Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

ZearothK posted:

The RC helicopter in Vice City is the worst control scheme in the history of humanity.

Vice City was a fine game, but that mission was horrible beyond belief, and it didn't help that it was one of the early ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Re: The Flame in the Flood

Call Your Grandma posted:

Do yourself a favour and ensure the permadeath mode is off. The core mechanics and presentation are great but the content doesn't expand a whole lot from after your first hour or so.

The game does becomes rather easy after the first couple hours. So I think it’s better to die a couple times in the beginning to experience at least some sort of survival story.

I like how you keep the items your dog is carrying and so you can give your next character a headstart. Just having a couple of empty jars at the start is great.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 24, 2020

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Makes me glad I crashed my boat on purpose on my first game about 2 miles down the river and then died of sepsis in the second game around the same area in my second game.

I don't even think hardcore mode is on.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Sort of a real-time X-COM? Looks a little janky.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/979640/Cepheus_Protocol/

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The kickstarter for the Escape Velocity Override remaster is finally 100% funded. Phew. I was worried when I first saw it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

The kickstarter for the Escape Velocity Override remaster is finally 100% funded. Phew. I was worried when I first saw it.

If you want an Escape Velocity game now, there's always Endless Sky.

You're not even forced to get it on steam, it's freeware! it has mods!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

GreenBuckanneer posted:

If you want an Escape Velocity game now, there's always Endless Sky.

You're not even forced to get it on steam, it's freeware! it has mods!

Yeah but I've played that and want something new.

Mordja posted:

Sort of a real-time X-COM? Looks a little janky.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/979640/Cepheus_Protocol/

Hell yeah slapping that on the wishlist

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Speaking of velocity, where's my remake of Terminal Velocity.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Hwurmp posted:

I only just noticed Velocity Ultra is on Steam, and currently on sale for $1.39. Ultra and its sequel were two of my favorite games on the PSVita; I couldn't say how well the touchscreen controls would translate to a gamepad or mouse & keyboard, but if "puzzle game disguised as a high-speed shmup" sounds interesting definitely give it a look.

This was sitting in my backlog, so I gave it a try, and I'm pretty pleased with it. I think for under $2 this is definitely worth it.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Anyone have some newer multiplayer Tower Defense recs? I have some from years ago (Defense Grid, Sanctum, Dungeon Defenders) but It seems like they really died off after that little surge. Preferably something that allows you to maze instead of predefined routes, but I'm open to whatever. VS mode would be fun too. I would just go back to WC3 customs but, well, you know.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Stan Taylor posted:

Anyone have some newer multiplayer Tower Defense recs? I have some from years ago (Defense Grid, Sanctum, Dungeon Defenders) but It seems like they really died off after that little surge. Preferably something that allows you to maze instead of predefined routes, but I'm open to whatever. VS mode would be fun too. I would just go back to WC3 customs but, well, you know.

X-Morph: Defense has some mazing and 2-player co-op.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 24, 2020

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
That Aegis Defenders game that was free a while ago on humble(and also at choice I think?) has local coop.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Aegis defenders is free on steam til the 27th I believe

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
I decided to try out that Lodoss War Deedlit metroidvania that's in early access and it's fun.

It's got great art/animations, the bow stuff is fun, and the main differentiator is an ikaruga type system.

The only issue is it's short so far, it's just the first level but they're planning release this year with 6 stages. For ten bucks I think it's worth a flier, and it's currently short enough you can finish it before the return period.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Don't get your hopes up of it coming out this year. The Dev's haven't been able to make any progress on the game while locked down in Japan with COV-19.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Stan Taylor posted:

Mindustry! Set up a maze with turrets and walls! Curse when enemies get through and cut your conveyor lines! Argue about how to set up the best silicon factory.

Not a one to one matchup to the examples you gave. But it is fun and cheap. Unfortunately the PvP usually devolves into having all your stuff surrounded by enemy conveyor belts.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
My one complaint with Mindustry is that flying bosses are some BS that will merrily fly around all your defenses and cut off some critical belt infrastructure

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
Saints Row the 3rd fan here. Anyone who is also a fan, buy and play the remaster? It's $30 currently at Epic, due to the sale, and I am considering it, but the price even with discount seems a bit steep for a remaster. Note: this isn't a call for opinions on how SR3 sucks anyways. I liked it a lot, and am interested in the remaster. Especially if they've fixed the co-op play, because I could never get the 3rd one to work in order to play it through with my wife.

thanks in advance

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

yegods posted:

Saints Row the 3rd fan here. Anyone who is also a fan, buy and play the remaster? It's $30 currently at Epic, due to the sale, and I am considering it, but the price even with discount seems a bit steep for a remaster. Note: this isn't a call for opinions on how SR3 sucks anyways. I liked it a lot, and am interested in the remaster. Especially if they've fixed the co-op play, because I could never get the 3rd one to work in order to play it through with my wife.

thanks in advance

I don’t know about the multiplayer but digital foundry did a YouTube video on it and as absolutely gushing with praise for the quality of the remaster, saying it was closer to a full graphical remake rather than just a simple upscale. So impressed they were theorising there’s another saints row on the way. If you liked it may be worth it

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
Annoyingly, they were gushing about the upgrade compared to the ps3 version. Don't care. They barely mention PC.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

funkmeister posted:

Annoyingly, they were gushing about the upgrade compared to the ps3 version. Don't care. They barely mention PC.

I assume the original PC version looks much like the PS3 version, only with more FPS, and maybe a bit sharper textures. The remastered version seems to have gotten a lot of graphics overhauls, so it would definitely be an improvement on PC too.

But I'm pretty sure it's not worth $30 of improvements, and since it's Epic exclusive there's no chance of getting a loyalty discount for owning the original.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

funkmeister posted:

:same: I would take this as a warning about any good PC ports.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Or you could just loving look with your eyeballs and see that it's most definitely way better than the PC version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ2Us_C1FTE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNhwSnDdvRM

Whether you want to play SR3 again or not they put a frankly absurd amount of work into it.

Orv fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 25, 2020

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

teacup posted:

I don’t know about the multiplayer but digital foundry did a YouTube video on it and as absolutely gushing with praise for the quality of the remaster, saying it was closer to a full graphical remake rather than just a simple upscale. So impressed they were theorising there’s another saints row on the way. If you liked it may be worth it

It doesn't need to be theorised. Volition confirmed one was coming last year.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
I wish they would have remastered SR2. The third one starts the descend into ironic selfparody and cartoony nonsense

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zeta Acosta posted:

I wish they would have remastered SR2. The third one starts the descend into ironic selfparody and cartoony nonsense

They’re doing a... I wouldn’t really call it a remaster, but an “unfucking” to get it working on modern hardware. The source code turned up and there’s two people working on it (one of which is the goon that did the Gentlemen of the Row unofficial patch, IIRC).

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i want to say... dojabud? pbuh

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Ugly In The Morning posted:

They’re doing a... I wouldn’t really call it a remaster, but an “unfucking” to get it working on modern hardware. The source code turned up and there’s two people working on it (one of which is the goon that did the Gentlemen of the Row unofficial patch, IIRC).

yeah i knew that, awesome. I never tried it on pc but it was one of my favorite xbox360 games. i heard that they are trying to unfuck the port. hopefully they can do something more

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Zeta Acosta posted:

yeah i knew that, awesome. I never tried it on pc but it was one of my favorite xbox360 games. i heard that they are trying to unfuck the port. hopefully they can do something more

They're also porting over the dlc that was console exclusive

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.

Orv posted:

Or you could just loving look with your eyeballs and see that it's most definitely way better than the PC version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ2Us_C1FTE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNhwSnDdvRM

Whether you want to play SR3 again or not they put a frankly absurd amount of work into it.

Thanks, I was convinced to purchase by those videos, and one other showing co-op play. Back into the row I go!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Saints Row 3 still at least has the occasional gut punch and strong story beat, though 2 did a fantastic job of making you give a poo poo about your lieutenants, the enemy gang leaders and their families. I don't recall much happening with the drug guys, but the Ronin and Brotherhood mission chains were fantastic.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That "drug guys" mission chain was like "we ran out of money" and the boss no longer had a voice at the end.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
sr3 was a slave to the expectations of volition's suits as the company circled the drain and suffered because of it, the content quickly wears thin and the sudden changes in tone and characterization compared to sr2 give you whiplash

the fourth game just went all-in on the wackiness, which is still inferior to 2 but at least doesn't have the identity crisis of 3

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

the most wild part of SR3 is how Shaundi completely changes her appearance and personality such that she's basically unrecognizable as the same character

SR4 did some fun bits with that at least so it wasn't a total wash

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
A goon did Gentlemen Of The Row? Love that mod.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, Idolninja I think.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

dmboogie posted:

the most wild part of SR3 is how Shaundi completely changes her appearance and personality such that she's basically unrecognizable as the same character

SR4 did some fun bits with that at least so it wasn't a total wash
I remember seeing an interview talking about the Shaundi storyline explaining her character transition (I think it was a developer talking about the original plans for Enter the Dominatrix) was sketched out but cut for the initial release SR3, eventually pushed into the last DLC, which itself was then cancelled and transformed into SR4 where it finally appears.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

idolninja! that's the guy. don't properly remember who dojabud was, hope he wasn't some sort of nazi kkk diaper fur fart barf enthusiast

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

SR3 let me hang out with Burt Reynolds and it turned out that that was something I sorely needed in a video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Halo MCC: I had heard when it first rolled out PC that there were some issues with Reach and since have heard generalities about it being buggy as 1/2 came out. Anyone have a feel for the current state of the game if you're primarily interested in playing the campaigns in coop?