Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

lol what's that one awesome Gould in the later seasons that really hates his rear end

The one that tortures him with knives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peragus
Sep 13, 2011

Watching McKay and Mrs. Miller and Meredith's sister has a better character in one episode than the majority of female characters in all of stargate

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

shes amazing i love her

the actress seems cool too. the stargate atlantis people are some of the few people i ever looked up on twitter. i like that they all seem to be friends irl :shrug: its nice

Peragus
Sep 13, 2011

I don't know much about the actors, but it's sweet that they're all friends.

Finished the episode and the rest of the team pretend they found Rod creepy to make Rodney feel better :kimchi:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Statutory Ape posted:

lol what's that one awesome Gould in the later seasons that really hates his rear end

The one that tortures him with knives

Ba'al.

As in "bocce".

Also, McKay's sister is actually played by David Hewlett's sister Kate.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I've not seen much of the stargates, but what I've seen it seems legit. One episode involved Dom DeLuise as some sort of Alien who was exploring the multiverse by riding around in people's minds and sharing their experiences. Another involved Dan Castellaneta, who for some reason was sharing the mind of Richard Dean Anderson's character and it was sorta driving him insane with the stories and the high stakes drama. In the end, he's vindicated that his visions are true...and we learn Richard Dean Anderson has been sharing memories from Castellaneta's life and been enjoying how normal and chill Dan's life is

Also apparently post Farscape Stargate cast Ben Browder AND Claudia Black as characters? Not really sure, but like I said, legit

Peragus
Sep 13, 2011

Claudia Black's character, Vala, shows up in season 8, guests in 9, and becomes a regular in 10. Ben Browder (Mitchell) joins as a regular in 9.

Never saw Farscape, but I really liked Vala and Mitchell was alright. You'll probably get a kick out of the episode '200' if you get to that. It has a pretty funny Farscape homage.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

lol i love how hes just ok with having the barbers memories bc it relaxes him and hes just so beyond trying to figure that poo poo out anymore

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Peragus posted:

Never saw Farscape

you should remedy this asap, Farscape is top tier

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Is Daniel a god this week?

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
I remember him getting really ripped around season 8 I think that's when he truly becomes a god.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

There's a standalone episode, Entity, in season 4 of SG-1, that is probably in my short list of essential hours of sci-fi television. The premise is that they inadvertently threaten a civilization of either AIs or simply electronic-based lifeforms with their radio transmissions, so one comes through the gate and starts taking over base systems, and ultimately takes control of Carter.

The scene in particular where Daniel is reassuring 'Carter' that it was all a big mistake and they'll never send so much as a hint of a radio transmission their way again, and O'Neill breaks in all "The gently caress we won't, you let her go right now or we'll turn the Stargate into the main transmitter for Radio Free gently caress You" is both chilling and completely incredible, as is Daniel's insistence afterwards that, even though the alien used their (his) explorers' curiosity against them, that trying to make peaceful contact wasn't the wrong thing to have done.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

A cool think about Farscape is Critchen is a scientist so the approach to things is not just shoot poo poo. If I had one complaint about the show is that the concept of taking away someones paint was really popular among the writers and was used a lot and treated as an amazing god like ability.

I really like the Fargate seasons. It was a good shakeup of the show, and I wish It had lasted a bit longer. I did like the joke from the early part of the seasons about how Ben Browder and Michael Shanks are both handsome in the exact same way.

Its really neat at how they build the universe. Normally an episode is they go somewhere where people are just like some ancient culture from earth live, fight a Goa'uld, either Carter or Jackson uses their science to win the day and Teal'c and Jack run interference. Slowly little bits are added, we get hints of the Ancients, and the Asgard get mentioned. I love that last one because when you see "Thor" for the first time, you can see the hints of who he is really.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

docbeard posted:

There's a standalone episode, Entity, in season 4 of SG-1, that is probably in my short list of essential hours of sci-fi television. The premise is that they inadvertently threaten a civilization of either AIs or simply electronic-based lifeforms with their radio transmissions, so one comes through the gate and starts taking over base systems, and ultimately takes control of Carter.

The scene in particular where Daniel is reassuring 'Carter' that it was all a big mistake and they'll never send so much as a hint of a radio transmission their way again, and O'Neill breaks in all "The gently caress we won't, you let her go right now or we'll turn the Stargate into the main transmitter for Radio Free gently caress You" is both chilling and completely incredible, as is Daniel's insistence afterwards that, even though the alien used their (his) explorers' curiosity against them, that trying to make peaceful contact wasn't the wrong thing to have done.

Hammonds "you're drat right we will" is great too.

Peragus
Sep 13, 2011

I've been skipping around episodes on my stargate rewatch and early SG-1 is part tense since they don't have the crazy tech they get in the later seasons and also part goofy because 90s tv. It's supposed to be tragic, but I'm just laughing watching Daniel's parents getting comically killed over and over again by a museum display.

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I've always planned to. It's been on my increasingly long to-watch list for years.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.
Been watching SG-1 for the first time and got a major lol out of an exchange where Hammond says "Colonel, America is not in the habit of interfering with other people's affairs" and O'neill gives him a weird look and says "Since when?"

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

lol read that in their voices, tyvm

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Did you all know that the humor in Stargate was basically put there by Richard Dean Anderson? One of the conditions he had for taking the job was to turn his character into less of a depressed sadsack like the movie and make him more of the sarcastic rear end in a top hat we all know and love.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Stargate would have been really different if they tried it serious all the time

They were gonna need a lot more boobs

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Statutory Ape posted:

Stargate would have been really different if they tried it serious all the time

They were gonna need a lot more boobs

The full frontal nudity in the first episode was always surprising.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

The first season was on HBO so it was pretty much required. Season 2+ moved over to Syfy.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

The first season was on HBO so it was pretty much required. Season 2+ moved over to Syfy.

(Showtime)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

I remember from the DVD commentary of that episode that everyone involved was so loving embarrassed about that.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

It was later than s2 that they moved,too. S6 maybe

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Statutory Ape posted:

It was later than s2 that they moved,too. S6 maybe

Yeah - the first five seasons were Showtime - the other 5 are Sci-fi.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Didn't Jack say poo poo or gently caress at one point too?

Something I liked about the show is they had a good excuse for why earth weapons were effective against the Jaffa, because Goa'uld tech was made to intimidate and scare people, not be efficient.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

it was pretty cool to watch the system lords try to adapt to the humans just like the humans were X-Coming their way thru the system lords

as a kid that also played a shitload of xcom back then the parallels did not go unnoticed. SG1 did exactly what youd do in that game lol. pick up the enemy poo poo and bring it home to figure it out then use it against them

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Something I liked about the show is they had a good excuse for why earth weapons were effective against the Jaffa, because Goa'uld tech was made to intimidate and scare people, not be efficient.

Still doesnt make sense why they all wear chain mail when they keep all human planets exactly at bow and arrow lvls of technology while also only ever fighting other rival jaffa.

It's like storm trooper armor...doesnt really protect you against anything.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

SG-1 is pretty great sci-fi that knew not to take itself too seriously. There's a big lack of that today.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

banned from Starbucks posted:

Still doesnt make sense why they all wear chain mail when they keep all human planets exactly at bow and arrow lvls of technology while also only ever fighting other rival jaffa.

It's like storm trooper armor...doesnt really protect you against anything.

Because before Earth, there was no need for anything more fancy than chain mail against a bunch of peasants.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

The two episode arc Heroes is probably my favorite of the entire show. The normally lighthearted tone of the show amplified Dr. Frasier's death for me and brought me to tears.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Peachfart posted:

Because before Earth, there was no need for anything more fancy than chain mail against a bunch of peasants.

But...chainmail doesnt protect against arrows.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

twistedmentat posted:

"This is a weapon of War."
"This is a weapon of Terror."

I love Stargate, but by far my favorite thing was the continuity, they developed and adapted, and they didn't forget about what happened in the last episode.
I cant count how many times on other shows would they would face a problem that could be easily solved by some doodad or whatsit they found in a previous episod, but on SG1 they were like "Lets go talk to that god we met last year and see if they can help."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bucnasti posted:

I love Stargate, but by far my favorite thing was the continuity, they developed and adapted, and they didn't forget about what happened in the last episode.
I cant count how many times on other shows would they would face a problem that could be easily solved by some doodad or whatsit they found in a previous episod, but on SG1 they were like "Lets go talk to that god we met last year and see if they can help."

And the fact that they kept it going across three different shows too.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Statutory Ape posted:

it was pretty cool to watch the system lords try to adapt to the humans just like the humans were X-Coming their way thru the system lords

as a kid that also played a shitload of xcom back then the parallels did not go unnoticed. SG1 did exactly what youd do in that game lol. pick up the enemy poo poo and bring it home to figure it out then use it against them

It's p great. A lot of scifi falls into the trap of "science means just accepting that things are the way they are with no curiosity" and that's weird and silly.

This is...very wrong, and I don't know where you got the impression that arrows are lightsabers.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

As other have said, chainmail will, plus it was chain and plate. And not only that, made from some kind of space metal. Plus Jaffa have a healing factor so getting poked with some sticks isn't going to put them out of action as much as a dozen 9mm from a p90.
I am pretty sure SG1 is what put p90s on the cultural map.

Bucnasti posted:

That was great. And you can see their tech develop more and more because they're learning more and more until the end humans have intergalatic space ships.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

P90s dont shoot 9mm. That's the whole reason they stopped using MP5s in the show

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

P90s dont shoot 9mm. That's the whole reason they stopped using MP5s in the show

I'm pretty sure the show cared 0% about the bullet they were shooting. M16s bounced off the armor in the first episode only for the Jaffa to get wrecked by mp5s. They went to the p90 because it looks cool and spacey.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

lol, they did care because firing 9mm blanks was more expensive at time of shooting than firing 5.7 blanks, or whatever those p90s were firing

that is what i have heard and honestly i believe it :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Statutory Ape posted:

lol, they did care because firing 9mm blanks was more expensive at time of shooting than firing 5.7 blanks, or whatever those p90s were firing

that is what i have heard and honestly i believe it :shrug:

I think it was the other way around, they had to import the P90 rounds and make their own blanks, and importing the rounds was a hassle because they’re considered armor piercing and strictly controlled. That’s why they switched back to MP5s for half a season at one point, they couldn’t get the ammo.