Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I want King Shark to get a violet ring because he loves everyone...when he's not violently biting people's heads off.

"I never thought violet would be my color, but bitch I look ~fabulous~."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Lechtansi posted:

I really hope Harley & Joker stay broken up for good. I'm just not a fan of any of the plotlines from when they were together, and I'm tired of abusive relationships being glorified on screen.

Also, Harley and joker were together for like 20 years and nobody really cared about her. They break up and suddenly she’s the fourth pillar of DC superheroes. I can't imagine that DC would go back (but then again, it is DC)

I agree that I don't want any more Joker, but I'm pretty sure that a) she was pretty popular from the get-go and b) looking at the Wikipedia they broke up like fifteen years ago.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

Is he where the whole 'stuffed into a fridge' thing started? Then yes, do that.

Also yes to the idea of Harley and her crew just gallivanting around the DCverse and trolling everyone, especially if they get Lantern rings. I want Clayface to become a surprise Hasselhoff-type superstar on Oa, drat it!

Nah, maybe as a bit like King Shark getting a Violet ring or Psycho getting a Red ring. Otherwise, just add Dex-Starr to the squad.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I want Hamill to come onto the show...

...as Trickster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL-VHe_4GmE

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

...as Trickster.

Who do you think Kite Man's best man is gonna be?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Who do you think Kite Man's best man is gonna be?

Killer Moth? Crazy Quilt? Cluemaaster?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Xelkelvos posted:

Killer Moth? Crazy Quilt? Cluemaaster?

I said best man

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Blaise330 posted:

Harley goes back to joker

This is dumb as gently caress for a lot of reasons the most obvious one is someone crafting a coherent narrative deciding to then "burn it down lol" for internet troll points means they are lovely writers who, if they aren't rich white failsons, probably then nuke a lot of future career opportunities.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

The only thing I don't want to see is Dr. Psycho re-joker-fying the Joker because he wants Harley to get her edge back. Mainly because it's such a nice change of pace for Joker to be out of the picture for the rest of the series.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Lechtansi posted:

Also, Harley and joker were together for like 20 years and nobody really cared about her. They break up and suddenly she’s the fourth pillar of DC superheroes. I can't imagine that DC would go back (but then again, it is DC)

What? No way, Harley has been INSANELY popular for decades. She started out as a bit character created for a single joke on the animated tv series and then just kept showing up and eventually transitioned over to the comics proper because people just liked her so drat much. You're right that she shouldn't go back to the Joker though.

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist
Big lol at Ed Kemper in the crowd for Gordo's army-raising scene.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jerusalem posted:

Harley is such a better character when unsaddled from the Joker. Their relationship works as back-story for her continued development (including that one temporary backslide she had in season 1), but I'm hopeful all comics media eventually gets to the point where Harley is able to stand completely distinctly from him and they don't ever go back to trying to make them a couple again.

Every single version of the character (whenever there's a new comic, TV show or movie series) will at least start with them together, because super hero media just cannot get away from origin stories. We've got to see Uncle Ben and the Waynes die at least twice a decade.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

What? No way, Harley has been INSANELY popular for decades. She started out as a bit character created for a single joke on the animated tv series and then just kept showing up and eventually transitioned over to the comics proper because people just liked her so drat much. You're right that she shouldn't go back to the Joker though.

I knew she was popular among fans, but she only started hitting mainstream recently. Her solo book came out, then she was in a movie, then she got a (basically) solo film. I mean, poo poo the Harleen comic hit NYT bestsellers. Harley is hot as gently caress right now and it wasn’t until she ditched the joker and finally became her own character.

Tiggum posted:

Every single version of the character (whenever there's a new comic, TV show or movie series) will at least start with them together, because super hero media just cannot get away from origin stories. We've got to see Uncle Ben and the Waynes die at least twice a decade.

The interesting part of her her origin is how she fell for him in the first place and then her breaking up with him. Hopefully actual harley/joker shenanigans will fall into the waste dump where 99% of all comic book storylines end up.

Lechtansi fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 24, 2020

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Yeah its gonna be one of those cycles

I'm surprised we haven't had an episode about Harley trying to break away from her circus performer steeze though.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Tiggum posted:

When I saw Batman v Superman at an Alamo Draft House, they played every death of the Waynes on screen at once as part of the pre show entertainment.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Spacebump posted:

When I saw Batman v Superman at an Alamo Draft House, they played every death of the Waynes on screen at once as part of the pre show entertainment.

You have no idea how much I miss Birth Movies Death pregame show and Alamo in general.

I mean they played Seagulls Stop It Now before Rise of the Skywalker, on a big screen. Please do not yell at me about a movie I enjoyed I don't care.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lechtansi posted:

I knew she was popular among fans, but she only started hitting mainstream recently. Her solo book came out, then she was in a movie, then she got a (basically) solo film. I mean, poo poo the Harleen comic hit NYT bestsellers. Harley is hot as gently caress right now and it wasn’t until she ditched the joker and finally became her own character.

The interesting part of her her origin is how she fell for him in the first place and then her breaking up with him. Hopefully actual harley/joker shenanigans will fall into the waste dump where 99% of all comic book storylines end up.

She had her first ling run solo series like 20 years ago dude.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
To be fair, starting with her breaking up with the joker makes sense because it's a very satisfying moment and probably fun to write, it's just it wouldn't have any punch without starting by showing how crap the relationship is. I can see why they keep going to that well.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Motherfucker posted:

I'm surprised we haven't had an episode about Harley trying to break away from her circus performer steeze though.

I'm not, it's her basic skill set for fighting, and something she's been doing since she was a teen.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Just caught up on the latest 2 episodes and I don't remember the last time I involuntarily let out a loud "YES!" at the end of an episode of television so it was surprising that that is exactly what happened when Ivy and Harley kissed.

Really hoping they just polyamory this poo poo, classical conventions be damned.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

"What do you really want?", Ivy asks. Lit by the flames. Hair swaying in the wind. :allears:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

mllaneza posted:

I'm not, it's her basic skill set for fighting, and something she's been doing since she was a teen.

I mean, the way I envisioned it was something like trying a bunch've new dumb gimmicks before settling on remaining the same, still that would've been something I'd slot into the first two seasons somewhere by now it'd feel late.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I was not aware that Harley had a solo series back in 2001. I guess ill turn in my Real Fan(tm) membership card.

Anyways, i wanted to see if my theory held true so I checked Google Trends.

There was a tiny bump in interest when the 2013 comic came out, but the real bump was with the Suicide Squad movie. Since she was still with the joker at that time, i don't know if that counts as "solo harley is more popular the girlfriend harley" but the fact that DC is sticking with solo Harley for comics/DCEU shows where they think the popularity is.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Nameless Pete posted:

All episode titles from BTAS episodes with Harley in them. I appreciate it when a team puts some effort into the lorem ipsum.

:aaaaa: Holy crow, that's amazing.

Just the other day in the Funny Panels thread over in BSS, I posted about how I miss when comics put some effort into panels with a newspaper in them because there's often hidden jokes if you're willing to squint and read the text. Nowadays they mostly just fill the text portions with some lorem ipsum gibberish (which imo is super lazy since lettering is p much all digital now).

This show is golden because there's so many little details like that which will make it worth watching again, and the funny bits are so fast-paced I probably missed a joke here and there because my husband and I were laughing so loudly at the last one. :allears:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

...as Trickster.

SO on board with Trickster for best man. Since Hamill reprized the role for the CW Flash, he'd be on board for a few quick scenes, I'm sure. Also, I have never seen that short, and it is incredible, thank you. :)

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I'm also ALSO just now noticing that her file number is 09111992, the date of her first broadcast appearance.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Pretty cool easter eggs for the descerning fan.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
I lost it at that scene when clayface is practicing his 'drunk character' and when it feels like what he was doing was over staying its welcome psycho literally slaps the face off him, leaving an hilarious expression, and psycho delivering the best line "Shut the gently caress up!" :laffo:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I loved that he just said "Burp" instead of faking an actual burp. It was so on brand.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I was ??? by that because I can burp on command, even giant ones too. Problem is the giant burps sometimes get stuck. :(

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I was ??? by that because I can burp on command, even giant ones too. Problem is the giant burps sometimes get stuck. :(

is your name a nina hagen reference :thunkher:

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Chokes McGee posted:

With a picture of Nina Hagen as my avatar? - :iiam: hehe heh :) Guess you are a fan? Or just someone who knows who she is? Just VVVV this post, don't wan't to derail.

Edit: ^^^^ and vvvvv Yes.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 25, 2020

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Chokes McGee posted:

I wondered that too...

I just binged Harley Quinn season 1 and was not expecting it to be nearly as good as it was. I hope, once it’s done, season 2 gets streamed for us non Murricans soon.

I saw Stargirl and it was cute though I have one main complaint: it made me feel OLD. Pics from 2010 looked liked aged relics from the 80s and they kept talking about the golden age of 2010 like some mystical beforetimes. Are people who graduated in the mid 00s-10 ancient? Am I olds?

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I think I have to re-watch stargirl again - I was kinda drunk while watching it and don't remember much about it. Too many Quaran-tinis starting at the second I woke up. Fortunatly I can just watch it free whenever on the CW app again (at least until they remove it). But yes I think we are considered old farts now.

But looking at my parents wedding picture hanging on my wall from around 81 it looks old and yellowed as hell. Not sure if that was from just sitting underneath a bed in a box for years or just bad paper pictures were printed on at the time. Who knows.

Edit: Or is the CW version edited? The roku DCU app doesn't work very well on my tv so would rather watch it on my larger tv if going to watch it again.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 25, 2020

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.

Von_Doom posted:

I saw Stargirl and it was cute though I have one main complaint: it made me feel OLD. Pics from 2010 looked liked aged relics from the 80s and they kept talking about the golden age of 2010 like some mystical beforetimes. Are people who graduated in the mid 00s-10 ancient? Am I olds?

It's just the lazy way of letting the audience know it was an old photo, you're not supposed to think about it too long. Same with why he hid the photo in the frame behind the photo of him fishing. People do that with secret stuff, so the audience understands it's secret! Never mind the folders about superheroes/villains in the same trunk that weren't hidden whatsoever. Or what about the bad guy in his office opening the secret compartment to his spandex costume with that comically placed photo of his I assume dead wife hanging next to it. Guy has tortured past! Get it, audience?!

It's why I didn't really enjoy it. Too many corners cut to hurry through the origin, never letting the story breathe, and beating you over the head with clichés. But evidently I'm a nitpicky rear end in a top hat because most people don't seem to have a problem with it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Von_Doom posted:

I wondered that too...

I just binged Harley Quinn season 1 and was not expecting it to be nearly as good as it was. I hope, once it’s done, season 2 gets streamed for us non Murricans soon.

My hometown was created in the 40s. Talking to people about what it was like back when I lived there is like when I heard stories of the place back when it was founded. I kinda want to take a trip back to NM to look around but I don't know if I'm more scared that it changed or that it hasn't.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Edit: Or is the CW version edited? The roku DCU app doesn't work very well on my tv so would rather watch it on my larger tv if going to watch it again.

The CW version cut out about ten minutes.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dawgstar posted:

The CW version cut out about ten minutes.

Any idea which ten?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

BIG HEADLINE posted:

...as Trickster.

That was fun. Who is the poison ivy knockoff at the end whom I assume is also voiced by MH?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Warbird posted:

That was fun. Who is the poison ivy knockoff at the end whom I assume is also voiced by MH?

Swamp Thing. Depending on when you determine Ivy's origin (the first version of her was published in 1966), Swamp Thing is 'older' than she is, origin-wise.

He's also way more powerful than her. He refers to her as the "May Queen." There is an episode of JL:A where Ivy mind-controls him, though.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I completely forgot to answer a question, why did I think Stripey moved them to Cornhole Nebraska, because he had a map that suggested to me he had been tracking the movements of the villains that killed the JSA. Though I should probably watch the next episode if I'm going to keep thinking that.

I do hope the school stuff clears up, because it was by far the worst part of the series.