Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

not that I'm gonna disagree with Woolie hating Naruto now but his opinions feel very weird on the show.

He says stuff like "they do a wedding arc after the show ends? That's completely terrible and tasteless" and then 5 minute later says "if The Last is just the gang rising up against a new threat it's terrible but if it's slice of life exploring life after it would be cool". Like what does he want

Not that it helps that Minh is the worst at remembering anything ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Woolie has never had coherent opinions on anything in his life.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I think he was trying to convey that tacking an epilogue into the anime on after the point at which the manga ended was disrespectful to authors in general, rather than a wedding itself being tasteless. He was grouchy about the epilogue at all, not slice of life stuff

The Last, being a movie, operates under different general attitudes about that kind of thing

I don't entirely agree with him because we've got no way of knowing what was worked out with Kishimoto by the anime people, but Woolie's pretty consistent about his attitudes toward respecting a creator's original work as regards adaptations

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Pat dropping P5R from his streams feels almost as bad as when the Zaibatsu split up. :negative:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Patware posted:

I think he was trying to convey that tacking an epilogue into the anime on after the point at which the manga ended was disrespectful to authors in general, rather than a wedding itself being tasteless. He was grouchy about the epilogue at all, not slice of life stuff

The Last, being a movie, operates under different general attitudes about that kind of thing

So like blockhouse implied, woolie's got some strange definitions and categorization that's never really solid nor coherent.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Pat dropping P5R from his streams feels almost as bad as when the Zaibatsu split up. :negative:

no, this is an improvement to the quality of his content

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

That kind of stuff generally has to be cleared with the manga author* and almost certainly was if we're talking about a massively successful shounen thing, so that's a weird take.

*the last time I heard of an author being blindsided by adaptation changes is because it was their first time and they chose not to be involved

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Motto posted:

That kind of stuff generally has to be cleared with the manga author* and almost certainly was if we're talking about a massively successful shounen thing, so that's a weird take.

*the last time I heard of an author being blindsided by adaptation changes is because it was their first time and they chose not to be involved

Kishimoto definitely kept his hand in.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The Last''s story was written by Kishimoto. The novel the wedding stuff was from was written by a writer Kishimoto handpicked and has illustrations by him.

Woolie, again, doesn't know what the gently caress he's talking about.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It's basically how it messes the adaptation. At that moment, to him hearing it described by Mihn, sounded like if, say, GT happened but kept the Z name. It'd be disrespectful to Toriyama's manga to make original material and tack it on top right there with his name on it. Rather than what happened with Naruto where The Last happened, then the anime concluded the manga adaptation over a year later, and then adapted light novels that Kishimoto had approved of.

I'll give Woolie a bunch of slack because the end of Naruto is relatively confusing when from Naruto manga's end to Boruto anime starting there's two years of content taking place all over the timeline so you got scenarios of the post-manga movie happening in hte middle of the anime's almost-last-arc, novels coming out while the manga is over, Boruto starts but there's a year before the anime and the manga is retelling it.

And everyone wants to get Woolie to know their favorite part of Sasuke trying to stab Sarada, or Naruto and Hinata running through the AMV cave after blowing up the moon, or Orochimaru hanging out as a waiter in Konoha before congratulating Naruto and Hinata on the wedding. So Woolie just gets a lot of inconsistent info.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The Last is more entertaining than and hell, even has a teensy bit of pathos unlike, the back half of the manga's serialization.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Hinata tears a man's (stolen) eyes out and Naruto punches Jun Fukuyama across the entire circumference of the moon

The Last owns

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Rody One Half posted:

The Last is more entertaining than and hell, even has a teensy bit of pathos unlike, the back half of the manga's serialization.

Yeah, it was kind of surprising to me how good it was. I'm not sure if that's because it's a good movie or that the bar for Naruto was left so low by the end of the series that anything approaching quality just looks that much better

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Second act is kinda abysmal but yeah The Last is great and a ton of post-naruto content is way better than most ofthe manga.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

MorningMoon posted:

Second act is kinda abysmal but yeah The Last is great and a ton of post-naruto content is way better than most ofthe manga.
Are you talking about the filler arcs after the final Naruto Sasuke fight? (480-500)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Grouchio posted:

Are you talking about the filler arcs after the final Naruto Sasuke fight? (480-500)

Anything that happens after the end of the manga, including those novels, their anime adaptations, the movies, the one-shot mangas, boruto the movie, boruto the manga, boruto the anime, etc

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013
I wish anyone, Matt Pat Woolie Liam, hell even Minh or Reggie would get good at the Warhammer total war games just because everyone in that scene just completely lacks charisma

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
would them constantly failing campaigns due to rebellions (on easy), or pat restarting his 400 turn 2 province campaign because he lost a single settlement, really be that great to watch

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

AShamefulDisplay posted:

I wish anyone, Matt Pat Woolie Liam, hell even Minh or Reggie would get good at the Warhammer total war games just because everyone in that scene just completely lacks charisma

Pats trying.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Woolie's Mom: Eternal

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
The End of Dokapongelion has finally arrived.

Congratulations to the winner and all participants, for a complete and successful widely-broadcast full story mode playthrough.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
who the gently caress does woolie think he is, sneaking into my mom's linen closet and making a shirt out of her bedsheets

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Captain Invictus posted:

who the gently caress does woolie think he is, sneaking into my mom's linen closet and making a shirt out of her bedsheets

Woolie has finally harnessed the full power of Auntie Energy. Nothing can stop him now.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I once had a couch that if Woolie sat on it in that shirt, it would have been like him wearing a green shirt in front of a green screen.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Captain Invictus posted:

i missed the met gala

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dawgstar posted:

I once had a couch that if Woolie sat on it in that shirt, it would have been like him wearing a green shirt in front of a green screen.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
lol Woolie is salty and calling card combos in Teppen "Bugs"

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Tupperwarez posted:

Woolie has finally harnessed the full power of Auntie Energy. Nothing can stop him now.

Except, y'know, not being able to aim.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

plz don't dox, thanks

doos
Jan 1, 2015

Holy poo poo the absolute madman did it.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
I hope Woolie fully gave up on Kotal Khan last time. MK11: Aftermath -- He jobs hard enough in another timeline reset to get decapitated by Shao Khan off screen this time.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Nohman posted:

I hope Woolie fully gave up on Kotal Khan last time. MK11: Aftermath -- He jobs hard enough in another timeline reset to get decapitated by Shao Khan off screen this time.

I feel like everytime Woolie picks a favorite in a fighting game, they job out super hard in the story mode(Kotal, Necalli).

Even in the Tekken story mode, during the final fight he was ranting about how much cooler Heihachi is than Kazuya just seconds before Kazuya wins the fight and kills Heihachi.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Woolie's explanation that his mom was actually applying limiters to her Auntie Energy for the Doom Eternal LP intro is sending me. So good.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Rhonne posted:

I feel like everytime Woolie picks a favorite in a fighting game, they job out super hard in the story mode(Kotal, Necalli).

Even in the Tekken story mode, during the final fight he was ranting about how much cooler Heihachi is than Kazuya just seconds before Kazuya wins the fight and kills Heihachi.

Darli Dagger seems to be the only recent favorite that didn't get jobbed, but that's only because there's not a comprehensive story mode in SS7.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

And Darli was basically bottom tier until some hidden tech was discovered.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Re: the Lex Luthor aside in the podcast, I finally read Rex Son awhile ago and I'm a big fan of when Braniac won't let Supes talk to him because he calculates that Lex will convince Supes to kill himself in 11 minutes and then he beats Superman with a letter.

Course then it goes on to the PHENOMENALLY stupid ending and also that whole comic is the most :911: vision of communism generally and :ussr: specifically so yeah cape comics are still bad. But that PART is pretty good.

E: also yeah lol woolie being salty about Teppen deckbuilding tiers even though there's literally no difference between that and being a framedata goblin in fighting games

Like complain about the gacha (and booster packs for irl games because that's the exact same thing) sure but don't be mad that your non-mechanical gimmick deck can't hack it

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 10:02 on May 27, 2020

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Man Pat that was a mostly reasonable assessment of Korra, but gently caress, season 1 does not have the best villains when S3 exists. Hell S4 probably beats them too.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
"Who was that cool guy that died.....Rocky?"

"You mean Jet??"

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Pat's Korra read is mostly fair (And has actually made me go back to rewatch season 1/maybe 3 and finally do season 4), but also while objectively yes I recognize last airbender is the better show I will always like Korra more because I'm very biased towards the 20's New York thing and also it's a show about a muscly bisexual lady with a giant dog.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

To this day, I can't help but wonder how Korra would've turned out if the creators weren't kept in an armbar the entire time they were trying to make it.