Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sid Vicious posted:

I think what FAU said was said in anger

To someone bragging about paying for sex trafficked children, "kill yourself" is understandable mistake and not something they need to be dragged for.

Not really sure what's with all the hot takes lately like the Muerte thread being goons abusing a mentally ill man and something needing to make a point about a heated permaban reason (for a pedophile) I feel like someone is about to come in and defend this moron

Tiresias2 posted:

What about people that share similarities in upbringing or even have fears of being so or have the temptation but never do it? We shouldn't gently caress with them I say! In my opinion we should have an environment where people aren't afraid to talk about it.

My experience: I used to struggle with occasional desires for underage guys but then I introspected, found out why and changed that. You see, when I was a little kid my family was poor, so my mother, instead of giving me attention, was always taking care of some other family's kids. I acquired a subconscious resentment, I think, for unspoilt youth. But it wasn't justified: not only did my mother do everything she could to take care of me and my siblings, the more I introspected the more I realized that my childhood was wonderful, fun and perhaps even unique. Now I can appreciate the youth of other people as something that's not mine, and I also have less trouble getting it up for people my own age, and much more trouble getting it up for people not my age. Curiously enough I was also attracted to older people, which, if we're going to gossip about common traits among pedophiles, I suspect that isn't unusual among them.

"But why do these creeps care what other people think of them?" you might ask. Well for crying out loud it's literally a criminal disease of course they should be afraid. "Then they should just introspect without any of our acceptance!" You say. Well language is essentially social so if we aren't comfortable with the topic in society they'll have a harder go of it. But definitely we should be aware of Woody Allen types who just use psychoanalysis or whatever as a cover for the fact that they aren't actually dedicated to the hard work of introspection. People using psychology as a cover for their own failings is actually a common phenomenon if Karen Horney in her Feminine Psychology is to be believed.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

For getting banned for "just asking questions" about why he couldn't talk about his feelings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
FAU was right to say it, that guy most definitely enables some of the most heinous systems of abuse

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

pentyne posted:

Not really sure what's with all the hot takes lately like the Muerte thread being goons abusing a mentally ill man and something needing to make a point about a heated permaban reason (for a pedophile) I feel like someone is about to come in and defend this moron

they're trolls, OP

the person arguing that goons were harassing the guy and also decried the IK's call to shut up as "sweeping bigotry under the rug" also makes posts like this

Musharraf posted:

The strength of contemporary Something Awful is being a safe space for the queer illuminati, who revel in desecrating the carcass of a once-thriving website in increasingly petty ways.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sooooo

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Crocoswine posted:

the person arguing that goons were harassing the guy and also decried the IK's call to shut up as "sweeping bigotry under the rug" also makes posts like this

they recently tried to troll - of all the places on these dead gay forums - the loving fountain pen megathread. :allears:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Comrade Koba posted:

they recently tried to troll - of all the places on these dead gay forums - the loving fountain pen megathread. :allears:

I was literally just about to post this

Musharraf posted:

quote:

cobalt impurity posted:

It's stylish: Much like old-fashioned shaving has made a resurgence, fountain pens show an investment in the process of writing, rather than simply using a cheap (or even an expensive) ballpoint. Fountain pens can also be one of the few forms of "jewellery" it's acceptable for men to have. A nice way to show off and have a little personality while keeping it professional.

Does anyone else think this is deeply hosed up? No? Just some low-key gendernormativism, nbd. Cool cool cool

Trolling the most humble and benign thread, gj

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

My knowledge of goons would tell me that a megathread about an innocuous and innocent topic so trivial most people don't even think about would be the most enormous breeding ground for drama, hatred, and vitriol on the forums so kudos to them if the fountain pen megathread has actually managed to avoid that.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dude's been here over 15 years but 2020 broke his brain, hate to see it

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Xarbala posted:

Dude's been here over 15 years but 2020 broke his brain, hate to see it

Many such cases.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

My knowledge of goons would tell me that a megathread about an innocuous and innocent topic so trivial most people don't even think about would be the most enormous breeding ground for drama, hatred, and vitriol on the forums so kudos to them if the fountain pen megathread has actually managed to avoid that.
It's a vast improvement. The First Fountain Pen thread got shut down when they tried to start an "OG Nibba's" tag.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

For me, AI is like maybe the only forum I've never so much as clicked on. But whenever anyone mentions it it always super chill and great and supportive. Except like once every five years an AI saga comes into this thread and it's like "so we came together to help this recovered addict get his business together and fix up a classic car, and it turns out he was a rapist grifter. gently caress!"

I swear something similar to that actually happened. Also there was some guy motorcycling around America who ended up being a rapist too?

e: that may have been a regular cycler and thus not under the purview of AI

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 24, 2020

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The only drama I've seen regarding the FP thread came from other threads, from people who are for whatever reason bothered by the fact that it exists at all because in spite of not reading or participating in it they're upset at what they perceive as a goony-goony-goon overpriced hipster affectation. The problem is that everybody in the thread would readily acknowledge that and tell you that we don't give a poo poo, it's just fun to use a fancy pen.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I swear something similar to that actually happened. Also there was some guy motorcycling around America who ended up being a rapist too?
Wasn't there a trustafarian backpacking through South America that jizz3d on his girlfriend's sister while everyone was sleeping or something.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Heath posted:

The only drama I've seen regarding the FP thread came from other threads, from people who are for whatever reason bothered by the fact that it exists at all because in spite of not reading or participating in it they're upset at what they perceive as a goony-goony-goon overpriced hipster affectation. The problem is that everybody in the thread would readily acknowledge that and tell you that we don't give a poo poo, it's just fun to use a fancy pen.

It started here

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3358181&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post384982923

and then Tsaven made an alt to post an "apology" in E/N

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3368580

and the mods stupendously hosed up when becktastic went in there to give the truth about Tsaven's "goof" where he outright assaulted her and the mods banned her for offsite drama.
I may be thinking of a similar event where someone registered to offer their side of the story, beck's rap sheet is clean
The E/N thread is a loving trainwreck that should've been nothing but bans and probes like this poo poo

quote:

As a woman, I'll chime in and say that the OP did nothing particularly creepy. I mean they were in bed, making out, and engaged in overtly sexual activity. The girl sent him mixed signals about how much further she was willing to go, and he took it as playful.

The girl's the kooky one here.

meanwhile half the thread was "this isn't the truth what are you hiding" and the other half was finding ways to blame the woman.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 24, 2020

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

Wasn't there a trustafarian backpacking through South America that jizz3d on his girlfriend's sister while everyone was sleeping or something.

That was a .txt thing that I vaguely recall involving Bitcoin and also being fake. It was a guy visiting his girlfriend's family in Brazil, I think.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Moon Slayer posted:

This was posted in the schadenfreude thread and I reposted it in the funny quotes thread, but it's apparently a story that OP has shared a few times on the forums over the years so it counts as a saga.

Warning: :barf:
This skit is all I can think of
https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/rookie-cop/2868167

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That was a .txt thing that I vaguely recall involving Bitcoin and also being fake. It was a guy visiting his girlfriend's family in Brazil, I think.

Oh, I thought he was getting a goon saga mixed with the story of the perpetually masturbating couch surfing Super Smash player.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Oh, I thought he was getting a goon saga mixed with the story of the perpetually masturbating couch surfing Super Smash player.

I could be wrong, but I remember it being akin to the ANCAP guy in Greece or the Russian ambulance stories in terms of form and content.

Edit: Searched the forums and found a link: https://www.reddit.com/r/Buttcoin/comments/3f1c5e/eli5_braziltxt/

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 24, 2020

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

"Then it struck me: bitcoins" gets me every time.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the bitcoin thread had the best .txts

i never get tired of the greek ancap one where he starts to patiently educate greek anarchists about what anarcho-capitalism is when halfway through they start shouting "fascist" at him and break the non-aggression protocol by forcibly ejecting him into the street.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

For me, AI is like maybe the only forum I've never so much as clicked on. But whenever anyone mentions it it always super chill and great and supportive. Except like once every five years an AI saga comes into this thread and it's like "so we came together to help this recovered addict get his business together and fix up a classic car, and it turns out he was a rapist grifter. gently caress!"

e: that may have been a regular cycler and thus not under the purview of AI

i mean that was just a one time thing as far as I know but it was a pretty good saga until the end

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Gone Fashing posted:

i mean that was just a one time thing as far as I know but it was a pretty good saga until the end

That is definitely a different take on rape.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

xcheopis posted:

That is definitely a different take on rape.

I believe they are saying there was only one story along those lines, and it was a good saga until the end when everything went bad

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
yeah that's what I meant

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

I believe they are saying there was only one story along those lines, and until the end when everything went bad

Would it be talked about here otherwise?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

xcheopis posted:

Would it be talked about here otherwise?

are you claiming we never talk about bad sagas, because if so, I got some news for you

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

AI is definitely a good place and as far as I know has only had one saga that ended in that way.

We try not to bring it up out of respect for the parties involved.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

are you claiming we never talk about bad sagas, because if so, I got some news for you

I'm saying the "helped a homeless guy" is only being discussed because he is a rapist. It wouldn't otherwise have been here as "a good saga".

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

AI is definitely a good place and as far as I know has only had one saga that ended in that way.

We try not to bring it up out of respect for the parties involved.

Certainly shouldn't make jokes about it.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Speaking of AI, wasn't there a thread where a guy got one of the official Jurassic Park cars and asked for advice on how to fix it? He was throwing a fit about it having damage before it got revealed he had damaged it himself during shipping or something.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Speaking of AI, wasn't there a thread where a guy got one of the official Jurassic Park cars and asked for advice on how to fix it? He was throwing a fit about it having damage before it got revealed he had damaged it himself during shipping or something.

boomerjinks

He was popular for a bit then when the jeep damage happened he had gone to social media and doxxed the person he had talked to from Telltale so his social media followers started sending her death threats.

Or not, it's a loving mess between here and the Penny Arcade forums but who even knows what is and isn't real anymore.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3314547&userid=109933

pentyne fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 25, 2020

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

xcheopis posted:

I'm saying the "helped a homeless guy" is only being discussed because he is a rapist. It wouldn't otherwise have been here as "a good saga".

There have been other success story sagas mentioned. In terms of "helped a homeless guy" the GBS saga of helping Centripetal Horse comes to mind. There was nothing sketchy or bad about that one.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

pentyne posted:

boomerjinks

He was popular for a bit then when the jeep damage happened he had gone to social media and doxxed the person he had talked to from Telltale so his social media followers started sending her death threats.

Or not, it's a loving mess between here and the Penny Arcade forums but who even knows what is and isn't real anymore.

Thanks, he was exactly who I was thinking of! All of this was his own fault and the PR lady got doxxed because of him, what a shithead.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

From what I recall the (minor, non irreversible) damage made to his car was due to him not preparing the car properly for transport for the pr event. The lady who got doxxed also happen to just be some intern who has left the company, but I could have that mixed up with one of the many gamer gate like crusades in the past years

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
A sad AI saga was the death of Lobster Boys' Buick Special at the hands of a callous and uncaring Hollywood. If I recall correctly, he leased it for a chase scene in the film 'Indiana Jones vs The Crystal Meth Skull' with an agreement that they wouldn't scuff up the car too bad. They loving destroyed the car and said o sorry here's some insurance money lol.

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:

pentyne posted:

boomerjinks

surprised boomerjinks didnt eat a probe or ban for any of this bullshit, but he hasn't posted in 2-3 years

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:

dee eight posted:

A sad AI saga was the death of Lobster Boys' Buick Special at the hands of a callous and uncaring Hollywood. If I recall correctly, he leased it for a chase scene in the film 'Indiana Jones vs The Crystal Meth Skull' with an agreement that they wouldn't scuff up the car too bad. They loving destroyed the car and said o sorry here's some insurance money lol.

drat that was on here? I remember reading about this online where someone had sold their labor of love classic car to Hollywood for that movie. Not only did it get destroyed, the way I remember it they didn't even use the footage in the final cut

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Here is the Boomerjinks E/N thread that keeps getting referred to it has more information than the game thread:Reddit makes rape threats to a charity worker and I try to scam a small business

TL;DR Boomerjinks improperly prepared the jeep* for transport on bad advice from the trailer driver but Telltale also didn't provide enclosed transport(it was a transpo company recommended by BJ though) causing minor but still costly cosmetic damage, Telltale was slow in agreeing to pay for the damage, Boomerjinks posted a former Telltale employees full real name in a Reddit thread causing harassment, everybody involved is dumb Boomerjinks is a jerk.

Here is the deleted Reddit comment where he posted her info:https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/mbydq/i_let_telltale_borrow_my_jurassic_park_jeep_and/c2zqc4x/
Here is the Reddit thread she posted about the harassment:https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/mcy7l/today_i_received_nonstop_phone_calls_and_emails/

*He put a parking cover on the jeep that specifically advises against using it while the vehicle is being towed and there is speculation it came loose during the transport.
The Jeep with cover on trailer:

Edit:For anybody lacking the context on BJ he had posted about his cars a fair amount(he also had a ghostbusters car) including a goldmined thread about the Jurassic Jeep with pics of the Ectocar so he had the whole Forums Superstar thing going on.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 11:58 on May 25, 2020

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Tribladeofchaos posted:

AI has had a grand total of like 4 major drama events.
There was the Racist Mustang, Boomerjinks, the guy who faked having cancer and wrecking a Tesla, and the whole Trukk* saga.
And I guess that guy who wrecked his bike and lost his arm, but that was more of a Cycle Asylum thing.

Otherwise, its an extremely chill forum and definitely the best car forum out there.

* And honestly, up until the end, that was very much a goon success story. Dave had pretty much rebuilt his life and was getting things together. The community came together to really help one of its own in a major way there.
Yeah, we could have done some things better, but in the end, we came through and gave our best to someone in need.

Also, I really need to figure out what the gently caress I'm doing with that truck. Really need to get back to working on it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Wait didn't that guy who lost his arm also get a full-back leopard tat either right before or right after?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Wait didn't that guy who lost his arm also get a full-back leopard tat either right before or right after?

close, that was abunchofnumbers, aka backpanther/abackofpanthers, who lost an arm riding a bike that he was most definitely not at all prepared for, then bought a manual lamborghini with the settlement payout, iirc. He had a really horrible panther tattoo.

my brain is telling me he also crashed the lambo, but I'm not 100% sure on that