Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Greetings alien forums. I am La Yknuf, of the Mirror Universe. I have made this thread as a bridge between our peoples, that we may understand each others' customs. Where I am from, we value evil, greed, hatred. We do not understand why your far weaker universe has chosen the puny ideals of love and community. Why, we would crush you ourselves if our evil scientists did not need to analyze your pitiful human concept of "getting food at a restaurant with a group of people." If ye speak for man, let now be the time. But so too let the wicked demons, of our great place, converse.

To quoth the Mirror Shakespeare; "What is the mirror but a double of ourselves?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

FunkyAl posted:

Where I am from, we value evil, greed, hatred.

I'm sorry, are you *sure* you're from a mirror universe and not a parallel one?

Also I thought that a mirror universe makes everybody the opposite of what they are, so in your universe Don Trump, self made billionaire hyper-genius who gave all his money away is now leading the world into a new golden age of equity and prosperity

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In my mirror universe we are unified under a single, altruistic governmental body that provides our healthcare, food, shelter, and basic wants at no cost. Our renewable energy initiative has been so successful that we have been able to repair the earths natural balance and soon mass production of synthetic meat will become available allowing us to free the last of our livestock.

Sadly the only music we have is analogous to your earth-2 performer Merzbow

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

FunkyAl posted:

Greetings alien forums. I am La Yknuf, of the Mirror Universe. I have made this thread as a bridge between our peoples, that we may understand each others' customs. Where I am from, we value evil, greed, hatred. We do not understand why your far weaker universe has chosen the puny ideals of love and community. Why, we would crush you ourselves if our evil scientists did not need to analyze your pitiful human concept of "getting food at a restaurant with a group of people." If ye speak for man, let now be the time. But so too let the wicked demons, of our great place, converse.

To quoth the Mirror Shakespeare; "What is the mirror but a double of ourselves?"

dude you got turned around. youre still in our original universe

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

What a lovely thread! I look forward to enjoying the comedy fruits it bears. Please let us know if this thread is open to all instances of mirror universe concepts, or specific to the Star Trek depiction thereof.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Squizzle posted:

What a lovely thread! I look forward to enjoying the comedy fruits it bears. Please let us know if this thread is open to all instances of mirror universe concepts, or specific to the Star Trek depiction thereof.

Consider this thread a hall of mirrors. There is no dimension too alternate. Also Be Silly.

cuntman.net posted:

dude you got turned around. youre still in our original universe

unlikely, i used to be right handed!

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm sorry, are you *sure* you're from a mirror universe and not a parallel one?

Also I thought that a mirror universe makes everybody the opposite of what they are, so in your universe Don Trump, self made billionaire hyper-genius who gave all his money away is now leading the world into a new golden age of equity and prosperity

In out universe, Donald Trump manages a Tapioca Yoca!, a pudding stand that only exists in the mirror universe. No, we live under the cruel grip of the Iron Carter, who changed the constitution and has had us by his yoke since 1976.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Actually though, does anybody know why the particles at the south pole could or would be recognized as an alternate dimension even if that was techniclaly inaccurate. Our evil scientists need this info, for our charitable purposes

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

FunkyAl posted:

So isn't the constant war, strife and intrigue of your universe constantly counter productive? You can make an empire, but kill half your otherwise productive citizens to do it. Furthermore, how do you stave off mutations of civilizations that can actually foster honesty and civic mindedness in your populace? Surely they'd wipe the floor with a nation always in a low grade civil war. Our "World War 2" actually gave us some real examples of this

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Nebakenezzer posted:

So isn't the constant war, strife and intrigue of your universe constantly counter productive? You can make an empire, but kill half your otherwise productive citizens to do it. Furthermore, how do you stave off mutations of civilizations that can actually foster honesty and civic mindedness in your populace? Surely they'd wipe the floor with a nation always in a low grade civil war. Our "World War 2" actually gave us some real examples of this

Let me just say that there is a LOT of cannibalism. We're cannibals numero uno over here. Our lifespan is also equivalent to ten of your earth years, we age rapidly, build incramentally enough of a church or a building or road or public swimming pool, then go to war at age nine and die in battle. To devote one's time to "honesty" and "civic mindedness" and "literacy" would mean you are also too weak to lift bricks and handle whippings by the age 8's, and then nobody would get to swim.

And what's REALLY backward is, we like your guys' world war 2. we think that's great stuff! the fire and dying and that crap. That's how bizzaro I am, in comparison to you! I am like your earth's woody woodpecker, but like evil.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Your universe is terrible, its supposed to be Roy and Siegfried, Tonic and Gin, News and The Huey Lewis

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm just glad I got a $99 dollar subscription to this site back when they were on sale. It's blown up so much I could easily sell this account for hundreds or thousands of dollars. Because SA is prime real estate for influencers.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Sharkie posted:

I'm just glad I got a $99 dollar subscription to this site back when they were on sale. It's blown up so much I could easily sell this account for hundreds or thousands of dollars. Because SA is prime real estate for influencers.

Yeah, I'm glad that smart phone fad went away. Care for a round of croquet in the influencers' zepplin level?

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

FunkyAl posted:

Yeah, I'm glad that smart phone fad went away. Care for a round of croquet in the influencers' zepplin level?

Of course! Just one moment, Kylie Jenner posted something about "keyboard goop" and it is blowing. up.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Sharkie posted:

Of course! Just one moment, Kylie Jenner posted something about "keyboard goop" and it is blowing. up.

Yes I too hate it when our organic computers produce their goops and pusses and their miserable, sour syrups. almost as much as their blinking, organic eyes staring back at me as i browse online shopping or watch the telly.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
How fucken awesome was that final season of Game of Thrones guys?!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pity about the MCU though. I don't know why they thought front-loading the first Avengers movie with a needlessly dark adaptation of Secret Wars was appealing to anyone.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
MCU sucks anyway, thank god for the DCCU, literally can't get enough of Nick Cage's Superman.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i went to an art museum the other day, finally got to see the hitler exhibit

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Two questions: in a mirror universe, do character traits get transposed (IE Quark being a humanitarian or Kira being a sex-crazed sociopath)? What traits don't get mirriored? Logic seems to stay the same - as does other intellectual characteristics. That's the only way I can explain O'Brian/Smiley, anyway.

Second question: how do you distinguish between mirror universes and bizarreo worlds?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
*Bogus Adventure's Mirror Universe counterpart never posts in this thread because he is a jacked, handsome, successful, sex-having superstar with a life, and would never post on a goon forum*

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Two questions: in a mirror universe, do character traits get transposed (IE Quark being a humanitarian or Kira being a sex-crazed sociopath)? What traits don't get mirriored? Logic seems to stay the same - as does other intellectual characteristics. That's the only way I can explain O'Brian/Smiley, anyway.

Second question: how do you distinguish between mirror universes and bizarreo worlds?

Interesting question! My assumption is that the mirror universe is a distortion, like a funhouse mirror, where your core essence gets twisted into new shapes by the whims of the universe, but deep down O'Brien's still a good bloke. And so was evil spock in the end!

What I DON'T understand is how all the characters end up on the same exact station at the same time. Why is Sisko there at all? The Borg never even killed his wife

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bogus Adventure posted:

*Bogus Adventure's Mirror Universe counterpart never posts in this thread because he is a jacked, handsome, successful, sex-having superstar with a life, and would never post on a goon forum*

Nice trolling, but here in the mirror universe, somethingawful is where the jacked, successful sex-havers love to post.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FunkyAl posted:

Interesting question! My assumption is that the mirror universe is a distortion, like a funhouse mirror, where your core essence gets twisted into new shapes by the whims of the universe, but deep down O'Brien's still a good bloke. And so was evil spock in the end!

What I DON'T understand is how all the characters end up on the same exact station at the same time. Why is Sisko there at all? The Borg never even killed his wife

Also Vic Fontaine is real. Rom was right, the mirror universe makes no sense.

I like the theory that Dragon Ball is actually set in the evil twin of Universe 6, where the Saiyans are heroic knights errant, and Earth nuked itself lifeless.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I can't believe how good 2020 has been. Every month a new development comes along improving the lot of humanity. First world peace is declared, then a cure for the common cold is found, then President Ocasio-Cortez announces climate change to be finally over, and then sexy aliens make first contact to share with us the recipes for fusion power, space travel and painless body hair removal. I hope things are going as well for you guys.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sure, my goatee is full and lustrous, but could it have more volume?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I like the theory that Dragon Ball is actually set in the evil twin of Universe 6, where the Saiyans are heroic knights errant, and Earth nuked itself lifeless.
Google isn't helping and I'm gonna need clarification on this.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

In Dragonball Super in the posters dimension, its revealed that every universe has a "twin" universe. The cast of Dragonball's universe twin has a totally blown up and devoid of life Earth, but the rest of the universe seems relatively ok and theres no Freeza running the show (their Freeza is a fraud, basically). Every other universe that then deals with the protagonist universe is like "holy moly you people are insane and too dangerous for your own good" or "wait, you were willing to consign multiple other universes to oblivion so you could get a boat"

In my dimension Dragon Ball Z is sitcom about a hillbilly farmer saiyin who struck it rich and moved his whole family to Salad Hills to the chagrin of the local stuffy types like Crown Prince Tarble

Barudak fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 26, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

mind the walrus posted:

I didn't exactly put that well so fair. Meandering exposition dump incoming, from here on you only have yourself to blame:

Dragon Ball Super kicks off by establishing some new things about the setting's cosmology; aside from that one of the top gods of the universe is Beerus the Destroyer, (who looks like a hairless cat-man) whose job is to destroy planets so that new ones can be created and eliminate things that are detrimental to the universe. It's pretty clear he's not very good at his job, and tends to destroy planets on a whim for ticking him off more than anything, and actually outsources his job to Frieza at one point. (You can probably guess what) Also that there are a number of alternate universes, referred to with numbers; the 'main' universe from our perspective that Goku and pals inhabit Universe 7, of course, and right next door is its twin universe, Universe 6. Their Destroyer is, of course, Beerus's fat brother Champa. On top of being 'next door' to each other on the universal scale, universes 6 and 7 are specifically noted to be similar in many ways, having many of the same species, planets, and even individuals; basically a mirror universe in all but name. (This is a phenomenon with other universes, though manifesting in different ways: Universe 11 has a bunch of powerful superheroes, while its twin Universe 2 has magical girls. At one point they show solidarity in how it's only polite to allow your foe to complete their transformation sequence before resuming battle)

In Universe 6, Saiyans in general appear to be fairly rough and tumble but likeable warriors from the planet Sadala who fight for justice on behalf of the weak, something like roaming bounty hunters apparently, though we meet one who's part of the space cops and a couple more who are leaders of a delinquent gang. This is obviously a bit of a shock when they meet the Saiyans of Universe 7, the last remnants of a near-extinct species that were used as living weapons of genocide until they were almost wiped out by their ruler and eventually killed him in turn. It also comes as a shock to them that Frost, a well known hero and philanthropist who defends planets from space pirates, reminds Universe 7's inhabitants of the murderous, sadistic tyrant who employed and then all but wiped out the Saiyans and countless other worlds. And also a bit of a surprise that most of Universe 7's heroes live on the planet Earth- whose Universe 6 counterpart was rendered uninhabitable through its inhabitants' senseless warfare long ago. This mostly irritates Champa because it turns out Earth has the best known food in the universe, and both brothers are obsessive gourmets.

ed: beaten and far more concisely, of course.

Dragon Ball Z is about Superman if he was Japanese and also Homer Simpson

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Barudak posted:

In my dimension Dragon Ball Z is sitcom about a hillbilly farmer saiyin who struck it rich and moved his whole family to Salad Hills to the chagrin of the local stuffy types like Crown Prince Tarble

In this Alternate Mirror Universe, I understand the appeal of Dragon Ball Z

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh right I knew all that. I forgot that the actual DBZ universe was Universe 7. I thought you were saying that the original Dragonball took place in a universe built on the remnants of a nuked-out Earth and I'm like "I kind-of see where you're coming from with the Lost World Dinosaurs and Capsule Corp and stuff, but I don't think that's really it."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Barudak posted:

Also I'd watch the hell out of this

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MY THEORY ABOUT THE MIRROR UNIVERSE:

It works like mirror tracks in Super Mario Kart games.

3d SMK tracks are constructed of tens of thousands of points with a x-y-z coordinate value. These values are ran through a transformation matrix to produce the inverse of x-y-z. All these values together make a mirror version of the original track.

The track and the mirror track are obviously inverses in some ways (turn left instead of right) but the coordinate transformation leaves some values unchanged. Inverse tracks have the same length, the same area, elevation remains unchanged, etc.

So, my theory is that the mirroring process dramatically transforms some values while leaving other values the same, as some values have identical inverses.

MY OTHER THEORY ABOUT THE MIRROR UNIVERSE:

Mirror universes are creations of the people traveling thanks to this inverse transformation, and cease to exist once the creators leave. This explains why the universes are almost identical, why you always meet your mirror or occupy their lives etc. As to why on DS9 the mirror universe had continuity, that was the logical result of DS9 having continuity.

Sharkie posted:

Nice trolling, but here in the mirror universe, somethingawful is where the jacked, successful sex-havers love to post.

That's weird because I msg'd my mirror universe counterpart and he's definitely the virgin to my chad??

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

DS9 would make a lot of sense if it wasn't necessarily the same mirror universe they went to each time. There's an explicit continuity error where Klingon ships decloak in the first visit to it, but it's a plot point later that the mirror Klingons don't have cloaking devices.

Still like the theories where mirror Borg are a peaceful, purely voluntary collective, and totally picture the mirror Dominion as basically the Federation founded by fun-loving shapeshifters, and the Jem'Hadar are fearless warriors who'll never hesitate to throw themselves into the line of fire to protect the weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Barudak posted:

Sure, my goatee is full and lustrous, but could it have more volume?

Fullness > luster> volume is the most important rule of mirror universe

In a perverse world, it's volume > fullness > luster, and I can't imagine living life like that.