Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The most wild thing about RPM is that it somehow didn't go over budget despite having nearly no actual Go-Onger footage outside zord fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

man, rewatching TLA after all these years is like a waterfall of nostalgia. i know i've gushed endlessly about the show, but i'm just so amazed at how well crafted it is. even the filler episodes are immensely enjoyable. the characters, voice acting, music, pacing, animation/art, everything is so on point.

part of why it means a lot to me is what was already mentioned. but another part is that it's the last western animated series that made me feel such a way. the show also aired during a chaotic, but also really, really fun time in my life, so i have a lot of happy memories associated with it.

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, is The Dragon Prince any good?

it has good things about it, but if you're expecting a spiritual successor to TLA (like i was), it's going to leave you disappointed. i have a long list of complaints sadly, but one of the really big ones is that, similar to korra, the show suffers from really bad pacing. things move waaaay too quick, and there's not enough time for the story and characters to breathe.

SlothfulCobra posted:

That's kind of one of those questions of "how much of the quality comes from which people?" Because Brian and Mike went straight from Last Airbender to Korra, but a whole lot of the production staff didn't go along, and instead went off to other projects that had their own independent success like Dragon Prince, Clone Wars, and Star Vs.

yeah, after korra, a lot of people were saying Aaron Ehasz was the real heart and soul of TLA...then the dragon prince happened :smith:

Ruflux posted:

It's probably the good old DVD versions they used and the first handful of episodes look extra crusty. I think the picture quality improves somewhat by season two, but it's still suboptimal. I was pretty severely disappointed when I got my boxset back in the day and found out the picture quality was probably miles worse than you get with :filez: versions.

Also for compatibility reasons I bought the European version even though the American version was also available on Amazon UK and discovered they basically cut out nearly all of the cool extras, thanks a bunch Viacom! Really love that you did that! I also later discovered the old DVD player in my closet was actually region-free so it could've played the region 1 discs just fine too so I got like, double pissed off

my blu-rays just (FINALLY) came in, so it'll be interesting to compare and see how much more tolerable it is, later tonight. also, the blu-rays come with a bunch of extras (which i believe are the ones that appeared on the original dvd releases). i'd recommend getting those since they're cheap!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

The most wild thing about RPM is that it somehow didn't go over budget despite having nearly no actual Go-Onger footage outside zord fights.

I thought one of the big things about RPM was that it specifically did go over budget and prompting some Director/Producer changes

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
What I remember of the ATLA DVDs is that the commentary was a gamble each time. Some episodes you get Bryan Konietzko and Sokka's VA, or a head writer and the fight choreographer, and sometimes it's a foley artist and the guy who makes Momo noises.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The Rise of Kyoshi novel also mentions that the Airbenders were the only nation that was so spiritually attuned that every single one of them was a bender... which meant that they were totally blindsided when one of them decided to become a bandit.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

The Rise of Kyoshi novel also mentions that the Airbenders were the only nation that was so spiritually attuned that every single one of them was a bender... which meant that they were totally blindsided when one of them decided to become a bandit.

Speaking of which, is the Kyoshi novel any good?

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, is the Kyoshi novel any good?

It's a pretty fun read. Certainly grittier than the series, but nothing stupidly shitdark. I drew some Three Kingdoms parallels with the rampant bribery across the land and the Yellow Necks who are really fill ins for Yellow Turbans. One thing to note though is that Kyoshi starts out meek before becoming the Heavy Metal Avatar that we love. I personally enjoyed it.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Did they ever release the pilot for TLA without commentary?

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Tactless Ogre posted:

It's a pretty fun read. Certainly grittier than the series, but nothing stupidly shitdark. I drew some Three Kingdoms parallels with the rampant bribery across the land and the Yellow Necks who are really fill ins for Yellow Turbans. One thing to note though is that Kyoshi starts out meek before becoming the Heavy Metal Avatar that we love. I personally enjoyed it.

I heard that it was actually a lot more mature in the sense that bending was explicitly lethal sometimes and such. Was that just somebody exaggerating or something?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ruflux posted:

I heard that it was actually a lot more mature in the sense that bending was explicitly lethal sometimes and such. Was that just somebody exaggerating or something?

Doesn't sound surprising. Kyoshi IS the Avatar who unrepentantly killed people, and outright says that she considers letting Chin the Conqueror fall to his death has no meaningful difference from killing him. That and Avatar used the cartoon tricks to act like like people weren't dying when they really were.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I feel like in ATLA everyone was a bender of their nation’s type? Some more powerful than others?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The_Doctor posted:

I feel like in ATLA everyone was a bender of their nation’s type? Some more powerful than others?

No, Sokka, for instance, was explicitly not a waterbender.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pakled posted:

I don’t believe Suki and the Kyoshi Warriors were benders either. Same goes for Jet and his gang.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mentioned before that a big deal is that Katara is the last living Southern Water Tribe waterbender, and the Earth Kingdom(s) has the largest population but smallest proportion of benders. They're explicitly a minority of the world population, if an accepted and often elevated one.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Pakled posted:

Of course not, he's a Lovebender.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Pakled posted:

Oh, right. That was staring me in the face. :doh:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

kind of interesting looking back and seeing that there were a decent number of non-benders that could hold their own against benders. sort of like one piece in that regard.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Doesn't sound surprising. Kyoshi IS the Avatar who unrepentantly killed people, and outright says that she considers letting Chin the Conqueror fall to his death has no meaningful difference from killing him.

interesting given that the series played that scene off for laughs (ngl, it was one of my favorite moments)

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

Ruflux posted:

No. In hindsight, I might have downplayed the grim aspects a bit. It's like...think Korra but with a little more levity.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mr Interweb posted:

kind of interesting looking back and seeing that there were a decent number of non-benders that could hold their own against benders. sort of like one piece in that regard.

interesting given that the series played that scene off for laughs (ngl, it was one of my favorite moments)

Makes a lot of sense given bending is a widespread superpower with known strengths and weaknesses and variations, and most professional soldiers are gonna be trained to deal with it. Aang mostly blindsides people because no one's dealt with airbending in a century.

And yes, it was hilarious murder

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I still love that Kyoshi came back for the sole purpose of setting the record straight "yes I did kill Chin, because gently caress that guy"

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Electric Phantasm posted:

I still love that Kyoshi came back for the sole purpose of setting the record straight "yes I did kill Chin, because gently caress that guy"

For some reason I've spent the last decade thinking that scene being was Kyoshi coming back and explaining it was all one big mixup which leads to Aang getting freed.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

JT Smiley posted:

For some reason I've spent the last decade thinking that scene being was Kyoshi coming back and explaining it was all one big mixup which leads to Aang getting freed.

Nope, she basically confesses to everything. I think there’s a Fire Nation attack or something and Aang is freed in exchange for helping drive them off.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

JT Smiley posted:

That did happen, but LATER Aang is asking Kiyoshi for advice about how to not kill the Fire Lord and is all "but you didn't kill Chin, right? He just died of his own stupidity."

Kiyoshi is all "personally I don't really see the difference. Also, if he HADN'T killed himself I would definitely have killed him and then taken the girls out for mai tais."

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

And then the holiday they developed for honoring the avatar sucked.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Chin Village is just full of jerks.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

SlothfulCobra posted:

And then the holiday they developed for honoring the avatar sucked.

Sometimes I could go for some unfried dough.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I finished my rewatch last we and I don't know what it was but once I got to tales of Ba Sing Sae I couldn't stop balling up every time Uncle showed up. That poo poo is just rough and knowing that came out after Mako passed just made it even harder.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Iroh makes me want to tear it up on the court, too.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs6RY0wNxs8&t=143s

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

JT Smiley posted:

I finished my rewatch last we and I don't know what it was but once I got to tales of Ba Sing Sae I couldn't stop balling up every time Uncle showed up. That poo poo is just rough and knowing that came out after Mako passed just made it even harder.

you know, it's funny. i think that's like the only episode of TLA that i haven't seen all the way through.

i'm taking my time going through the series. just finished the episode the pirates and the Great Divide. Don't need to say much about that episode, but The Storm is next :dance:

speaking of which, i was watching this random youtube video about this guy defending season 1 because apparently it's the least popular season among the fanbase? is that the conventional wisdom? i always got the impression that it was the first half of season 3.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Ehh, most of Book 1 was definitely the team still trying to find it’s stride, though it still has some iconic episodes.

It didn’t help that for the longest time, we only had the first dozen or so episodes, and it seemed like they really liked to rerun the Great Divide, presumably for exactly the reason why it’s so intensely disliked: it has no connection to the larger plot of the rest of the series.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Season one didn't have Toph in it, it is automatically the worst season.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I can definitely see people feeling uncomfortable about season 1, especially as they age and mature. Season 1 of Avatar is much more of a traditional kids' show. There's a few plot moments, mostly in the B plots with Zuko, but it's very much episodic. It's the kind of thing that you might expect back in the day where a show would go its entire run with the hero bouncing place to place looking for the man who killed his wife/trying to get back to the past/trying to find the last leap home/collecting pieces of the sacred jewel/becoming the best pokemon master/explaining how the main character met your mom/really hoping peacetalks for the korean war finally take/looking for his long-lost half brother, but never getting anywhere.

At the time, it felt like a really clever story where they set up a pretty normal hero team/villains hunting them dynamic, and then things went entirely awry for the villain while the heroes had a larger story unfold for them.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

YggiDee posted:

Season one didn't have Toph in it, it is automatically the worst season.

:hmmyes:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

actually yeah, thinking about it a bit further, i can kind of see people get the impression that season 1 may be a little weak where things are a bit dull, and there's a lot of filler episodes compared to later on. there are some episodes that i recall thinking more highly of back in the day, but i think i was a little bit biased since i was still enamored with the novelty of a serialized, mature western cartoon. but yeah, the episodes relating to the main story are still pretty great, and the season finale is absolutely excellent (dare i say, even better than season 2's?)

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

also, got a bit of a possibly spicy take. an episode i found personally weaker than the Great Divide was the Spirit World. though i can't exactly put my finger on why this episode bugs me. i mean, it's more central to the main plot than TGD was, but i just found it kind of boring, even despite all the destruction going on by a giant spirit panda monster. i actually found the iroh and zuko subplot more entertaining.

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

YggiDee posted:

Season one didn't have Azula in it, it is automatically the worst season.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's amusing that Avatar and Tangled have the same criticisms - first season a tad meandering with some filler episodes until the plot kicks in properly in season 2, then becoming generally great after that. (Although I think season 2 of Tangled is a bit divisive, I enjoyed it)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Mr Interweb posted:

i actually found the iroh and zuko subplot more entertaining.

Well that's not fair, that's the case in every episode.

I vaguely remember someone (Joaquim Dos Santos?) joining the crew around episode 12 and helping them fully realize the the rest of the season. Something like The Blue Spirit being the episode where everything clicked together.

All this Avatar talk convinced me to get the blurays next week and finally revisit the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

BioEnchanted posted:

It's amusing that Avatar and Tangled have the same criticisms - first season a tad meandering with some filler episodes until the plot kicks in properly in season 2, then becoming generally great after that. (Although I think season 2 of Tangled is a bit divisive, I enjoyed it)

The only thing I have really seen of the Tangled series is that one song that I think is actually in the ending? The one that goes "Now it's time to step up or it's time to back down, and the answer is clear to me!"

It rocks, and there are several good animatics of it on youtube.