Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Have you ever been to the moon?
This poll is closed.
Yes 149 32.82%
Absolutely 100 22.03%
I want to talk to Samson 205 45.15%
Total: 454 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

The new quests tab is good

would be nice if they upped the quest/bounty limit or didnt make them a shared pool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Ham posted:

Destiny has some insane grinds (looking at you, Hush) but 200 Crucible shotgun kills or 1000 pve kills when you have so many horde modes and can run triple shotguns is not one of them. The "grind" is even easily achievable when you play the game as per usual, and if you're really not into shotguns then why would you grind for this?

For people like me who've completely lost interest despite getting the year pass, the point of contention isn't that some grinds are doable and some aren't. The point is that everything is now a number grind, and the game has fully embraced its digital spreadsheet nature. Despite all the poo poo the mini-expansions got back in the day, at least I'd actually play through them and somewhat enjoy the short time I had with them. This drive toward number chasing is just totally lost on me.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Ham posted:

The one consideration they keep mentioning is lowering TTK - would buffing SMGs/pulses/scouts lower TTK even further?

no, not really. look at the massive breakdown sheet and see:
https://www.destinymassivebreakdowns.com

the current meta TTK is around 0.7s. all the off-meta stuff either has TTKs way longer, or it's much more difficult to be in the right condition to achieve their optimal TTK

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Arkage posted:

For people like me who've completely lost interest despite getting the year pass, the point of contention isn't that some grinds are doable and some aren't. The point is that everything is now a number grind, and the game has fully embraced its digital spreadsheet nature. Despite all the poo poo the mini-expansions got back in the day, at least I'd actually play through them and somewhat enjoy the short time I had with them. This drive toward number chasing is just totally lost on me.

I can see how it sucks in context when everything in the game feels that way, along with them removing these weapon pursuits at the end of the season. As someone that stopped playing with Warmind and came back with Shadowkeep, I feel like the late Y1 and Y2 grinds (for both exotics and activity pursuit weapons such as Wendigo, Delirium, Redrix, etc.) are a lot worse than the stuff I've experienced since Y3 started.

Ham fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 24, 2020

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Swinging back into D2 this week after checking out of the entire season, just to grab 4th Horseman and Felwinter before season's end and I see that Bungie has managed one additional bug that most people will miss - if you didn't log in at all during the guardian games you still have the little notice in orbit to talk to Eva to start the quest, despite Eva no longer being at the tower.

At this point I'm assuming I'll just have that notice forever.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Y'all keep talking about PVP numbers which is cool but you're letting that control the entire game which is dumb.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Theoretical TTK is loving stupid. People use hand cannons, shotguns, and sniper rifles so much because this game is P2P and dumping clips into people only for them to turn around and one shot you is really obnoxious.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Mill Village posted:

Theoretical TTK is loving stupid. People use hand cannons, shotguns, and sniper rifles so much because this game is P2P and dumping clips into people only for them to turn around and one shot you is really obnoxious.
Which... which hand cannon is 1-shotting you?

Edit: A new post on Reddit attempts to consolidate everything we know about upcoming changes from TWABs (https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/gpdo4a/list_of_coming_changes_to_destiny_2_organized_by/). When reviewing it, boy does it look like Season 11 is going to be sparse on reasons to play.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 24, 2020

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Discospawn posted:

Edit: A new post on Reddit attempts to consolidate everything we know about upcoming changes from TWABs (https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/gpdo4a/list_of_coming_changes_to_destiny_2_organized_by/). When reviewing it, boy does it look like Season 11 is going to be sparse on reasons to play.

I never said anything about handcannons 1 shotting people.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Mill Village posted:

I never said anything about handcannons 1 shotting people.
Seek help.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Did anyone actually use the exotic from this season's reward track? I fired it once, saw that it damaged me as I fired it and put it in the vault.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's very good but there's no reason to use a 720 when 600s exist.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Is there a reason I shouldn’t frag everything that gets infusion capped if I don’t care about PvP?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Did anyone actually use the exotic from this season's reward track? I fired it once, saw that it damaged me as I fired it and put it in the vault.

It's good if you like hipfire bullethoses and synergizes well with devourlocks, but I like other guns better.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

RBX posted:

Y'all keep talking about PVP numbers which is cool but you're letting that control the entire game which is dumb.

PvP is actually the only good thing about this game.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
when is the season ending

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Rubellavator posted:

PvP is actually the only good thing about this game.

:wrong: it’s the raids OP

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

wiegieman posted:

It's good if you like hipfire bullethoses and synergizes well with devourlocks, but I like other guns better.

Wait, how does that work? I thought Devour only worked on void kills?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
No it’s any kill while you have Devour unless they changed it

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
Ah right, I was thinking of the build with Nezerac's Sin

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

plainswalker75 posted:

Wait, how does that work? I thought Devour only worked on void kills?

Devour procs on void ability kills or consuming your grenade and refreshes every time you get any kind of kill. Meaning only the initial kill has to be void ability.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Bust Rodd posted:

:wrong: it’s the raids OP

Raids and pvp are the two activities that justify the rest of the game's loot grind

Unfortunately, they gave raids a year off, so at least for year 3 it does feel like pvp is the reason for the season(s)

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bust Rodd posted:

Wait wait wait hold up?

Is Fly Molo the A Buff Gay Dude for the PC thread?

oh nooo :smith:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Raids and pvp are the two activities that justify the rest of the game's loot grind

Unfortunately, they gave raids a year off, so at least for year 3 it does feel like pvp is the reason for the season(s)

Also this might just be imagination but I feel like Garden is far and away the weakest raid visually. Mechanically the fights are fun, but it just doesn't have anything memorable or exciting. Last Wish is one of the coolest instances in any video game, I loved exploring that place and unlocking its secrets, and Scourge of the Past feels like a real series of encounters and hits a lot of levels, and obviously the Red Legion Raid Lair is just insane. Garden is like the same two tilesets (grass and stone) for the first 3 fights and then the bossfight which adds a little water feature so the whole raid just looks like a golf course. The other raids all had my attention for a lot longer, I was over Garden after like 2 weeks.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Speaking of PvP, it looks like this will be the 2nd time this season where the Trials population sees an increase from the previous weekend. This is the first time the Sniper Rifle has been available as the 3-win reward (the previous week-over-week increase was when the auto rifle was the 3-win reward), and now all weapons have now been featured at least once in the 3-win spot.

With the sunset mechanic fully explained and the current Trials gear aligned with Season 10, we'll probably see an even more drastic decline in Trials participation before its next loot refresh in Season 13. I don't think Bungie's promise of more rewards for completing cards or the addition of a Trials engram that can be redeemed without getting a 3-win card are going to make enough of a different to stop this.

Bust Rodd posted:

Is there a reason I shouldn’t frag everything that gets infusion capped if I don’t care about PvP?
I would keep any weapons/armor you actually like using, because I think there's a significant chance that Bungie winds up backtracking on the sunset mechanic, or they'll gently caress up its implementation so badly they have to delay it for several seasons.

Season 11 is going to have players earning loot that explicitly shows them in-game that it can't be upgraded any more once that season ends, and I think it'll increase opposition to sunsetting more than now.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Discospawn posted:

Based on what exactly?

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
^^no new raid, no new trials content, just the same boring seasonal treadmill?

Arkage posted:

Even the recent exotic quests have been low-effort grind + walking around a place listening to lore. D2 is basically Number Go Up: The Game now, and sunsetting weapons is only gonna push things further in that direction.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Fly Molo posted:

^^no new raid, no new trials content, just the same boring seasonal treadmill?

Even the recent exotic quests have been low-effort grind + walking around a place listening to lore. D2 is basically Number Go Up: The Game now, and sunsetting weapons is only gonna push things further in that direction.

Yea anther component is the near total lack of new locations to explore after the one big expansion, as well as the total sidelining of strikes. The mini-expansions had those, and I really find them invaluable towards my enjoyment of PVE content. Especially when enemies continue to be reskins and none of the plot lines for the seasons have any sense of urgency or importance to them. Sure they expand on lore, but that just isn't good enough for the amount of time it asks me invest.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arkage posted:

Yea anther component is the near total lack of new locations to explore after the one big expansion, as well as the total sidelining of strikes. The mini-expansions had those, and I really find them invaluable towards my enjoyment of PVE content. Especially when enemies continue to be reskins and none of the plot lines for the seasons have any sense of urgency or importance to them. Sure they expand on lore, but that just isn't good enough for the amount of time it asks me invest.

the last time we got new enemies to kill was, what, forsaken? All shadowkeep had was red hive and vex

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I think this game is just bad and no amount of new content is gonna fix it.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
i like this game, but would prefer it if the dev team did not repeatedly punch themselves in the testicles.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sestze posted:

i like this game, but would prefer it if the dev team did not repeatedly punch themselves in the testicles.

:bungie:

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
i do not understand the new mentality that people who dislike the trend for where the game is going are suddenly wishing on its death.

i like this game a lot, it's very fun. i put far too many hours into it. however, every time bungie takes a step forward, they take two steps back in some ways, and it hurts to see this happen.

the game survived a "gear reset" with Forsaken because you could still use y1 guns and infuse them, they were just worse than the other offerings due to random perk rolls on weapons and armor (with notable exceptions like Midnight Coup still shining through.) the game survived another armor reset with Shadowkeep because they gave us something new. Flexible armor that focused more on chasing stat rolls than perk combinations.

it took systems that were bad or mediocre and replaced them with better systems each time. I don't own a single piece of y1 or y2 armor, and I don't have any y1 guns left in my vault because they were left behind.

that's not happening with the new sunsetting system. they're promising similar, not better, and the same stat rolls with energy affinity, with different armor mod slots. I'm not getting a strict upgrade worth chasing, I'm getting a slightly different better devils to replace my y2 better devils.

i feel like an idiot for finding the matchmade events in Undying/Dawn to be boring, that monkey paw wish that we'd have something different resulted in public events. why in gods name would they look at EP's success rate and say "yes, we need another one of those"

after season of the worthy, I'm not seeing how they'd pull off a massive gear and armor shift without repackaging stuff and giving it back to us. kudos to people for having faith, but I don''t see it ending well.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

People are acting like they know exactly what Bungie is going to do with Season 12 and beyond when they really have no clue.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Mill Village posted:

People are acting like they know exactly what Bungie is going to do with Season 12 and beyond when they really have no clue.
A gradual diminishment of content, followed by periods where they increase the amount of content slightly, so that they can determine the least amount of effort while stringing along the marks who play this "game."

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Ham posted:

Based on what exactly?
Bungie's launch of the "Targeted Engram" system (66% of legendary engram world drops) that lets us... get the same loot as we had for each of the past 3 seasons (if you buy the season pass), in addition to new Season 11 loot.

The new World Loot pool (30 weapons shared between all 3 playlists and 33% of Legendary drops in the wild) that contains mostly old weapons, half of which will be sunset as soon as the season ends.

No new armor for Tower vendors, and the only new IB rewards to be "reprisal" weapons with new perk options.

A lack of any new incentive to return to Trials (on PC at least, I guess for consoles there's a chance their increased tokens & crafting materials for win cards makes a difference, but I doubt it). A lack of any new incentive to engage with GrandMaster Nightfalls (which Bungie admitted is by design, and still seems crazy).

A new precedent from this week's TWAB that Bungie can/will fundamentally alter how perks function, making the idea of anything being a 'god roll' feel tenuous. This is accompanied by some archetype changes and promises of more frequent archetype balancing in the future, which furthers the idea that guns you like now might be arbitrarily balanced at any point (even before those weapons get sunset). Avoiding this type of thing was 1 of the fundamental justifications for why they needed to implement sunsetting ("we can't balance everything, we don't want to change how guns work/feel, etc."), and they aren't even doing it in a way that makes the clearly sub-par weapons better (Scout Rifles, Rocket Launchers, 110 Hand Cannons, etc).

A reduced incentive to engage with legacy activities like Reckoning, Menagerie, Forges, etc. (due to sunsetting as well as the "active balancing" issues above).

A lot of these things are amplified because of promises they've made for Season 12 & beyond. Season 12 gets a Tower Vendor armor refresh, and seasonal mods on all Season 12 armor are forward compatible for a year. Season 12 has been promised to be less bounty-driven (no more weekly bounties, and reduced emphasis on dailies in general). Season 12 and beyond have been promised to have weapons and armor ornaments that are unique to each playlist, distinguishing their rewards from one another.

Basically, all indications are that Season 11 will be like Season 10 but worse. You'll have some seasonal activities to engage with, but the game will remain driven by bounties and grind-y quests. Playlist activities (and their loot) will seem less relevant than ever. And if you think you'll be playing the game for the Fall Expansion / Season 12, there's even less reason to engage with the fundamental gameplay loop in Season 11 because of how quickly you'll want/need to replace anything you received from Season 11.

I've found all of these announcements and decisions to be really bewildering, and they would only seem to make sense if the Fall Expansion fundamentally alters the game in some drastic, clever way that justifies all of these decisions. But jesus, you'd think Bungie would announce some of that stuff along with all this other news if that was the case.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Sestze posted:

i do not understand the new mentality that people who dislike the trend for where the game is going are suddenly wishing on its death.
kudos to people for having faith, but I don''t see it ending well.
Wait, which thing are you arguing for/against? Wait, what does "wishing on its death" mean? Wishing for it to die or something else?

I don't want the game to die, I just want a new game to come out.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Panderfringe posted:

A gradual diminishment of content, followed by periods where they increase the amount of content slightly, so that they can determine the least amount of effort while stringing along the marks who play this "game."

Lmao it’s still a game. I logged on yesterday and played for some hours and had some fun, this is ridiculous.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mill Village posted:

they’ve been pretty explicit that it’ll be more seasonal content similar to the past few seasons

which does not fill me with confidence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Mill Village posted:

I assume the correct reading of this is thst people act like they know what bungie is going to do, when they, meaning bungie, really have no clue