Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I just wanted to say that while the season was short, thank you to everyone in the thread for providing entertainment. :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

highme posted:

Timberline is reopening on Friday with a reservation system and pretty restrictive conditions. Looking forward to getting some laps in middle of next week.

It is cool that they are opening but I already put away all my ski stuff. But I kind of want to go. I also have two days left on a multi ticket deal I picked up earlier this year....hmmm will have to think on it. Let me know how the conditions are.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

fknlo posted:

Ikon doesn't appear to be doing poo poo.

Start shaming them on social media and they will probably end up matching what Vail resorts does in the end

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

IncredibleIgloo posted:

It is cool that they are opening but I already put away all my ski stuff. But I kind of want to go. I also have two days left on a multi ticket deal I picked up earlier this year....hmmm will have to think on it. Let me know how the conditions are.

Wasn't planning on going tomorrow, but looking at the weather and my meeting schedules tomorrow is a better day for me than middle of the week, so I decided I'd see if I could get a reservation and did. They were probably gone in 5-10 minutes.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Sunshine renewal deal came through about a week ago, $700 for the season is pretty good if it happens and they’re saying no questions asked refunds until you start using your pass.

Ski Big 3 is only $1k CAD on renewals as well which is a screaming deal IMO.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Hey you all should check out Mountainfilm. It’s our Memorial Day film festival which is being streamed this year. It’s all documentaries and they’re usually really great. You can buy a pass for $75 to see the whole festival which is way cheaper than if it was a live event.

highme
May 25, 2001

Got 10k vertical in 3ish hours today. There was a groomed lane 10-15 cats wide from the top of Magic Mile that was mostly slushy chunder. They were also running Stormin' Norman, It had snowed a bit the last few days, 3-4" at the lodge elevation, not sure how much at the top of the Mile, but it was fun. There were super fun turns in the just outside boundary area. It felt like 4-6" of corn/slush with a light frozen crust. You could lean over deep with no problem and could throw an enjoyable rooster tail. When I got up on my front foot it felt like I was almost skimboarding. Anyway, this was the one sun break I got at the top.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

What was the crowding situation like? Did you have to ride the chair with others or could you ride alone/with your party?

highme
May 25, 2001

It wasn't crowded at all. I rode the chair all day long by myself. With only a few exceptions, I rode right up to the chair. My only minor quibble was crowd management at the top of the Mile that could have been better.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I climbed up and skied down Monte Leone (3553m) today.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Awesome view. Did you have to do any hiking? Looks like the snow line is pretty high

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yeah we did a bit, a hundred metres or so. The slopes you can see in the pic are south facing so lost snow more rapidly than the North facing slopes we went upm

Snow was pretty dogshit though, especially in the middle where it was super heavy rather than just slush. Bit powder at the top though.

Also had to hike at the top up the ridge to the summit.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Wow

https://twitter.com/Arapahoe_Basin/status/1264627004785090560

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

We beat Corona, it'll be fine!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I had Corona and I think I may have picked it up in Vail.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

fknlo posted:

We beat Corona, it'll be fine!

Sounds like they have some pretty strict rules in place and with a few simple tweaks to normal operations it would be very easy to stay 6ft apart while skiing. Do you think we should just stay inside forever?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I’m sure it’ll be whatever 2020’s version of “fine” is, but I do wonder how they’re going to handle lift line spacing (understanding that they’re operating at x% capacity with x% of normal numbers) and anyone who needs to get inside to get warmed up.

Makes you wonder what December 2020 is going to look like. Also, shout out to Winter Park for installing a gondola at the literal worst possible time to do so.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

ironlung posted:

Sounds like they have some pretty strict rules in place and with a few simple tweaks to normal operations it would be very easy to stay 6ft apart while skiing. Do you think we should just stay inside forever?

I have zero expectation of people following the rules and less than high expectations of them actually being enforced. You can already find a million videos of people asses to elbows in areas where social distancing is theoretically still being enforced, it won't be any different here.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

Also, shout out to Winter Park for installing a gondola at the literal worst possible time to do so.

Sorry, this honour belongs to Vail at WB for taking out the Wizard and Solar Coaster chairs from Blackcomb and replacing them with a gondola that never works and taking away the literal only way to access that mountain without a gondola at the same time.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Abasin being open and employing strict rules is going to cause way less transmission than LoDo on, I dunno, any night of the week

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Eejit posted:

Abasin being open and employing strict rules is going to cause way less transmission than LoDo on, I dunno, any night of the week

People are quite salty about the state allowing Abasin to open but still keeping dine-in and STR closed within the county.

highme
May 25, 2001

fknlo posted:

I have zero expectation of people following the rules and less than high expectations of them actually being enforced. You can already find a million videos of people asses to elbows in areas where social distancing is theoretically still being enforced, it won't be any different here.

I haven't been back since that first day they reopened (get to build out a new home office instead) but when I was at Timberline the only person I saw violate the 6' spacing in the lift line was a child who couldn't stop. The lifty scolded her parents pretty good telling them that if we want to stay open EVERYONE has to follow the rules.

My biggest issue with it was that they explicitly asked only advanced skiers/riders come up to minimize Ski Patrol needs, but saw a bunch of families with flying wedges on leashes and a couple of groups of pure novices.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

ironlung posted:

destination liftserve skiing in may is just about the farthest thing from an essential activity I can imagine, most-we-can-reasonably-expect-people-to-follow CDC distancing regulations or no

if you live in summit or eagle or whatever just go for a hike or use the skins, nothing's keeping you literally in the house. if you don't live there you shouldn't be there, and it's definitely irresponsible to ask people to come.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Moey posted:

People are quite salty about the state allowing Abasin to open but still keeping dine-in and STR closed within the county.

Eagle and Pitkin are reopening, I doubt Summit is that far behind

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Aussie resorts are opening albeit not in the normal June long weekend (next weekend).

We have travel restrictions lifted from June 1 but interstate is still "essential only"

No word yet on how it will actually play out with accomodation and the huge lift lines when the weekend warriors arrive.

Presumably there will be only 1 person per T-bar/double chair and 2ppl per triple/quad chair.

Yes Australia still uses t-bars, pomas and double chairs on what is considered our biggest and best ski resorts.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Eejit posted:

Eagle and Pitkin are reopening, I doubt Summit is that far behind

Yup. Dine in with strict restrictions statewide on Wednesday.

Can't keep up with this crap.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Australia was the worst skiing experience of my entire life by a country mile, I imagine it'll be even worse with corona.

The race club at Thredbo/Perisher was full of great people though :3:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Skiing is an excellent thing. So much easier to social distance than biking, hiking, or climbing. Got some sweet turns near Eejit with the ladies and pup.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

HookShot posted:

Australia was the worst skiing experience of my entire life by a country mile, I imagine it'll be even worse with corona.

The race club at Thredbo/Perisher was full of great people though :3:

yeah well I'll take what I can get given that Hokkaido is probably off limits for 2021 and overseas travel in general is going to be expensive or non existent for a while yet.

highme
May 25, 2001

My wife asked me earlier today "So, what about your Japan trip next year?" I just replied, "Haven't thought about it past, 'drat, I was going to go to Japan next winter.'"

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Well, Japan is mostly back to normal or at least will be in a month or so.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Well, Japan is mostly back to normal or at least will be in a month or so.

I mean, I might be able to go to japan from Australia, but I dont think many places are gonna be too eager to open up borders to Americans any time soon.

thats if the flights/accom/lift tickets/everything isnt ludicrously expensive to compensate.

which it probably will be.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Laserface posted:

I mean, I might be able to go to japan from Australia, but I dont think many places are gonna be too eager to open up borders to Americans any time soon.

thats if the flights/accom/lift tickets/everything isnt ludicrously expensive to compensate.

Agree with you. I am not expecting to be able to travel out of the states until summer 2021. Could be wrong but that is at least my mindset to not be disappointed.

highme
May 25, 2001

Laserface posted:

My daughter forwarded an article that the Japanese federal government is looking at subsidizing tourism by paying for up to half of your lodging and airfare.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

highme posted:

My daughter forwarded an article that the Japanese federal government is looking at subsidizing tourism by paying for up to half of your lodging and airfare.

So what you are saying is your daughter is awesome and really wants you to go ride in Japan next year.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Aspen is going to hit 50% lodging occupancy this week if all the current bookings check in. I reckon travel is going to be on the table sooner than later. Whether or not that travel is responsible is a whole other question. I'm sure looking forward to a few new viral clusters popping up near me!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

highme posted:

My sister was telling me about it, sounds like a great thing to pencil in for late 2021

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Eejit posted:

Aspen is going to hit 50% lodging occupancy this week if all the current bookings check in. I reckon travel is going to be on the table sooner than later. Whether or not that travel is responsible is a whole other question. I'm sure looking forward to a few new viral clusters popping up near me!

Air traffic into Aspen and eagle has been up significantly too. Still not normal amounts but a lot more private jets than there were my last work days.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Laserface posted:

Lodging, if anything will be cheaper. Flight tickets, who knows.
Having said that, that while I'm cautiously planning a (non-snow) trip to Japan in early Spring, I also have in mind that it might not happen. Depends a lot on the 2nd wave, winter, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

spwrozek posted:

So what you are saying is your daughter is awesome and really wants you to go ride in Japan next year.

She really wants to go back to Tokyo, so I'm going to drop her off at Shibuya Station on my way to Sapporo.