Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
If you go melee a lot anyway, put link health and link armour mods on the pet, plus pack leader.

One hit with your melee weapon should get your pet to full health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I don't want to agree with angry pickle man, but yes gently caress railjack. The best part is due to the catchup mechanics a missed weekly is going to be missed forever due to having a queue of railjack blocking a doable queue of other stuff. NW was my favorite thing from 2019 and I was stoked enough at a new one to come back. Seeing it being used as a way to force their lovely new mode... it ain't great.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I used to be excited when DE would bolt on some weird new game mode, like fishing or shawzin hero or Tenno Hawk Pro K-Drive, but between railjack and liches I've come to the conclusion that maybe they need to just make new tilesets and maybe some new mission nodes. They have a sorta neat Sentient* tileset that's entirely wasted because NOBODY LIKES RAILJACK.

*they say it's Sentient, but to me it looks like a discarded Diablo 3 asset, but eh, it's not Yet Another Grineer Galleon, so I'll take it.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Railjack needs a little more polish but the recent update made nothing but positive changes, such as homogenizing the railjack mods, reducing enemy DR (imo they over-nerfed enemies, they're *too* squishy), and overall made it more accessible to drat near everyone. I'm hoping DE adds more missions and objective variety in the future. Love it or hate it, this is a huge step up from some of DE's other, less successful ideas (defection, infested salvage, conclave, etc.).

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Railjack: better than infested salvage

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
one big problem for me is the matchmaking (either I am at the hosts mercy, or I am the potential rear end in a top hat host), once we get AI crew I'll start playing RJ

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Goa Tse-tung posted:

one big problem for me is the matchmaking (either I am at the hosts mercy, or I am the potential rear end in a top hat host), once we get AI crew I'll start playing RJ

This is more or less what pushes it over into bullshit territory. Playing a worse version of exterm forever isn't exactly fun to begin with, but you need to hang out in other peoples' games for a while just to earn the right to play it. If you need to put NW up on the block in order to force people into your content then maybe your content is poo poo.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Antigravitas posted:

If you go melee a lot anyway, put link health and link armour mods on the pet, plus pack leader.

One hit with your melee weapon should get your pet to full health.

Ahh so that's how those link mods work, thanks!
I shifted him back to that cross-robot thing, but I'll bring the dog out tonight again.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The link mods just add a percentage of your Warframe's health/armour/shield to your pet. A high armour frame gives a much higher armour value than the normal armour mod could.

And pack leader is life steal, but with the incredibly high damage melee does just a few percent of life steal add up to more than the total health of a pet.

Link health and link shields become hilarious when you are playing a frame with lots of health or shield respectively, like Inaros or Hildryn.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Acht posted:

-I'm grinding something called Focus for my school. Do I just save it up to 25.000 so I can buy my first "point" in the tree?
-Should I focus doing the nightwave dailies that are in its console?
-Do I do any dailies regardless of nightwave?
-All these infestations and whatnot, should I be running them?
-Onslaught was a lot of fun. Are there specific rewards tied to it, should I run them regularly?
-Why does my dog keep dying? :(

- Yes. And once you've done that, you can choose to invest further into that skill to max it out or open up other skills in the tree to put points into. Choose wisely, it takes time to get Focus, unless you really like Onslaught.
- NW Dailies don't give you as much points as the weeklies and aren't required to get to the max tier. Do them if you find them fun is my advice. It's easy to switch to say Gas damage for a few missions.
- NW was among other things a way to give people who've completed everything in the game something to do. If you've stuff to do already, it's ignorable.
- Infestations: Do you mean Nightmare missions? Or Defection/Hive? Answer is the same: they all have some unique stuff in their drop tables you'll eventually want to have. Grinding those missions for specific drops is one way to get those things. But trading had the highest drop rates, so start doing that too if you haven't.
- Onslaught gives you a lot of affinity, so you can grind mastery and focus efficiently.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Is there a malicious player problem on your platform or something? When I play RJ on PS4 people are downright cordial to each other. Unless someone's blatantly leeching in a turret or some poo poo.

edit: gently caress DE, how long till you let us trade RJ gear to each other? I've got two nearly maxed out Vidar Apocs that I refuse to scrap cause they're so shiny and beautiful.

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 12:48 on May 25, 2020

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
Ah that makes sense, Onslaught to grind affinity and focus.
Seems I'm mostly on the right track in what I am running and doing. Think I also need to check up on Steel Meridian. Apparantly I can get some neat stuff from there, and I have the sigil on my frame to farm it up (followed the first few episodes of iFlynn's beginner guide).
I like all these different things the game lets you work on simultaneously. Weapons are a bit weird at times; Broken War with it's high crit and build-in Forma blows all melee weapons I've gather so far out of the water. I'm sure that will change further down the road.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Mailer posted:

This is more or less what pushes it over into bullshit territory. Playing a worse version of exterm forever isn't exactly fun to begin with, but you need to hang out in other peoples' games for a while just to earn the right to play it. If you need to put NW up on the block in order to force people into your content then maybe your content is poo poo.

You just have to do a single railjack mission on someone else’s ship and be around when they kill a boarding party. Like, Jesus dude, it’s not the end of the world. Having an exploiter orb fight without having an active thermia event is way worse than the singular railjack weekly.

Hell you don’t even have to finish the loving mission, just join one and do the thing and leave.

edit: logged in and checked and lmao

railjack still isn't that bad, but 8 missions of anything that isn't capture/exterminate is just tedious

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 13:51 on May 25, 2020

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Acht posted:

Seems I'm mostly on the right track in what I am running and doing. Think I also need to check up on Steel Meridian. Apparantly I can get some neat stuff from there, and I have the sigil on my frame to farm it up (followed the first few episodes of iFlynn's beginner guide).
I like all these different things the game lets you work on simultaneously. Weapons are a bit weird at times; Broken War with it's high crit and build-in Forma blows all melee weapons I've gather so far out of the water. I'm sure that will change further down the road.

I didn't answer your direct question. Normal onslaught drops Khora parts and that's a very good frame to have. ESO is a better focus farm, but the vandal parts it drops are not worth grinding for - the drop rates are in the bullshit range.

The wiki is a very good place to look up drops and rewards. https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Sanctuary_Onslaught#Rewards

Re: Broken War. It's a very good weapon. Melee in this game has more build variety than primary/secondary weapons and it got more so after the recent Melee 3.0 rework. You may want to look up some videos on melee builds eventually. No hurry if you have other stuff to do, playing with builds is legit endgame fun stuff. XandyPants has some good videos post melee rework on the new builds it made possible.

Basically, at some point after you complete the star chart and start getting into Arbitrations and other end game stuff, it's worth looking up some of the mechanics either on youtube or the wiki.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
i mean, 8 missions of railjack is about as long as 8 rounds of capture if you do a no objectives mission.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Acht posted:

Do take all beginner guides with a pinch of salt. Time flows, things change. Some people are just dumb, etc. Looking up how stuff actually works, especially once you've done Second Dream (and maybe War Within) is often better.

So when you have time and mood/brainpower looking up stuff on the wiki can be handy so you know why that advice was given and why you might ignore the advice.

And yeah, quest stuff comes with a free potato in it, and usually some polarities so it's better out of the gate.

And I guess finally just a reminder than the only thing Warframe unlocks is more Warframe. So when it gets tiring and annoying, flip it the bird.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Acht posted:

Stuff I am not entirely sure of yet;
-I'm grinding something called Focus for my school. Do I just save it up to 25.000 so I can buy my first "point" in the tree?
-Should I focus doing the nightwave dailies that are in its console?
-Do I do any dailies regardless of nightwave?
-All these infestations and whatnot, should I be running them?
-Onslaught was a lot of fun. Are there specific rewards tied to it, should I run them regularly?
-Why does my dog keep dying? :(

- try the zenurik school first, it's the best school for beginners, very forgiving and gives you a lot of energy so you can keep up your abilities. You can always swap later

-yes, they're frequently extremely easy challenges that can be done in one or two missions. As a beginner you really want to do as much as nightwave as you can because there's tons of extremely useful rewards, but also mods that you can get through the store. Get the aura mods as many as you can, but especially corrosive projection, steel charge, rejuvenation, and the damage amps. The rest are up to you.

-you should start thinking about corrupted vault runs. These corrupted mods are usually absolutely necessary for many builds and will give you a massive power boost. You can solo runs pretty easy with wukong, but it might be better or faster with a group. But do these runs ASAP

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Note : Damage Amp auras are as close to worthless as possible because all your +damage % add together and then apply. Rejuvenation is... mostly bad? Especially if you join the clan and get Team Health Restore bp off the lab. (Hotkeying your first 12 gear slots to F1 to F12 canbe handy, though obviously steam overlay and such might fight over some of them.) Corrosive Projection and Energy Siphon are both handy. Steel Charge is only really useful because it's fatter and those increases your max capacity by a fraction.

More importantly, you can get them all off clannies. Don't waste your NW bucks on them when you might need it for BPs and Nitain that you cannot trade for. The gold mods in the NW store are weird quirky PvP mods that are being released into PvE, so are mostly niche or lol.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 14:35 on May 25, 2020

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Screaming Idiot posted:

is everyone else super pumped they put railjack poo poo in Nightwave? I know I am. It means I have to engage with a mode I was hoping to ignore forever, and I for one couldn't be more pleased.

everyone cried that RJ wasn't integrated with the rest of the game, now it is

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

railjack still isn't that bad, but 8 missions of anything that isn't capture/exterminate is just tedious

Spy and Rescue are both faster than Exterminate, and normal Exterminate is still faster than the only mode in railjack. That being said, the eight missions is the least of my concern. I do animal capture and tons of other crap I'd never do if there wasn't a NW objective without grumbling too much. The two ones in my queue, specifically artillery and a boarding party, you're not going to get as the pubbie railjacks I've been on destroy everything without any group involvement and spin around like a top.

There's been plenty of objectives I've ditched in the past, specifically the ones that require preforms, but that was like 2-3 objectives for the entire season instead of one a week.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
The NW weekly for 8 railjack missions doesn't mean it has to be veiljack. You can do the piss easy intro missions with 30-40 fighters and two crews hips which can be entirely disabled now by blowing their three engines in about 5 mins per mission.

It takes longer to get out and board than it does to fire the forward artillery twice and murder all the fighters, really.

Plus it's 7k rep, on par with the other 7k this week which is a 30m survival. Similar time spent, similar reward. This isn't that bad as the 60m kuva survival bullshit that NW series 1 hit us with.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Not sure what kind of pubbies you play with but if somebody is constantly behind the wheels the other 3 can do literally anything else and you'll be fine. The greatest danger is the host because either their ship just sucks or the connection is so bad you get stuck in the void.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Tylana posted:

Note : Damage Amp auras are as close to worthless as possible because all your +damage % add together and then apply. Rejuvenation is... mostly bad? Especially if you join the clan and get Team Health Restore bp off the lab. (Hotkeying your first 12 gear slots to F1 to F12 canbe handy, though obviously steam overlay and such might fight over some of them.) Corrosive Projection and Energy Siphon are both handy. Steel Charge is only really useful because it's fatter and those increases your max capacity by a fraction.

More importantly, you can get them all off clannies. Don't waste your NW bucks on them when you might need it for BPs and Nitain that you cannot trade for. The gold mods in the NW store are weird quirky PvP mods that are being released into PvE, so are mostly niche or lol.

They're niche mods but more useful in some cases especially since corrosive projection got nerfed to hell. But anyways, I don't know anyone who has multiples of corrosive projection since the only way to obtain it now is through nightwave which means someone has to buy it. I guess there was an event where it used to be obtainable, so people still might have some extras.

Either way, as a new person you need these aura mods so get them however you can

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

he one design shortcoming of RJ that I don't see overcome by adding more context is that only one player takes his stuff to the mission. Now, obviously if you grind out max stats for your equipment you want to take it out for a spin and if you don't then you probably don't much care for the game mode and have little idea how to contribute. Though as things stand you really only need two players for maximum efficiency, with the additional two slots for people chilling in the side turrets.

Tylana posted:

Corrosive Projection and Energy Siphon are both handy. Steel Charge is only really useful because it's fatter and those increases your max capacity by a fraction.

Yeah, get those three. And maybe Sprint Boost.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I would argue that rejuvenation is a real good aura for early players whose alternatives for regaining health are very limited. Same for the energy regen aura.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I really enjoy railjack now, piloting and shooting is a ton of fun. The balancing act is I play with friends I'm on Discord with, so communication is easier.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
For real, the last balance shifted things too far to the easy end in my opinion but still, I'd rather it be too easy than the slog it was before. Get you the missile swarm, murder everythang

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Guilty posted:

They're niche mods but more useful in some cases especially since corrosive projection got nerfed to hell. But anyways, I don't know anyone who has multiples of corrosive projection since the only way to obtain it now is through nightwave which means someone has to buy it. I guess there was an event where it used to be obtainable, so people still might have some extras.

Either way, as a new person you need these aura mods so get them however you can

I mean. Have you asked in clan chat or goon discord? I gave Iretep 6 corpros because they ran out while I'd been sitting on a dozen since NW intermission 1 because I was apparently never on when newbies were asking for mods. Not like there was anything else to spend NW creds on as a vet. Used to be aura mods were from alerts like Nitain, so you just semi-passively gained them, unless DE's scheudule hated you, which is why that system was bad.

And yeah. Nothing wrong with buying or farming up stuff. But ask around first (and then if you want to be really nice, farm up one to pass on later.) On a similar note, remember you don't need a role to +3 up in chat to get a group for something. But if you want help getting past something that is hard saying "I could do with help beating this Hijack" frex is a lot more likely to get you something than "Does anyone want to do Hijack?"

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Raptor1033 posted:

For real, the last balance shifted things too far to the easy end in my opinion but still, I'd rather it be too easy than the slog it was before. Get you the missile swarm, murder everythang

This but actually tether.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

genericnick posted:

This but actually tether.

word.

railjack is stupid easy and fast now, toss a tether and one shot entire groups of fighters right after they spawn. gian point just throws so many credits and xp for zero effort.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
To put it into perspective, without the 25% faster forge speed upgrade it takes ~ 2 minutes and 45 seconds for a forge cycle to complete, and we were doing these things so fast last night that I was steadily falling behind throughout. Dogfighting the fighters does take quite a bit of time, yeah, but if they all die to space ninja-ship space bullshit you don't have to dogfight them it seems.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mailer posted:

Not that I disagree, but they did the exact same thing for Eidolons. :v:

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

MShadowy posted:

To put it into perspective, without the 25% faster forge speed upgrade it takes ~ 2 minutes and 45 seconds for a forge cycle to complete, and we were doing these things so fast last night that I was steadily falling behind throughout. Dogfighting the fighters does take quite a bit of time, yeah, but if they all die to space ninja-ship space bullshit you don't have to dogfight them it seems.

As far as I'm concerned, the battle forge avionic is 100% required for smooth operation. Take out a turret damage mod or some poo poo if you have to.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
I was thinking about the intrinsic, but yeah faster forges definitely seem like they're at the very least extremely nice to have.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Raptor1033 posted:

As far as I'm concerned, the battle forge avionic is 100% required for smooth operation. Take out a turret damage mod or some poo poo if you have to.

You can get away with artillery cheap shot, hyperflux, and tether to save you enough flux/dome charges to easily clear Gian without it but generally I agree with you that battle forge is key for anything remotely resembling a speed run

e: yes replacing 1 mod with 3 sounds dumb but I already slot the other two so it's really just using cheap shot if you don't have forge

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 25, 2020

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Mailer posted:

Spy and Rescue are both faster than Exterminate, and normal Exterminate is still faster than the only mode in railjack. That being said, the eight missions is the least of my concern. I do animal capture and tons of other crap I'd never do if there wasn't a NW objective without grumbling too much. The two ones in my queue, specifically artillery and a boarding party, you're not going to get as the pubbie railjacks I've been on destroy everything without any group involvement and spin around like a top.

There's been plenty of objectives I've ditched in the past, specifically the ones that require preforms, but that was like 2-3 objectives for the entire season instead of one a week.

I remember your situation with this and totally agree that rail jack needs more variety before I'll consider it actually good. But those rj missions that are just killing fighters and crew ships with no extra objectives can be done faster than spy and rescue missions, this does however kind of sort of require three people though. I'm a fan of how rail jack is being set up but not putting in even the slimmest version of the command intrinsics tree for people who have constant connection issues is p bad. But those are really my only two gripes with current rail jack: it needs to at least have content that almost matches the base game modes, and in this game with constant odd network issues they need to accommodate solo play.

Luckily they definitely know this, unfortunately I think command intrinsics are even further away than new rj misssion modes.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I just realized why nidus doesn't have shields

If piloting was better, I'd love railjack.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

temple posted:

I just realized why nidus doesn't have shields

If piloting was better, I'd love railjack.

Which is?

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
oof. between amalgum daikyu target acquired and argon scope it's extremely tempting to try for a headshot build. Ya'll said zaw nikanas count for the synergy, right? Headshots on PS4 are harder just by nature, I seem to have a much easier time committing atrocities on enemy nutsacks rather than domes somehow. gently caress, decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Railjack is fun as hell to pilot. I love zooming through the void in my big fat space boat, instantly shattering entire squads of fighters with my dumb flashy abilities, then watching my friend one-shot crewships with a giant laser death beam. I love space-ramming through asteroids. I even like joining the occasional pub mission where some poor idiot has brought their no-avoinics scrub-tier shitboat to Saturn, and as soon as I warp in everything is on fire and there's a hull breach and then busting my rear end to save them despite their suicidal piloting and hilarious incompetence.

What it really needs are actual challenges, because all the missions are utterly trivial. It could also use replacing the 10 or so intrinsic bonuses that are totally worthless with something cool, and actual interesting choices for ship customization (that would need to be paired with different challenging mission types and enemies). Someday, it will get there, but for now, it's fine.

If you're shedding tears of blood and rage because completing 8 missions and firing a cannon once are on the weekly list, just ask in clan/alliance chat because there's dozens of goons with decked out jacks who can grind out 8 missions in Gian Point in about as long as the single 30 min survival mission. All they need is someone who can make point-blank shots into ship engines with the artillery and someone to sit in front of the refineries and click "more dome charges" in between watching videos from their favorite youtube channel on ducks.