Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

:siren: Actual golf in The Match is about to start. :siren: It's on TNT.

Because I haven't been able to bet on anything since the tennis Australian Open 4 months ago, I threw $10 on Phil/Brady since they had much better odds even though I think Tiger/Peyton will win.

Peyton is a 6.4 while Brady is an 8.1, and this is Tiger's home course.

I just wasted $10 didn't I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kolby
Oct 29, 2004
I got Tiger/Peyton. Anyone wanna go platinum vs Platinum? I need action

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

36/54 holes down. Shot a 96 today, had a horrible start (shot a 53 on the front 9!) but really cleaned my game up towards the end. I bet I'll be sore tomorrow.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Phil breaking down that pitch shot was gold

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Phil is absolutely insane with wedges.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Peyton’s comments are the best part of this so far.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I don’t believe for one minute Tom is anywhere near a single digit handicap.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mattfl posted:

I don’t believe for one minute Tom is anywhere near a single digit handicap.
I haven't played golf in over 2 years and I'd bet my entire net worth that I could beat Brady.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Ahahaha that chuck comment.

E: also loving JT in this.

Jovial Cow fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 24, 2020

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Lol Chuck saying he could take Brady. I believe it lol

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

lol holy poo poo

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I take everything back, Tom Brady could turn PGA pro tomorrow.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Lol this is actually fantastic. Brooooooooks.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

This is so much better than last week.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Lol Tiger

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jovial Cow posted:

Lol this is actually fantastic. Brooooooooks.
Koekpa is donating to his own charity though. Lame.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

It's almost like Tom was down a comically large amount in a Big Game and is mounting some type of comeback

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Team Tiger because gently caress Tom

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Ahahaha JT dunking on chuck.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Man imagine if live golf was a fourth this fun any given week. I'm sure the tour is going to have tons of helpful takeaways after this match. :eng99:

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I can almost assure you they will take nothing away from this

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah my sarcasm probably wasn't explicit enough.

It'll probably be like, "Wow we need more celebrity commentators. Let's get Bill Murray in here for the PGA Championship."

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Holy poo poo Manning

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Wow way to deny 100,000 meals Tiger.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

What does Brady do with his left foot every time right before he putts?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

mattfl posted:

What does Brady do with his left foot every time right before he putts?

I don't know but it's probably some form of cheating

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Just finished watching the recording since I was playing golf yesterday afternoon (in carts with plexiglass dividers so people could share them, lol) and that was a ton more entertaining than the Taylormade skins match a week ago. It would be pretty cool to get similar stuff like this in the offseason, all the mic and camera tech they use now makes a huge difference. Peyton and JT both had great personalities and comments.

We need Tiger/Lebron vs Phil/MJ next or something equally ridiculous. Maybe Smoltz and Glavine since they're both legit scratch+ golfers these days?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I will say that was the most fun I've ever had watching golf. It was entertaining from start to finish. I cannot wait for the PGA to take absolutely none of the lessons learned to make watching golf more bearable!

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Suprfli6 posted:

Just finished watching the recording since I was playing golf yesterday afternoon (in carts with plexiglass dividers so people could share them, lol) and that was a ton more entertaining than the Taylormade skins match a week ago. It would be pretty cool to get similar stuff like this in the offseason, all the mic and camera tech they use now makes a huge difference. Peyton and JT both had great personalities and comments.

We need Tiger/Lebron vs Phil/MJ next or something equally ridiculous. Maybe Smoltz and Glavine since they're both legit scratch+ golfers these days?

Tiger & MJ vs. John Daly & Charles Barkley

nerox
May 20, 2001
Tiger vs. Peyton.... but its an executive par 3 course.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It did awesome ratings

Awful Announcing posted:

The Turner Sports live broadcast also delivered tremendous television ratings, averaging 5.8 million viewers across TNT, TBS, TruTV, and HLN. That makes it the most-watched golf event in cable television history, topping the first round of the 2010 Masters on ESPN (4.9 million viewers). The event — which had a delayed start due to rain — peaked with an average of 6.3 million viewers from 5:45 to 6 p.m. ET.

The Match II blew away the ratings for last week’s TaylorMade Driving Relief charity skins match, which averaged 2.35 million viewers across NBC networks. It even averaged more viewers than the final rounds of last year’s PGA Championship (5.0 million viewers; CBS) and British Open (3.7 million viewers; NBC).

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
People ragging on Brady were right. His handicap of 8.4 uses 20 scores dating back to May 2014. In his last three rounds before the match, he had one over 100.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I do not understand vanity handicaps at all. I get why some cheating bastard might sandbag, but what does a vanity handicap get you except humiliation?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ElGroucho posted:

I do not understand vanity handicaps at all. I get why some cheating bastard might sandbag, but what does a vanity handicap get you except humiliation?

At least his was honest as far as the technicality of it. He had so few rounds the handicap couldn't adjust up enough to match his inactivity. But, no one should report he had an 8 handicap without the caveat.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah that's one of those "well technically true, but..." things

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
First tee time, 620 am. Shot a nice, stable 77, but played from short tees with the two ball I was joined with.

IMG_20200528_054308 by B. B., on Flickr

Both pretty good golfers, both likely 12 or so handicap, nothing crazy bad about either...but the one guy hit a tee shot on an uphill 340 yard par 4 310 yards. He was decently accurate, too. Still don't know why we played from 5500 yards. Worked for me, since I hit 5 iron off the tee quite a bit, and was thin with irons all day, so really suffered no penalty from technically bad tee shots.

Hit driver spectacularly. A bit short for me (I'm trying to dial back to stop a pull/hook I've been repeating on the range), but drat straight. On the driveable par 4 10th hole, I hit a thin 7 to my normal layup, and then hit a found proV1 with my driver right over the pin and just over the green.

Couple of ugly double bogeys on easy par 5s where I hosed up the tee shot being too conservative.

Hitting foam balls on a sensor pad inside the house has not helped. I'm going to move to the garage soon, with real balls and a net and see if I can get meaningful practice.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 28, 2020

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
nice photo

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Would you guys be willing to critique my swing if I posted a video of it here? It feels like a mess and I think it's holding me back from consistently getting into the double digits. I've only been playing for about a year and a half now so I have no idea what the hell I'm looking at to see if something is right / wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Kirios posted:

Would you guys be willing to critique my swing if I posted a video of it here? It feels like a mess and I think it's holding me back from consistently getting into the double digits. I've only been playing for about a year and a half now so I have no idea what the hell I'm looking at to see if something is right / wrong.

Post it, we may fail horribly but feedback is feedback