Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

fanfic insert posted:

I'd like to know if there's any good option so I dont have to carry ear protection with me all the time.

Absolutely not. Noise cancelling headphones are not PPE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
There exists PPE with built in headphones and Bluetooth and fm radios and auxiliary ins and all sorts of other things. It’s quite affordable in fact and there’s a lot out there.

But ANC consumer phones are absolutely not a substitute for ear protection Jesus Christ.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

What these two fellows said.

It’s a real bad idea to even think about it.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
To clarify, it's not really to replace PPE, it's not super loud stuff where PPE is necessary but I use it when it makes the podcast/audiobook just annoyingly difficult to hear, it's a whisk for plaster. It's just a comfort thing rather than safety thing.

I'm aware they don't protect from the dangerous sound levels, I just don't want to up my volume to bad levels in order to drown out the stuff that isn't bad levels.

fanfic insert fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 21, 2020

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I'm thinking of getting the Dark Voice to power my T1s, replacing a schiit Vali. Drop has them for 200$ but I heard that their build quality is sorta bad. Anyone here can comment on how good the dark voice is?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

fanfic insert posted:

To clarify, it's not really to replace PPE, it's not super loud stuff where PPE is necessary but I use it when it makes the podcast/audiobook just annoyingly difficult to hear, it's a whisk for plaster. It's just a comfort thing rather than safety thing.

I'm aware they don't protect from the dangerous sound levels, I just don't want to up my volume to bad levels in order to drown out the stuff that isn't bad levels.

https://www.safetyquip.com.au/pdEMS21P3EWS6/earmuff-cap-attachable-3m-peltor-ws-alert-xpi-bluetoothfmradio-mrx21p3ews6-az-headset-cl5-30db/

Use whatever vendor is appopriate for your country.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

You're looking for Etymotics, they sit deep like earplugs and so isolate 35-42 dB depending on depth and tip choice. They also sound better than anything in the same price range; Etymotic invented IEMs in 1991 and basically solved them at the same time, their basic designs have only been refined since then and they're still top-tier IEMs. You're spending kilobucks to seriously outperform them in detail retrieval and tuning.

Their deep fit feels weird as hell at first and takes a little time to get used to, but if you can get used to the deep fit they're more comfortable and stable fitting than any other IEM I've used for long-term wear. I've owned the ER3, ER4, and earlier discontinued lines of Etymotics, they're all great with very flat even tuning. You can find pictures of heads of state and ambassadors wearing Etymotics at conferences and such as they're used professionally for their isolation and clarity in scenarios where translation is necessary etc.

Personal preference is a bitch, but your own tastes aside, Etymotic IEMs are exactly what you need for your use case.

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 22, 2020

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Wheeee posted:

You're looking for Etymotics, .

Personal preference is a bitch, but your own tastes aside, Etymotic IEMs are exactly what you need for your use case.

Those actually seem great, shame the ones you linked aren't bluetooth and those that are are crazy expensive. But I can live with a cable I guess since most the other boxes are ticked.

The non bluetooth ones going to be at the least 180 inc shipping/tax so I'm going to grovel some to my boss maybe they'll pay for (some of) it.

Thanks a lot!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

fanfic insert posted:

Those actually seem great, shame the ones you linked aren't bluetooth and those that are are crazy expensive. But I can live with a cable I guess since most the other boxes are ticked.

The non bluetooth ones going to be at the least 180 inc shipping/tax so I'm going to grovel some to my boss maybe they'll pay for (some of) it.

Thanks a lot!

Whichever model you end up going with, the fit and seal are extremely important with Etymotics, so try the different size tips and be mindful that they seal like earplugs so you don't want to just yank them out. Have an extremely dorky video

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 23, 2020

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Wheeee posted:

Whichever model you end up going with, the fit and seal are extremely important with Etymotics, so try the different size tips and be mindful that they seal like earplugs so you don't want to just yank them out. Have an extremely dorky video

A little of this stuff will help with the insertion

A couple of drinks beforehand couldn't hurt, either.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Etymotics are disgustingly accurate and good. I'd be totally in their camp if it werent for the fact my canals arnt straight and they scratched the hell out of them. Oh well

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Anyone got any brand recommendations - I'm looking for decent quality/mid-range (£50-£100) wireless IEMs, preferably ones with silicon ear lock pieces (like the 'sport'-type IEMs tend to have, to keep them in your ears).

I see some stuff by Jabra out there, are they usually not poo poo?

I honestly find buying wireless IEMs a complete pain in the arse. Never seem to be any good mid-range options, only cheap poo poo or really expensive ones which still often have bad QA issues or just feature flaws (4 hour battery life etc).. hoping someone here can point me in the right direction this time!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

El Grillo posted:

Anyone got any brand recommendations - I'm looking for decent quality/mid-range (£50-£100) wireless IEMs, preferably ones with silicon ear lock pieces (like the 'sport'-type IEMs tend to have, to keep them in your ears).

I honestly find buying wireless IEMs a complete pain in the arse. Never seem to be any good mid-range options, only cheap poo poo or really expensive ones which still often have bad QA issues or just feature flaws (4 hour battery life etc).. hoping someone here can point me in the right direction this time!

Is Costco in the UK? They carry the plantronics backbeat fit for $50 (Amazon price closer to $100)

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

El Grillo posted:

I think the Jabra stuff is generally well regarded, maybe overpriced a bit. I'm not sure if you're looking for something with big ear hooks like Powerbeats Pro, or just something with smaller rubber "wings" to help keep them in place while moving around. If it's just the latter you're looking for, the FIIL T1X is all the rage on head-fi as a budget option in general. They're $50 and easy to find on amazon.com, but I don't know if you'd have more difficulty tracking them down at a good price from the UK.

I'll be doing a ton of landscaping work this summer, I've been considering picking up a pair of those just for convenience.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

El Grillo posted:

They're a little above your budget range, but the original Samsung Galaxy Buds sound excellent, they're one of the best true-wireless IEMs on the market.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Budget - Around 150$ or less, maybe more but I dont wanna
Source - PC Soundcard with Headphone Amp function
Isolation Requirements - Some sound dampening
Preferred Type of Headphone - Around Ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced with decent bass
Past Headphones - Sennheiser PC150, PC160, HD 555, Hyperx Cloud Alpha
Preferred Music - Metal

My situation: I used the HD 555's for almost 10 years, they had great sound and were super comfortable and worked great. The only problem I ever had was the ear pads wore out, but were simple to replace. What happened was I moved in with my wife just before we were married and she later moved her desk near mine. With the open back of the headphones she complained about the sound being too loud. So with that and me wanting something with some noise reduction and an attached mic that could be removed led me to the Hyperx's. I was impressed by the sound and bass, but the ear cups were too small. My ears would touch all of the insides of the cup so I had to wear them on the back of my ear to compensate. With the leatherette material it could get warm after long sessions but I got used to it.

After a year the memory foam wore down and my ears were rubbing on the inside which ended up being a common issue with these. I found a Reddit post that suggested the Brainwavz replacement pads. I got them and since they were bigger allowed me to wear them around my ear. After less than a year these started to react to my skin oils and got a sticky and itchy feel. So looking for something cooler/softer I tried a pair of their ultra suede pads. After only 5 or 6 months they got all oily and greasy. I guess my skin was more oily than I realized or something was leeching out of these. Its gross but I'm not sure what was causing it and never had this problem with the Senn's pads. I could run my finger down the outside of the pad and it would be shiny. I washed them and black dye was all over the place. I put them on paper towels to dry and they still left a oily residue that was blue/black on the towel. I washed them again and stuffed paper towels inside of them and it would leech that residue every day for days. Finally it stopped but the foam seemed to have broken down with the washing and they were not as comfortable and the sound was affected as well. I ordered a pair of their Hybrid pads but the velour they use is cheap and itchy and not soft. So I'm returning them and now I don't know what to do. I like the sound of these, but I dont need the mic anymore, and I'm not sure any of these Amazon replacement pads will be any more comfortable. Hyperx has replacement pads, but I know they will wear out in year and Ill need to wear them on ear.

So I guess I'm shopping for new headphones? I tried the new Hyperx Alpha S's. Despite them adjusting the ear pads they dont fix my issues with them. Also I feel like they are a waste since I wont use the mic and the usb 7.1 dongle they are charging extra for sucks. I read the last 10 pages and looked at the HD 58X, but fear with the open back I'll still have that issue and its bit out of my current budget. I looked at the DT770's but fear the shape will mean its going to be on ear and the grey is a turn off, but they look nice and soft. They are also in short supply it seems. I found the Sennheiser HD569 which have a closed back but have smaller drivers and impedance making me wonder if the sound will be as good. Any suggestions?

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Budget - up to $150
Source - Moto X4 or whatever future android i upgrade to, a laptop
Isolation Requirements - Somewhat? I'm not against half n half if that exists.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM wireless
Preferred Tonal Balance - N/A
Past Headphones - almost disposable Ankers
Preferred Music - Metal, Doom, Sludge, BOLT THROWER

I don't have much against the sound quality of the cheaper wireless headphones I've had in the past, but it's mainly been a problem with them staying in my ear canal, and build quality. I've gone through a few sets of headphones because I tend to beat them up, sling them around, stuff them in my pocket, get them wet, mow the lawn, jog, etc. I've always gotten "sport" headphones to try to address this.

I like the idea or ear hooks, especially if they're true wireless. I want them to stick around.

I wouldn't mind upgraded sound or mic quality, but it's not that big of a requirement.

Been looking at Plantronics BackBeat FIT 3200.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Budget - up to $150 or so
Source - iPhone 8
Isolation Requirements - IDK, not too essential
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM wired
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced LMAO
Past Headphones - Sennheiser CX100 - sound to weak and tinny to me, several over-ear Sennheisers from the 5 series that sound good to me
Preferred Music - indie folk, jazz, rap,

I need a pair of better sounding IEMs for my long walks to and from work. I like to hear detail in music and enjoy a balanced sound. Sound quality is paramount for me, followed by comfort. The options I am looking at include Klipsch T5M Wired and V-Moda Forza Metallo Wired. I would like to know if anyone has had any experience with either of these two or has another option to recommend. And getting Shures in my country is a pain in the butt, but we have Fiio, as well as most mainstream big name brands.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Klipsch and Vmoda IEMs are poo poo as are most Shures including the 215, look into Moondrop Starfield or Etymotic ER2XR.

For closed headphone guy, look into the AKG K371, it's the best-tuned and generally best closed-back headphone you can find for under several hundred dollars and is an upgrade over the old DT770 in basically every way.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Budget - up to $150 or so
Source - iPhone 8
Isolation Requirements - IDK, not too essential
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM wired
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced LMAO
Past Headphones - Sennheiser CX100 - sound to weak and tinny to me, several over-ear Sennheisers from the 5 series that sound good to me
Preferred Music - indie folk, jazz, rap,

I need a pair of better sounding IEMs for my long walks to and from work. I like to hear detail in music and enjoy a balanced sound. Sound quality is paramount for me, followed by comfort. The options I am looking at include Klipsch T5M Wired and V-Moda Forza Metallo Wired. I would like to know if anyone has had any experience with either of these two or has another option to recommend. And getting Shures in my country is a pain in the butt, but we have Fiio, as well as most mainstream big name brands.

iSine 10 can be had around that price now and you won't get anywhere close to the sound quality with anything else. They're weird though, open-back IEM.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I noticed Monoprice had some wireless earbuds that were pretty well specced (stereo blutooth 5 etc).

Are... are they lovely?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

ddogflex posted:

iSine 10 can be had around that price now and you won't get anywhere close to the sound quality with anything else. They're weird though, open-back IEM.

Do a lot of reading before buying any Audeze IEMs, and get them from a place with returns if you can't audition them first, they're all tuned with absolutely horrid wonky hosed up frequency responses and require fixing via EQ, I don't think I've seen a positive review of their un-EQ'd sound. Apparently the babby planar drivers can sound spectacular if you are willing to futz with the EQ tho

FilthyImp posted:

I noticed Monoprice had some wireless earbuds that were pretty well specced (stereo blutooth 5 etc).

Are... are they lovely?

Monoprice is almost all poo poo in general, but look up reviews of the specific model. This list has some good options in the ~$50-60 range assuming those were the Massdrops you were looking at.

When it comes to audio quality, Bluetooth version doesn't mean much as the newer revisions mostly upgrade other features of the codec, like connection strength and range, so while a newer device with Bluetooth 5 is technically preferable over an older version it doesn't really matter in this use case; what will make a difference is earphones which use AAC or aptX codecs, which are superior audio codecs to the standard Bluetooth codec, so all else being equal an earphone with Bluetooth 4 and AAC will sound better than the same earphone with Bluetooth 5 running the base Bluetooth audio codec. Most good Android phones should support AAC and aptX, while iPhones only do AAC.

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 26, 2020

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
So I'm seriously considering the RME ADI 2 DAC. Is there a recommended place to buy it? Any way to get a discount (trying to avoid that shop in the netherlands - worried about import duty)

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Wheeee posted:

Do a lot of reading before buying any Audeze IEMs, and get them from a place with returns if you can't audition them first, they're all tuned with absolutely horrid wonky hosed up frequency responses and require fixing via EQ, I don't think I've seen a positive review of their un-EQ'd sound. Apparently the babby planar drivers can sound spectacular if you are willing to futz with the EQ tho

Well, I wouldn't suggest using without a cipher cable, but they basically all come with it.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Wheeee posted:

For closed headphone guy, look into the AKG K371, it's the best-tuned and generally best closed-back headphone you can find for under several hundred dollars and is an upgrade over the old DT770 in basically every way.

Thanks for this, I looked into them and actually found a lot of recommendation for the K361's. Since they were close enough in sound the lighter weight was a bonus for me, I have a pair that should be here tomorrow.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Thanks guys, looks like I'm SOL because nobody will ship Moondrop or Etymotic to my country from within the EU, and iSines are $450 where I live.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I guess it's been asked al lot in this thread.
But it is a bit daunting.

I have pretty poo poo skullcandy bluetooth earbuds for commute and running.
and at home I usually use an ancient sennheizer HD 280 pro.
Both are starting to fall apart.
I'm looking for an affordable (50-150?) bluetooth headset that sits comfortable for hours. I remember from my dj days that some headset really sit like a bear trap on your head, and the sennheizer still has a very long cable, if you remember what that is, and it gets heavy after a while. I want something light that I forget that they're there. Also, not having to hear my envirement is a plys, but apparently you don't necessarily need noise canceling for this?

The skullcandy's I got almost for free back in the days, sit reasonably well, same with the sound.
Although the programmer who made them bleep a low battery alert every minute when it's still 1/3 charged should be dragged through the city by wild stallions.

So some IEMs or whatever for sitting on the train/jogging might be nice too. Same requirements, comfort.
I don't want the demon apple things that bleed noise for the entire train (how is that poo poo legal?).

Thanks

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Thanks guys, looks like I'm SOL because nobody will ship Moondrop or Etymotic to my country from within the EU, and iSines are $450 where I live.

Well ShenzenAudio ships free globally: https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/moondrop-starfield-carbon-nanotube-diaphragm-dynamic-earphone

Of course, check out reviews etc before blind buying anything.

As for wireless IEMs, Samsung Galaxy Buds, the first ones, sound great and are relatively cheap compared against their competition, and seal properly unlike Airpods.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

I got the K361's and unfortunately I'm going to return them and the 371's wont fix it. The headband creates a pressure point right on the top of my head and gives me a headache. I tried bigger ear pads to see if it changed it but it didnt. But also the sound isn't quite what I like either, I'm looking for a bit more bass I think.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Fingat posted:

I got the K361's and unfortunately I'm going to return them and the 371's wont fix it. The headband creates a pressure point right on the top of my head and gives me a headache. I tried bigger ear pads to see if it changed it but it didnt. But also the sound isn't quite what I like either, I'm looking for a bit more bass I think.

lovely deal, but good example of why to always buy from shops that allow returns. You have a good reference point now as well, to compare impressions of other sound signatures against. Sorry they didn't work out!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Fingat posted:

The Kennerton Vali has the high quality bass you crave but it doesn't deliver long session comfort. Also the price is pretty "no thanks" unless you get a massdrop special. They haven't been on massdrop since I got mine a year or two ago so I'm sorry.

Maybe wait a few more months and pray the Fidelio X3 is good. Release has likely been delayed a lot due to Covid-19 but hopefully still 2020.

https://www.philips.com.au/c-p/X3_00/fidelio-fidelio-x3-wired-over-ear-open-back-headphones

These could suck but I mean look at them. Let's wait for reviews and see how it goes.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 27, 2020

Fingat
May 17, 2004

I'm looking for closed back though. I moved away from the open back Senn's I had to get some more isolation, and not bother my wife. After looking around I feel like I should just say gently caress it and get the hd58x's

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Fingat posted:

I'm looking for closed back though. I moved away from the open back Senn's I had to get some more isolation, and not bother my wife. After looking around I feel like I should just say gently caress it and get the hd58x's

Have you ever tried IEMs?

They're what killed closed-back headphones, and largely full-size headphones in general, for me once I got used to putting them in since you can get better sound quality for the money and they resolve comfort issues of headbands.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Wheeee posted:

Have you ever tried IEMs?

They're what killed closed-back headphones, and largely full-size headphones in general, for me once I got used to putting them in since you can get better sound quality for the money and they resolve comfort issues of headbands.

Yes, I'm using the pair of AKG's that came with my S10 currently while the headset is ooc. I've been using a pair of Klipsch's since 2013 and replaced them with the AKG's since the cable was less annoying and they sounded a little bit better. But I only use them on the PC if I'm trying to drown out my wife watching a movie really loudly. I'm typically talking in game/discord, and or talking on stream when I game, and find it more annoying when I cant hear myself well with the IEM's. My last ear pads were ultra suede and didnt have as much isolation and my wife's desk is no longer next to mine so I'm wondering if something open back would be an option again. Like I said previously I was in love with the HD555's I had before and now I'm wondering why I dont just get something similar but a possible upgrade if I can afford it.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

sounds like a good case for saying gently caress it and getting the 58X; in addition the 58X uses the same headband and cushioning as the 6XX, and I can speak from experience as someone who doesn't like the comfort of most headphones--I didn't keep the K371 despite respecting it--that the headband on the Sennheisers is extremely comfy with no pressure on the top of the head thanks to the divot in the foam.

from the 58x the upgrade path is basically HD6XX for an extra $50, and from there anything meaningfully better costs a lot more

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 28, 2020

Fingat
May 17, 2004

What are the thoughts on the SHP9500?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Fingat posted:

Love them.
Never use them anymore. I just left them in the headphone pile at work and they were getting passed around until the 'rona hosed it all up.

I paid $45 for them a few years ago and honestly I wouldn't pay a penny more considering the options that are out there now.
But yeah they were definitely my best budget headphone purchase.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Fingat posted:

Never personally heard them but the 58X are a much higher-end product, the SHP9500 gets hype at $50 because $50, not because great.

I've gone down the cheap hype rabbit hole before and unless you're on a limited budget just step up to the $100+ price range and get something good the first time.

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 28, 2020

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Yea and the ear pads are shallow and look itchy. At that point I'd just keep the Hyperx's and just buy another set of ear pads. I'm not sure why I'm hesitant to buy them. I have the budget, just that it wasn't something I was planning on upgrading, and just got annoyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Fingat posted:

HD58X isn't closed back either. Wait a sec. Let's get creative. A recipe if you like.

Take 1x
https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/custom-one-pro-plus.html
(buy this through your nearest studio / DJ gear stockist)
- basically a Beyer 770 except with the option of more bass by flicking a switch and a detachable cable.

Add 1x
https://www.zmfheadphones.com/pads-and-cables/ori-pads
(specifically in sheepskin)

Perform ear pad swap, plug into audio jack and stir your ears for approx the length of your favorite album.

This will cost slightly more but is still a value packed proposition.