Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

gently caress everything about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

Maybe I got lucky, but my first car was a former rental (2002 Dodge Neon. RIP. I still miss that loving car), and it ran like a champ. I put a lot of miles on that in very short time. Was a tank

Christ my aunt and uncle still to this day daily drive a 96 Aerostar mini van they picked up from a rental auction, only 4 big breakdowns in all these years

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

MarcusSA posted:

gently caress everything about this.

Someone in another thread pointed out that this is just the cast of Scrubs.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Weatherman posted:

Someone in another thread pointed out that this is just the cast of Scrubs.

Well that doesn’t make it better! FFS.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

It can't be the cast of scrubs because Carla wasn't a doctor and the Dominican female has a doctor coat on.

:goonsay:

vyst has a new favorite as of 13:21 on May 24, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Who said she was African-American?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, she's Puerto Rican.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kinda...Scrubs-ish?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Yeah I apologize. I'm really high right now- she is Dominican.

vyst has a new favorite as of 13:22 on May 24, 2020

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Did no one here actually watch the show? You're supposed to reply that no, she's Dominican. They did a whole song number about it.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Calling a Dominican a Puerto Rican or vice versa is a good way to start a fight among some folks.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

Did no one here actually watch the show? You're supposed to reply that no, she's Dominican. They did a whole song number about it.

Honestly, it's been so long since I've seen the show I just knew she wasn't black after reading those replies and assumed they were correct. Either way to my original point she's wearing a doctor jacket in the Funko if it's supposed to be her.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

They can take these and shove them so far up their rear end it comes out their mouth. If my boss gives me one I will literally light it on fire

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

That’ll be pretty funny if in about 20 years these become unusually valuable because absolutely nobody’s gonna give a poo poo about them now.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I try so hard to understand the appeal of those things I really want to get it why people spend money on them but it's a complete mystery to me. Just some real stupid poo poo.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I try so hard to understand the appeal of those things I really want to get it why people spend money on them but it's a complete mystery to me. Just some real stupid poo poo.

BRAND understand my love for THING and how I can express it in the most materialistic possible way! I must give them $20 for a piece of molded plastic to show all my friends how much I love THING!

*proceeds to have entire personality based around Kelly Kapowski*

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Promoted Pawn posted:

That’ll be pretty funny if in about 20 years these become unusually valuable because absolutely nobody’s gonna give a poo poo about them now.

They've absolutely saturated the market and are dead cheap to design and make. From a business standpoint, sure they aren't sustainable, but it doesn't matter because they make money on every one. If they limit production runs to what they are sure will sell, they can create artificial scarcity and build a collector's market for an easily reproducible object.
It doesn't matter if they only sell a thousand figures of a run if it only cost three dollars a pop to produce, they only made a thousand, and sell it for ten dollars.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

vyst posted:

Honestly, it's been so long since I've seen the show I just knew she wasn't black after reading those replies and assumed they were correct. Either way to my original point she's wearing a doctor jacket in the Funko if it's supposed to be her.

Latino and black aren't mutually exclusive identities. Latino is really a cultiral signifier even though Americans use it to mean mestizo.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It seems like they're running the opposite of the scalper model with pop figures. Instead of jacking up the value by doing limited runs, they're shoving as many of them into as many retailers as possible while the pop culture fads the figures are based on is still relevant. The number of people who want Rick and Morty memerobilia drops like a rock once the show is over so make as many pickle rick figures as possible while the goin's good.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 18:16 on May 24, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Funko Pops do have some advantages in that they're sometimes the only readily available merchandise for a particular property.

They also do more upscale stuff in notably different but similar branding, I've mostly noted with Cuphead figures that are more on-model.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

If I ever get rich, I'm gonna buy a warehouse, a Rock A Fire set, and do poo poo like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b90Cf6ARscc

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funko Pops do have some advantages in that they're sometimes the only readily available merchandise for a particular property.

They also do more upscale stuff in notably different but similar branding, I've mostly noted with Cuphead figures that are more on-model.

Plus some of the non-human Funkos look decent at best

But they wouldn't be so bad if they had pupils.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I suggest not filling your house with garbage.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I have bad news, most of your house is already garbage

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lambert posted:

I suggest not filling your house with garbage.

Then where will you live?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I'm leaving the thread in shame.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

to the extent that funko pops are appealing, it's pretty much just because they have a tendency to pick up licenses that get almost no other merch whatsoever

so if you want a little figure of a Steven Universe or FLCL or MST3K character on your desk, they're kinda your only option

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

VanSandman posted:

They've absolutely saturated the market and are dead cheap to design and make. From a business standpoint, sure they aren't sustainable, but it doesn't matter because they make money on every one. If they limit production runs to what they are sure will sell, they can create artificial scarcity and build a collector's market for an easily reproducible object.
It doesn't matter if they only sell a thousand figures of a run if it only cost three dollars a pop to produce, they only made a thousand, and sell it for ten dollars.

Yeah, but I specifically meant the “generic nurse” pops. It just seems like the perfect combination of poor taste and lack of pop culture presence that would cause them to rot on shelves.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

They can suck the covid isolation gear sweat right off my balls

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

a mysterious cloak posted:

They can suck the covid isolation gear sweat right off my balls

Tyvek suits fuckin’ suck in terms of sweat, I have never felt grosser in my life than I have after wearing one to haul some 300 pound dude out of his house.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Sorry if this was posted, but it just read hertz filed bankruptcy. That’s like a staple of car rentals (of the past).

I need to try to keep up w this thread, but so many are going under it’s impossible

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Promoted Pawn posted:

Yeah, but I specifically meant the “generic nurse” pops. It just seems like the perfect combination of poor taste and lack of pop culture presence that would cause them to rot on shelves.

Hallmark figurine market but for nerds. People that feel obligated to give you a gift can be like "well they like x property" and then just buy the little Funko Pop figurine and call it a day. If they can expand that out to job categories, then every nurse office, teachers day, and 'we need a gift for grandma's boyfriend who was in the marines 4 years ago' is a sale.

I got one of those thing as a gift, and I even have it out where people can see it because it's a Don't Starve character and I like setting up little displays where he's in peril. I am terrified that that will signal to other people that it's an easy gift option, though so I've gone hard on asking for perishables for gifting occasions.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

I like Funko Pop’s Rock Candy line, but they don’t make as many of those, and they’re harder to find outside of the Internet.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Hertz was a much better rental experience for me than Enterprise but because of the price difference, I only went to Hertz if I had a company discount.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rick posted:

Hertz was a much better rental experience for me than Enterprise but because of the price difference, I only went to Hertz if I had a company discount.

I use National probably 10 times a year, never a problem. Good rates. It’s weird to see good companies go down at no fault of their own imo.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Burt Sexual posted:

Sorry if this was posted, but it just read hertz filed bankruptcy. That’s like a staple of car rentals (of the past).

I need to try to keep up w this thread, but so many are going under it’s impossible

It was 50 years in the making but this is a direct result of them having OJ as their spokesman.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It was 50 years in the making but this is a direct result of them having OJ as their spokesman.

They shoulda thought of that 20 years before he sliced people’s heads off!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Burt Sexual posted:

They shoulda thought of that 20 years before he sliced people’s heads off!

Hey, he at least got people thinking about their fleet of white Broncos. You don’t do that by not trying.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Good companies go bankrupt all the time. I don't think there's much need to mourn an international car rental service megacorp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Lambert posted:

Good companies go bankrupt all the time. I don't think there's much need to mourn an international car rental service megacorp.

Agreed on the company part, still a bummer for whomever worked there and is losing their job.

In normal times you can do the “yeah, they could have looked ahead and gotten out” (not saying you are implying this btw). def no way to anticipate Covid coming in and crushing companies like this.

So really, all in getting at is that yeah, we expected companies like JC Penny to go bankrupt. But to see it hit companies that I assume were decently run, and have employees get hacked as a result, it just loving sucks.