Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Rainbow Knight posted:

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was dog poo poo.

right on brother, I walked out of that turd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Shibawanko posted:

everything is dumb
FTFY

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
US Office > UK Office

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Shibawanko posted:

tv shows are bad

I would have totally agreed before I discovered Letterkenny, the best show.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Rolo posted:

Name one good French person

French Stewart

He squints too much

:laffo:

(I just saw that episode today)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Name one good French person

French Stewart

He squints too much

:laffo:

(I just saw that episode today)

The spelling bee episode is the most I’ve laughed at a tv show ever. Holy poo poo I was crying.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I put off watching letterkenny for ages because it had been so hyped up there was no way it was going to live up to it. I finally went and put on an episode and was laughing like a madman within the first minute. It’s such a funny show.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Shibawanko posted:

tv shows are bad

does Cobra Kai count as tv because it actually owns

hawowanlawow posted:

right on brother, I walked out of that turd

yeah i tapped out after the third “back seat whilst driving shot.” also all the hollywood poo poo rubs me the wrong way these days. when that whole sexist, rape-y, stupidly wealthy LARP town burns i will shed zero loving tears

Rainbow Knight has a new favorite as of 22:53 on May 24, 2020

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I put off watching letterkenny for ages because it had been so hyped up there was no way it was going to live up to it. I finally went and put on an episode and was laughing like a madman within the first minute. It’s such a funny show.
It is a good show and the people behind it have chops, but the whole "jock hicks making a sitcom about being jock hicks" thing does hit diminishing returns after a while.

PHUO-- The X-Men really don't work as a straight analogy for Civil/Gay Rights and it's both embarrassing and short-sighted to keep pretending they do. I am prepared to cite examples.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
For one, Being Gay isn't a SuperPower, furthermore

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Using superheroes/wizards/whatever dumb kid poo poo as an allegory for real things is dumb and bad.

Like, your fascist allegory is completely different if wizard Hitler actually has superpowers and is objectively superior to me because of genetics.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Backpacks are the only reasonable type of bag and the ongoing demonization of dyed-in-the-wool, take-no-prisoners Backpack Men like myself is stupid and is probably a plot organized by Big Purse

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

There is absolutely no reason to ever own an apple product like a mac or an ipad because they are just the same products except more expensive and less functional so that dumb people like them. Most people know this but somehow we still live in the unspoken consensus that it's a personal choice or that there are two sides to this coin when there clearly aren't and apple makes dumb computers. If you bought apple you made the wrong choice and you just did it because Steve Jobs made that one face where he grimaces while holding his chin and that's all it took to win you over. If you bought one because you think youre bad at computers you should just get better at computers because its easy.

There's Asus Guys (reliable, if a bit boring), Lenovo Men (intellectual and reserved.. it's not called a Thinkpad for nothing), Acer Bros (unconventional) and Dell Dudes (fun, playful, sexually open-minded), but if you own a mac i just presume youre at least a little bit stupid or at least vain

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The answer is usually vain, then again you just tried to sort a bunch of multinational tech companies into cutesy terms as a joke so glass houses

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
What if I have an iphone but a dell laptop

What if I paid for the iphone, but it was an old model already when I got it, and what if the dell is a "gaming" laptop my parents gave me for chanukah, that is also old and used

Mainly I'm fishing for confirming that I'm still sexually adventurous and vain

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Shibawanko posted:

There is absolutely no reason to ever own an apple product like a mac or an ipad because they are just the same products except more expensive and less functional so that dumb people like them.

I own an iPhone because it was my ex's old one and she wanted me to get rid of my 10 year old Nokia flip phone.
It was free and it still works, so there's a reason to own an apple product.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What if I have an iphone but a dell laptop

What if I paid for the iphone, but it was an old model already when I got it, and what if the dell is a "gaming" laptop my parents gave me for chanukah, that is also old and used

Mainly I'm fishing for confirming that I'm still sexually adventurous and vain

you should explain your situation to people when they see your apple phone

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Rolo posted:

Have you seen any of season seven though, because it is dire. I've haven't even managed to finish it because every time I watch an episode it takes me a couple of months to forget how bad it was enough to give it another chance. It had been slipping in quality for a while but season seven is, as far as I've seen, just irredeemable garbage.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Like, your fascist allegory is completely different if wizard Hitler actually has superpowers and is objectively superior to me because of genetics.
Actually it really wouldn't have mattered if Hitler was right about the genetic superiority of white people, his ideology would still have been abhorrent. That's a point you can make with supervillains. Magneto is correct that having super powers is awesome, but he's still the bad guy because that doesn't, in any way, justify trying to kill everyone who doesn't have super powers.

Shibawanko posted:

Backpacks are the only reasonable type of bag
My back gets all sweaty if I wear a backpack for too long. They are great for some situations though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

Backpacks are the only reasonable type of bag and the ongoing demonization of dyed-in-the-wool, take-no-prisoners Backpack Men like myself is stupid and is probably a plot organized by Big Purse

What's the difference between a backpack and a rucksack, or is there any?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Have you seen any of season seven though, because it is dire. I've haven't even managed to finish it because every time I watch an episode it takes me a couple of months to forget how bad it was enough to give it another chance. It had been slipping in quality for a while but season seven is, as far as I've seen, just irredeemable garbage.
You almost have to feel bad. 4 years of solid work and they're already doing meta "show within the show" and "taking seasons-old jokes and redoing them on a bigger scale as drawn out multiepisode plots."

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

mind the walrus posted:

PHUO-- The X-Men really don't work as a straight analogy for Civil/Gay Rights and it's both embarrassing and short-sighted to keep pretending they do. I am prepared to cite examples.
In the first X-Men film, Cyclops gets his sunglasses knocked off which causes him to accidentally blast a hole in the roof of a train station. Maybe it's because I live in a commie dystopia that doesn't let people wander around with assault rifles, but I saw that and thought "These people arguing for mutant registration have a point." Comparing the situation of "man who could kill you if he forgets his glasses should maybe be monitored by the government" doesn't really seem comparable to "man having sex with other man is somehow destroying the sanctity of my marriage."

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I know he requires special Ruby lenses to prevent his optic blasts from destroying everything however if he shuts his eyes that thin layer of skin seems to do the trick as well.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aramek posted:

I know he requires special Ruby lenses to prevent his optic blasts from destroying everything however if he shuts his eyes that thin layer of skin seems to do the trick as well.

He's half shark. The inside half. The inside of his eyelids is so smooth the rays slide off.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Aramek posted:

He absorbs his own powers, as well as his brother’s. Havok has a similar thing going on.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's even dumber than it sounds. Eyebeam guy has "concussive" blasts that originate in another dimension accessed through his eyes-- the same one where the Hulk gets all of his extra mass from when he transforms.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Unpopular opinion about Game of Thrones. The seasons/episodes with a focus on politics with a background of magic and dragons were a lot better than the seasons/episodes about magic and dragons with a background of politics. Also, the last season was perfectly fine and I've seen people complain about the dumbest poo poo in it.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What's the difference between a backpack and a rucksack, or is there any?
I'm not sure, but I feel compelled to share the fact that "ruck" means "wank" in Danish with all of you.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Aramek posted:

Of all games the Stalker series did it like that. Normal difficulty is more bullet spongey than hardest, where everything is super lethal, to you and the enemies.

But, such is life in the zone.
Call of Pripyat was a really fun game, but I don't know if I want to spend all the time it will take to replay it.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Have you played Sniper Elite 4?
No, but it looks interesting.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I don't like it when a TV show does an episode set in an alternate timeline of dream or whatever where the inciting incident or whatever of the show didn't happen. They always feel like big wastes of time, and usually are just for the purpose of a little bit of characterization that could've easily been accomplished in the regular show

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Gripweed posted:

I don't like it when a TV show does an episode set in an alternate timeline of dream or whatever where the inciting incident or whatever of the show didn't happen. They always feel like big wastes of time, and usually are just for the purpose of a little bit of characterization that could've easily been accomplished in the regular show

What I'm taking from this is you're not a fan of Star Trek.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

AlternateNu posted:

What I'm taking from this is you're not a fan of Star Trek Voyager.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

AlternateNu posted:

What I'm taking from this is you're not a fan of Star Trek.

I mean serial shows with an ongoing plot. It's totally different for episodic shows. When it's an episodic show they can do whatever and it's fine

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Buffy had an episode like that where alternate timeline Willow had been turned into a really sadistic, lesbian, vampire. Later in the series she started dating women and tried to destroy the world. Coincidence?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There has never actually been a good Star Trek. There have been decent Wars.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There has never actually been a good Star Trek. There have been decent Wars.

The Orville is the best Trek and the only one I’d call “good” without reservations and it’s not even actually Trek.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Kind of personal post but gently caress it. I know seemingly 99% of SA posters are the type who go “uh sorry but ARE TROOPS are actually the most evil people on the face of the planet today” but on Memorial Day I think it’s important to state that I, speaking only for myself, will never forget the sacrifices and the hardships that soldiers go through whether they are remembered by the public or forgotten by everyone. The courage and selflessness it takes to willingly go some places most would never choose to go and lay down their life is something that emotionally affected me more than pretty much everything else that happened in my life. I will always hold in my heart the ultimate sacrifice that Captain Kirrahe and his fellow troops made in Virmire when they held the line.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

you do not, in fact, "have to hand it to" oldpainless

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

oldpainless posted:

Kind of personal post but gently caress it. I know seemingly 99% of SA posters are the type who go “uh sorry but ARE TROOPS are actually the most evil people on the face of the planet today” but on Memorial Day I think it’s important to state that I, speaking only for myself, will never forget the sacrifices and the hardships that soldiers go through whether they are remembered by the public or forgotten by everyone. The courage and selflessness it takes to willingly go some places most would never choose to go and lay down their life is something that emotionally affected me more than pretty much everything else that happened in my life. I will always hold in my heart the ultimate sacrifice that Captain Kirrahe and his fellow troops made in Virmire when they held the line.

The punchline isn't strong enough for that much setup

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

oldpainless posted:

Based on television adverts Our Troops are mostly wounded by a regimen of drugs and alcohol and comradeship that ends when they step foot on US soil.

Then it's drugs and alcohol and suicide that really decimates them.

Don't anyone put up a counter for the number of former or current enlisted men and women that kill themselves on this holiday or any other day really

Just salute the loving flag ya commies

obligatory: more like old suicide is painless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

PHUO-- even on a very generous curve there has never been a single JRPG that told its story well