Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Incoming total newbie post. I have some general questions.

I've been watching far, far too much PeterSirpol and RCTestFlight etc lately

Can someone explain how these things work exactly? I've done some servo robotics BS (tower pro sg-90s and some larger servos but I've bought more than my fair share of 10-packs of sg-90s along with servo testers) in the past so I have a little background, but I was using 2.4ghz bluetooth to control the robot not uh, traditional RC stuff.

This is what I understand:

Some sort of standard radio controller like you might see a super nerd with
Standard radio receiver to ???
Ardupilot device (Pixhawk 2.4.8?)
Some sort of motor controller
The actual motor/servo

uhh or better yet

screenshot from here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAu6jkgACoc

(click to embiggen)

This seems deceptively simple

1. standard radio controller?
2. towerpro sg-90 or compatible
3. is this the radio reciever? radio antenna? looks like it could be gps but I doubt it
4. high amp motor controller for brushless dc motor
5. looks like a medium amp mutli-volt to 5v adapter for the pixhawk
6. pixhawk
7. piezo buzzer

If I wanted to do an RC sailboat I don't need item #4, but everything else is required/reccomended? Sailboats just use two servos, one for steering, and another to control continious rotation servo as a winch for the sail control lines.

Looks like the #1 spektrum controller starts at... $200? $230 for the dx7s? can I buy a used uh, 4 channel controller for $30? how many channels will I need, what "Standards" do these things use. It's amazing that the pixhawk costs about $35 on ebay, but a 7 channel controller which is arguably much older technology costs $200 what am I missing here? I feel like every $15 RC car has a 2 channel controller so something's up. Seems odd that the controller costs more than the rest of the hobby combined. Maybe it's just the brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Hadlock posted:

3. is this the radio reciever? radio antenna? looks like it could be gps but I doubt it
6. pixhawk
7. piezo buzzer

If I wanted to do an RC sailboat I don't need item #4, but everything else is required/reccomended? Sailboats just use two servos, one for steering, and another to control continious rotation servo as a winch for the sail control lines.

Looks like the #1 spektrum controller starts at... $200? $230 for the dx7s? can I buy a used uh, 4 channel controller for $30? how many channels will I need, what "Standards" do these things use. It's amazing that the pixhawk costs about $35 on ebay, but a 7 channel controller which is arguably much older technology costs $200 what am I missing here? I feel like every $15 RC car has a 2 channel controller so something's up. Seems odd that the controller costs more than the rest of the hobby combined. Maybe it's just the brand.

If you are interested in doing a wide number of things, you might want to get the latest Jumper or Radiomaster radio mentioned on the previous page or two. They have multi-protocol modules that let you bind with receiver modules of many many protocols. The benefit of this kind of transmitter is also the ability to adjust output behavior in the radio, rather than relying on controllers on the vehicle. Cheap RC toys often won't let you reverse servo travel, set midpoints and endpoints, control two or more servos in predefined concerted arrangements, etc.

That's not to say you couldn't find a cheap combo transmitter+vehicle and modify it to suit your use case.

You might be able to find something like a DXe for under $100 and have very limited programming options with it.

The neat thing about the Jumper or Radiomaster is you can find dirt cheap receivers that you wouldn't mind losing if your boat scuttles, whereas the DX7s or DXe might be very picky about binding with unlicensed Spektrum receivers.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Hadlock posted:

Incoming total newbie post. I have some general questions.

I've been watching far, far too much PeterSirpol and RCTestFlight etc lately

Can someone explain how these things work exactly? I've done some servo robotics BS (tower pro sg-90s and some larger servos but I've bought more than my fair share of 10-packs of sg-90s along with servo testers) in the past so I have a little background, but I was using 2.4ghz bluetooth to control the robot not uh, traditional RC stuff.

This is what I understand:

Some sort of standard radio controller like you might see a super nerd with
Standard radio receiver to ???
Ardupilot device (Pixhawk 2.4.8?)
Some sort of motor controller
The actual motor/servo

uhh or better yet

screenshot from here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAu6jkgACoc

(click to embiggen)

This seems deceptively simple

6. pixhawk
7. piezo buzzer

Don't by Spektrum. It's overpriced. Get Taranis or Jumper
Also don't buy a $35 pixhawk. If you really want an arduplane compatible controller that's reasonably cheap, get a Matek 405Wing.

If you want to learn on a budget,, check out FliteTest

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6IuSFWz4ktvupu_gxw1vn-sjBGOkJFHV

Cheap foamboard plabes:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6IuSFWz4kttstQluULH2Yc1UW4drIn2g

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Thanks. Yeah it looks like the radiomaster TX16s is the way to go, touch screen, USB-C charging $130... sold

...does anybody still have these in stock at non-price-gouging cost? Looks like there is one guy on Amazon selling these things for $250, a couple of websites claim to have them still but when you go to checkout they say they're out of stock

Looks like ~14v lipo is about the standard? $10-20 for a battery looks about average, how much should I pay for a starter charger? I think with 2 servos and no brushless motor I probably don't need much juice, won't need to recharge it except when I go home and it's still half or three-quarters full

edit: just to clarify I am NOT doing a plane... doing a RC sailboat

also also, what is wrong with the pixhawk 2.4.8 that the rctestflight guy uses? seems like you can get an all-in package with 915mhz telemetry package for $170 or something on fleabay

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 08:39 on May 24, 2020

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ah, yeah as long as you have a way of recovering it, when(if) it fails, a $35 pixhawk should be fine. Flying things tend to fall out of the sky when that happens, but a boat should be fine.

For servosonly , you just need 2S.
I'd go 21700 format li-ions:
https://liionwholesale.com/collections/batteries/products/samsung-50e-21700?variant=12667804450910
This will keep a pair of SG90s going for a couple of days and li-ions have much less tendency to catch fire and don't need baby sitting when charging, etc.

Is this for an automated project?. Or are you going to be using manual control at all times. (In which case, you don't need the Pixhawk, but a standard rc receiver will be enough).
You can also get a lot of telemetry directly to your radio.
If you are doing automated stuff, you will need:

Transmitter
Receiver
BEC/Voltage regulator
Batteries (as above)
2 servos.

Pixhawk
GPS
Telemetry radios

I would, in your application, skip the power module normally required for the pixhawk and just power it straight off the servo rail and then get a frsky voltage sensor to send the voltage to the transmitter instead. Reason being that most cheap (and a lot of expensive) power modules need 3S+ to work.

If it's non automated, then all you need is:

Transmitter
Receiver
BEC/Voltage regulator
Batteries (as above)
2 servos.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

The radiomaster TX16S just came out within the last month and it's been pretty hyped so I'd expect shortages for a while.

To give a little more information about what's going on in the black box that is the RC radio controller (we'll call it transmitter from now on, that's the official rc nerd term):

The modern transmitter basically has two main parts to it:

1. A computer that monitors the the position of the switches and gimbals, forms it into signal that then gets sent to...
2. A radio module that wirelessly sends the signal out to your receiver. This radio module can be internal/hard-wired or come out as a standalone module that can be swapped. Spektrum tends to hard-wire their stuff (cynic in me says for vendor lock-in reasons) and lots of newer transmitters coming out tend to have an external swappable module so you can use different radio links.

So since this is hobby stuff, there's not really any "standard" that vendors adhere to. The good news is that motors and servos basically want a PWM signal in the end, which is very simple to make and more or less universal. The bad thing is that, every part before that in the chain is a mess of competing vendor protocols that aren't compatible with each other. So your control link looks something like this:

Radio (switches/gimbals) -> Radio wireless module (nonstandard protocol that goes over the air) -> Receiver on boat/car/plane (converts the nonstandard protocol into PWM) -> Servos/motors

You mentioned controlling servos with bluetooth before, is there any particular reason you don't want to go the same route again for the boat? Two servos is a simple enough application you could hack together with whatever you had before. You'd basically replace the entire chain of stuff before servos/motors with your bluetooth link here.

Oh right, one more thing to add as an FYI: how a flight controller like the pixhawk plays into the radio link. It inserts itself in between the receiver and servos/motors:

Radio -> Radio wireless module -> Receiver -> pixhawk -> servos/motors

It's unclear to me what you're trying to do in your application so I don't know if you actually need a pixhawk or if you were just asking out of curiousity. If you're just trying to manually control a sailboat, you don't need one. If you want to do autopilot/GPS magic sort of stuff, then yeah you need one.

yergacheffe fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 24, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yergacheffe posted:

motors and servos basically want a PWM signal in the end, which

PPM :spergin:

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

I knew somebody was gonna give me a :goonsay: reply!!! I just wanted to keep it high level :(

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Oscar Liang mentioned that there may be a coupon code for the TX16S from Banggood on his site sometime tonight. I'd like one myself to do general RC and amateur radio stuff, but since I got an RTF kit (Acrobee Lite) I'm holding off on that purchase.

(I am doing very slow LOS laps around the living room and hoping to god I don't manage to disintegrate this thing)

e: also for a sailboat you could just get away with the cheapest possible used 2ch from ebay. wheel for rudder, trigger for the mainsheet

E4C85D38 fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 25, 2020

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

E4C85D38 posted:

Oscar Liang mentioned that there may be a coupon code for the TX16S from Banggood on his site sometime tonight. I'd like one myself to do general RC and amateur radio stuff, but since I got an RTF kit (Acrobee Lite) I'm holding off on that purchase.

(I am doing very slow LOS laps around the living room and hoping to god I don't manage to disintegrate this thing)

e: also for a sailboat you could just get away with the cheapest possible used 2ch from ebay. wheel for rudder, trigger for the mainsheet

That TX16s can talk to the acrobee.

Also i can't imagine sailing a boat without an easily accessible rudder trim.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Apparently there's an ardupilot sailboat module now that knows how to tack through the wind etc

Ardupilot seems to make sense to me because I think you can set max stops for things like max rotations of 360° servos etc which is important when you're using them as winches as of you over wind them you're gonna bring the rig down. People have built a complex set of switches and string linkage to get around this, but ardupilot/pixhawk puts this all in software. and also yeah well correct for a poorly mounted keel/rudder that pulls to one side. Hard to do hydrodynamic testing in a bathtub.

Trim tab is probably useful yeah

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I did an oopsie today.

https://i.imgur.com/8PxoXkH.mp4

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Yikes! Got insurance?

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

CloFan posted:

Yikes! Got insurance?

Not on the camera. I've been dragging my feet about getting an actual GoPro sine the Hero8 came out and the Hero7 prices have been going down. This may be a good enough reason to finally pull the trigger.

I did get plenty of packs in on other quads before crashing the 5 Inch though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWcWiK6qBkA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6ULxUB-4as
Although for some reason, my video editor hates me and wouldn't allow me to adjust the resolution after putting this together.

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 26, 2020

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I reeeeeally haven't been flying the past 6 months, and it shows in the number of times I strike the ground unintentionally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0NtKfpFh1Q

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Finally did the maiden on this, after probably two hours of programming the transmitter (used the Taranis, I’ve only used it for simple stuff like quads in the past and done all my complex programming with Futaba, Hitec, or Airtronics).

It’s incredible. Launches so high, and just effortlessly climbs out of sight if you find any lift at all.

The dumb pull-spring setup has screwed up the rudder hinge a little and the aileron servos are moving around a bit I think (trim keeps changing). Gotta fix that and throw it around some more.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Took my new sailfly x on its maiden flight today. I've previously only flown my tinyhawk (and camera drones which don't count), and let me tell you the jump from 1S to 3S was really something. This thing is face meltingly fast compared to what I'm used to.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Another toothpick question.

So the AIO on my TinyHawk Freestyle 1 died as far as I can tell. Won’t arm, no OSD, LED’s intermittent but the camera and vtx always work. I have spent a good amount of time/money upgrading the vtx to a unify nano, camera to a runcam nano, and receiver to a XM+. The quad was amazing before it died.

So now I can replace the flight controller(and bottom plate while I’m at it since it is in very rough shape) for about 60 bucks and continue to enjoy it (while removing and throwing out the stock vtx and rx), or throw the whole thing out and build something fresh to use the vtx, camera, and RX for about 100? I can’t re-use the motors because they have a 3 screw mounting pattern that nobody uses in other frames. I could also try to put a different AIO in it to save some money and maybe be more durable but I’d have to drill new holes in the frame and that seems like a pain in the rear end. Of course installing the XM+ and Unify on the TH board is a pain in the rear end too.

Most importantly, how do I do any of this without giving money to Kabab?

I’ll probably build something fresh and give the motors to somebody who can use them.

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

i own every Bionicle posted:

Another toothpick question.

So the AIO on my TinyHawk Freestyle 1 died as far as I can tell. Won’t arm, no OSD, LED’s intermittent but the camera and vtx always work. I have spent a good amount of time/money upgrading the vtx to a unify nano, camera to a runcam nano, and receiver to a XM+. The quad was amazing before it died.

So now I can replace the flight controller(and bottom plate while I’m at it since it is in very rough shape) for about 60 bucks and continue to enjoy it (while removing and throwing out the stock vtx and rx), or throw the whole thing out and build something fresh to use the vtx, camera, and RX for about 100? I can’t re-use the motors because they have a 3 screw mounting pattern that nobody uses in other frames. I could also try to put a different AIO in it to save some money and maybe be more durable but I’d have to drill new holes in the frame and that seems like a pain in the rear end. Of course installing the XM+ and Unify on the TH board is a pain in the rear end too.

Most importantly, how do I do any of this without giving money to Kabab?

I’ll probably build something fresh and give the motors to somebody who can use them.

There are so many awesome bnfs around $100 that it’d be hard to recommend anything but buying new. Tiny hawk freestyle 2, tiny hawk race, mobula 6, uav65, etc.

For $110 you could get the new tiny hawk freestyle 2 that everyone is freaking out about. Not to dissuade you from reusing old parts but you could get a whole new quad with no work for the same price and then swap in parts as needed

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Is there a go-to semi-entry level small quad/tx and fpv setup that's recommended these days?

There's like half a billion options on banggood, I just confused myself. I'm competent with flashing, soldering/building if that makes any difference.

Tint hawk 2, 2s, taranis? Are there good options for smaller quads that may be indoor flown?

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 31, 2020

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Is there a go-to semi-entry level small quad/tx and fpv setup that's recommended these days?

There's like half a billion options on banggood, I just confused myself. I'm competent with flashing, soldering/building if that makes any difference.

Tint hawk 2, 2s, taranis? Are there good options for smaller quads that may be indoor flown?

I bought the original tinyhawk RTF bundle from Banggood at the start of the year and love it. But beware it's a gateway drug.

I've heard mixed things about the tinyhawk 2, most reviewers seem to prefer the original. For indoor stick to 1S. For controller, there's a big shakeup at the moment, so if you don't want to get the RTF kit and instead buy goggles and controller, the tx16s from radiomaster seems to be pretty much unbeatable but due to all the hype it's out of stock everywhere. I personally have an frsky x lite. I like it but FrSky is doing antics with backwards compatibility, so it's safest to avoid all their stuff right now

Splode fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 31, 2020

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Splode posted:

I've heard mixed things about the tinyhawk 2, most reviewers seem to prefer the original.

:thunk: I have them both and the TH2 is way better. Much better quality camera, VTX, and it can run on either 1S or 2S power. It's a bit heavier, sure, but it's a Tinyhawk, if you wanted something to rip acro stunts with this was never going to be it.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Pretty happy with the tinyhawk, get whatever the latest model is that does 1s and 2s. Very capable on 1s, outside it can rip on 2s. Battery doesn't last that long 2~3min.

You could maybe get one of the quad+transmitter+goggle packs, but it may be worth the bit extra to get a real transmitter that you can go on to use with other things.

Eachine EV-800D are a real solid entry goggle.
RadioMaster TX16S seems to be thread consensus for new transmitters, but if you find a good deal a used Taranis or Jumper should still be perfectly sufficient.

Maybe check for local used listings first, could be someone trying to make ends meet.

E:f;b
If you're on the fence, the full kit is probably the way to go. If you got an extra $50~100 to commit, getting the aforementioned goggles and transmitter give a good bump in quality and easier entry into other quads, planes, helis, cars, gyros, motorcycles, hovercraft, boats, subs, etc.

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 31, 2020

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I bought the RTF kit and retired the transmitter and the goggles within about two months of getting the kit, but I don't regret getting the kit rather than standalone as it eased me into things: it all worked out of the box which let me customise things gradually rather than immediately being forced to learn how to bind, how to use betaflight, opentx, etc all before flying
Also now I've got some handy box goggles for passengers

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Thanks folks, I had an eachine racer kit back in the day (sold to someone here, actually, it ended up on a roof, then his coworker's phantom ended up on the same roof, was quite the ordeal) and sort of want to get back into it. I'll check out the recommendations, thanks!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Pretty happy with the tinyhawk, get whatever the latest model is that does 1s and 2s. Very capable on 1s, outside it can rip on 2s. Battery doesn't last that long 2~3min.

You could maybe get one of the quad+transmitter+goggle packs, but it may be worth the bit extra to get a real transmitter that you can go on to use with other things.

Eachine EV-800D are a real solid entry goggle.
RadioMaster TX16S seems to be thread consensus for new transmitters, but if you find a good deal a used Taranis or Jumper should still be perfectly sufficient.

Maybe check for local used listings first, could be someone trying to make ends meet.

E:f;b
If you're on the fence, the full kit is probably the way to go. If you got an extra $50~100 to commit, getting the aforementioned goggles and transmitter give a good bump in quality and easier entry into other quads, planes, helis, cars, gyros, motorcycles, hovercraft, boats, subs, etc.
This is all v legit

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

My new goal is now to make an FPV autogyro.

Re: kits, I'm pretty happy with the Acrobee RTF. The monitor is detachable so it can continue to be useful after it's outgrown, and the transmitter is still an adequate piece of gear for simple vehicles or dual multi-module buddy boxing. Although I'm far from a good enough copter pilot to need to upgrade yet.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
I switched my 5" over to Betaflight 4.2 and wiped all the settings to fly defaults, then spent the next 2 hours trying to get it to fly tight again. I'll say the new RC Rate Smoothing is better than before or maybe it is better feedforward smoothing because I have a lot less of the motors spinning up and slowing down then spinning back up again during snap moves. The default feed forward gain (the value you tweak in the PID grid) seems really low to me and I settled on 1.4 "Stick Response Gain" and I think it still could be even higher because I still have 14-20ms of latency between my setpoint and the gyro rate. I also dropped D-min Advance to 10 and used the "Race/Fast Freestyle" snippet from the wiki. PD Balance 0.9, P/D Gain 1.2, enabled sag compensation. I feel like I was expecting a bit more for some reason, but quad still flies, A++ would grudgingly upgrade again.

Quad is chameleon frame with EMAX ECO 2306 2400KV with DALProp 5043 props and weighs in at 560g without the action camera.

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 3, 2020

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
So I got my Tiny Trainer done!

It’s a 3 inch “toothpick” that Headsup developed with some other people to practice for DRL in his backyard, flies on 3S 550. There are two AIO’s recommended for it, either the cheaper Flywoo goku F411 :goku: toothpick board or the more durable Beta board which is like 20 dollars more. I used the cheap one.

It is insanely fast and I don’t think I’d call it a toothpick. It’s not that quiet and is quicker than most 5” freestyle quads. It will kill a pack in ~90 seconds if you are doing full send loops and stuff.

After finally getting it flying pretty good on 4.17, I tried to take off from some grass. It must have caught a prop a little because after it got up to about a foot off the ground it rolled over into the ground and I saw a big cloud of smoke drift past the camera. Ran out to grab it and there was much smoke. A little char on the frame and the battery but not too bad, I think just the AIO went up. I was running it on the 48 kHz Jazz Maverick ESC firmware which probably didn’t help things. I ordered the more rugged Beta AIO; hopefully that holds together. I will probably run JESC on that instead as it seems more proven.

It’s not the harmless, whisper quiet toothpick that I wanted, will probably build something else for that role to not piss off my neighbors.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
I'm looking at a toothpick in the future, what would the groupthink recommend for a harmless whisper quiet 3"?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
It’s not 3”, but I just ordered a Tinyhawk Freestyle 2, which is 2.5”. I had the original which I really liked except the camera and vtx sucked (I upgraded them and loved the little thing until it died) but those have been fixed in the new one.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

i own every Bionicle posted:

It is insanely fast and I don’t think I’d call it a toothpick. It’s not that quiet and is quicker than most 5” freestyle quads. It will kill a pack in ~90 seconds if you are doing full send loops and stuff.
Holy smokes that thing looks super cool. I have been poking around looking at 3" setups because it seems like a great combination of whoops and 5" but golly that thing is a real beast. I think I'll look for something a little less racy. I almost bought a Tinyhawk Freestyle 2 last Friday but luckily for my wallet I decided to wait until the morning and by that time RDQ was out of stock. They look perfect for a 2.5" but I was kinda hoping for a little more power in a 3". If it came in a 3" with 1204 motors I think it would be perfect, so echoing what Rontalvos is asking about decent premade 3" that are more harmless than that Tiny Trainer. I have a cart saved with parts to build a Armattan Tadpole 3" but zeesh it is $270 and that's outta my price range.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I got a DJI Mavic Mini for xmas this year and its been fun. Before this, I've had a few cheaper, not camera, quads.

I'm wondering, if I wanted to get into FPV stunta life.. can I get more than 5 min out of a battery? I really like the mini's 30 min flight time. I was hoping that the new generation (my others are like 5 yrs?) would push the battery limits, but it seems they push the power instead?

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

deong posted:

I got a DJI Mavic Mini for xmas this year and its been fun. Before this, I've had a few cheaper, not camera, quads.

I'm wondering, if I wanted to get into FPV stunta life.. can I get more than 5 min out of a battery? I really like the mini's 30 min flight time. I was hoping that the new generation (my others are like 5 yrs?) would push the battery limits, but it seems they push the power instead?

Unfortunately, FPV quads aren’t really built for efficiently putting down power. You might be able to squeeze five minutes out of a battery if you fly slow and cinematically and don’t do any punchy control inputs, but even that will risk burning the battery. FPV quads go through batteries so fast specifically because they can do the snappy rolls and flips that pilots enjoy doing. It’s possible to trade a little power for more efficiency in tuning and props, but in my experience, four minutes on a 5s running 1700kv is still a long time and really only happens on cruising flights, and on older packs, three minutes is pushing it.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Anyone try quads with single bladed props for minimum tip-drag efficiency?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

deong posted:

you wont really understand until you do it but you dont really WANT to fly them for longer than ~3-5 mins at a time, its actually kinda mentally exhausting to constantly be focusing on the screen/gaps/getting in tight to things, power looping perfectly so the shot stays smooth. By the time it comes to land and swap packs it's actually a relief to have just a few minutes of chill before HARDCORE MODE ENGAGE again

Even my little Jazz Maverick ESC'd tiny whoop can do 6+ minutes now and I just dont like flying that long at once. It's different when I'm puttering around with my Mavic in a buddy's passenger seat

You can absolutely build long range quad with props ranging up from like 7"/8" or so, and it'll fly for like 20 mins cruising, but even that would probly only go for ~8 or so if you started getting stunty

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jun 4, 2020

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah there's very good reasons the really high performance crafts aren't flown for more than a few minutes at a time.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So whats the difference between pixhawk 2.4.8 and pixhawk 4? Supposedly the 4 is more reliable for some reason? Seems like people have been using 2.4.8 reliably for a long time, what am I missing

Boat stuff is coming together, I ended up just buying a 10 channel uh, flysky i6-a or whatever, looks like the receiver has sbus which is compatible with pixhawk, flysky stuff hsould be here monday or something

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

deong posted:

https://outcastdroneworks.com/products/microhawk-complete-maker-kit

I have one of these on the way (allegedly). Seems to be the longest flight time currently available with ~15 minutes of freestyle or 20-25 minutes of cruising

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I can get about 5:30 of freestyle flying with dives, power loops, etc with my 6” while carrying a GoPro Session. Motor and prop selection is most important and keep it light. 4S 1550, 2306-2150 motors, HQ 6x3.5x3 props, Hobbywing stack, QAV slam frame.

If I ditched the GoPro and went with a 4S 2200 or something I’m sure I’d get 7 minutes at least.

But who cares, really. Parallel charge a bunch of packs and land and change them.