Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

ManMythLegend posted:

My best shows ever, in order, were:
1. The first time I saw Andrew WK live.
2. The second time I saw Andrew WK live.

Jealous, what are his shows like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

i made my first cassette mix tape today.

i am making one for my Coast Guard BFF and all he told me to "make me something you can hear during the apocalypse"

i can put only Slayers songs in there, but i would appreciate suggestions.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

3. The Violent Femmes opening for Ben Folds.

Speaking of Andrew W K, made me remember back to this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KMV3dc2PbI

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

yeah how is a andrew wk show

he rules

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

A goddamn vortex of positivity and unabashedly dorky and awesome rock. I don’t give a poo poo if the conspiracy theories about AWK being a record label creation are true; dude shows up for his fans and genuinely seems like a good person.

I’ll have to go through my post history and find when I retold the tale of running into AWK backstage the first time I saw him play, but it’s worth sharing again. I think it was in last years dadchat thread.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
2007 Bonnaroo had The Police headlining one night, at the main stage (which) and the Flaming Lips were due to start their set right after on the second stage (what). I left the Police show early, because Sting was being Sting and I wanted a good spot for the lips. They came out an hour early for a soundcheck, smack in the middle of the Police set probably a quarter mile away, and played Sabbaths' War Pigs at max volume. After that they passed out some 500 laser pointers, set up the ufo stuff and loaded Wayne inside his ball, and it was assholes and elbows 300 feet out from the stage.

I managed to find a bit of acid earlier that day, just a ten strip, but I ate half of it before heading to the Police show, which put me in an excellent spot with Yoshimi as the soundtrack and a madman running on the crowd in a bubble ball.

That's been a while ago, and I still want to see another Lips show. Festivals are a great way to knock out a bunch of shows. Once this virus poo poo is tamed, not metaphorically, but seriously, I want to go to another couple of festivals. So probably in another decade.

I've somehow never seen Dave Matthews live, which is sort of an accomplishment.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

flaming lips would be another rad show

theres video of the daft punk show i went to

easily the best audience vibe for a show ive gone to. everyone was super happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWQllhDTNIk

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

yeah how is a andrew wk show

he rules

I can't even really describe the energy at his shows.

The first time I saw him was on a side stage at a Warped Tour. He came out of the gate strong and the entire crowd was juiced immediately, just hundreds of people going nuts but in a positive way with no pit. The crowd just kept growing as the show went on and random passerbys saw what was up. At one point during one of the songs AWK spun the mic over his head like a lasso and launched it out into the crowd where some dude grabbed it and started singing the lyrics to whatever song he was playing while Andrew just played keyboard for a while and then he just sort of kicked the mic cord back to his hand and the dude threw it back up to him. Unbeknownst to the crowd, AWK's stage manager (who, incidentally, looked exactly like the homeless caddy from Happy Gilmore) was secretly pulling people out of the crowd at random and sending them back stage during the show. The finale was Party Hard and when the beat dropped all of those people came flooding out from backstage and started going nuts out with Andrew. At one point this dude in wheelchair ends up at the front of the stage next to Andrew just chair dancing and AWK goes nuts. He tossed the microphone to someone on stage, grabs the wheelchair guy, puts him up on his shoulders like he weighed nothing, and they both started to dance all over the stage until the song was over. It was unbelievable.

The second time was in a much smaller venue: maybe 100 folks tops. The band was on the place's little stage and start time came and passed but no Andrew. Then this random dude in a hoodie walks in the front door eating a taco, weaves through the crowd, and hops up on stage. He finishes his taco, yanks off the hoodie, reveals himself to be Andrew and they immediately jump into the first song. In a venue that size, with that much energy, it felt like you were plugged into an electrical outlet the whole time. The crowd was hopping around like mad, almost like a mosh pit put without kicking and punching. During the set AWK would hop down and wander through the crowd during the show hopping around and going nuts too. Unforgettable.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
AWK is a bucket list show for me.

I really want to catch Mike Doughty sometime, he did a thing last year where he drove around the country and played in living rooms for groups of like 30 people, that would be cool as poo poo to see.
Really bummed out about all the concerts cancelled this summer, was hoping to catch Band of Horses and Greensky Bluegrass. Greensky had a thing a Red Rocks that I probably wouldn't be able to get a ticket for, and Band of Horses had a few nights lined up at a small venue in Fort Collins, would have been a perfect place to see them.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

So I couldn't find the post, but I'll retell the tale of the first time I saw Andrew WK.

It was the spring of 2004, and I was in college in Santa Cruz, CA. Our college radio station did this "Commercial Radio Sucks" festival, and somehow managed to get some bands to come and play the Quarry Amphitheater, which was quite literally an amphitheater cut into a quarry on the campus of UC Santa Cruz. Andrew WK was the headliner, and it was a beautiful spring day. Some of my friends worked for our campus radio station, which kind of acted as a de-facto backstage pass, which essentially meant free reign for our underage asses to get super wasted out of the eye of the cops who probably didn't give a poo poo that we were getting wasted to begin with.

After a long day of day drinking and too many blunts to count, AWK takes the stage and the crowd goes nuts. He churns through basically everything on "I Get Wet" and then closes out with "Party Hard", but not before inviting everyone up on stage to sing along. My friends and I were closest, so we basically got to do a sing-along with AWK. As the show was ending, I go backstage for some more drinks with friends, and see AWK talking with some of his band. I drunkenly yell at him "Andrew WK! You are all that is awesome!" He looks at me, storms over, puts both of his hands on my shoulders and yells into my face "NO! WE ARE ALL THAT IS AWESOME!" All I could think to do was shriek "YEAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!" in response.

A few years ago, he was doing this "Power of Positive Partying" speaking tour, wherein he detailed his own struggles with overcoming depression and basically held what seemed like a group therapy session with the audience in a fairly small venue. Afterwards, I went up to him and recounted the aforementioned story to him, and after I was done, he said that he initially thought I was going to tell him that he had been a dick to me, and that he was glad that we had such a moment, because 2004 was apparently a rough year for him and that show in Santa Cruz was one of the highlights for him. :unsmith:

Like I said, dude shows up for his fans.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

All i know about AWK is that he did a cover of anime songs a some time ago....

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
I really like the stories of AWK. I’d be lying if I said I knew any of his songs other than Party Hard, but these stories have inspired me to take in a bunch of AWK while I work on the yard tomorrow.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

ElMaligno posted:

All i know about AWK is that he did a cover of anime songs a some time ago....

I thought it was just Gundam stuff?

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

ManMythLegend posted:

Covid cancelled the Andrew W.K. show I was supposed to 'work'. I am so disappointed this show didn't happen. I wanted to meet the man that signed my friend's rear end in the middle of a record store. He's on my bucket list of shows.

:edit: pic

Brute Squad fucked around with this message at 08:03 on May 23, 2020

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Nine inch nails was still a great live show when I saw em last in 2014

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Grip it and rip it posted:

id def go see them too for sure

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Saw them at Red Rocks a year or two ago and it was eh

I saw them in 2008 and it was amazing. It felt like the energy just wasn’t there at Red Rocks.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Another I saw at Bonnaroo '07. Trent wanders out, plays a great set, then says it's his second to last NIN show ever, kills it for another half hour.

I wonder how many last shows he's had as NIN.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Another I saw at Bonnaroo '07. Trent wanders out, plays a great set, then says it's his second to last NIN show ever, kills it for another half hour.

I wonder how many last shows he's had as NIN.

oh i think thats a constant thing for anyone whose been together for that long in a music group

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I think he was in the middle of organizing another group at the time. I think Starfuckers reared its head around then, it's been a while since I paid attention to what reznor is up to. He just seems like the kind of guy that always has side projects ready and never stops working. Like Jack White.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I love NIN's instrumental stuff. Their soundtrack to the vietnam documentary is great

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Trent put out a couple new Ghosts albums about a month ago, in case you missed it

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

reznor's quake soundtracks rule

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Trent Reznor has done a lot of TV and movie soundtrack stuff, and it's all pretty good.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

not caring here posted:

Trent Reznor has done a lot of TV and movie soundtrack stuff, and it's all pretty good.

Yeah I'm just glad to see him making music.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Trent Reznor is great and I’ve been a fan of his ever since I heard the a remix of Closer that plays over Se7ens opening credits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEZK7mJoPLY

Best movie opening credits.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
I saw NIN and A Perfect Circle in... 1999 or 2000 in Miami and Lakeland.

APC hadn’t hit mainstream radio yet and set just wasn’t landing with me. But NIN’s set was amazing. Trent would poor water on the keyboard as Closer was ending to leaving it unfinished.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Do people still use Soulseek for music?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

NIN and Godspeed You! Black Emperor was a loving INCREDIBLE show. I had always thought I would see GY!BE in a burnt out farmhouse in the middle of the woods but an arena with big amps and production was actually really great for their sound. NIN was awesome too.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

One guy in my building decided to have a bunch of people over yesterday even though it’s explicitly not allowed right now. The apartment already has a rule that no more than two guests are allowed at a time (it’s not really enforced but it is a rule to prevent large parties).

They were out by the grill yesterday having a great time.

As a result, the apartment building closed the grill area completely.

Way to go dipshit.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Here's hoping your neighbor gets evicted for violating lease policies when the eviction moratorium lifts.

My complex uses violations like that to determine if you're allowed to renew. If they get more than a handful of calls about someone causing poo poo, they get locked out of renewal, and if it's a violation like grilling on your patio, they'll throw your rear end out within a month. Trouble is every other balcony/patio here has a grill on it, all violating local fire codes, and we're frequently under red flag warning here because of the dry/wind. Basically you have to get a ticket from the fire department or drat near burn your building to the ground to be booted for grills, which is super loving annoying to those of us that don't want a fire hazard burning under wooden balconies.

If people take their grills to the lot, I have no complaints, that's actually smart, but there's not many smart folk in my complex.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
https://youtu.be/RkubGZoqT1g

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Here's hoping your neighbor gets evicted for violating lease policies when the eviction moratorium lifts.

My complex uses violations like that to determine if you're allowed to renew. If they get more than a handful of calls about someone causing poo poo, they get locked out of renewal, and if it's a violation like grilling on your patio, they'll throw your rear end out within a month. Trouble is every other balcony/patio here has a grill on it, all violating local fire codes, and we're frequently under red flag warning here because of the dry/wind. Basically you have to get a ticket from the fire department or drat near burn your building to the ground to be booted for grills, which is super loving annoying to those of us that don't want a fire hazard burning under wooden balconies.

If people take their grills to the lot, I have no complaints, that's actually smart, but there's not many smart folk in my complex.

Real men put their grills right up against the siding.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Godholio posted:

:laffo:

Iunderstoodthatrefrence.gif

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Godholio posted:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Godholio posted:

:fsmug:

They also burn down apartment buildings.

Mitch ruled. :smith:

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Here's it's either 20 or 25 feet away, which for wood patios and and vinyl siding makes complete sense.

What it doesn't make sense for however is steel, form-poured concrete supports for concrete balconies, and stucco siding. I regularly get my charcoal Weber up hot enough that I never have arm hair because it gets burned off. Even if I dumped a full bag of fired up 3.6 roentgen heat level charcoal directly against anything it could possibly spill on outside on the first floor, you're not getting more than a little soot on some concrete.

Great, now I gotta name change to CHARCOAL DOESN'T MELT STEEL BEAMS.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Here's it's either 20 or 25 feet away, which for wood patios and and vinyl siding makes complete sense.

What it doesn't make sense for however is steel, form-poured concrete supports for concrete balconies, and stucco siding. I regularly get my charcoal Weber up hot enough that I never have arm hair because it gets burned off. Even if I dumped a full bag of fired up 3.6 roentgen heat level charcoal directly against anything it could possibly spill on outside on the first floor, you're not getting more than a little soot on some concrete.

Great, now I gotta name change to CHARCOAL DOESN'T MELT STEEL BEAMS.

Actually it does. Charcoal was used in furnaces before Coke (which is essentially super charcoal) blast furnaces took over.

Jet Fuel? Jet fuel doesn’t melt steel beams.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

oh god is local h still around? jesus

I saw them at a small local venue in MKE (Shank Hall) like 2 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Drop Kicks were always my favorite concerts. Got a rib broke in the pit 3 years ago in Seattle. Owe.

Back almost 20 years ago at the Sing Loud Sing Proud tour i saw them in Santa Cruz at the Catalyst. I drove my 3 friends with tickets to the show from the bay area hoping to buy a ticket at the door. However it was sold out by the time we got there. We sat in the bar drinking and my buddy somehow managed to get the girls from Thug Murder to hang with us for a bit and chat. Leathery little hands. So the show was about to start and my friends ditched me at the bar. I was a bartender too at the time and was tipping heavy and getting shitfaced. You could hear the show starting at the bartender asked me why I wasnt going in and I told him it sold out before I could get a ticket but I drove my friends. He was like "Dude that sucks. Tell you what do me a favor." then he handed me a water glass filled to the brim with rum and ice and told me to go give it to the door bouncer. Dude grabbed the drink took a slug, stamped my hand and pushed me through.
The concert was great. Spicy McHaggis was still in the band. Al Bar was on fire. Lars Frederiksen joined to play bass because Ken Casey had a busted hand. At the end of the show were they bring people on stage I got up. Then some neo nazi punk threw a seig hiel on stage and the guitarist swatted him off the stage with his guitar and jumped on him in the pit. One of their security detail proceeded to beat the poo poo out of another pair of neos and all three got thrown out the side door. Somehow the bass guitar got tangled up in some chicks hair.
Single best show I've ever been too.

Saw the Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs twice. Karen voice was totally shot and she shouldnt have been on stage the first time but the second time I saw her she was magnificent.