Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
To be fair I think most of the summons are essentially useless. You can easily finish the game without ever using a single one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
"For an easy victory, summon Knights of the Round" -every strategy guide

I sincerely hope KOTR makes it into the remake somehow.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I still don't quite get what's with the Japanese leaving off 'Table' at the end of that, aside possibly from character limits and/or really dodgy translations. The one explicitly King Arthur themed beat-em-up does the same thing.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I still don't quite get what's with the Japanese leaving off 'Table' at the end of that, aside possibly from character limits and/or really dodgy translations. The one explicitly King Arthur themed beat-em-up does the same thing.

Knights of the Round'); DROP TABLE Bosses;--

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

PT6A posted:

To be fair I think most of the summons are essentially useless. You can easily finish the game without ever using a single one.

Hades is quite useful against Ruby Weapon but yeah, by the time you get the more powerful summons, you really don't need them.

KOTR is a summon that just takes the piss. Usually by the time you get it you're so overpowered anyway. The first time I got it I was already doing 39996 damage to a single enemy with Cloud and 4*cut

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
WRT "I know nailed it. Moving on."

It feels like there were two people writing the dialogue for this game. One person wrote 95% of it and is a dorky anime-loving hack, while another person wrote 5% of it and is an irreverent comedic genius.

Another example is what the sector 7 weapons vendor says to you if you try to buy a weapon before you do the monster hunting.

As fun as the game is the whole thing feels a little half-baked like they had bigger plans but ran out of money.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Amarcarts posted:

WRT "I know nailed it. Moving on."

It feels like there were two people writing the dialogue for this game. One person wrote 95% of it and is a dorky anime-loving hack, while another person wrote 5% of it and is an irreverent comedic genius.

Another example is what the sector 7 weapons vendor says to you if you try to buy a weapon before you do the monster hunting.

As fun as the game is the whole thing feels a little half-baked like they had bigger plans but ran out of money.

Nojima wrote the original game and the remake, along with others

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005
Finally finished. Been avoiding this thread due to lack of spoilers. I loved it, even though the very end veered perilously close to some kingdom hearts bullshit. I feel like everyone's fallen in love with Aerith now and people will riot if she gets killed later on

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dell_Zincht posted:

Hades is quite useful against Ruby Weapon but yeah, by the time you get the more powerful summons, you really don't need them.

KOTR is a summon that just takes the piss. Usually by the time you get it you're so overpowered anyway. The first time I got it I was already doing 39996 damage to a single enemy with Cloud and 4*cut

Hades with the "add element" option is fantastic. Either it's a giant "gently caress you" every attack or it's a free ribbon.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

zakharov posted:

"For an easy victory, summon Knights of the Round" -every strategy guide

I sincerely hope KOTR makes it into the remake somehow.

When I was a wee youth I hated kotr because it took too loving long. On a whim, when trying to fight something I was told to use kotr on, I tried mime on a limit break and it worked despite it explicitly saying it couldn't. So I just mimed omnislash for the rest of the game while the other two characters in the party did nothing. Eat that, prima

I hate that summon, and the only way I'll like it is if the 'round table' this time is, like, one of those felt poker table roundboys and we just interrupted some supreme beings' poker match and they all stand up in unison and just start punching in a relatively short animation because if they come out one at a time I am going to loving lose it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The summon better be an elaborate, lengthy process of bringing all them out and then suddenly the field is just full of knights wailing on your enemies.

Then they all leave separately and take forever doing so.

This is all I will accept.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

esperterra posted:

The summon better be an elaborate, lengthy process of bringing all them out and then suddenly the field is just full of knights wailing on your enemies.

Then they all leave separately and take forever doing so.

This is all I will accept.

If it doesn't take longer than the fight itself then what is even the point?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
KOTR is great because you win the battle and by the time it's over you can have a real life sandwich in your hand.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Salt Fish posted:

KOTR is great because you win the battle and by the time it's over you can have a real life sandwich in your hand.

Always wanted to try the Ruby Weapon strategy of equipping two master final attack materia to Life 2 and KOTR and then just check back every two hours.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Does slotting kjata + elemental into armor give you resistance to a bunch of stuff? I remember having the combination on someone every playthrough when I was a kid and played through the game about every other month. I don't know if it actually works though

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

Hades with the "add element" option is fantastic. Either it's a giant "gently caress you" every attack or it's a free ribbon.

Unfortunately you actually need the "Added Effect" materia of which there is only one, and it is permanently missable, in the Cave of the Gi.

Guess who missed it this playthrough? :smithicide:

Unfinish3d posted:

Does slotting kjata + elemental into armor give you resistance to a bunch of stuff? I remember having the combination on someone every playthrough when I was a kid and played through the game about every other month. I don't know if it actually works though

No, it does not, unfortunately. The best, IMHO, uses of the Elemental materia are with Alexander (the only source of Holy damage in the game!), Ramuh/Lightning materia (you fight a lot of machines in FF7) or with Choco&Mog/Typhoon (a lot of stuff is weak to wind.)

You can actually go to the status screen to see what elements you have on your weapons and armor.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Knights of the Round should be set to an 80s cartoon intro theme introducing each character.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Agents are GO! posted:

Unfortunately you actually need the "Added Effect" materia of which there is only one, and it is permanently missable, in the Cave of the Gi.

Guess who missed it this playthrough? :smithicide:

No, it does not, unfortunately. The best, IMHO, uses of the Elemental materia are with Alexander (the only source of Holy damage in the game!), Ramuh/Lightning materia (you fight a lot of machines in FF7) or with Choco&Mog/Typhoon (a lot of stuff is weak to wind.)

You can actually go to the status screen to see what elements you have on your weapons and armor.

Chocomog was wind-based in the original?!

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

LadyPictureShow posted:

Chocomog was wind-based in the original?!

Yep, and there's a chance for it to inflict stop, too

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Dell_Zincht posted:

Yep, and there's a chance for it to inflict stop, too

Huh. Serves me right for always benching that one Immediately once I got cooler looking summons.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

LadyPictureShow posted:

Huh. Serves me right for always benching that one Immediately once I got cooler looking summons.

I used to always keep it equipped as I liked randomly stopping bosses.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Here's a fun little bit of trivia about the original game you might not know:

In the grassy parts of the Icicle Inn area, you can encounter an enemy called a Trickplay (looks a bit like a squirrel sitting in a nest of sorts.)

One of its attacks that it has a 4/23 chance of using is called Gold Mountain, where one party member is attacked by a shower of golden tokens. Every time it uses this attack, 800gil is added to the amount it drops when defeated. If you have the patience (and you haven't already sold a mastered All materia) you can stay in the fight until a stupid amount of gil is awarded afterwards.

(Just don't go into the fight if any of your party's level is divisible by 4 and they don't have a ribbon equipped, as it also uses Level 4 Suicide.)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dell_Zincht posted:

In the grassy parts of the Icicle Inn area, you can encounter an enemy called a Trickplay (looks a bit like a squirrel sitting in a nest of sorts.)

One of its attacks that it has a 4/23 chance of using is called Gold Mountain, where one party member is attacked by a shower of golden tokens. Every time it uses this attack, 800gil is added to the amount it drops when defeated. If you have the patience (and you haven't already sold a mastered All materia) you can stay in the fight until a stupid amount of gil is awarded afterwards.

(Just don't go into the fight if any of your party's level is divisible by 4 and they don't have a ribbon equipped, as it also uses Level 4 Suicide.)

Can you manipulate it and then just make it cast that over and over again?

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

Dell_Zincht posted:

I did not know that! One of the things I like best about all of these old games (FFs in particular) is just all this arcane poo poo they slipped in there.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Folks, I've thought about it, and in no particular order these are the best tracks in the game.

"Collapsed Expressway"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPFqQRMUfis

"Midnight Rendezvous"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCJ1JJtwL4c

"Smash Em Rip Em"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye5I8-fJiAw

JENOVA Quickening, Part 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFKPFOuC5FU

"Airbuster"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ehqNwxVGn0

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Soundtrack is being released on Wednesday, I am hoping they're going to release it on digital the same day, Square has precedent in that they did release all their prior music already on streaming.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Solice Kirsk posted:

iirc mu family can't be manipulated, and if they can golden shower doesn't appear on the manip movelist

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Solice Kirsk posted:

Sadly not, but 4/23 is good enough that it uses it fairly frequently.

It also has an attack which actually heals a party member, Hot Springs I think it's called.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'm close to getting my Master world to Hardmode too, though I've been distracted by tearing my starting hovel down and building a death fortress in its place, but is the extra defense on Molten armour better than Jungle even on a caster loadout?

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Short answer: no, the defense can be made up for by accessories pre hardmode
Long answer: the Terraria thread is over there.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm p sure you can literally make Cloud in Terraria, though the not-Buster Sword is a garbage weapon

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

this sounds like it should be the title theme for a pikmin game

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Vincent Valentine posted:

Short answer: no, the defense can be made up for by accessories pre hardmode
Long answer: the Terraria thread is over there.

The long answer is shorter than the short answer though.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

zakharov posted:

Folks, I've thought about it, and in no particular order these are the best tracks in the game.

"Collapsed Expressway"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPFqQRMUfis

"Midnight Rendezvous"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCJ1JJtwL4c

"Smash Em Rip Em"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye5I8-fJiAw

JENOVA Quickening, Part 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFKPFOuC5FU

"Airbuster"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ehqNwxVGn0

I agree with this list but give me Scrapyard Scramble as well in the mix

https://youtu.be/WIiLMDR11no

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

TontoCorazon posted:

Soundtrack is being released on Wednesday, I am hoping they're going to release it on digital the same day, Square has precedent in that they did release all their prior music already on streaming.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1265512084021956610

HURRY UP SPOTIFY

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Goddamn you had my hopes up for a second there.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Dr. Eldarion posted:

FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE Original Soundtrack $18.99 on Google Play

This is like 40% off what it's showing up for on Amazon or iTunes. Best game soundtrack in... forever?

Also, if you have survey credit this should be applicable!

Edit: got it for $11.72 after survey credit :toot:

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I’m thinking this will show up on Spotify on Friday. But, yeah the Google Play deal is mighty tempting.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

The Oppressed remix legit sounds super good. When it transitions to the the fast paced part is good but the remix of the original is so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

If there's one downside to my choice of GPlay Music over Spotify it's the lack of video game soundtracks tbqh. I think the only official Final Fantasy thing I can stream is Distant Worlds, which owns but c'mon. At least I already own most of the ones I like to listen to regularly!

And at least DMC5's OST is available to stream. Gotta pull my devil trigger all night long bb

Though this may just be a Canada issue idk.