Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Scorpia's power was to be everyone's friend almost instantly. Which doesn't require a gem to generate it. She's just naturally great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

AlternateNu posted:

Karn is colorless because he's also an artifact. 90% of the creatures that make artifacts are U/x. Emily would be a colorless artifact. Darla would be a colorless artifact vehicle. Entrapta would be mono-U. (You could also argue Izzet based on how bug gently caress random she is with her experiments.)

And no loving way Shadow Weaver is Rakdos. She doesn't do sadism or physical torture. She's the big plans, manipulate from behind the scenes, power-at-any-cost type.

These are... convincing arguments. :hai:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

entrapta longgame with robot army causing the singularity with her lab partner harem (a true nerd's dream)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

tsob posted:

I barely remember the show. I do recall absolutely loving the first two episodes, and that it created a lot of hype because it presented an interesting take on the older cartoon where the sides were more morally ambiguous, and had some strong characterization for the main cast right out the gate. Then I remember the show almost immediately jumping in to more stand alone episodes that were pretty rote, and getting increasingly bored over the course of the first season. To the point where I'm pretty sure I never watched beyond the two part mid-season episodes establishing the origin of the Sword of Omens through Lion-O's ancestor, along with the Mumra etc, because it annoyed me that it framed the entire thing by having Lion-O's spirit inhabit his ancestor and bumble about without any idea of what he was doing for the vast majority of the episodes and not giving us any real insight in to his ancestor when so much of those episodes revolved around the guy.

I do remember enjoying one or two of the following episodes. There was one involving the transience of life involving some flower people or something? That's about the extent of my memories of it though. Was there some homosexual characters in it, to say you brought it up in reference to talk about couples? The only relationships that I even remember were Lion-O and Tygra competing for Cheetara's attention, and her not even being that bothered about it because she had some priest or spy thing she was concentrating on as a servant to the former kingdom or something?

Man that show tanked fast. The pilot created so much hype, and I remember reading stories about how the entire season was planned out like one long movie etc. and then the actual season came and went with a wet fart.

Yeah, in concept and in summary, it was a really cool series, but over the entire season, it just sorta plodded along as a journey sort of series incorporating about as much of the original Thundercats series as they could without really developing the characters or keeping the stakes up too much. It was a series that probably would've worked better with a shorter episode count to force them to get a move on (so to speak) with the plot or just find a way to pace everything better.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, Scorpia is already one of the two physically strongest characters in the show alongside She-Ra. She doesn't need magic for that. Earth powers might work well for 'scorpion lady from a desert', though.

I second Sandbender Scorpia. That'd rule.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Doesn't She-Ra throw mountains in the 80s cartoon? I kind of wish they managed to sneak it in a dream sequence or something.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I mean, she already hopped around space destroying fighters with negligible effort and made a space station in to a tree from ground level. She's pretty loving powerful.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

amigolupus posted:

Doesn't She-Ra throw mountains in the 80s cartoon? I kind of wish they managed to sneak it in a dream sequence or something.

She does wild stuff like that constantly in the 80s cartoon, yeah. There's an amazingly ludicrous sequence in one episode where she uses the sword to cut a lake out of the ground by the lakebed, then picks the lake up and hurls it so that the water spills out to extinguish a burning town, the hollowed out lakebed landing without incident on the other side.

Reboot She-Ra is definitely less ludicrously powerful. The reboot of course has a lot of other estimable qualities, but I'd have loved to see some mountain-throwing in the final season.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Android Blues posted:

She does wild stuff like that constantly in the 80s cartoon, yeah. There's an amazingly ludicrous sequence in one episode where she uses the sword to cut a lake out of the ground by the lakebed, then picks the lake up and hurls it so that the water spills out to extinguish a burning town, the hollowed out lakebed landing without incident on the other side.

Reboot She-Ra is definitely less ludicrously powerful. The reboot of course has a lot of other estimable qualities, but I'd have loved to see some mountain-throwing in the final season.

That lake thing seems legit like something Adora would've tried before someone had to talk her down to a more reasonable option.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

tsob posted:

I mean, she already hopped around space destroying fighters with negligible effort and made a space station in to a tree from ground level. She's pretty loving powerful.

Yeah, the original First Ones sword She-Ra wouldn't have come close, but hammerspace sword She-Ra could probably chuck a mountain with a lot of effort (and no Perfuma to stop her)

pentyne posted:

That lake thing seems legit like something Adora would've tried before someone had to talk her down to a more reasonable option.

I love how, outside of tactical planning, Adora is an unsubtle meathead.

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 24, 2020

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

tsob posted:

Scorpia's power was to be everyone's friend almost instantly. Which doesn't require a gem to generate it. She's just naturally great.

Scorpia's superpower is hugs :glomp:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Chokes McGee posted:

I love how, outside of tactical planning, Adora is an unsubtle meathead.

I love this too because it's a great way to make it so that Catra isn't just obviously overpowered by She-Ra. Nobody knows Adora better than Catra and she uses that meatheadedness to her advantage every time they fight.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Elephant Ambush posted:

I love this too because it's a great way to make it so that Catra isn't just obviously overpowered by She-Ra. Nobody knows Adora better than Catra and she uses that meatheadedness to her advantage every time they fight.

Catra is actually pretty scrappy in the series and constantly owns everyone. She's not necessarily strongest but she's tactically sneaky as gently caress.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

AlternateNu posted:

Karn is colorless because he's also an artifact. 90% of the creatures that make artifacts are U/x. Emily would be a colorless artifact. Darla would be a colorless artifact vehicle. Entrapta would be mono-U. (You could also argue Izzet based on how bug gently caress random she is with her experiments.)

And no loving way Shadow Weaver is Rakdos. She doesn't do sadism or physical torture. She's the big plans, manipulate from behind the scenes, power-at-any-cost type.

Urza was W though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Here's my hot take on colors:

She-ra: W/R
Catra: R
Glimmer: W
Bow: U/w
Perfuma: G/w
Mermista: U/g
Frosta: R/U
Entrapta: U
Scorpia: R/g
Shadow Weaver: B/u
Hordak: B
Horde Prime: B/W

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
oh gods what have I done :gonk:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Is this magic cards?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Chokes McGee posted:

Catra is actually pretty scrappy in the series and constantly owns everyone. She's not necessarily strongest but she's tactically sneaky as gently caress.

She's also arguably carrying the deadliest weapons in the series in her fingers and toes.

She can slice through metal doors with them. According to Octavia, Catra clawed Octavia's eye out when she was six, (And then Adora and Catra laughed at her dumb face, which was bad, but well, six-year-olds raised by Shadow Weaver in the Horde.)

I don't think any other injury mentioned during the series does permanent maiming damage to a living character, but I could be wrong.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

T-man posted:

Is this magic cards?

Yes.

I forgot Netossa and Spinnerella who's U/W and G/R respectively.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Urza was W though.

Urza was technically 5 color like all early walkers, but he was primarily U, especially before he sparked. Look up his newest card.

Xelkelvos posted:

Here's my hot take on colors:

She-ra: W/R - Sure if you don't want to differentiate between Adora and She-ra.
Catra: R - More like RRR.
Glimmer: W - You could add a touch of B after her interactions w/ Shadow Weaver since she was so concerned about having enough power to help her friends.
Bow: U/w - I'd flip them. W/u.
Perfuma: G/w - Perfuma is mono-G. The only part of W she encompasses is fellowship, and that's a secondary aspect of G anyway especially when focused on the nature aspect.
Mermista: U/g - I would almost make her Temur (U/g/r) because she got pissed very easily.
Frosta: R/U - Yeah. Though for completely different reasons than Entrapta.
Entrapta: U - After considering it more, I'd say U/R. She's very Izzet, almost to a T. She holds knowledge and discovery absurdly high to the detriment of everything else.
Scorpia: R/g - I'd say she's almost Naya focusing on W or G for the companionship aspect with a twinge of R for the elemental lightning. She isn't very emotional or hot headed but cares alot about her friends.
Shadow Weaver: B/u - Agreed
Hordak: B - Agreed.
Horde Prime: B/W - Agreed. I might even say he's Esper, but definitely B/W primarily.

Comments noted.

Seahawk - Mono-R

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Up for grabs:

Entrapta's reaction to hearing that Glimmer needs to be rescued is to smile and blink until people remind her who Glimmer is. Just like she did in season 1.

Maybe if Glimmer carried First One tech like Adora, or regular tech like Bow, Entrapta might remember who she is.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
LMAO at the second one. Entrapta :allears:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

Maybe if Glimmer carried First One tech like Adora, or regular tech like Bow, Entrapta might remember who she is.

Entrapta and Bow's dads would either get along swimmingly because of their mutual interest of First Ones tech, or go to war because Entrapta wants to take apart and tinker with the tech, while Bow's dads wants to archive and preserve it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I got the idea that our heroes are all like college age, so like late teens or so.

My favorite thing is Catra leaping into Adora's lap. Catra acting like a kitty is something I wish I had seen more.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

twistedmentat posted:

I got the idea that our heroes are all like college age, so like late teens or so.

My favorite thing is Catra leaping into Adora's lap. Catra acting like a kitty is something I wish I had seen more.

I like how after she joined the Squad everyone gave her poo poo about being an adorable kitty and rather than flip out her response was basically "y...you idiots! :blush:"

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Netossa spritzing Catra to demonstrate her weakness.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Despite having been on this site for 7+ years, I'm still too much of a coward to go to some places and say things, is there any chance people know of any podcasts talking about this show?

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Applewhite posted:

Netossa spritzing Catra to demonstrate her weakness.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

I just watched this episode today.

Awesome.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

RareAcumen posted:

Despite having been on this site for 7+ years, I'm still too much of a coward to go to some places and say things, is there any chance people know of any podcasts talking about this show?

not that i know of, but rgd is perfectly safe so long as you never go to the chapo thread

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

RareAcumen posted:

I got you, pal

It's kind of a slow podcast because they only talk about one episode at a time and sometimes divert hard onto weird tangents, but they've done interviews with several people who worked on the show, including Noelle. It's a pretty decent listen.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Urza was technically 5 color like all early walkers, but he was primarily U, especially before he sparked. Look up his newest card.

He could use all colors like all old-school Planeswalker but his original affinity is stated to be white in the Urza books. Iirc Sera confirms it. His descendant Jodah shares the affinity.

I always though Blue was a better fit.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

T-man posted:

not that i know of, but rgd is perfectly safe so long as you never go to the chapo thread

They've been good on giving me recommendations in the past but I still can't help being anxious about dumb things that don't matter in the long run.

CuwiKhons posted:

I got you, pal

It's kind of a slow podcast because they only talk about one episode at a time and sometimes divert hard onto weird tangents, but they've done interviews with several people who worked on the show, including Noelle. It's a pretty decent listen.

Cool, thanks a lot!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

I thought so too until the future vision where they all looked different.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Soonmot posted:

In my headcannon "Scorpia" was named by Bo and Glimmer after her "aunt" and they're going to teenage Scorpia's ball

Mostly because it means Adora and Catra are still together well into middle age which is extra heartwarming :unsmith:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Soonmot posted:

That had solid "ten years later" going on.

Also short hair Catra is what I'm all about.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I marathoned the show over the last two days BECAUSE I was spoiled on one of the final twist and it's great.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

CaptainCrunch posted:

Right? I thought for sure with that kiss that they both would emerge in that beam of golden light all armored and glorious n’ poo poo.

Yeah ok this roiled around in my head all week until I broke down and dashed this out just because I couldn't not.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CaptainCrunch posted:

Yeah ok this roiled around in my head all week until I broke down and dashed this out just because I couldn't not.

Someone send this to Noelle immediately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

CaptainCrunch posted:

Excellent, my good sir