Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

OscarDiggs posted:

How much do I need to know/read before getting into the Super Sons line? Obviously I know who the sons are, and other basic stuff. But as I recall Damien died at some point so if he's back for this particular run... well that sounds like background info I should know the hows and whys to.

Nah, you're fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Pretty much all the DC output done by Tomasi and Gleason is must read. I don't think I ever read anything by them I didn't thoroughly enjoy. Their Green Lantern Corps. book was super fun too.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Tomasi is probably the most underrated guy working at DC. Like you see his name on big books but he never gets the same hype as others. It's quite amazing to read books from the 90s and see his name as an editor and realise how long he has been in the comics field.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I might be putting Tomasi on my draft list.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Tomasi is the best guy to write a characters B book.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

He said no good reason.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Tomasi is so good. Even the arc where Robin is resurrected was a really fun look at him and Batmans relationship, and also sort of Batmans relationship with Superman. And then they tastefully never mention it again.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I have been a little let down by his Detective run, but only because everything else of his I read at DC was aces, and also because Tynion's run on Detective was so good.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

People don’t seem very happy with Tynion’s Batman so far. I’d put him as another support book guy.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Open Marriage Night posted:

People don’t seem very happy with Tynion’s Batman so far. I’d put him as another support book guy.

That's a shame. His Bat-family Detective run was great.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I have liked most of what he has done, but all his best work is on side characters where he has more freedom. His Detective was great, and I really liked Talon but most of his output is solid but forgettable.

Batman isn't awful, but it also just isn't very good. I hope Punchline doesn't turn out as bad as I think she will, but I can't say I have high hopes. Oh well, good Batman books are ultimately pretty common so a middling run for a year or so won't be a big deal.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I've been finishing up Tomasi and Gleason's run on Superman and it's really dang good. The only weak spot is the two-issue :patriot: America Celebration :patriot:. It comes out of nowhere and reads really badly if you're not from the United States.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Tomasi and Gleason Superman is the best run of the character of the decade. And it'd be a great run in any era. The unfortunate thing is the gap between it and the rest is so wide it really shows how bad Superman has been treated over the past few years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The county fair issue is probably my favorite Tomasi Superman story and it's in my top 10 Superman issues ever.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I read All-Star Batman and Robin and enjoyed it on the level that it reads like self parody by Frank Miller.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Roth posted:

I read All-Star Batman and Robin and enjoyed it on the level that it reads like self parody by Frank Miller.

He got mad that people made fun of the first issue so much, he turned the insanity to 11. I love the issue with Green Lantern tons, but his Black Canary was jaw dropping.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Jim Lee draws an excellent Dick Grayson. As Robin in All Star and Nightwing in Hush.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lord_Hambrose posted:

He got mad that people made fun of the first issue so much, he turned the insanity to 11. I love the issue with Green Lantern tons, but his Black Canary was jaw dropping.

If people took the series seriously after the Green Lantern issue then the problem was on them.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

To be fair that Green Lantern issue is like issue 8 out of 10

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Roth posted:

Does anyone know the real reason this thing never got finished? It was clearly a top seller, despite being completely bananas. Clearly something happened, because both Miller and Lee have worked with DC in the interim and neither are dead. I’d love to know the real story behind this one.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

Does anyone know the real reason this thing never got finished? It was clearly a top seller, despite being completely bananas. Clearly something happened, because both Miller and Lee have worked with DC in the interim and neither are dead. I’d love to know the real story behind this one.

They keep saying it's going to be finished but it never is.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'd like to know, too. I think maybe it just irreparably damaged the AllStar line because rear end was a classic and then then I'M THE GODDAMN BATMAN happened.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I’ve assumed it didn’t sell anywhere near what they wanted, and the creative team found better things to do. Frank’s heart was probably never in it in the first place.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

FilthyImp posted:

I'd like to know, too. I think maybe it just irreparably damaged the AllStar line because rear end was a classic and then then I'M THE GODDAMN BATMAN happened.

I thought they were running concurrently.
Wasn't All Star supposed to be DC's answer to Ultimate (new start without continuity)? Was it always supposed to have a finite point?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Madkal posted:

Wasn't All Star supposed to be DC's answer to Ultimate (new start without continuity)? Was it always supposed to have a finite point?

More or less; rear end #1 came out in November 2005 and wrapped up in October 2008. All Star Batman and Robin #1 came out in July 2005, and the last released issue, #10, came out in September 2008. So, both of them were really victim to a lot of delays, but basically ran concurrently, albeit ASBR with a little head-start.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I vaguely recall rumors, hints, and suggestions of ALL-STAR WONDER WOMAN and ALL-STAR FLASH books.

Seems like a no-brainer idea. Pair one of your highest profile writers with a high-profile artist on a high-profile character, and publish a non-continuity series that sells steadily for the next two decades as an evergreen TPB. I wonder why it wound down after one-and-a-half books? Even if you write off ASB&R as a misfire, the Morrison book fully redeemed and justified the concept. Maybe the endemic scheduling delays that How Wonderful! has cited soured DC management on the idea.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Madkal posted:

No. They weren’t supposed to be the same universe.

All Star Flash was going to be a Morrison book where Barry progressively becomes faster and faster, without being able to slow down, and how that effects his perception as he progresses towards light speed

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

All Star Flash was going to be a Morrison book where Barry progressively becomes faster and faster, without being able to slow down, and how that effects his perception as he progresses towards light speed

That sounds a lot like his All Star Superman

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Yes, but All Star Superman had a lifetime of stories before the plot. It’s almost like Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow. From what I remember, we’d get Barry from getting hit by lightning, to being faster than light. All Star Flash, I think, was later meant to be part of Multiversity Too, but that series hasn’t appeared yet either.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

These days the main reason it is a waste of Jim Lee's time to draw pictures for money. Simple as that.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Like a whole book about how Quicksilver doesn't like standing in lines at the ATM? Pass.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Grem posted:

Like a whole book about how Quicksilver doesn't like standing in lines at the ATM? Pass.
The Flash is more moored by his relationships though. It'd be a fascinating book if it, say, took his kids POV for an issue. As a kid Flashdad is always there to catch them before they fall, to get ice cream for them or to race to the Himalayas and grab a snowball for them. And as they get older he's less and less able to be in their lives, until he blips out and becomes intangible to them. And there's a whole absent parent/always working story there that handles their anger and eventual understanding. Probably drops in parallels to the way we mourn when our parents pass on.

Yet, there are times when a flat tire gets suddenly repaired so they can make it to their graduation. Or how every year, on the hottest day of summer, they look forward to a blanket of snow covering their backyard, etc. For Flash, he's seeing snippets of their lives as he comes and goes. Does he stop a tsunami and, say, miss out the first day of 7th grade as a result?

I could see the book moving towards the Kingdom Come version as a 3/4 mark of his power.

Great now I'm bummed that will never see press.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

The Flash is more moored by his relationships though. It'd be a fascinating book if it, say, took his kids POV for an issue. As a kid Flashdad is always there to catch them before they fall, to get ice cream for them or to race to the Himalayas and grab a snowball for them. And as they get older he's less and less able to be in their lives, until he blips out and becomes intangible to them. And there's a whole absent parent/always working story there that handles their anger and eventual understanding. Probably drops in parallels to the way we mourn when our parents pass on.

Yet, there are times when a flat tire gets suddenly repaired so they can make it to their graduation. Or how every year, on the hottest day of summer, they look forward to a blanket of snow covering their backyard, etc. For Flash, he's seeing snippets of their lives as he comes and goes. Does he stop a tsunami and, say, miss out the first day of 7th grade as a result?

I could see the book moving towards the Kingdom Come version as a 3/4 mark of his power.

Great now I'm bummed that will never see press.

Go even further with that progressively faster and faster thing in that while he always feels like he's with them in their lives since he has practically all the time in the world due to his speed, his kids only see flashes and glimpses of their father and as he gets faster and faster, it's more and more illusory. He always shows up to each and every one of their big days, but he's never around for more than a few seconds at a time and his speed is such that he goes from a humaoid blur in their childhood to basically a red ghost. They know he's there, but they never see him. He always hugs them and shows them affection, but it's so fast it's no more than a slight brush to them.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

“[I’m] doing the Flash almost as a sci-fi story where it’s a guy getting faster. Really simple, a Richard Matheson idea like “Shrinking Man,” or Stephen King’s “Thinner” where you just take a really simple notion — bigger, smaller. This one, he’s someone getting faster. What does that mean? And seeing how The Flash would emerge from just this very simple scientist getting faster story. So I’m doing that, and to a certain extent it’s a revamp, but it’s happening outside the main continuity.

I love Wally West, but this one I want to be Barry Allen. He fits in better. I like the idea of the police forensic scientist. And I know they’ve done a lot more of that in the recent [comics], but back in the day that was barely looked at. And I want to do the Iris relationship, the idea of this girl who’s like super fast in this city who’s obsessed with fashion and they all drink coffee. It’s just a fast city and [all that] information. And she can’t stop talking — like me, I can’t stop talking. And Barry’s this methodical guy and suddenly he’s like he’s on speed all the time and it’s just getting worse and worse and worse. And she’s kind of having to deal with her boyfriend who she quite liked as being the slow, methodical guy is suddenly turned into this pop star, this fizzing as if he’s on coke constantly. And there’s there’s also a tragedy of what happens as we start to approach the speed of light.”

Grant Morrison from this interview: https://www.cbr.com/cbr-tv-sdcc-morrison-talks-hindu-myths-his-final-batman-story-more-multiversity/

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I'm enjoying Tynion's Batman more than I enjoyed the back half of King's, with its interminable dream sequences and double-backs. I think the fact that the current storyline contrasts the relatively wholesome "retro" rogues with their completely gonzo modern selves is a nice way to textually acknowledge the shift in tone those characters have been subject to over the course of decades.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

If you're reading Suicide Squad, read it now before you get spoiled.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
No, fuckin spoil it here.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

My comic shop doesn't even get their shipment until mid-day Tuesday so I'm really looking forward to the upcoming years of just avoiding the comics internet on Tuesday to try and avoid spoilers for DC books.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Rhyno posted:

They all fuckin' die, man. It was a suicide mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I guess ted kord is a bad guy now