematics they give you in the manual

Seriously! I love it. The pinball stuff is downright spartan compared to what they did for video games, too. The theory of operation document for Defender is incredible.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Tony Phillips posted:

Oh wow, that looks like fun!

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Are people clamoring for a new TMNT game? Just wondering. It’s not really any worse than some of Stern’s recent choices, but ... meh.

I’m a bit biased because I hate that drat spinning pizza.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Fly Ricky posted:

Are people clamoring for a new TMNT game? Just wondering. It’s not really any worse than some of Stern’s recent choices, but ... meh.

I’m a bit biased because I hate that drat spinning pizza.

One spinning pizza TMNT pinball is one too many! Why would they bring back the worst mechanic?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

It should be three spinning pizzas

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Got my Totem going again today. I hate that I waited so long to dig into it, because it was really the most simple System 1 issue possible. The roll tilt switch contacts were oxidized so badly they weren't closing the circuit. Cleaned those up and the thing was immediately playable.

super nailgun fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 28, 2021

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Snacksmaniac posted:

It should be three spinning pizzas

I agree. If you’re going to bring back poo poo gimmicks just go full moron.

Four pizzas, one for each turtle. No flippers, just leave scoring up to random spins. Lopsided balls in the shape of turtle shells. Make Orbiter 1 seem like The Addams Family by comparison.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Trailer for TMNT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQXs984WwM8

Looks reminiscent of Tron/X-Men, which I enjoy shooting so whenever I'm able to get to an arcade safely, this'll probably be fun depending on who codes it.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

such a weird license choice. this is probably the coldest the TMNT brand has ever been...and stranger things isnt selling well, either. how about an unlicensed machine? fishtales is one of the greatest of all time and it didn't need branding...

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Fish Tales was released during boom times for pinball, shortly after Addams. IIRC, Williams/Bally also had distributors locked to buy minimums of every pin they made(until Popeye was such a lemon that the distributors revolted, lol). We don't have numbers, but we'd probably see a non-licensed Stern if Black Knight did well, and I think it just did meh for them. Considering that Dialed In was followed up by licensed pins too at JJP, I just don't think there's the numbers there to sell them at the volume that Stern needs.

Also, just anecdotally - nostalgia pins do well at the locations I frequent. One of the big earners I see at an arcade I go to? loving Space Jam, lol.

None of this is relevant right now though.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i always thought cooking would make a great theme for an non-licensed pin. can't recall having seen a cooking-themed pin before

no, black knight did not sell well either (that topper tho, best one in pinball). and ST is doing well on location in terms of taking coins but collectors don't give a poo poo about it so they have a lot to get rid of

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

boar guy posted:

i always thought cooking would make a great theme for an non-licensed pin. can't recall having seen a cooking-themed pin before

Diner might be the closest. Really wish there was one on location around here. Played it so drat much at college in the Spring of 1991.

Jacks Open status: exploded

Yeah, we're out of sandwich bags. No, I don't know what happened.

And apparently I'm going all in on shopping this one out, cause I don't want to admit what I just paid for this. (Shot in the dark email to Ron Webb paid off big.)

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Tony Phillips posted:

And apparently I'm going all in on shopping this one out, cause I don't want to admit what I just paid for this. (Shot in the dark email to Ron Webb paid off big.)

nice dude.

when i bought the F-14 i had a lot of people warning me that cosmetic upgrades wouldn't add value to the machine but hell, it's just fun to make it sweet and the one thing everyone has right now is time

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Clouseau posted:

Fish Tales was released during boom times for pinball, shortly after Addams. IIRC, Williams/Bally also had distributors locked to buy minimums of every pin they made(until Popeye was such a lemon that the distributors revolted, lol). We don't have numbers, but we'd probably see a non-licensed Stern if Black Knight did well, and I think it just did meh for them. Considering that Dialed In was followed up by licensed pins too at JJP, I just don't think there's the numbers there to sell them at the volume that Stern needs.

Also, just anecdotally - nostalgia pins do well at the locations I frequent. One of the big earners I see at an arcade I go to? loving Space Jam, lol.

None of this is relevant right now though.

I can't remember who said it or where (pretty sure someone here ITT) but of all things, South Park was a huge earner for them.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
yeah TMNT definitely a nostalgia choice; the artwork is explicitly based on the Fred Wolf cartoon / Playmates toy designs of the early 90s. Nothing to do with the current Nickelodeon property other than who gets paid.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

gah, my cab stencils still haven't shipped. but everything else is due here by Friday. but the cab is all taped up and stuff. i guess ill just have to exercise self control (?) and wait until the stencils get here and then 3 more days- 1 per coat of paint- to actually play the drat game

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

ha ha welp the board guy emailed and the problem was that the mobo had 7 amp fuses installed where it should have had 2.5 and 4 amp ones. guess that was the problem! $225 to fix the mobo and recap the other two, including parts and shipping. wish this thing hadn't been such a project but at least i'll have a story to tell

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Having oversized fuses doesn't seem like it would cause any issues - just that it would make an issue potentially turn into actual damage instead of just a blown fuse.

Unless I'm missing something?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Jabor posted:

Having oversized fuses doesn't seem like it would cause any issues - just that it would make an issue potentially turn into actual damage instead of just a blown fuse.

Unless I'm missing something?

yes, that's right. also, the bad solenoid on the ramp was due to the fact that the top diverter drive transistor circuit shorted. (edit: it was the power supply fuses that were wrong, not sure if i mentioned this)

still not sure what happened except that the board and fuses appeared somewhat jury rigged? its amazing to me that operators play so fast and loose with something so expensive

i'm kind of beholden to these guys when it comes to logic board issues. i can trace a wire or solder a diode but i can't repair computer parts. i have a feeling that the guy rebuilding my flippers may have caused this issue the last time he worked on the machine since it was okay for several days before that, but he also put 8 hours of wrench time in to it for nothing more than a bottle of Papillon so i'm not complaining (much)

one more edit: sorry for being so E/N in this thread, i'll ease up a little. just excited about my first pin :tipshat:

boar guy fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 29, 2020

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Back in the day they really weren't THAT expensive and arcade equipment was seen as disposable.
So basically once a game was out of warranty/paid off, just field repair to keep it taking money.

Kouerson
Mar 5, 2008

If you die in Canada, you die in real life.

Tony Phillips posted:

Jacks Open fuckin' rules, congrats on the pickup

TMNT looks pretty fun, can't wait another seventeen months to flip it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm not much for EMs, but Jacks Open would be an insta-buy for me, given the spare cash to do so.

That said, at this point it's more if I get the chance to buy a machine rather than when, so

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

boar guy posted:

such a weird license choice. this is probably the coldest the TMNT brand has ever been...and stranger things isnt selling well, either. how about an unlicensed machine? fishtales is one of the greatest of all time and it didn't need branding...
Stern said in an interview some years ago that they don't plan on ever making unlicensed games.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Collateral Damage posted:

Stern said in an interview some years ago that they don't plan on ever making unlicensed games.

It seems like they have two guys doing licensing; one who gets good properties and the other who gets poo poo that nobody cares about by the time they get made.

Kouerson
Mar 5, 2008

If you die in Canada, you die in real life.
Black Knight was unlicensed though, no? I do absolutely understand that if you're looking to make money on location and sell more to operators/certain collectors that licensed themes are always going to be a better way to go for them.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kouerson posted:

Black Knight was unlicensed though, no? I do absolutely understand that if you're looking to make money on location and sell more to operators/certain collectors that licensed themes are always going to be a better way to go for them.
Stern's Black Knight game is licensed from the slot machine company that owns all the Bally and Williams tables and IP nowadays.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Black Knight is a special circumstance, but the end result probably reinforced that unlicensed tables don't sell as well.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

welp, eugene mosh does good work. more expensive than i wanted but my boards are back and my game is 100% again! :) 10/10 would send him boards again

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/642570985

boar guy fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 6, 2020

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
How have Modern Sterns been maintenance wise? Pretty easy to keep going?

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

algebra testes posted:

How have Modern Sterns been maintenance wise? Pretty easy to keep going?

Depending on the game you'll get either old style wires connecting everything or one play field sized electrical board. The older style is easy enough to fix by swapping individual parts or repairing them. The electrical board is as simple as unplugging everything, pulling out the board, swapping in a new one, and plugging everything back in. You could swap LED and other parts on the large board but you'd better be drat good at soldering ity bitty bits.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I am just weighing up whether it's worth paying a bit more for a second hand Iron Man (Original) in terms of easier maintenance then say a Jack Bot or whatever.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

You’re gonna have maintenance either way because they are both pinball machines and all the damned things do is break.

Iron Man will be newer and much simpler mechanical, but Stern basically builds their machines out of industrial cardboard and pot metal so expect to be replacing things long before traditional life expectancy. I’m blown away by some of the poo poo they cheap out on. I end up working on my sterns more than my 90s games, but they don’t tend to need an upfront shop job like older games do so it kinda balances out.

Jack-bot is a pretty simple machine, it’s basically Pinbot but with a decade of debugging and a DMD. So long as it’s not totally roached or has been exposed to battery leakage it’s about as safe of a bet as you can get from a WPC. You may encounter the occasional board issue that you probably wouldn’t on a SAM board set, but the playfield support system, build quality and overall component durability is much higher.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

tonedef131 posted:

You’re gonna have maintenance either way because they are both pinball machines and all the damned things do is break.

had the distinct displeasure yesterday of watching someone else abuse a machine that i've put money and time in to, for the first time. he's a good buddy so i didn't say anything but man. i have no idea how you operators do it. i get too emotionally attached to stuff, i guess

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

algebra testes posted:

I am just weighing up whether it's worth paying a bit more for a second hand Iron Man (Original) in terms of easier maintenance then say a Jack Bot or whatever.

SAM system games (iron man) and WPC games arent too dissimilar in theory of design. SAM games are pretty solid compared to newer sterns.

Iron Man has the monger mech which might be a pain if it messes up but otherwise its pretty simple. Jackbot is about the simplest WPC games. I've had mine apart several times and nothing is too hard to work on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

boar guy posted:

had the distinct displeasure yesterday of watching someone else abuse a machine that i've put money and time in to, for the first time. he's a good buddy so i didn't say anything but man. i have no idea how you operators do it. i get too emotionally attached to stuff, i guess

That’s what most of the collectors say to me but I really do enjoy sharing my work with players who can appreciate it. Most of them do to, and are very respectful. I actually feel bad when I have games sitting at home because I feel like they should be out and being enjoyed by as many people as possible.

Some people aren’t cut out for public play though and can’t control themselves. I mean I get it, pinball is absolutely infuriating. But every time you step up to the table you know exactly how it’s going to end, so you just need to be emotionally prepared for it. I’ve gotten houseballed in play that cost me the championship, but you gotta shake it off and congratulate the guy who just got lucky because that’s just how the silver ball rolls.

We have one local guy who’s one of the best in the state but is an absolute rear end in a top hat whenever he plays. Rage tilts after every drain, cusses out the machine even if there’s a child on the machine next to him and will peel out of the parking lot if he loses. I can’t count how many times I’ve had to kick him out and he’s been banned from other local places. That pisses me off mainly because it reflects so poorly on pinball, especially to casual customers who are just there to drink beer. Someone having an absolute breakdown over losing the game doesn’t make it look very fun. Also thanks to him I have to put slam tilts and security bars on every game to keep the coin mechs from getting knocked lose after I realized he was driving his knee into the door all the time.