Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

thrawn527 posted:

Is pastor even a thing you vote on?

Absolutely. Voting on stuff and forming committees to find new staff members are core examples of “stupid church poo poo members love”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Branagh playing a Russian is a real immersion breaker for me. I grew up on Henry V and I just cant do it

Hopefully his accent will have at least improved since the Jack Ryan movie

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I think the trailer also needs to hold back so they have something to build hype if they end up delaying release until later in the year (or beyond).

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The teaser trailer trailer formula isn't even just for nolan movies or massey rafani trailers, it's the formula that is the basic strategy for movie campaigns in general. Often it veers off when needed.

But yeah if you like the trailers better than the movies remember that this is the guy who also did the Man of Steel trailer and welp.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

As a huge Hal Hartley fan, I approve of anything that gives Martin Donovan work.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I really do love the audacity of having the "You ever die the hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain" because obviously it sounds like this pretty meaningless line alluding to Harvey Dent's fate.

But it ya know, reveals the whole ending and thesis of the film, and is more about Batman than it is Harvey.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Seinfield voice:

Timeless Appeal posted:

"You ever die the hero"

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

confused posted:

As a huge Hal Hartley fan, I approve of anything that gives Martin Donovan work.

:same:

Although I don't think the guy has ever been struggling for work. He turns up all over the place, more on TV than film though.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dan Didio posted:

Seinfield voice:

Two-Face holding up his favourite, a cookie with equal black and white frosting: "Look to the cookie, Batman!"

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
HBO's Perry Mason "reboot" ... takes place in 1930s Los Angeles. Looks fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNATvJMPZaA

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BonoMan posted:

HBO's Perry Mason "reboot" ... takes place in 1930s Los Angeles. Looks fantastic.

I am all in on this.

Also, solid loving pick on the song (it's Solid Ground by Michael Kiwanuka if anyone is wondering. The whole album is great)

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BonoMan posted:

I'm sure this will kick rear end but also...

do a proper Mike Hammer adaption you motherfuckers

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Taintrunner posted:

I'm sure this will kick rear end but also...

do a proper Mike Hammer adaption you motherfuckers

Or a Sledge Hammer! adaptation. Do it, cowards.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Why are they even using the Perry Mason name? Like, wasn't he a loving lawyer and not a hardboiled detective?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

Why are they even using the Perry Mason name? Like, wasn't he a loving lawyer and not a hardboiled detective?

I think in the original Gardner novels he was a bit of both. A lawyer of the downtrodden who was at times more detective than lawyer trying to figure out WTF was going on with whatever case he took on.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Proteus Jones posted:

I think in the original Gardner novels he was a bit of both. A lawyer of the downtrodden who was at times more detective than lawyer trying to figure out WTF was going on with whatever case he took on.

Ah, the Phoenix Wright school of lawyering.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I mean honestly it kinda feels like True Detective season 4

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Maybe he becomes lawyer at end

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Snooze Cruise posted:

Maybe he becomes lawyer at end

and then everyone stood up and clapped

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Gimme a shared universe with Johnny Dollar and Richard Diamond.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

GrandpaPants posted:

Ah, the Phoenix Wright school of lawyering.

it's more or less the other way around, Phoenix Wright is pretty much just Anime Perry Mason

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

it's more or less the other way around, Phoenix Wright is pretty much just Anime Perry Mason

Both characters are named for a bird beginning with P - Perry being an abbreviation of "Peregrine" - and their surnames both mean "builder". I think that's pretty much explicit homage.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
A lot of new footage in this teaser for Lovecraft Country:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJV9acMsDwM

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw0-cV_J9q4

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I wonder how many years it is going to be before people start moving away from the clock ticking in trailers.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

kiimo posted:

I wonder how many years it is going to be before people start moving away from the clock ticking in trailers.

If they really want people's palms to sweat they should use the alerts and sped-up music from videogames that warn you about running out of time.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Lobok posted:

If they really want people's palms to sweat they should use the alerts and sped-up music from videogames that warn you about running out of time.

The music that tells you Sonic is running out of air makes me more anxious than anything else on the planet. To this day.

I never even owned a Sega Genesis.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The two most anxiety inducing sounds are the Sonic drowning music and the Unsolved Mysteries theme.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Groovelord Neato posted:

The two most anxiety inducing sounds are the Sonic drowning music and the Unsolved Mysteries theme.

Also that bedside clock alarm going off. You know the one.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For me the theme from Halloween always creeps me out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT4FY3NrhGg

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's a banger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7LKDueTkXM

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

muscles like this! posted:

For me the theme from Halloween always creeps me out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT4FY3NrhGg

There is a Dutch kids show from the eighties/nineties that used themes from Halloween and Exorcist (Tubular Bells) for scenes something tense going on. Which isn't much, because the crooks in the show are horribly inept at getting anything done. It was some prime WTF material growing up.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

There is a Dutch kids show from the eighties/nineties that used themes from Halloween and Exorcist (Tubular Bells) for scenes something tense going on. Which isn't much, because the crooks in the show are horribly inept at getting anything done. It was some prime WTF material growing up.

From your description I knew immediately what show it was, we watched it in Belgium as well. Here's a clip with the music playing. For the uninitiated, Bassie & Adriaan is a show about the adventures of a circus clown and a trapeze artist. The clown is always wearing his clown outfit and makeup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbDH9cwBnTs

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

This kind of seems like the "Navidson Record" from "House of Leaves"

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

AFewBricksShy posted:

This kind of seems like the "Navidson Record" from "House of Leaves"

Exactly my thoughts, particularly with the inside being bigger than the outside part

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/BillandTed3/status/1270339869533892610?s=20

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hm, alright. Not a ton of charm there, and the comic timing isn't great. And I dislike it visually to a significant degree. But seeing how we don't even really see the daughters do anything I'm thinking there's a lot more to it that they're not showing us. I'll watch it regardless but can't say I'm not a bit disappointed by that.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I can't not see it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I dunno, it has the right vibe for sure and it’s more a teaser than a full trailer. My hopes are still high that this will be good, silly fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Their buff prison future selves cracked me the gently caress up, not gonna lie.