Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Swamp Thing. Depending on when you determine Ivy's origin (the first version of her was published in 1966), Swamp Thing is 'older' than she is, origin-wise.

He's also way more powerful than her. He refers to her as the "May Queen." There is an episode of JL:A where Ivy mind-controls him, though.

Ivy controlled Swamp Thing, who was co-created by Bernie Wrightson, who made Captain Sternn, who I included in my LPs.

So, basically, I was responsible for this show. You're welcome. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Swamp Thing. Depending on when you determine Ivy's origin (the first version of her was published in 1966), Swamp Thing is 'older' than she is, origin-wise.

He's also way more powerful than her. He refers to her as the "May Queen." There is an episode of JL:A where Ivy mind-controls him, though.

He's also mentioned in the previous HQ episode, I think, when one of them tries to convince the other to escape and one goes, "Who'll protect nature?" and the response is "Swamp Thing"

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I wonder if the show would be allowed to actually have swamp thing

also constantine

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Lunatic Sledge posted:

also constantine

I honestly don't see why not.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, I mean, if they let them incapacitate Batman and Phantom Zone the JL then they probably don't have lotta stuff that's off-limits.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Stargirl is fun. So far, not really exciting, thought provoking, or thrilling, but fun.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lunatic Sledge posted:

also constantine

Only if he's exes with King Shark :colbert:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Plothook: Lobo comes to earth and hooks up with Harley for a while. After some whacky hijinks, Harley learns that polyamory is fine and goes to talk with Ivy. DC, please make it so.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It'll be like that punisher crossover - "Harley and Ivy gently caress the DC Universe"

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CommissarMega posted:

Or currently dating King Shark.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Bruceski posted:

Any idea which ten?

Here you go: https://screenrant.com/stargirl-dc-universe-cw-pilot-episode-cuts-differences/

That does explain why some people thought it introduced a lot of characters when, to me watching the CW version, didn't seem that bad.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
There was also a movie made by Bruce Timm in the DCAU style that had Poison Ivy team up with Swamp Thing while Bats and Nightwing had to team up with Harley.

Angry Lobster posted:

Plothook: Lobo comes to earth and hooks up with Harley for a while. After some whacky hijinks, Harley learns that polyamory is fine and goes to talk with Ivy. DC, please make it so.

Harley hanging out with Lobo sounds like it'd be entertaining for sure.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

There was also a movie made by Bruce Timm in the DCAU style that had Poison Ivy team up with Swamp Thing while Bats and Nightwing had to team up with Harley.

Actually Ivy teamed up with the Fluoronic Man. Swamp Thing cameo'd though.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

It happened in comics and wasn't. Harley's Little Black Book has her meeting another hero/villain for a one-off team-up each issue and the sixth issue was her and Lobo. Sadly it's very underwhelming. There's just a lot of arbitrary fighting and then they bone. Perhaps the limited scope of a single issue meant they avoided doing much substantial, and the usual whacky humour is undermined by really dark and grungy art, but either way it's the weakest issue of the series and there aren't the hijinks you would expect from those two meeting. It's just punching, explosions, screwing, done.

It did spark a temporarily popular hypothesis that Harley is Crush's mother, but Harley's Little Black Book is extremely non-canon so that's unlikely.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

CommissarMega posted:

I have a lot of reasons for wanting to see Constantine in this show (cut Matt Ryan another check please) but that's the main one tbh

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Or currently dating King Shark.

Constantine dating King Shark (again) would be the best of this year.

Oh, and Stargirl is actually a very cute show. I haven't seen the second episode but the first one was good so far. I loved how campy the JSA looked like.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Desperado Bones posted:

Constantine dating King Shark (again) would be the best of this year.

Oh, and Stargirl is actually a very cute show. I haven't seen the second episode but the first one was good so far. I loved how campy the JSA looked like.

Stripesy struck me as creepy starting out and behind all the '50s town shenanigans but it turns out he's actually such a standup dude that it threw me off.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dawgstar posted:

Here you go: https://screenrant.com/stargirl-dc-universe-cw-pilot-episode-cuts-differences/

That does explain why some people thought it introduced a lot of characters when, to me watching the CW version, didn't seem that bad.

Thanks.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Brainwave is really nailing the "Nazi Scientist Steve Jobs" look.

If Gotham always has one foot in the 1930's and Metropolis is always about 15 years in the future, I see no problem with Blue Valley being perpetually Post-WWII.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Looking at the Stargirl banner, who would have thought the new JSA would all sit at the same table on the first day.

Second episode of Stargirl was solid?

Here's the zoomed in portrait of the Injustice Society at the end. Grundy is pretty much the background from this view.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Stargirl feels like it's written as low budget action show that might be more appropriate on Nickelodeon or Disney Channel, but with a proper cable budget. All of the hokey cliches in writing, but magnitudes more money for sets, SFX and stuntwork. It might just be Pilot/First episode kinks though.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Hypocrisy posted:

Looking at the Stargirl banner, who would have thought the new JSA would all sit at the same table on the first day.

Here's the zoomed in portrait of the Injustice Society at the end. Grundy is pretty much the background from this view.

Did DC steal Domino from Marvel?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

cant cook creole bream posted:

That's Tigress, a lot of folks (I was one) are just used to cartoon depictions where she's got whiskers drawn on and/or a mask instead of the eye spot.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Is the early 00s Birds of Prey show watchable? I'm running out of things to binge watch.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

cant cook creole bream posted:

That appears to be Tigress, who debuted in the 1930s though presumably this version will be based on the more recent second incarnation who started in the late 80s. Either way, she came before Domino.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Spacebump posted:

Is the early 00s Birds of Prey show watchable? I'm running out of things to binge watch.

Not especially. In the very first episode, the detective chasing Huntress catches her in an apartment and as she goes to leave, he suddenly stops and asks "Why don't you carry a weapon?" She smirks and says "I am a weapon." It's completely random and not a question a human would think to ask. It has an extremely 00's soundtrack. It comes from the time when superhero shows were still vaguely embarrassed to be superhero shows.

Dina Myers was a great choice for Oracle, though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The final fight in Bird's of Prey was :psyduck:

Everyone flying around set to Tatu.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

also constantine
Does DC have any stupidly awful licensing agreement split among their own comics the way Marvel does?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

DaveKap posted:

Does DC have any stupidly awful licensing agreement split among their own comics the way Marvel does?

It wouldn't be out of character, but it's unknown.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DaveKap posted:

Technically no but there have been issues in the past where execs have stated that there can't be multiple versions of one character across different shows. This happened back in the Justice League/JLU cartoon where all of a sudden Batman side characters/villains vanished from the show.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Technically no but there have been issues in the past where execs have stated that there can't be multiple versions of one character across different shows. This happened back in the Justice League/JLU cartoon where all of a sudden Batman side characters/villains vanished from the show.

The Bat Embargo. That's definitely weakened a lot as there's up to three or four versions of a given DC character now floating around in a non-comics medium, but there might still be some live action/animated limits or other odd network or medium limitations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

muscles like this! posted:

Yea i think executive meddling is more likely than rights being in a weird state. You can't reference Booster Gold, we have plans for him!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Hypocrisy posted:

Hell yeah. I don't even mind the Monster of the Week format it seems to be riding, so long as each villain helps build up the setting, the JSA's past, and Courtney/Pat's growing bond in and out of mask/mech.

Would more people be on board if they saw Luke Wilson working out the kinks in his mech, complete with wonky rocket punch, like we all do with our bipedal battle armors from time to time?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Space Fish posted:

Hell yeah. I don't even mind the Monster of the Week format it seems to be riding, so long as each villain helps build up the setting, the JSA's past, and Courtney/Pat's growing bond in and out of mask/mech.

Would more people be on board if they saw Luke Wilson working out the kinks in his mech, complete with wonky rocket punch, like we all do with our bipedal battle armors from time to time?

Well he'd be more relatable to be, a rocket punch robot hobbiest, and furthermore,

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That Stargirl was pretty packed.

So the villains are trying to carry on their supervillainy and powers to the next generation, right? It's their idea of a "legacy", and why they're going to be forced to maintain the masquerade of semi-normalcy, yeah?

That said, I'd love a Venture Bros/Tarantino mashup about a teen orphan who stalks and kills an aged supervillain crew who'd retired from crime.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I have a lot of reasons for wanting to see Constantine in this show (cut Matt Ryan another check please) but that's the main one tbh

Why do you something terrible to happen to King Shark?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Chokes McGee posted:

Stripesy struck me as creepy starting out and behind all the '50s town shenanigans but it turns out he's actually such a standup dude that it threw me off.

Pat and Mike being so incredibly nice is possibly my favourite thing about the show. Especially Mike though, because as the younger step-brother I expected him to be an arsehole but he's just not at all.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tiggum posted:

Pat and Mike being so incredibly nice is possibly my favourite thing about the show. Especially Mike though, because as the younger step-brother I expected him to be an arsehole but he's just not at all.

I also like that Courtney could have easily be written as a brat but she's more just... well, understandably disaffected. And it doesn't take her super long to start warming up to Pat at least.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Just caught up on Harley Quinn and poo poo, that's some sad end credit moment on the last episode.

Also were Kite Man's parents actual villains in comics? I'm trying to place who they are based on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I hope Jerry Seinfeld voices someone in this show eventually. Ideally involving the Penguin somehow, whether in flashback or the afterlife or something.