Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Housh posted:

What's the best way to have tabs in windows explorer? Functional ones you can drag and drop to each other too.

Buy stardock Groupy

or install Clover which will show you an ad once every few days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Woah this owns. You can even group dissimilar applications together.

No brainer for $5 and lots of options, too

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 1, 2020

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Klyith posted:

Buy stardock Groupy

Groupy is perfect. Thanks!

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
ConEmu can also do it, if you're willing to put up with a little bit of jank & configuration hassle. But it's also free.

e: ha okay so I go to try it just now and it doesn't work, so yeah buy the stardock app or whatever

Weedle
May 31, 2006

there's also an FOSS file browser called Explorer++ that has tabs, but yeah groupy is great

https://explorerplusplus.com/

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

Klyith posted:

Buy stardock Groupy

I use QTTabBar which I've never had a problem with, other than it being a pain to find and install iirc?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012
RIGHT OR WRONG, I CAN’T HELP BUT EXPRESS MYSELF LIKE A BRATTY CHILD. DON’T LISTEN TO ME.
Clover is Chinese adware with a privacy policy that lets it collect and sell just about everything it sees you do on your computer.
I have no earthly idea why people continue to recommend it.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene
Where could one find a list of software that is really Chinese adware with typical Chinese privacy policies of spying for the Chinese?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Nucken Futz posted:

Where could one find a list of software that is really Chinese adware with typical Chinese privacy policies of spying for the Chinese?

the google play store

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Is there a way in Windows 10 to sync Start screen/menu settings across machines for the same Microsoft account?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

beefnoodle posted:

Is there a way in Windows 10 to sync Start screen/menu settings across machines for the same Microsoft account?

There are some things you can sync on settings > accounts > sync your settings but it is pretty random as to what settings will sync.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Microsoft is enabling Direct3D proxying on WSL2 and apparently even wrote a graphics driver for Linux, meanwhile you still can't do that on regular Hyper-V VMs. :argh:

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Microsoft is enabling Direct3D proxying on WSL2 and apparently even wrote a graphics driver for Linux, meanwhile you still can't do that on regular Hyper-V VMs. :argh:

It's nice when companies have a vision........

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
This is such a minor thing but I don't get why Windows wakes up my monitor to show a lock screen every time I RDP to my computer.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
You mean why the wake rather than why the lock, right?

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Less Fat Luke posted:

This is such a minor thing but I don't get why Windows wakes up my monitor to show a lock screen every time I RDP to my computer.

This has always been the case with Windows desktop versions. They only allow for a single user to be logged into one terminal interface/desktop session at a time. This means that if even you are logged into your machine and then log into the machine remotely your previous session will lock. This does not happen with Windows Server as it as a remote login features and doesn't affect the local desktop unless too many remote users log in at the same time, then people start getting locked out. I believe the default for Server is 2 users.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
It's not the locking that I question, the system is already locked - it's waking a monitor that's completely asleep that's the weird thing.

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Less Fat Luke posted:

It's not the locking that I question, the system is already locked - it's waking a monitor that's completely asleep that's the weird thing.

Ah, your question as not phrased very well, but I digress. You need to go into your power settings and edit the plan settings for the display. Just set the display power down/off to never.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Nulldevice posted:

Ah, your question as not phrased very well, but I digress. You need to go into your power settings and edit the plan settings for the display. Just set the display power down/off to never.

Isn't that the exact opposite of what's wanted? Sure, Windows won't be able to wake the monitor anymore by virtue of it already being awake.

At least windows 10 puts the monitor back to sleep after 1 minute on the lock screen, instead of the regular amount of time configured in the power options.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Less Fat Luke posted:

Does it send a notification? If I get a hangouts message (with the extension in Chrome, so Chrome pops up a Windows notification) it wakes the display for like 10 seconds or something, and then it goes off again. Happens whether it's locked or not

Never used to do that but hey

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Geemer posted:

Isn't that the exact opposite of what's wanted? Sure, Windows won't be able to wake the monitor anymore by virtue of it already being awake.

At least windows 10 puts the monitor back to sleep after 1 minute on the lock screen, instead of the regular amount of time configured in the power options.

Yeah it's the opposite :)

baka kaba posted:

Does it send a notification? If I get a hangouts message (with the extension in Chrome, so Chrome pops up a Windows notification) it wakes the display for like 10 seconds or something, and then it goes off again. Happens whether it's locked or not

Never used to do that but hey
Nope no apps are even running when I RDP in. It's obviously not a huge deal it's just strange to wake up the monitor when remotely connecting to an already locked desktop.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Nah I mean does doing the RDP create a Windows notification like "heyyyy someone's in da computer!!"

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

baka kaba posted:

Nah I mean does doing the RDP create a Windows notification like "heyyyy someone's in da computer!!"

Yeah it just logs you off since you can only have one user logged in at one timel.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

redeyes posted:

Yeah it just logs you off since you can only have one user logged in at one timel.

Unless you have rdpwrapper set up of course. I've never seen a notification pop when I log in remotely so I doubt that is what would cause the wake.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Any ideas why I can't use the Windows Defragment/Optimize thing to trim this SSD and why it shows "Optimization not available"? I can do it normally on other drives, SSD or not

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 25, 2020

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Is it a very old SSD? If so it might not support the TRIM command.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

repiv posted:

Is it a very old SSD? If so it might not support the TRIM command.

Not that I know of, it's a Crucial MX500 that I bought in the end of 2019

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Have you tried Crucial's toolbox utility thingy?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mystic Stylez posted:

Not that I know of, it's a Crucial MX500 that I bought in the end of 2019

What is it connected to? Some older controllers can't pass trim commands. Depending on the age of your mobo you might have some sata ports on the chipset and some on a (cheap) integrated controller chip.

Also check drivers for your chipset / sata controllers.

Not being able to trim isn't the end of the world, the drive's garbage collector will eventually handle things. But without trim you're kinda back to the old days of SSDs where the advice was to keep 10% free space at all times.

SebAndSeb
Apr 23, 2007

hello
I've been meddling with some things I don't understand. I need to use Linux occasionally for one specific purpose and decided to try dual booting Ubuntu on a Surface Pro 3 since I didn't really want to mess with my desktop. I don't know much about this sort of thing but I followed this 5 year old guide and surprisingly got it going. I stopped at the part about installing drivers since the type cover etc seemed to be working fine already.

However... when booting into Windows afterwards it asked for the BitLocker key, which wasn't mentioned in the guide. I do have the key and unlocked it, but it just went into a loop after resetting, asking me to unlock again.

I've followed these steps which gets me back into Windows, but obviously with BitLocker disabled. If I re-enable it it goes back into the same loop. Is there something straightforward I can do to fix this?

I did see there's some more steps lower down in the original guide relevant to the bootloader but it seems like a bad idea to go further down that rabbit hole at this point. I'm fine with the GRUB bootloader coming up when I reset, just would prefer to have BitLocker on (I guess? tbh I didn't even really know about it until now).

If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be grateful, thanks.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
You should definitely turn bitlocker off entirely. Why would you be ok with Windows being encrypted and Linux not? I don't get it. Anyways, for this usage case, just turn it off.

https://www.manageengine.com/products/os-deployer/help/how-to-disable-bitlocker-encryption.html

code:
manage-bde -off <drive letter>
(from a command prompt)

Make sure and leave it here while checking status until its completely off
code:
manage-bde -status
[edit] WSL maybe?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Any suggestion on a decent registry monitor that's free?

I need to capture 4 entries in Local Security Policy so I can finish an Ansible deployment script.

I'm not really digging the ini output from secedit and I'm not even sure if it's the right tool for the job.

Registry entries are just easier. I think.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Matt Zerella posted:

Any suggestion on a decent registry monitor that's free?

I need to capture 4 entries in Local Security Policy so I can finish an Ansible deployment script.

I'm not really digging the ini output from secedit and I'm not even sure if it's the right tool for the job.

Registry entries are just easier. I think.

You can use processmon to track processes registry changes:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Re : bitlocker on a dual boot. No don't turn it off entirely, that's dumb

You might need to pause and then restart it again after you've made a change like that to re-etablish the 'trust' as it were. I'm sure there is a better term for that

It should work fine if the two installs are on separate partitions

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Skarsnik posted:

You might need to pause and then restart it again after you've made a change like that to re-etablish the 'trust' as it were. I'm sure there is a better term for that

I've never been able to get it to play nice with a Dual boot but then again, I don't have data that is local and needs to be secured.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

SebAndSeb posted:

I've been meddling with some things I don't understand. I need to use Linux occasionally for one specific purpose and decided to try dual booting Ubuntu on a Surface Pro 3 since I didn't really want to mess with my desktop. I don't know much about this sort of thing but I followed this 5 year old guide and surprisingly got it going. I stopped at the part about installing drivers since the type cover etc seemed to be working fine already.

However... when booting into Windows afterwards it asked for the BitLocker key, which wasn't mentioned in the guide. I do have the key and unlocked it, but it just went into a loop after resetting, asking me to unlock again.

I've followed these steps which gets me back into Windows, but obviously with BitLocker disabled. If I re-enable it it goes back into the same loop. Is there something straightforward I can do to fix this?

I did see there's some more steps lower down in the original guide relevant to the bootloader but it seems like a bad idea to go further down that rabbit hole at this point. I'm fine with the GRUB bootloader coming up when I reset, just would prefer to have BitLocker on (I guess? tbh I didn't even really know about it until now).

If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be grateful, thanks.

Can you run your workload in a VM? Because it would be simpler to run vmware workstation/player or something instead

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Similar issue, I have Ubuntu dual booted on my thinkpad. Now that I have a home lab with the vm there I want to nuke the old installation. What’s the best way to do that? Concerned about leaving bootloader hooks to something that doesn’t exist anymore. Can I just delete the partition in disk management?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
If you don't need a GUI then WSL works great as long as you don't have high IO needs.

WSL2 is fixing the IO issues and will be adding native docker too.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

If you don't need a GUI then WSL works great as long as you don't have high IO needs.

WSL2 is fixing the IO issues and will be adding native docker too.
They're working on fixing the gui thing too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SebAndSeb
Apr 23, 2007

hello

Skarsnik posted:

Yeah they are on separate partitions, I shrunk the main C partition to make space for Ubuntu. I assume it is something to do with flipping some internal 'trust' switch (Secure Boot??) but don't really know where to start, at the moment it says BitLocker is suspended on the C drive, but if i turn it back on it will ask me for the key again when I restart and I'll have to bypass and turn it off again. Maybe I should have paused it before making changes like you mentioned, I was really just following the guide and it only mentioned disabling it if it was interfering with shrinking the partition.

I don't actually plan on storing any sensitive data on this computer anyway, I mainly use it for streaming Plex and drawing. But yeah I guess encryption is generally recommended since it's there by default.

HalloKitty posted:

Can you run your workload in a VM? Because it would be simpler to run vmware workstation/player or something instead

I am planning to use it to follow an edx ROS course, and the course notes said it hadn't been tested using a VM and wasn't guaranteed to work. Possibly would be ok but I figure better to follow the supported set up.