Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Plus HBO Max is starting next week and will add a poo poo ton of content.

I don't know if the the HBO Now deal they were offering is still going on ($11/mo) that automatically converts into a Max account, but you might want to check to see if you can save a few bucks.

It is (but it's $11.99). I just signed up at https://www.hbomax.com. I already put a calendar reminder for next year if I still have it that it's going up to $14.99.

So let's see what I have for a monthly bill for all my streaming services.

Hulu ad free / Disney+ free with Verizon / ESPN+ (using bundle) - $11.99 (will be 12.99 after free trial drops off and I knock Hulu down to ad-supported)

Netflix - $12.99

Amazon Prime - $119/12 - $9.92

HBO Now/Max - $11.99

SiriusXM - $72.84/12 - $6.07

So right now, I'm paying $52.96. In a few months that will go up to $53.96, and then next year $56.96. That's also assuming SiriusXM gives me the same deal ($60/12 months). I honestly didn't realize I was paying $52.96 a month. Now, the Sirius is mainly for my wife's van, and Prime is something that we use for the two day shipping anyway. The video portion is a bonus so if you take those out, it's $36.97 which sounds a bit better. But I guess we'll see how much we watch HBO Max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I tried to do the $11.99 thing on my current HBO Now sub (which I directly get from HBO), and it tells my I'm not eligible for offer. I am confused why I couldn't since HBO bills me directly.

Edit: I had to cancel that account, and use an old one that I let run out. Not sure why the first one wouldn't work. What I didn't realize is they don't bill the year up front. It is still monthly.,

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 24, 2020

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

nate fisher posted:

I tried to do the $11.99 thing on my current HBO Now sub (which I directly get from HBO), and it tells my I'm not eligible for offer. I am confused why I couldn't since HBO bills me directly.

Edit: I had to cancel that account, and use an old one that I let run out. Not sure why the first one wouldn't work. What I didn't realize is they don't bill the year up front. It is still monthly.,

It literally says why on the page you signup for the deal. It’s for new subs and eligible expired accounts.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

jabro posted:

It literally says why on the page you signup for the deal. It’s for new subs and eligible expired accounts.

I’m sorry but I took ‘returning eligible HBO NOW subscribers’ a little differently. I should have taken ‘returning’ as people with expired accounts, instead I read it as recurring, so my fault.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I want to buy a streaming box for my old man for Father's Day, because his TV and DVD/Amplifier are too loving old.

My mom was able to figure out the Roku controls on my new TCL TV, so I think Roku is a good bet.
But which model?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Squashy Nipples posted:

I want to buy a streaming box for my old man for Father's Day, because his TV and DVD/Amplifier are too loving old.

My mom was able to figure out the Roku controls on my new TCL TV, so I think Roku is a good bet.
But which model?

I am a fan of the Roku Ultra. I got one for my mom for Christmas in 2018 and she has not had one issue with it. The interface is fast and doesn't lag, plays Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and Plex without issue.

I have had her on both Firetv and Roku sticks and them not being as responsive or lagging behind clicks was an issue before. The Roku Ultra fixed that complaint.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Burden posted:

I am a fan of the Roku Ultra. I got one for my mom for Christmas in 2018 and she has not had one issue with it. The interface is fast and doesn't lag, plays Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and Plex without issue.

I have had her on both Firetv and Roku sticks and them not being as responsive or lagging behind clicks was an issue before. The Roku Ultra fixed that complaint.

OK cool. The headphone jack is a good idea, the old man is getting deaf.

But the one you linked is the 2018 version?
What would be the differences with this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Newest-Roku-Ultra-Streaming-Player/dp/B086YX5M1V/

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Squashy Nipples posted:

OK cool. The headphone jack is a good idea, the old man is getting deaf.

But the one you linked is the 2018 version?
What would be the differences with this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Newest-Roku-Ultra-Streaming-Player/dp/B086YX5M1V/

Not sure, they look the same. The one your linked comes with an HDMI cable, but everything else looks the same. The model I linked is the Roku Ultra 4661R and yours just states Ultra. Looking at Roku's website the newest version is the model number 4670R. Which is believe is this one in Amazon.

After some quick googling it appears the new one has 2 gigs of ram instead of one which looks like all the extra ram does is open up the apps a bit quicker. I got that info from here.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Burden posted:

Not sure, they look the same. The one your linked comes with an HDMI cable, but everything else looks the same. The model I linked is the Roku Ultra 4661R and yours just states Ultra. Looking at Roku's website the newest version is the model number 4670R. Which is believe is this one in Amazon.

After some quick googling it appears the new one has 2 gigs of ram instead of one which looks like all the extra ram does is open up the apps a bit quicker. I got that info from here.

Amazon only has it from a third-party seller right now at a bit of a markup; Best Buy also has it for $99: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/roku-u...p?skuId=6367483

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

At the 11th hour I realized I was overthinking the whole overlapping sub issue. While I couldn't disassociate my sub from Amazon easily (even though it expired yesterday) I was able to go in and change the email address associated with that sub to something else.

Then I was able to do a fresh signup of HBO Max at the discounted rate on my normal email address.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Harry Potter in it's entirety but no Roku or Amazon apps rip.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There are a LOT of holes in their lineup and I was expecting more TimeWarner content since this was to be the be all end all of TimeWarner streaming. There's only like a half dozen Adult Swim shows on the service. TBS content is also vary sparse, no American Dad, no Final Space, no People of Earth, no Miracle Workers, the list goes on.

Apparently Doom Patrol is the only DCU show they are bringing to the service because they want to preserve DCU for the hardcore fans or some poo poo. I guess getting access to the comics isn't enough of an extra sell for that service which then begs the question as to why it exists in the first place. It just feels like they are using one of their streaming services to advertise for another one by bringing one show over.

I don't know how long it will take to get new episodes of existing shows on the service too. Doctor Who doesn't have the latest season up even though it finished airing 3 months ago. The same goes for Tacoma FD on TruTV.

If these networks want us to pay for specific streaming services tied to their channels, then they need to cough up the content a lot faster after it airs like Hulu is doing with FX.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'm not going to defend them because gently caress AT&T but a lot of that stuff might be tied up in existing agreements, similar to some things that weren't on Disney+ at launch. Some of the things you mentioned aren't TimeWarner properties. Like American Dad is Fox/Disney (it's all on Hulu) and TW has what are basically re-runs on their networks.

I'm not sure about stuff on DCU. There could be some sort of legal fuckery there.

It's free for me and I've been watching Space Ghost Coast to Coast all morning, so I can't complain.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Yay, it's 5/27! I paid for my HBO Max subscription, and I'm ready to check it out.

Photex posted:

no Roku or Amazon apps rip.

...well gently caress.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Who cares about all that. It has Piranha. Our lives are complete.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm not going to defend them because gently caress AT&T but a lot of that stuff might be tied up in existing agreements, similar to some things that weren't on Disney+ at launch. Some of the things you mentioned aren't TimeWarner properties. Like American Dad is Fox/Disney (it's all on Hulu) and TW has what are basically re-runs on their networks.

I'm not sure about stuff on DCU. There could be some sort of legal fuckery there.

It's free for me and I've been watching Space Ghost Coast to Coast all morning, so I can't complain.

They are literally advertising shows, in a recent ad, that aren't on the service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDPzoNObjeQ

Harvey Birdman
The Brak Show
Black Dynamite
Squidbillies

None of them are on HBO Max right now.

As far as DCU content, they explicitly said its a strategic choice as to what's on each service. It's not a license issue.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 27, 2020

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Photex posted:

Harry Potter in it's entirety but no Roku or Amazon apps rip.

For real? I figured hbo now would just switch over when I got out of bed today.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ATT is in a spat with both platforms since Roku and Amazon both have ways to subscribe to streaming services along with the fact that they just have apps as well that you can use to access services through other subscription means.

So, since ATT and Amazon and Roku can't come to an agreement on the revenue sharing of that carriage, the apps are being withheld from the platforms.

It truly is cable with buffering. Carriage agreement spats are still in full effect!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I logged in, because why not... very underwhelmed for someone that doesn't typically view old content.

I was trying to figure out what was new on the platform, since that is all I am really interested in. Not much right now. This Wikipedia article seems to sum it up well without the narrative that some random website article will have

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_original_programs_distributed_by_HBO_Max

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I find my disappointment funny.

I was already paying $14.99/month for just HBO and was fine with it. Now I'm paying $11.99 /month for all that same HBO content plus a ton other other stuff and I'm disappointed.

I think it mostly stems from what they were marketing the service as. Basically everything Time Warner/Warner Brothers but it's really not.

Like, there's a bunch of stuff you can't stream anywhere and my assumption was that the reason why it wasn't on another service was that it was waiting on this to launch, but nope. Just MIA in general.

Also because I was planning on using it to go through Titans and Harley Quinn and they aren't on the service and aren't going to be on the service.

I'm hoping maybe some of the missing stuff that they actually advertised will be dropping June 1st though. Like 3/4 of the shows they advertised in the Adult Swim commercial are missing.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
No 4K, no HDR. What the gently caress HBO?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

HBO Min

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

bull3964 posted:

I find my disappointment funny.

I was already paying $14.99/month for just HBO and was fine with it. Now I'm paying $11.99 /month for all that same HBO content plus a ton other other stuff and I'm disappointed.

I think it mostly stems from what they were marketing the service as. Basically everything Time Warner/Warner Brothers but it's really not.

Like, there's a bunch of stuff you can't stream anywhere and my assumption was that the reason why it wasn't on another service was that it was waiting on this to launch, but nope. Just MIA in general.

Also because I was planning on using it to go through Titans and Harley Quinn and they aren't on the service and aren't going to be on the service.

I'm hoping maybe some of the missing stuff that they actually advertised will be dropping June 1st though. Like 3/4 of the shows they advertised in the Adult Swim commercial are missing.

Wait. You’ve waited to pay $15/month for something you could have been watching this whole time for $8/month. lol

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

jabro posted:

Wait. You’ve waited to pay $15/month for something you could have been watching this whole time for $8/month. lol

$8/ month where? HBO is $14.99 across the board.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Photex posted:

Amazon apps rip.

The Android TV app works fine on the Fire TV, only issue is that it has the HBO Now logo instead of the HBO Max logo and there are some hoops if you already have Now installed.

You aren't missing anything though, if HBO wasn't already bundled with my cellphone plan I would have hit cancel already.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 28, 2020

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
If you're a AT&T gigabit fiber customer I guess you're supposed to log into your account and there's supposed to be some HBO Max thing you click on to add it to your account. Except that there's nothing on the Overview page and if I click the "You get HBO Max for free" banner on my bill...nothing happens. This is through the website.

On the My AT&T phone app, again, there's nothing on the Overview page but if I go to my bill, click the HBO max banner, I get a few spinning wheels and refreshed pages, one of which says "we're adding HBO Max to your account!" and nothing happens. Trying to log in to the HBO max with AT&T tells me "You don't have HBO Max".

Another classic AT&T roll out.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

TheWevel posted:

If you're a AT&T gigabit fiber customer I guess you're supposed to log into your account and there's supposed to be some HBO Max thing you click on to add it to your account. Except that there's nothing on the Overview page and if I click the "You get HBO Max for free" banner on my bill...nothing happens. This is through the website.

On the My AT&T phone app, again, there's nothing on the Overview page but if I go to my bill, click the HBO max banner, I get a few spinning wheels and refreshed pages, one of which says "we're adding HBO Max to your account!" and nothing happens. Trying to log in to the HBO max with AT&T tells me "You don't have HBO Max".

Wait, what? I have AT&T Gigabit fiber but get HBO through our cellular plan. If I can get HBO through our fiber subscription I will just move our cellphone plan to Spotify and save $10 a month.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Three Olives posted:

Wait, what? I have AT&T Gigabit fiber but get HBO through our cellular plan. If I can get HBO through our fiber subscription I will just move our cellphone plan to Spotify and save $10 a month.

I don’t know what kind of EXTREMELY LARGE HOOPS you’ll have to jump through to change your current subscription over but, yeah: https://www.att.com/support/article/my-account/KM1385951

Good luck.

As far as my issue, I think I read somewhere that it may not be active until June 1? I’m currently subscribed to HBO through Apple TV but cancelled under the assumption this launch wouldn’t be a huge disaster. AT&T has 14 days to get it working. :colbert:

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

TheWevel posted:

The HBO Max banner showed up for me today and I was finally able to add HBO Max to my account. :rolleyes:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Any idea when YTTV gets those Viacom channels?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Any idea when YTTV gets those Viacom channels?

Probably around the same time baseball starts, am i right? :rimshot:
i miss sports.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

otter posted:

Probably around the same time baseball starts, am i right? :rimshot:
i miss sports.

I've been watching NRL games on FS1 at like 5:30am

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Is there any available data w/r/t streaming cable for how much each channel gets paid per subscriber? I know on traditional cable you end up sending fox news like $3-$5 a month whether you watch it or not, but wasn't sure if they got more or less on something like yttv/sling/hulu/whatever.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I cancelled my HBO Now and got HBOMAX through my ATT Gigabit service and that’s kinda nice. That savings pays for the required $10/mo charge for the modem.

A little abused they charge me for something that I cannot replace or buy outright because ATT won’t allow a replacement to act as a gateway through their 802.1X shenanigans. Such horseshit.

The minute a modem comes out that’s compatible with ATT fiber I’m buying it no matter the cost.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Good news! Viacom channels are available now on YoutubeTV!

Bad news! They're increasing rates $15(!!!!) starting next month.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/30/21308449/youtube-tv-price-increase-64-99-viacom-hbo-new-channels

RevKrule fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 30, 2020

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
and some YTTV users still will (have to) give PhiloTV $20 for DIY/Science, lol. So now up to $85.

All it's gonna take is Xfinity building a portable app and combining it with internet for $99 and this game is over.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RevKrule posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/30/21308449/youtube-tv-price-increase-64-99-viacom-hbo-new-channels

loving lol

Hard pass at that point.

Keyser_Soze posted:

and some YTTV users still will (have to) give PhiloTV $20 for DIY/Science, lol. So now up to $85.

All it's gonna take is Xfinity building a portable app and combining it with internet for $99 and this game is over.

Yeah if they did that I'd just move over.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Keyser_Soze posted:

And they could do this tomorrow. They have an Apple TV app that was always considered 'in beta' when I was with Xfinity, but it worked exactly the same as the cable box. Essentially same interface, all the channels. I'm sure there's some rights things they'd have to work out and oh boy we know all about those, but the software is there for Apple users at least and porting it to other systems wouldn't be hard I'm sure

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Except Xfinity won't do that for the same reason why YoutubeTV jumped $15 on these channel additions. The channels cost money to carry and most put it in their contract that they have to be included on the base tier.

There's no magic to get out of this situation other than what's actually happening with services like CBS All-Access and Peacock springing up. The only way you are going to get true a la carte channel selection is to subscribe directly to the content providers or buy seasons of shows individually.

Linear TV should really only be considered by sports fans at this point in time. For the cost of service you can pretty much buy 36 seasons of TV per year and even I'm not watching that much TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

RevKrule posted:

Wow drat. My sub has been on pause for as long as you can set it for, 6 months I think? Anyway I had just been thinking about how the pause due date was coming up. Guess I'm cancelling for sure.