Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Dr Subterfuge posted:

An Annie existed in this universe, just not the two that are presently in it. Really interested in seeing what Kat has to say about the Tic Toc. If she's never seen one before, it sort of suggests that future Kat is keeping them secret from herself to prevent time shenanigans. And I imagine the reason she looks embarrassed is because she made, or is at least planning on making use of, a creepy surveillance bird.

Sure one did I guess, but just the other page Kat mentioned how "neither of you should be here". I mean who knows but its interesting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Splicer posted:

Theory: she made a tobot bird that can talk to itself in other timelines, while assuming other Kat's were doing the same.

She was right.

I love any theory that involves Kat interacting with the Kats of other timelines.

Twenty Four posted:

Sure one did I guess, but just the other page Kat mentioned how "neither of you should be here". I mean who knows but its interesting!

She's just repeating what the arbiter told her. Though maybe with the Tic Toc she has more information.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

i'm hoping for a good old bootstraps paradox, where kat finds spybirds from another timeline, learns to make her own to search other timelines for her annie, which inspires another kat somewhere else, etc.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
looking forward to this comic veering into heady existentialist scifi

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Ooh, this was a very unexpected turn! My mind didn't go towards the idea of Kat having built the TikToks as a time travel shenanigan, but now that it was brought up, I could imagine the TikToks being made by Kat to check on Annie in the past/other timelines? It feels pretty odd that she'd do that and I'm sure the story won't go into that direction, but some sort of a "I need to check if Annie was in timeline Y in timeframe X to verify thing Z" -mindset seems vaguely plausible.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Regy Rusty posted:

Ooh what if only Forest Annie recognizes the Tic Toc

This gave me good spooky pricklies, I love that kind of plot development. Super excited to see the Tic-Tocs finally come back into play!

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I love any theory that involves Kat interacting with the Kats of other timelines.
She's just repeating what the arbiter told her. Though maybe with the Tic Toc she has more information.

Hempuli posted:

Ooh, this was a very unexpected turn! My mind didn't go towards the idea of Kat having built the TikToks as a time travel shenanigan, but now that it was brought up, I could imagine the TikToks being made by Kat to check on Annie in the past/other timelines? It feels pretty odd that she'd do that and I'm sure the story won't go into that direction, but some sort of a "I need to check if Annie was in timeline Y in timeframe X to verify thing Z" -mindset seems vaguely plausible.

Aw, poo poo. Neither Annie is supposed to be here because she died when she fell off the bridge. But Kat's temporal shenanigans caused the TikToks to be there to save her.

Danger Diabolik
Feb 9, 2014

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Some version of Kat created these birds and sent them throughout all the timelines and realities looking for her Annie.

Mystery solved.

If this pans out the throwback style cover picture for this chapter would make a lot of sense.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

At least one of those Annies was swiped from another timeline, but yeah I guess not belonging could also include "you're supposed to be dead."

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Dr Subterfuge posted:

At least one of those Annies was swiped from another timeline, but yeah I guess not belonging could also include "you're supposed to be dead."

Yeah, they never said "neither of them belong in this time line" - it was just "neither of them should be here"

Also worth noting is that the interpreter in that scene mentioned that "normally there is no need for more than one timeline or dimension, but some creatures, like coyote, can create them if they wish." I'm guessing this means there aren't a billion timelines like the thread is speculating - maybe there's really only the two. Kat's initial line of questioning wasn't even" how do we get Annie back" but was "there's a timeline where Annie doesn't come out of the forest?" - that there's now a timeline with no Annie. I'm wondering if Kat is less concerned with making things "right" or whatever with the timelines and is more concerned with the alternate version of herself that lost her best friend, or (less selfishly) that timeline in general for not having an Annie in general.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
kat has developed a machine that will prevent the collapse of the wave function and make possible navigation through infinite eigenstates

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I'm thinking this plotline will end up being similar to the Qualia The Purple manga.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So I guess it's finally here huh?

There Bias Two posted:

I'm thinking this plotline will end up being similar to the Qualia The Purple manga.

"I had already stopped being Katarina Donlan"

or maybe

"Once more I act in imitation of light"

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
"Wow, you made a Tic Toc? What does it do?"

"Well, it can sing 'Take Me To The River,' but I need to change that now that the Annan Waters are gone."

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Honestly it'd be kind of weird if they didn't time travel, given that they're named after and make clock sounds.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I knew it'd been a long time since we last touched the tictoc plotline but I did not expect it to have been 11 years god drat. "Been a while" indeed.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Damnit I was going to post this!

But yea I agree with this theory.

Unfortunately I think I have been wrong with all my theories in this thread, so I'm really not helping our position I think.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

If time travel is a thing, there really only needs to be one Tik Tok Bird.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Looking forward to divine kat killing the cowardly kat and taking her spot, because someone has to get this done or what's the point?!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Ditocoaf posted:

Holy poo poo, I was always wondering when the Tic Tocs would come back.

Anyone who doesn't remember, these mechanical birds were around a a lot in the really early comic, watching stuff happen during dramatic moments and being generally mysterious. The only time they did anything, a swarm of them saved Annie from falling off the bridge. One of them 'died' in the process and seemed to grow machinery into the cliff face. Anja claimed the court doesn't know where they came from. This tidbit was the last we heard of them, and was also the only real hint we ever got. Other than that, they've been all but memory-holed for the vast majority of the comic.

Since nothing about them was revealed in the Deigo flashback, and Kat has an occasional thematic association with birds, some people had already theorized that they're related to her impending machine-god stuff.

EDIT: Oh yeah! And Tic-tocs make Zimmy really uncomfortable, another thing they have in common with Kat.

This has been "Ditocoaf clicks the links in the wiki and reports back".

Thank you for this post. It's been so long I hadn't remembered any of this.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

doesn't this introduce a bootstrap paradox where, if alpha annie had died during the bridge sequence, alpha kat would never have come up with a reason to develop tic tocs to save annie in the first place

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Twenty Four posted:

Just an idea, but if the Annies aren't supposed to exist in this universe, this could very well be a universe where the tic-toc's never existed before now and Kat just made the first weird spy-bird-bot in this universe, which sounds ominous if true.

Oooooor, maybe this universe where the Court is wrecked and everything is weird is the wrong universe, and forest Annie is actually the "real" Annie from the reader perspective and the entire universe is the wrong universe.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I think some of you are really leaping to conclusions here. There's no reason that it couldn't be something as simple as (for example) 'Diego created the tic tocs and Kat is reverse engineering them to do something ethically questionable, and that's what she's guilty about'.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They're pre-diego tho

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

TheDemon posted:

Oooooor, maybe this universe where the Court is wrecked and everything is weird is the wrong universe, and forest Annie is actually the "real" Annie from the reader perspective and the entire universe is the wrong universe.

Sort of the same thing to me, be it right universe wrong Annie or right Annie wrong universe, either way one or both don't belong, but this might have put it in better words then I did.

fractalairduct posted:

I think some of you are really leaping to conclusions here. There's no reason that it couldn't be something as simple as (for example) 'Diego created the tic tocs and Kat is reverse engineering them to do something ethically questionable, and that's what she's guilty about'.

But this like I said before seems like the most likely explanation, but it's fun to come up with weird theories when there is so much to speculate on right now!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

fractalairduct posted:

It's text in the comic that Diego didn't make them

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"It was created by a divine being and sent to watch over us all" tells us pretty much all we need to know I think, what with Kat now being regarded as a divine figure among the machines. I'd be interested to go way back to the old thread and see what people thought of that line when it first appeared back in 2009. :allears:

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, time shenanigans aren't even a small leap at this point. We know Diego didn't build the Tic-tocs, Anja says the court doesn't know where they came from, and Kat opened the door to this room saying "I've been building something". Also they're named "Tic-tocs."

It may still be wrong, but it's not a stretch as far as expectations go.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 10:43 on May 26, 2020

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Kikas posted:

And it all makes sense - Kat was always making the Tic-Tocs anyway. Her first idea was inspired by birds. The first thing she grew was basically a wing. Doesn't allign with her Bug-like Etheric image though.

If you look at her as being made of metallic feathers, it makes more sense.

Weren't people calling that Kat made the tic-tocs and sent them back in time somehow years ago, back when the robots first gave her the Mark of the Creator?

e:

scary ghost dog posted:

looking forward to this comic veering into heady existentialist scifi

Veering?

ee:

dragon enthusiast posted:

doesn't this introduce a bootstrap paradox where, if alpha annie had died during the bridge sequence, alpha kat would never have come up with a reason to develop tic tocs to save annie in the first place

Kikas posted:

Oh my we do have a Coyote situation.

Remember how Jones said that it is true that Coyote has placed the stars in the sky? That page and the ones that follow make a point that human belief can reshape reality in a way that can crate seeming paradoxes. Humans believing that Coyote put the stars up above made it reality, even though they were there in the first place.

So now, I presume it's gonna extend to robots. Kat is the Machine God, Kat has created the Tic-Tocs, so there have always been Tic-Tocs because logically, there must have always been a Machine God. Especially plausible since the Robots are now leaving their metal bodies and becoming "flesh" and more alive, allowing them to go beyond their programming and affect the Ether.

PubicMice fucked around with this message at 12:57 on May 26, 2020

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

PubicMice posted:

If you look at her as being made of metallic feathers, it makes more sense.

Weren't people calling that Kat made the tic-tocs and sent them back in time somehow years ago, back when the robots first gave her the Mark of the Creator?

Yeah, I think it started coming up around the time that it started to be clear that the robots legitimately see her as an angel. Around the same time as the theory that she is literally becoming a god through the influence of future robots dying.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Divinity becomes real if enough people believe it to be real. (Robots are, or are at least becoming, people.) The reality created in this way is retroactive, and it simultaneously coexists with mutually contradictory realities.

Calling that "time travel" feels a bit reductive.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Kat's thing is doing god-like things in the most reductive way possible though so there's actually some precedence.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think Kat overall has been a contributor to the comic's overarching point that there are multiple things in this world we define as magic. Things we don't think are possible are MADE possible through various means, be it spiritial belief given life by magical thinking or technology tantamount to magic because they are indistinguishable. Kat has been doing her own brand of 'magic' for the whole comic, and I think we're reaching the logical endpoint. If she can do time travel, she can do anything. I think she is struggling with the multiple Annies situation because the two 'types' of magic are about to become one and the same.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

bugs is just birds with armor

You MUST be kidding. Needless to say, this is not true.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
I'm waiting for the drop that due to her need for quantifying everything against a baseline truth/reality, Machine Goddess Kat ends up thinking Jones into existence at the beginning of time.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

yeah actually they will posted:

You MUST be kidding. Needless to say, this is not true.

I looked it up just now and it's totally true.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Welp! Absolutely wouldn't have expected the story to go in this direction just a couple pages ago!

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

:golfclap:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Kat seems a bit too aware of what's going on here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Kat seems really troubled by the fact that she built this time bird.

Hey, guess what I predicted immediately before Kat opened the door to reveal the Tic-toc?

Ditocoaf posted:

I've always thought that the interpreter's answer was phrased in a way that doesn't necessarily mean "the Annie that was previously in this timeline is gone" but rather "no Annie 'should' be here because something about her is uniquely unnatural". Kat even immediately asked "what do you mean" and was denied clarification.

If I'm going to turn out to be right, this seems like the scene where the proof would drop.

"In an unmeddled timeline Annie would have died years ago" definitely counts. I'm cashing in my moment of gloating. EDIT: not to take away from Wa11y's more specific called-shot, though.