Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Blinkz0rz posted:

yeah vendor your poo poo unless you can absolutely guarantee that your builds will be deterministic

(vendor your poo poo)

pfft, weak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

rotor posted:

"we need some sort of system to control these jar versions"

"better make a new tool then, I don't think we have any systems for controlling versions"

this is how maven was born

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

don't vendor your poo poo, but do mirror the repos and pull from your mirrors not like github or nexus or npm or whatever

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
So like git submodules but without the tooling

Just vendor it, it's worth it

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
doesn't every currently production language have a way of specifying versions specifically so you don't have to vendor poo poo? Vendoring stuff sucks rear end

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I would rather vendor poo poo, by which I mean have a mirrored remote on my own infra, than rely on pip/npm/cpan/what have you being sane.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

"don't commit dependencies to source control"
"vendor your dependencies in source control"

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

by the way it's not like i hold some out-there opinion

https://martinfowler.com/articles/continuousIntegration.html#EveryoneCommitsToTheMainlineEveryDay

martin fowler has never been quiet about his derision for supposed "ci" built around PRs

taking on pull requests as a part of your workflow just fuckin blows up a lot of best practices that assume that people work together as teammates

An article that says you should fix broken builds on master, because the author never heard of gated check-in, is a credible support for you arguments.

:shuckyes:

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Donyou really think that when I describe a system that builds, tests, lints, and looks for breaks in GraphQL and OpenAPI schemas, that’s used create small feedback cycles that it there isn’t a CI/CD pipeline for the trunk also? But that pipeline has additional tests that take to long to run.

Like holy poo poo, just because you work with a bunch of morons that have PRs open for years that doesn’t mean PRs are bad.

The point is to get review from your peers and having automated checks just makes things better. You want to keep the PRs small, no way can you [b]properly[/] review a PR for a branch someone has worked on for a month.

I guess this is like the discussion around measuring coverage, where some of you moan about “then people will just write bad tests”... Bitch, call them out and show them how to write good tests!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

the talent deficit posted:

don't vendor your poo poo, but do mirror the repos and pull from your mirrors not like github or nexus or npm or whatever

I found out the hard way when I started wfh that all these lovely web applications based on old versions of Grails try to hit Maven via HTTP by default and that's no longer allowed. Had a brief freakout when suddenly stuff I hadn't touched in a year wouldn't build!

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you are opening a pr every day you have defeated the purpose of prs as a practice

i'm trying to imagine the work experiences you've had that led you to this conclusion, but i'm drawing a blank.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
"vendoring dependencies is dumb"

*npm goes down*

"why won't anything build??? no way to prevent this"

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Fiedler posted:

i'm trying to imagine the work experiences you've had that led you to this conclusion, but i'm drawing a blank.

Well, he is selected for his shoes, not his skills :shrug:

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

pokeyman posted:

*npm goes down*

as mentioned, set up a mirror in-house.

everybody checking in millions of copies of the same left-pad dependency is dumb, calling it "vendoring" doesn't make it less dumb

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

i only check in the highlights

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

pokeyman posted:

*npm goes down*

you say it like something preventing you from working that's entirely out of your control is a bad thing

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Merging the PR branch with master in a temp branch on the CI server before running CI is the correct strategy but in my experience I’ve never seen a CI system that supported this flow as default, or even that easily out of the box (all CI systems are trash).

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
https://twitter.com/garybernhardt/status/1264416621793120257

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Joke's on him, I code C++ for living (and also as a hobby).

mystes
May 31, 2006

Is longer better or worse?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

mystes posted:

Is longer better or worse?

when it comes to programming, you don't know a tool until you hate it

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

who would ever have thought that ~*fortune 500*~ companies would have horrible sdlc that have thoroughly infected nbsd’s brain

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The most baffling part is that he thinks CI should catch conflicting merges from PRs before they're merged together.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Aramoro posted:

The most baffling part is that he thinks CI should catch conflicting merges from PRs before they're merged together.

If you’re not using the Jenkins Quantum VCS plug-in you’re criminally negligent

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

If I never merge my code its impossible to tell if it works or not. Bug closed: fixed/not fixed.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Nike Running Club still being terrible. I unironically attained 420.6(9) miles and ran 10K yesterday. The distance synced with Apple Health but got lost in the Nike app itself. Run another 6K today and it registers correctly in both. Awesome.

ha, looks like Nike failed to sync last Saturday's run to Apple. So speedy, no one cares, :lol:

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 24, 2020

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Nice!

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

zokie posted:

Like holy poo poo, just because you work with a bunch of morons that have PRs open for years that doesn’t mean PRs are bad.

it sounds like nbsd IS the moron tho

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

leftist heap posted:

it sounds like nbsd IS the moron tho

:eyepop::eyepop::eyepop::eyepop::eyepop::eyepop::eyepop::eyepop::eyepop::eyepop::eyepop::eyepop:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

nbsd is just dense, not a moron. watching him (slowly) grow as a person is one of my favorite yospos minisagas.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

zokie posted:

Donyou really think that when I describe a system that builds, tests, lints, and looks for breaks in GraphQL and OpenAPI schemas, that’s used create small feedback cycles that it there isn’t a CI/CD pipeline for the trunk also? But that pipeline has additional tests that take to long to run.

The point is to get review from your peers and having automated checks just makes things better. You want to keep the PRs small, no way can you [b]properly[/] review a PR for a branch someone has worked on for a month.

All of these things can be done, oftentimes better and more efficiently, without PRs.

Some people are misunderstanding nbsd's point about hidden dependencies between branches -- you can't catch those by merging master into your branch before running tests, unless you have a queue of branches to be merged in a specific order, which no one does. Your "additional tests that take too long" to run on branches is another point against a PR-based workflow (you're still merging things that you can't deploy).

The typical PR workflow is designed to slow things down and enforce process and discipline. This is often very good when you're working on a large/critical system or with people who aren't disciplined, but saying they're universally the better choice is just cargo culting.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

I guess I think of them a sometimes-necessary evil, that should be avoided if you can get away with it, rather than something to strive towards.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
Are you specifically talking about pull requests, or code review in general?

Are there really places out there where everyone just yolo pushes to master?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

while working on feature F i did refactoring R. unfortunately there is no way to land R before landing F. F is taking two years. source of problem: pull requests

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

prs are a mechanism to facilitate peer reviews, and as such are bad

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Blinkz0rz posted:

yeah vendor your poo poo unless you can absolutely guarantee that your builds will be deterministic

(vendor your poo poo)

sometimes i wonder how much software future archaeologists will be able to build when they find a bunch of old source code sitting in an attic somewhere

plangs will be doomed. c/c++ projects will probably be okay

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

redleader posted:

prs are a mechanism to facilitate peer reviews, and as such are bad

i have no peers :smug:

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
spelling mistakes and small fixes can be pushed straight to test branch, worst case you get an automated email saying you broke the tests

but each of our repos is only touched by a small amount of people, we would be stricter if you could break the build for a large amount of people

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
aren't peer reviews like the one software development practice with actual peer reviewed evidence of promoting code quality?

wait a minute. peer reviewed studies of peer reviewing practices.... :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

i have no peers :smug:

same

dammit