Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ugly In The Morning posted:

People have also spent millions of dollars and years of their lives trying to get a proof of the Loch Ness Monster but that doesn’t mean it exists.

I never said it did! My earlier point was just that it was conceivable that the Lagina brothers would still be investigating the island even if there wasn't a show about it

Alhazred posted:

There's a lot of those "Looking For..." shows on History Channel and I always wonder if they really are that self deluded or if they're just willing to act like idiots for money. Like, how long can you look for Hitler in South America before you realize that it's pointless.

Gripweed posted:

At least with the Oak Island mystery hole people have actually spent their entire fortunes and lives trying to get the prize at the bottom of the hole. The Lagina brothers and their friends are clearly playing it up for the camera, but it's at least conceivable that they would spend an unreasonable amount of time and money trying to get this hole even if there wasn't a camera crew there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gripweed posted:

I never said it did! My earlier point was just that it was conceivable that the Lagina brothers would still be investigating the island even if there wasn't a show about it

The post you quoted mentioned evidence so I misread your reply, my bad!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The post you quoted mentioned evidence so I misread your reply, my bad!

It's fine, we all just gotta keep our cool. Nobody wants to see yet another thread get gassed because people got too heated arguing about the Oak Island mystery hole.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gripweed posted:

It's fine, we all just gotta keep our cool. Nobody wants to see yet another thread get gassed because people got too heated arguing about the Oak Island mystery hole.

You joke but I used to work with people that loved that show and poo poo would get heated sometimes. It was loving bizarre.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Look, oak island is serious poo poo. Makes Skinwalker Ranch look like Nashville

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Skinwalker Ranch stories are creepy as poo poo. I don’t believe any of them for a second, but you could probably make a decent b-movie out of it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I like to daydream that some of these people liken themselves to modern-day mythmakers—"hoaxers" who don't believe in the mythology that they're crafting but are instead adding to a long line of creators of interesting and legends for generations to come. But 99% of people who are into this poo poo seem just real dumb or mentally unstable and are fully bought-in.

I love a good scam artist in the community, though, like Gray Barker.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

Is the voice of the ship considered an original character? She's been there since the beginning.

She was even in the show physically this week!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

I like to daydream that some of these people liken themselves to modern-day mythmakers—"hoaxers" who don't believe in the mythology that they're crafting but are instead adding to a long line of creators of interesting and legends for generations to come.

"In this hole there's some gold" is not an interesting legend:colbert:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I was thinking more alien abductees and such, but perpetuating the myth of pirate treasure is fun in its own dumb way.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Alhazred posted:

"In this hole there's some gold" is not an interesting legend:colbert:

Gold? Oh buddy, you don't know much about the Oak Island mystery hole if you think people are just expecting gold in there.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Gold? Oh buddy, you don't know much about the Oak Island mystery hole if you think people are just expecting gold in there.

There was a norwegian show about a guy who believed that Shakespeare and Oak Island was somehow connected.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Is the voice of the ship considered an original character? She's been there since the beginning.

Rhyno posted:

She was even in the show physically this week!

I wasn't thinking about Gideon at all! And I think I'm four episodes behind, so I need to do something about that. It's the last Arrowverse show I still watch, aside from the crossovers.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Alhazred posted:

There was a norwegian show about a guy who believed that Shakespeare and Oak Island was somehow connected.

He shows up in season one of Curse of Oak Island! He thinks that Shakespeare left clues in the original folio pointing to the Roscrucians hiding the menorah from Soloman's Temple on Oak Island

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Seriously though, how are they on season 7 of oak island?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

precision posted:

Seriously though, how are they on season 7 of oak island?

look, it's a really deep hole and furthermore

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Big Mean Jerk posted:

look, it's a really deep hole and furthermore

They don't go to the main hole in the first season and the big finale stinger to get you to come back is that in the second season they will.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The Nova Scotia Business Initiative pair for like Half the show’s costs in 2018. Probably makes keeping it on the air a no-brainer for the network.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Gripweed posted:

They don't go to the main hole in the first season and the big finale stinger to get you to come back is that in the second season they will.

ahahahaha that's loving amazing

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Gripweed posted:

He shows up in season one of Curse of Oak Island! He thinks that Shakespeare left clues in the original folio pointing to the Roscrucians hiding the menorah from Soloman's Temple on Oak Island
I had no idea! Must've been nice for him to be on show where no one asks critical questions about his insane theories.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Gripweed posted:

Lmfao

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The Nova Scotia Business Initiative pair for like Half the show’s costs in 2018. Probably makes keeping it on the air a no-brainer for the network.

After reading up on the show a bit, I'm picturing Canadian government agents sneaking in every night for 7 years and sabotaging their effort to dig a hole.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rhyno posted:

Scottie Doesn't Know is a song for the ages.

loving facts.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I binged the new season of Sex Education this weekend. omg that musical lmao

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I've seen every episode of The Curse of Oak Island and I love it! The team loves doing what they're doing and they have the resources (Marty is worth a couple hundred million I think) to do real science and engineering. That's the appeal of the show for me; big equipment digging holes, seismic testing, chemical analysis of artifacts, etc. They've found some really interesting things, and even if none of the 'clues' lead them to any treasure a lot questions can be raised about what the gently caress happened on the island hundreds of years ago, because something definitely did.

Most of what they've found have been things left behind by previous searchers with some old tools that might have been used by the original depositors. And they've even found human bones in one of the pits.

In the S7 finale they discovered that the underground target areas have shifted some 10 feet laterally since the beginning of the season, which raises questions about just how far anything of value may have shifted over hundreds of years with all the searcher activity. Next year they plan to do a massive dig at the site of the original Money Pit (which they now believe they have found); excavating a giant hole 20feet across and a couple of hundred feet deep. As Marty put it, it may take 10s of millions of dollars to do it right and thoroughly.

I think something valuable was once there but it was probably already recovered (there's at least one plausible theory regarding who may have found it- a former slave who got rich somehow), but the potential for a little bit of history about the area to be rewritten is pretty compelling and I think the team is okay with that.

The ideas presented by some of the crackpots they have on the show can be pretty eye rolling, but the core team and the scientists they use seem pretty legit. I do wish they'd use a different narrator than the same guy that does Ancient Aliens.

The Skinwalker Ranch show is garbage so far but I'll watch it anyway.

e: i wrote way too many words about a goofy show no one cares about :v:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I have no idea what Oak Island is and fear I'm about to lose the rest of my Sunday to finding out.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Billions is getting good again

The introduction of Not-Bezos as a rival for Axe is welcome, and it seems everyone is getting new love interests

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MorrisBae posted:

Billions is getting good again

The introduction of Not-Bezos as a rival for Axe is welcome, and it seems everyone is getting new love interests

How is this season? I had to deal with the aftermath of an episode they filmed (why yes, bussing 50 extras down a windy mountain in a snowstorm is a great idea) which aired a few weeks ago but I haven’t gotten around to starting it yet. Does it have a crappy beginning?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The craziest thing to me about Oak Island is that multiple people have been killed digging for the "treasure". I can't imagine, say, Skinwalker Ranch continuing to be pumped out if people died looking for whatever the hell is supposed to be there.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

How is this season? I had to deal with the aftermath of an episode they filmed (why yes, bussing 50 extras down a windy mountain in a snowstorm is a great idea) which aired a few weeks ago but I haven’t gotten around to starting it yet. Does it have a crappy beginning?

No it was a good episode

They're finally shifting the alliances and you can actually see in the distance how the rest of the series might play out

No more divorce drama - thank god

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Joe Pera is a national treasure.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It sounds like Oak Island is a real life Venture Bros. episode

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Zero One posted:

Joe Pera is a national treasure.

He's a cool breeze on a warm apple night.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm rewatching Breaking Bad and amidst the many decisions Walt makes that set the course for himself I had completely forgotten that there is a moment in Season 4 of near serenity where he's healthy, he's rich, he and Skylar have just bought the car wash to launder the money, Skylar has sold a lie about where the money came from, Hank has closed the book on "Heisenberg" believing Gale to be him, and Jessie is finally getting his poo poo straight and they've avoided consequences from defying Gus and killing Gale... and Walt fucks it all up because he's miserable and a bitter rear end in a top hat about being out of control and needs to boast to Hank that Gale isn't the real genius he's been chasing.

Its such a brilliant, contemptible character episode that sums up Walter White perfectly. I don't think I'm enjoying this watch as much as when I didn't know what was coming, but in some ways I'm appreciating the series long take down of Walt more and really cracking up thinking about all those fans who kept making excuses for Walt all those years.

edit: Also Curse of Oak Island has the weirdest streaming situation. The first season is on Netflix but nothing more. Seasons 2-4 are on Prime. Seasons 1-6 are on Hulu. And all 7 seasons are on the History Channel site. Guess I'm gonna watch a dumb show about some kind of digging thing when I'm looking to turn off my brain.

Double edit: Netflix only has S3? So odd.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 25, 2020

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

isaboo posted:

I think something valuable was once there but it was probably already recovered (there's at least one plausible theory regarding who may have found it- a former slave who got rich somehow), but the potential for a little bit of history about the area to be rewritten is pretty compelling and I think the team is okay with that.

The ideas presented by some of the crackpots they have on the show can be pretty eye rolling, but the core team and the scientists they use seem pretty legit

I haven't been able to help myself from watching Oak Island since the very start and still find the core of it a fascinating story - there was some huge undertaking on the island(s) a long, long time ago and while it's doubtful any real treasure is going to be found there I'm still interested in hopefully finding out what went down there. I really do like the Lagina brothers and most of the locals who appear on the show, plus the actual science and engineering the show is fun. They seem to add a new Maritimer I really like each season too, this time a Newfie blacksmith that they felt they had to provide captions for.

As mentioned above, it's the crackpot theorizing that drives me crazy along with the production leaning into the most obnoxious elements of reality tv - unending recapping, reaction shots, dramatic music, etc.

It is funny that after all these years their next big project is to big a REALLY BIG HOLE. They said it's going to take hundreds of millions and 3 years to do it but I can't really imagine they can actually stretch out the show for that much longer if all they are doing is digging one massive hole after everything else they've tried doing.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

isaboo posted:

Scott Glenn. I completely forgot about Scott Glenn.

How did you forget about him? He's practically the main character of season 3.

(I am also rewatching with a friend who hasn't seen it. Only four eps in though. I wanna smash through it but he keeps dragging his feet.)

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Mythic Quest's quarantine episode was good and I liked it better than Parks and Rec. The Poppi scene was surprisingly emotional.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

STAC Goat posted:

I'm rewatching Breaking Bad and amidst the many decisions Walt makes that set the course for himself I had completely forgotten that there is a moment in Season 4 of near serenity where he's healthy, he's rich, he and Skylar have just bought the car wash to launder the money, Skylar has sold a lie about where the money came from, Hank has closed the book on "Heisenberg" believing Gale to be him, and Jessie is finally getting his poo poo straight and they've avoided consequences from defying Gus and killing Gale... and Walt fucks it all up because he's miserable and a bitter rear end in a top hat about being out of control and needs to boast to Hank that Gale isn't the real genius he's been chasing.

Its such a brilliant, contemptible character episode that sums up Walter White perfectly. I don't think I'm enjoying this watch as much as when I didn't know what was coming, but in some ways I'm appreciating the series long take down of Walt more and really cracking up thinking about all those fans who kept making excuses for Walt all those years.

edit: Also Curse of Oak Island has the weirdest streaming situation. The first season is on Netflix but nothing more. Seasons 2-4 are on Prime. Seasons 1-6 are on Hulu. And all 7 seasons are on the History Channel site. Guess I'm gonna watch a dumb show about some kind of digging thing when I'm looking to turn off my brain.

Double edit: Netflix only has S3? So odd.

Peacock just got the rights to A&E programming, so expect all of it there whenever.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

So after seven seasons...have they found anything on Oak Island?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I finally finished House. I don't know how people binge tv shows, that poo poo takes work

All in all it was a fun ride. remarkably consistent level of quality across the series even though that level wasn't particularly high. The three takeaways that jump to mind are

1) the level of sexism in the show was irksome, even disregarding some of House's dialogue in the earlier seasons (which would today be considered extremely uncouth). I noticed a pattern where female patents-of-the-week tended to have conditions that caused them to lie or deceive in some way whereas this was not at all common in male patients

2) Bryan singer was the executive producer. He's also a pedophile rapist

3) I really need to see more of Hugh Laurie's stuff