Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

It’s not good :cry:

Under the fatty mass they found a tumour. Too close to her spine to operate on. They sampled it and we’ll know exactly how aggressive it is in a week. The best case scenario is the lump they removed will return and keep getting bigger. Worst case I guess it metastasises and her spine goes :smith:

Oh god, that's horrible news! The worst part is the wait, hopefully you can get the results quicker. Is there any sort of radiotherapy or something they could do to slow it down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I dunno, I guess they don’t really want to get into treatment or management options until they know exactly what we’re dealing with.

I have her home again, she’s sleeping off the last of the anaesthetic. Two weeks of not being allowed to jump on the sofa is gonna be rough, she mostly likes to switch between sofa and bed every couple of hours

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

It’s not good :cry:

Under the fatty mass they found a tumour. Too close to her spine to operate on. They sampled it and we’ll know exactly how aggressive it is in a week. The best case scenario is the lump they removed will return and keep getting bigger. Worst case I guess it metastasises and her spine goes :smith:

I'm so sorry!!!!!!!

Best wishes to you and Bonnie in this incredibly tough time. We are all here for you.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

I dunno, I guess they don’t really want to get into treatment or management options until they know exactly what we’re dealing with.

I have her home again, she’s sleeping off the last of the anaesthetic. Two weeks of not being allowed to jump on the sofa is gonna be rough, she mostly likes to switch between sofa and bed every couple of hours

Give her a huge hug from us. And some delicious treats.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

I'm so sorry, spine stuff is hard. I'm rooting for you and your sweet girl.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

We have literally never seen her exhibit any kind of pain or weakness in her back - just yesterday she was sprinting around the local playing fields like she always does. So I’m hoping that maybe it’s just a tumour that might grow but otherwise keep to itself. Of course even that might end up pressing on her spine, but I gotta hope for the best right :unsmith:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

We have literally never seen her exhibit any kind of pain or weakness in her back - just yesterday she was sprinting around the local playing fields like she always does. So I’m hoping that maybe it’s just a tumour that might grow but otherwise keep to itself. Of course even that might end up pressing on her spine, but I gotta hope for the best right :unsmith:

Yes, whatever happens you will make the absolute best decision for her.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Sending best wishes and thoughts for sweet Bonnie.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear that! Bonnie's such a good girl :( Hopefully the results are favourable, when they eventually come back to you about it

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Sparty is sending sweet dreams Bonnie's way :ohdear:

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

jesus WEP I’m so sorry to hear about Bonnie’s diagnosis, that is heartbreaking. :[ I gave Josie a good hard cuddle for you. It’s so tough with pets, we are wholly responsible for them, and it feels awful when bad things happen that are outside our control. But you do have the control to keep her happy and feeling loved and give her the best life you can. That’s all dogs know, they live in the moment. Please give her some kisses and ear rubs for me. :]

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Sorry to hear about Bonnie, fingers crossed. Here's our 3 year old's coloring:

(Wife did some of the neater parts)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Right dog blazed as gently caress lol

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

content

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

So, yeah. It’s cancer.

We knew it would be, pretty much. It’s a spindle cell sarcoma, which is moderately aggressive. It’s not super likely to metastasise to her organs, but it will keep growing until it causes her serious QoL issues.

Vet says that untreated he would estimate about 6-12 months, which could be worse I guess. We have the option of a CT scan and then a very small chance that further surgery could remove all of it.

More likely we would be offered chemo, which I’m kinda negative on. Honestly I would rather she had 6 or 9 months of happy fun times, than 18 of constant vet trips and sickness and recovery.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

So, yeah. It’s cancer.

We knew it would be, pretty much. It’s a spindle cell sarcoma, which is moderately aggressive. It’s not super likely to metastasise to her organs, but it will keep growing until it causes her serious QoL issues.

Vet says that untreated he would estimate about 6-12 months, which could be worse I guess. We have the option of a CT scan and then a very small chance that further surgery could remove all of it.

More likely we would be offered chemo, which I’m kinda negative on. Honestly I would rather she had 6 or 9 months of happy fun times, than 18 of constant vet trips and sickness and recovery.

I'm very sorry.

We are all here to support you and Bonnie. I agree that a shorter life that is higher in quality is best.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

actionjackson posted:

I'm very sorry.

We are all here to support you and Bonnie.

Whatever you decide it will definitely be the best for Bonnie

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

So, yeah. It’s cancer.

That must be so hard to hear. Are you going to try the surgery?

DarkHorse posted:

Whatever you decide it will definitely be the best for Bonnie

Exactly this. Give Bonnie The best quality of life possible, for as long as possible.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

So, the surgery relies on 2 things.

First, we need a CT scan in the first place. It’s super expensive, so that will depend on how much of it our insurance will cover.

Second, and probably the bigger hurdle, is that the tumour is quite big, spread under quite a bit of muscle, and pretty close to her spine. All factors that make removal really difficult. The CT scan will tell us if it’s feasible at all, but it’s most likely too risky for something with a low chance of success.

Right now I’m just looking forward to getting her stitches out (on Monday morning) and getting her back to running around the local playing fields and terrorising squirrels all summer long :unsmith:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Also can we just appreciate how cute she is in her little recovery shirt

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

Yes, yes we can. :3:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

jesus WEP posted:

Very much appreciate

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

very good and cute dog

also nice tiles

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

BONNIE

kiss kiss kiss kiss

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Abby is confused because Bonnie is also my neighbor's name who watches her every so often

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

jesus WEP posted:

That’s a good dog right there, yep. :3:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Sorry to make this the Bonnie Illness thread but

Her wound from surgery got infected :smith: even though we kept it covered and it seemed to have healed up really well, stitches came out on time etc, on Wednesday night she seemed a bit unsettled, and by Thursday morning she was super unhappy. By the time I got her to the vet she was visibly limping on the leg closest to her wound and couldn’t get in or out of the car anymore. Her wound also swole up to where it almost looked like half a tennis ball was under her skin.

48 hours later and a bunch of antibiotics and anti inflammatory meds, she has sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeepppppt a lot. She is still really ginger lying down and standing up, and we’ve decided just to let her out for toilet in the yard until she’s in much better shape. Swelling is starting to go down but looks kinda angry still. But she can now lie on either side, which is good because for 12 hours or so after vet she would try to lie on her bad side and then realise after 2 minutes it really hurt, and have to go through the painful ritual of standing up and lying down again.

I just really hope the infection won’t leave lasting damage to the muscle :( it sucks enough that she has a terminal illness without her quality of life being hosed up even before the cancer gets her.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

jesus WEP posted:

Sorry to make this the Bonnie Illness thread but

Her wound from surgery got infected :smith: even though we kept it covered and it seemed to have healed up really well, stitches came out on time etc, on Wednesday night she seemed a bit unsettled, and by Thursday morning she was super unhappy. By the time I got her to the vet she was visibly limping on the leg closest to her wound and couldn’t get in or out of the car anymore. Her wound also swole up to where it almost looked like half a tennis ball was under her skin.

48 hours later and a bunch of antibiotics and anti inflammatory meds, she has sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeepppppt a lot. She is still really ginger lying down and standing up, and we’ve decided just to let her out for toilet in the yard until she’s in much better shape. Swelling is starting to go down but looks kinda angry still. But she can now lie on either side, which is good because for 12 hours or so after vet she would try to lie on her bad side and then realise after 2 minutes it really hurt, and have to go through the painful ritual of standing up and lying down again.

I just really hope the infection won’t leave lasting damage to the muscle :( it sucks enough that she has a terminal illness without her quality of life being hosed up even before the cancer gets her.

Don't apologize, this is what the thread's for

I'm so sorry your Bonnie lass is sick, it sucks her healing couldn't go smoothly but it sounds like she's responding to treatment so in the long run it's probably only a week of discomfort. Getting that tumor out was definitely more important

Take care of yourself and give Bonnie lots of pets for me

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

a friend loaned us a big oversized dog bed so Bonnie can stretch out properly if she needs to (the sofa used to be good for that but she can’t jump on it right now)

she is very cosy on it and has barely left it since she first tried it :unsmith:

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Sucks to hear that she's having such a tough time. Hopefully after the infection heals she'll be able to enjoy the summer with you. Make sure she gets plenty of zoomies and treats and love.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

a friend loaned us a big oversized dog bed so Bonnie can stretch out properly if she needs to (the sofa used to be good for that but she can’t jump on it right now)

she is very cosy on it and has barely left it since she first tried it :unsmith:

A bed fit for a queen!

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Aww good Bonnie girl. Hopefully she will be back to feeling better from her infection soon. Hugs for you and for her.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

jesus WEP posted:

Such a gorgeous girl! Very cozy :3:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

yes very appropriate, Abby has a comically oversized bed like that too

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

actionjackson posted:

yes very appropriate, Abby has a comically oversized bed like that too
how is Abby doing these days? Love that sweetie

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

how is Abby doing these days? Love that sweetie

Oh well she's loving this pandemic thing, doing well I think on Anipryl, joints are still having some issues but nothing huge. She's pretty used to the hard floor now. She looks down before chasing me if I have a treat and adjusts her speed accordingly.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

actionjackson posted:

Oh well she's loving this pandemic thing, doing well I think on Anipryl, joints are still having some issues but nothing huge. She's pretty used to the hard floor now. She looks down before chasing me if I have a treat and adjusts her speed accordingly.

:kimchi: Love that sweetie

We mopped the kitchen floor and it's funny watching Sparty scrabble around the corners adjusting his four-wheel-drive traction control so he can go outside

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

:kimchi: Love that sweetie

We mopped the kitchen floor and it's funny watching Sparty scrabble around the corners adjusting his four-wheel-drive traction control so he can go outside

The technical term is "Paws-itraction," please. :3:

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
I could've sworn I read that sight hounds were silent, Tubbs gets noisier every year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZps-iKT240

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Tubbs is a very good boy :3: he looks like he wants you to make a bluff charge at him so he can go a bit mad and spin in circles for a while