Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

yes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

loving finally. Pisses me off we just pay the Russians to get to space for years now.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Time Crisis Actor posted:

Oh that’s awesome! Is that also the first manned SpaceX flight?

Yes

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

That Works posted:

loving finally. Pisses me off we just pay the Russians to get to space for years now.

We kind of blew up one of the tests a few months back. I'm a bit uneasy at the pace we've shoved this through, frankly.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Godholio posted:

We kind of blew up one of the tests a few months back. I'm a bit uneasy at the pace we've shoved this through, frankly.

It was a static fire of an already used capsule. They did fix what went wrong with that but they also said they will not reuse manned capsules for crew on the off chance that salt water fucks something up and it gets missed. Salt water is really nasty and while SpaceX initially planned to land Crew Dragon on land via its rocket system and parachutes to allow them to be able to reuse the capsules, NASA said no we want them to land in water, which means the capsules cannot be reused for manned missions.

E: their fix was replacing the valves that caused the issue by leaking oxidizer with burst disks so that nothing can accidentally leak past, but this also makes the crew dragons a lot more likely to be one use vehicles because once the disks are popped by the system being used, there's not really a way to reuse the system or shut off the flow.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 24, 2020

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Godholio posted:

Agreed. Not liking the rush but the Russians for our spaceflight thing I am particularly bugged about for a long time.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

orange juche posted:

It was a static fire of an already used capsule. They did fix what went wrong with that but they also said they will not reuse manned capsules for crew on the off chance that salt water fucks something up and it gets missed. Salt water is really nasty and while SpaceX initially planned to land Crew Dragon on land via its rocket system and parachutes to allow them to be able to reuse the capsules, NASA said no we want them to land in water, which means the capsules cannot be reused for manned missions.

Drop it in the great lakes.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The ocean is a lot bigger target.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Godholio posted:

Let me help that feeling out just a little more

NASA's head of human spaceflight abruptly resigns, citing 'mistake'

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Manned space flights doesn’t sound like a good idea. I don’t think there’s anything on earth immune to the stupidity that is 2020.

They’re gonna stumble on a black hole that opens the gates of hell like Event Horizon or something.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

orange juche posted:

Tell them to work out

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

orange juche posted:

It is, but they've been getting pretty good at dropping poo poo where they want it. Great Lakes gives them five good opportunities in a relatively straight shot.

Although they probably aren't orbiting above the Great Lakes so they'd have to burn fuel and poo poo to alter course enough to hit them.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Woofer posted:

Manned space flights doesn’t sound like a good idea. I don’t think there’s anything on earth immune to the stupidity that is 2020.

They’re gonna stumble on a black hole that opens the gates of hell like Event Horizon or something.

Yeah but could we tell the difference?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Yeah that's probably gonna bite the Artemis stuff in the rear end, but the thing this week shouldn't have anything to do with that.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Godholio posted:

And on top of that we've decided that we're going to let a company that employs Elon Musk as a hype man try it. On the other hand, we could have gone with Boeing.

:rip: US astronauts for the next few decades.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

BigDave posted:

Yeah but could we tell the difference?

Maybe they'll try to close the portal from their side

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Midjack posted:

And on top of that we've decided that we're going to let a company that employs Elon Musk as a hype man try it. On the other hand, we could have gone with Boeing.

:rip: US astronauts for the next few decades.

How much does dipshit actually have to do with the day to day? The idea that he is making important decisions is more worrying than anything else.

Motherfucker is just trump but for tech stuff.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

not caring here posted:

How much does dipshit actually have to do with the day to day? The idea that he is making important decisions is more worrying than anything else.

Motherfucker is just trump but for tech stuff.

Space Exploration Technologies Corporation is the least unsuccessful business Musk is associated with because he has the least to do with their operations. He really is just a hype man for them.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Woofer posted:

2020: the year we killed the moon with Coronavirus

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Midjack posted:

Space Exploration Technologies Corporation is the least unsuccessful business Musk is associated with because he has the least to do with their operations. He really is just a hype man for them.

Well that's somewhat comforting.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

If it makes you feel better the general vibe on that resignation is he thought the only possible chance to hit the 2024 moon goal was an integrated lander. Boeing was the only choice for that and he violated bid protocol and gave them competitor info to help them. They still lost.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Trump went golfing again today.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1264660811240419328?s=19

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I support the Great Lakes. Always have. They are beautiful. They are big, very deep. Record deepness, right?

Yes it's a Trump quote

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
God turmp can ruin anything he opens his mouth about.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Shouldn’t he be out doing something 4 are Troops this weekend?

Whatever he can’t disappoint me any more than he already has.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

The monkeys paw closes so violently that it bursts into flames.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I honestly hoped he would be the kind of guy to do absolutely nothing and just collect experts around him sit there and look smart nodding his head and let them do the big boy stuff while he got to play head of state.

Instead he’s actively ruining everything he touches. Just like his business. Who could have foreseen this happening?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I just can't say "he can't disappoint me any further" etc because my primary fear on his election was being turned into radioactive ash which I still think is a decent enough possibility.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

That Works posted:

I just can't say "he can't disappoint me any further" etc because my primary fear on his election was being turned into radioactive ash which I still think is a decent enough possibility.

As long as they blanket Colorado Springs with nukes, I'll go happily with it.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Loverro’s departure has nothing to do with this mission or its safety. The best guess from industry/news sources is he violated procurement rules in the break neck race to get back to the moon by 2024. He said specifically that his resignation had nothing to do with DM-2.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

one
hundred
thousand

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Buttcoin purse posted:

I support the Great Lakes. Always have. They are beautiful. They are big, very deep. Record deepness, right?

Yes it's a Trump quote

I would love to have a press conference where he goes into detail on what other geographic features he does and does not support.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

LingcodKilla posted:

Shouldn’t he be out doing something 4 are Troops this weekend?

I am sure the universe accepts this challenge.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Epiphyte posted:

Locusts are flying grasshoppers, not cicadas

Cicadas only danger is to your hearing, those fuckers get loud when a brood emerges

Cicadas will gently caress up orchards, but not on the level that locusts wreck crops.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This is the only kind of birdie Trump sees on his golf outings.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Yeah, there's been more than a little internal strife in the past year or so.

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

As long as they blanket Colorado Springs with nukes, I'll go happily with it.

One of my secret worries is, we live in ABQ right now and if nukes go flying I’m guaranteed a close to instant death. KAFB is one of if not the largest storage sites of nukes in the US. My wife wants to move us East of the Sandia mountains and I’m afraid that a nuclear strike might not kill us instantly.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/602571404861636608?s=19

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Scope posted:

One of my secret worries is, we live in ABQ right now and if nukes go flying I’m guaranteed a close to instant death. KAFB is one of if not the largest storage sites of nukes in the US. My wife wants to move us East of the Sandia mountains and I’m afraid that a nuclear strike might not kill us instantly.

I'm like, 5-10 minutes from Peterson. I'll go in a blast wave.

Moving up to Park county will maybe do some good. Not much up there worth bombing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

This is his best tweet, hands down.