Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah but in Morty’s defense he does save the rat from getting shot by Rick in the beginning so honestly he’s a good kid I call it a wash.

Also the 9 mile hike through the arctic to save all their lives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also 'Cannibalism Is A Choice'.

That sign was just plain evil. The angry mob should have gone after the fucker that made that sign and not Morty.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I forgot about that, though I feel the real funny part would have been an entirely different cannibalism incident.

The funny part is that absolutely was a video game thing where you actually get engaged with the story and forget to save scum and then your dad hits the wrong button and you lose it all. (yes, that happened to me, I think we've all been there. RIP BOOMFIST, my unarmed/explosives FNV run)

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

That sign was just plain evil. The angry mob should have gone after the fucker that made that sign and not Morty.

I made the sign, the writers told me to do it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Typical posted:

wow this is the same guy who made the signs for the "god hates you" guy in s1 really makes you think :crossarms:

please post more concept art :ohdear:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I forgot about that, though I feel the real funny part would have been an entirely different cannibalism incident.

The funny part is that absolutely was a video game thing where you actually get engaged with the story and forget to save scum and then your dad hits the wrong button and you lose it all. (yes, that happened to me, I think we've all been there. RIP BOOMFIST, my unarmed/explosives FNV run)

I thought the funnier gag was the reveal that the timeline when Morty got back together with his ~soul mate~ still existed and Rick could have just sent Morty back to it or reunited them but :lol:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

drat straight!

As we obviously live in a deterministic universe it should of read "Cannabis is an outcome that sometimes occur from clockwork nature of our universe".

Good catch Omoly, most glad you were inevitably going to catch it!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Typical posted:

I meant in universe! geez!

But seriously, the writer who told you to make that sign is great with dark humor and you do terrific work on the show.

dr_rat posted:

drat straight!

As we obviously live in a deterministic universe it should of read "Cannabis is an outcome that sometimes occur from clockwork nature of our universe".

Good catch Omoly, most glad you were inevitably going to catch it!

.....I gotta be honest, I fully don't understand what's happening here.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Glorious autocorrect.

Now I'm picturing a stoner cannibal horror movie. Call it... The Munchies.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Typical posted:

How did you manage to slip in a sign with Mharti from Doc and Mharti on it?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

also: I see I'm not the only one seeing this episode showing that Morty has inherited a lot of traits from Jerry- including his predatory tendencies hiding behind a pathetic facade. Maybe a lot of things could be excused by how Morty is A: a teenager whose impulse control and moral centre aren't fully developed, and 2: clearly having been influenced negatively by Rick and all the trauma from their adventures; but that's probably still not enough of an excuse for what he gets up to on his own.

Morty is responsible for the Cronenberg-world. He's a monster.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That’s a bad read.

Rick making a love potion that could accidentally mutate the human genome globally if exposed to the most commonly found virus on the planet and then giving it to his 14 year old grandson to drug a girl at school instead of, you know, not doing that, is a bigger problem. It’s not just dangerous, it’s totally careless.

Rick has ended no fewer than 5 entire civilizations by my count since the show started (Kronenburg world, battery world inside battery world, face huggers, time snakes, heist episode), he is always the bad guy.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

yeah but how many did he save by getting Planet Music cancelled with his tight beats

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Bust Rodd posted:

That’s a bad read.

Rick making a love potion that could accidentally mutate the human genome globally if exposed to the most commonly found virus on the planet and then giving it to his 14 year old grandson to drug a girl at school instead of, you know, not doing that, is a bigger problem. It’s not just dangerous, it’s totally careless.

Rick has ended no fewer than 5 entire civilizations by my count since the show started (Kronenburg world, battery world inside battery world, face huggers, time snakes, heist episode), he is always the bad guy.

He's just a libertarian, but isn't dumb. Meaning he's actually just evil.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Bust Rodd posted:

That’s a bad read.

The 14yo asking for a date rape drug might not be as bad as the quintuple Hitler but its still bad. Two things at different levels of bad can still both be bad.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yeah, the whole point of this episode is demonstrating as clearly as possible that Rick is basically an evil genie who gives Morty what he asks for with horrific side-effects he doesn't bother to make sure Morty knows and then blames him for using it the way he's obviously going to. Also that Rick gets absurdly defensive of usually his silliest inventions.

Rick's whole role here is basically the cartoon nutty professor who invents some whizz-bang new doohickey which he hands off to the dopey protagonist who doesn't understand the side effects and Hilarity Ensues, except he drat well should know better and just uses his actual plot devices to escape the consequences after lording it over the person he gave it to, and puts his actual forethought and planning solely into the pettiest schemes of self-aggrandisement and/or reliving memories of a sauce he liked.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

That’s a bad read.

Morty wanting to drug a girl and have sex with her isn't an insignificant problem.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Also, Rick attacks Morty for not asking how the Reset remote worked, but when he gave it to him he responded to enquiry with "do you want to know how it works or do you want to have FUN?" and it's not unreasonable for Morty to think everything just rolls back without consequences.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Did come up recently that it's basically the lovely parent that refuses to teach you how to do anything and then gets mad when you don't know how to do it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Alhazred posted:

Morty wanting to drug a girl and have sex with her isn't an insignificant problem.

I really didn't understand any of the consequences of my actions when I was 14 and obsessed with Harry Potter and Starcraft and was nowhere near intelligent or emotionally aware enough to think about a magical wizard's Love Potion as a date rape drug, i was also 3 years away from having sex and had just BARELY started puberty. Obviously now as an adult it's really easy to see how this all could have happened, although the irony is it was the episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer with this identical plotline that really educated me on it! LMAO Joss Whedon redpilled me into being an Ally!

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Alhazred posted:

This is simultaneously true and also has absolutely no bearing on how much of Cronenberg world was his fault (it wasn't).

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

BizarroAzrael posted:

Also, Rick attacks Morty for not asking how the Reset remote worked, but when he gave it to him he responded to enquiry with "do you want to know how it works or do you want to have FUN?" and it's not unreasonable for Morty to think everything just rolls back without consequences.

Sure, but don't forget this whole thing spawned out of Morty hounding Rick for not doing any of "MY ideas", all of which have routinely had terrible consequences (all the way back to the Meeseeks episode in S1 where Morty was in charge for the first time), yet Morty still bitches about it. Rick even reminds him on the way home from the acid vat how terribly his dragon worked out. So it makes sense that Rick would be fed up by now, and want to teach him an extreme lesson that he can't ignore anymore. "The vat of acid is good" not just because Rick is exceptionally petty, it's "good" because the alternative is Morty's horrible world-breaking poo poo that endangers everyone.

This is the same kid who in the season premiere JUST went all Tetsuo, straight up murdered a bunch of soldiers with future-telling crystals that Rick repeatedly told him not to use, got out of a multiple homicide charge by manipulating a judge using her dead husband, AND repeatedly refused to clone a dead Rick to fix the problem after Morty got him killed, all because he saw a vision that he might get to bang his crush when he's an old man. Morty knows there are consequences, he just doesn't care when it benefits him. Maybe he will now, if they use this episode for character continuity.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I think the general complaint is that ,while both Rick and Morty do absolutely reprehensible things, at least Morty has the excuse of being a dumb hormone-filled teenager.

Rick is just a nihilistic sociopath who happens to also be a technocratic God.

Neither of them care about the consequences if their actions ultimately benefit them.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

sticklefifer posted:

Sure, but don't forget this whole thing spawned out of Morty hounding Rick for not doing any of "MY ideas", all of which have routinely had terrible consequences (all the way back to the Meeseeks episode in S1 where Morty was in charge for the first time), yet Morty still bitches about it.

Ah yes, the abuse victim should silently support their abuser because the victim has also shown poor judgement in the past. This is clearly the victim's fault, and not at all another way for the abuser to exert power over the victim.

Pull up, thread, Jesus Christ

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, the whole point of this episode is demonstrating as clearly as possible that Rick is basically an evil genie who gives Morty what he asks for with horrific side-effects he doesn't bother to make sure Morty knows and then blames him for using it the way he's obviously going to. Also that Rick gets absurdly defensive of usually his silliest inventions.

Rick's whole role here is basically the cartoon nutty professor who invents some whizz-bang new doohickey which he hands off to the dopey protagonist who doesn't understand the side effects and Hilarity Ensues, except he drat well should know better and just uses his actual plot devices to escape the consequences after lording it over the person he gave it to, and puts his actual forethought and planning solely into the pettiest schemes of self-aggrandisement and/or reliving memories of a sauce he liked.

Yeah, that was kind of my issue with the last episode. We've seen Rick as this Techno Monkey Paw God already many times. A family member whines at Rick about poo poo not being fair, Rick relents and gives them what they want to disastrous consequences.

And really, the true joy of save states in a video game is to have more than one that you can go back to. But I can see how narratively that gets even trickier to work a meaningful story out of.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Slightly Absurd posted:

And really, the true joy of save states in a video game is to have more than one that you can go back to. But I can see how narratively that gets even trickier to work a meaningful story out of.

Plus in this case, the big problem with Morty's idea came from how Rick chose to implement it - it was implied that he could have chosen to take a time-travel-based approach (which would result in a device which doesn't kill alternate versions of its user), but he chose the murder option because of his attitude towards time travel. Can't really blame Morty for that.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Y'all are a big pile of bummers in this thread.

This is a loving science fiction cartoon for Christ's sake, just enjoy it or stop watching! Also what kind of mental defectives try to extract meaning and lessons from a 22 minute cartoon? Next you're gonna start deconstructing Tom and Jerry as a metaphor for marriage or some other garbage thing.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

mycomancy posted:

This is a loving science fiction cartoon for Christ's sake, just enjoy it or stop watching! Also what kind of mental defectives try to extract meaning and lessons from a 22 minute cartoon? Next you're gonna start deconstructing Tom and Jerry as a metaphor for marriage or some other garbage thing.

If you don’t enjoy the thread then stop reading??

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

mycomancy posted:

Yeah okay Outer Space Hitler Cat, we'll stop asking questions and just enjoy this thing uncritically.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

mycomancy posted:

Yes, how dare anyone think that a science fiction work could contain a metaphor for something real.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

oh my god I like where this is headed

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
This setup is great.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Laughed hard at that transformation swap.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

this is not where I thought we were headed

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Soooo

Rick hosed a pla--

Ah, yeah, there y'go!

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.